Total Immersion

Hi guys, 

I've got a 90 minute swim analysis booked at a total immersion studio on Saturday. Has anyone had one before? What should I expect? Did it help? Did you have any follow up coaching?

Comments

• I had a series of TI lessons which were all filmed and given to me on DVD but I felt at the end of it all that there was far too much focus on balance in the water and far too little on actual stroke mechanics.. I'm no faster now than I was at the start, although I can swim long distances without tiring. But how much of that I can attirbute to TI I don't know, since I've done a lot of self-study too, particularly on SwimSmooth. 

Everyone's different though.. you may find it's just what you need so an open mind is best I feel.

• Thanks Bokster. In your opinion do you think its worth having lessons on stroke mechanics too?

• I need help with every aspect of swimmimg image. Your TI instructor may take a different approach from mine, but personally I would have expected the whole stroke to have been dissected in the time we had. Endless drills holding yourself in different positions is just boring (IMHO).. but see for yourself, it may be good for you!

I would ask though before committing to a course of lessons exactly what you will be doing in those lessons..

• Thanks Bokster. I guess its just a matter of 'suck it and see'. At least now I know what to look out for! Much appreciated. image

• Hi Mat

I'm having TI lessons and I love it. I started with a 90min analysis which was very useful. I was filmed swimming and then my stroke was broken down into good bits and what could be done different. We then went on to do some basic balance drills and talked about what I wanted to get out of my swimming, and if TI was right for me. 

I'm a bit faster now, but when I started I couldn't swim much distance fc at all and had to keep alternating breast stroke. I can now do a comfortable 1000m all fc so its helped. But apart from that I love my lessons. Where are you going or did you go? 

• Bokster wrote (see)

I need help with every aspect of swimmimg image. Your TI instructor may take a different approach from mine, but personally I would have expected the whole stroke to have been dissected in the time we had. Endless drills holding yourself in different positions is just boring (IMHO).. but see for yourself, it may be good for you!

I would ask though before committing to a course of lessons exactly what you will be doing in those lessons..

Yes, the balance drills go for a while and you think you are getting nowhere, but then it comes together. I'm now concentrating on arm recovery and the 2 beat kick.  I like to have things to concentrate on, for me it makes swimming more interesting. 

• Interesting SD... I was told that the 2 beat kick would be the very last thing since it was so difficult to coordinate with everything else, and everything else needed to be very well drilled first... just shows how even within TI, there are different approaches.

Pleased it's working for you, you must be looking forward to putting it all together when summer comes!

• Cheers SD. I'm going in about an hour! Its the one over in Surrey. Englefield Green?

I'm new to swimming FC and hadn't swum anything for over 10 years. Ive had a few lessons recently and I do 2k in about 34mins in a pool at a comfortable pace. I not sure my technique is particularly good though. I'm just strong and have lots of integrated buoyancy. AKA Lard! That's my theory anyway!

• Is that swimsolutions? I go there! Tracy is ace and a mastercoach. Trust her, she's good. 

• I find the 2 beat kick quite easy and it feels more natural than the flutter kick. It was taught to me by a stand-in coach when Tracy was ill, she was planning to teach it me later but I liked it so I've stuck with it. I only ever concentrate on one aspect a time anyway. Thats what I like about the TI approach. 

• It is indeed! m seing Tanya. I think Tracy mght be away at the moment. Anyway, Ive just had a power nap and now m off now. Wish me luck! 

• *wonders how Matwitt got on*

• It was a really interesting session. Even just a couple elf changes made a huge difference to the ease of swimming and a much better body position.

She confirmed my thoughts that Im not technically good. I just do a reasonable time through smashing my way through the water! Not the most efficient way of doing things.

I'm not 100% sure it is the answer over more traditional technique, but I'm intrigued enough to have some lessons to see how it develops.

She was a great teacher. Not just explaining what to do, but why as well. That's important for me. I need to understand the 'why' to buy into the 'what.'
  • Good the hear it went well. I love going there. Shame its so expensive, I haven't told him indoors what I've spent. image

• Good stuff Mat - actually 34 mins for 2k in a pool is pretty good anