Friday 15th February 2013

Morning.

Lyrics - Lazy gilly was a flower child

RFJ - sounds sensible if you want a good performance on Sunday.

How about you Dustin - are you still doing the double at the weekend?

You fully recovered now NZC? Hope you can enjoy your run with company on Sunday.

Blisters - great that you're happier with your swimming. Persistent pays.

What:                     rest or 30 minutes easy with Grace
Why:                      tired but may need to destress after work
Last hard:              eating three courses last night
Last rest:                4/2

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Morning!

Yesterday's lyrics were Cupid (draw back your bow), Sam Cook

What: 22 min walk to hospital

Why: brachytherapy

Lyrics: no idea!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Morning all & happy Friday
    LMH - great to be able to throw in 20 milers "easy" ; - )
    eating 3 courses is never hard, maybe thats my problem...
    Blisters - good work in the water
    AleH - good luck today...
    RFJ - your decision may well influence mine....did 6 easy with the club last night, all of whom running 10 or 20 on Sunday, so rather than run two half hearted races, its better to get one decent race in. Saturday will be a 4 hour round trip, for an hour easy jog on mud that I can experience 100yards from home. Sunday is a 15 minute drive (if that) with a load of club guys....
    what - 2 or 3 easy
    why - ease up ahead of Sunday
    last rest - a week ago
    last hard - making racing decisions
    lyric - no idea
    have a great weekend

• Morning

40min: good to see you, I will be home in May so may end up racing you soon enough!

Today is DD1's B'day, he's hyper

What: 12 miles easy

Why: its what a long run consists of at the moment cos it's all about the bike

Last hard: yesterday's swim set

Last rest: 27.01

Lyrics: not a clue
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

What; I wanted a 10km run, but it's snowing and I'm not allowed to get the cast wet, and if I run with a plastic bag over it, it'll still get wet, just from the inside!
    Why: I'd like to get some training in for this half!

Good luck today Ale
    Happy birthday little DD
    Dustin
    hope you managed to make a decision

Fingers crossed I can get out in the next hour, but it may have to wait till the weekend...

Have a good one all.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

hyper happy birthday to dd1

alehouse, good luck today

what: little gym work,tai chi

why: rest day

last hard: weds

last easy: yesterday

have a good weekend all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Hi all!
    What: Nothing today. But I am going to get my medical certificate sorted for the Paris half after work... 
    Why: Resting before Brighton half on Sunday. 
    Last hard: Monday 6k (curtailed from 11k due to knee).
    Last rest: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Left knee was really uncomfortable yesterday but seems ok today. Could have been the weather?! Really hoping to crack 2 hours on Sunday..............
    Lyrics: Nope.

• Supposed to be a rest day but ended up doing 13 miles easy.  Will rest tomorrow! 

Lyrics - no!

• Morning all (it is morning over here)

Eee happy birthday DD!  Enjoy hyper, hyper is good, and goes well with running.

NZC - glad it's nothing serious.

Delighted to see 40min still doing the scary stuff.  Btw, son1 has returned to flatland, along with his partner, so playing on Dartmoor won't happen so often, schade.  Take colds seriously and keep the moving parts in order, yes?

Alehouse - had to google brachytherapy.  It seems I missed something. However, we can only run with the bodies we've got, and I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes, once you're out of the elites, if you see what I mean.  Onwards, upwards, whatever.

Me? A happy trot up Corey Hill in Brookine, where I am staying with my mum. It is a lovely hill, and I have a very good view of it from her flat in the Senior Centre.  It was a lovely day, but with a high danger of black ice - the mega snow is crisscrossed by canyons (pavements) where the trickle of melting snow in the day freezes to a glaze of ice overnight.  So I took real good care over potentially skiddy bits..

..and kissed the concrete on a perfectly dry stretch, where my attention strayed and I didn't take in a minute unevenness of pavement.  I expect to have a black eye and a stiff hand for a bit, which should amuse my mother's colleagues at table.

You don't have to have PD to fall over - some of you have demonstrated that - but I believe it helps.  My mum was gracious enough not to make "you shouldn't be running.." noises.  She Knows better.

This place has not only got a hill, but my mum's flat is on the 7th floorimage.

Take care all.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Oh no, not another victim of the ice image  Stickless take care.

Donaldo a 13 miler does not count as a rest day!

• stickless - ouch - good to hear you still in good spirits though! image

emzap, definitely not!  It was just such a beautiful day and I had to drop my wifes car off at her work....which happens to be 13 miles away so instead of getting the bus home, I just thought I'd run it!  Tomorrow I shall not run a single step!

• Stickless
    Great to read your posts again!
    I was wondering about your son & GF, hope they enjoyed their brief time in Devon.  I  recall spending a bit of time with them in a pub on one of our club social events, don't recall what the event was, but I recall the pub...

DD
    Home in May, possibly Ivybridge 10K then?  I'm sure you can find the start line.  Hope birthdaty celebrations go well!

Me?  Enjoying a rest day, long run of 26.2 Kilometres tomorrow.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Well I did it, got out for 4 miles, I think the slowest I've run for about 5 years...just can't run fast and keep my balance though right now, so concentrating more on the mileage than the speed.  Feeling very very unconfident about this half now...am going to sign up for a 10 miler that's next weekend i think to see how I get on!

Donaldo pleased to hear it wasn't considered a rest day!

• Ouchy ouch, Stickless image. If it's any consolation ... I still have huge scars on both knees as well as my right hand from a November tumble. Black eye sounds mean image

donaldo wrote (see)

Supposed to be a rest day but ended up doing 13 miles easy.  Will rest tomorrow! 

Lyrics - no!

13 is not exactly a rest day, donaldo image. Enjoy tomorrow's rest.

what: 15 miles at dark o'clock this morning image
    why: MLR of the week
    last rest: Monday
    last hard: Wednesday
    lyrics: no

• Afternoon!

Stickless, that sounds painful. Indeed plenty of falls, we'd better invest in a stock of Arnica/Traumeel cream, gel and pills. 

LMH: I am positively envious of your ability to knock out 20M that easily. But you give me something to aim for! I'll start with aiming for what Donaldo and Chickadee do midweek image

What: 10 repeats of car park stairs=1040 steps, + run there and back for 1hr10' total

Why: not even a mole hill in sight for hill training

last hard: that was

last rest: thursday

lyrics: nope

• Oh Stickless - not you as well.  Hope  you are ok otherwise, as well as you can be. 

Take care everyone  kissing pavements is not to be done 

My mum would have said put more water in it next time. Recover well

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Pammie that's what my Grandma says too!

• I took donaldo's rest day - but will probably do less miles tomorrow than he has today!

Sorry to hear about your fall Stickless, there does seem to be a lot of it about. Hope you heal quickly.

Tinebeest - it's been a long time coming.

Alehouse - hope it went well.

emzap - I admire your determination to still do something!

chickadeee - your commitment puts me to shame.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Evening

My pc froze when trying to start this thread this morningimage

Oh well

What:4M Steady

Why: Just getting back.

Catch up soon.

• Evening!

Thanks for the kind thoughts! For Stickless (and others who missed last autumn's news) I had an op on my Achilles on October 17th, and whilst recovering discovered that I had prostate cancer, hence today's treatment (brachytherapy= radiooactive seeds implanted into the prostate).

Everything seemed to go to plan and after being admitted at 7.30 was back from theatre by 11, and home for 4.30. It will be months, or even years, before we know how successful things have been. Back in 6 weeks or thereabouts for first check up which I believe will include a scan. Feeling a bit bruised this evening, and I guess it will be worse in the morning. Only to be expected!

I too, had problems getting onto RW this morning: I was going to start the thread but could only get on through my phone and I couldn't be bothered to fiddle with it! I know from other threads that others have had problems this week, too.

Please can you all stay on your feet!! And please all recover quickly from the falls!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • donaldo: Some rest day !

• What: Office threw a lunch party to mark my 25 years in the practice
    Why: Joined the practice on Monday 15 February 1988
    Last hard: the last 25 yearsimage

Lyrics: as usual I haven't a clue

All the rest of the long suffering team got a medal today
    (no prizes for guessing what for! image)

Good going donaldo and Chickadee
    Fingers crossed AH

Back to usual routine of swim and LSR tomorrow.

• Alehouse - hope you recover well from the treatment.

Stickless - must be our age - can't stand upright! 

Little Miss Happy - I haven't run since Tuesday, pretty bruised. I was going to try today but might try tomorrow - not sure that it should be a long run though!

Other half - 25 years - quite some time - are you a lawyer/doctor?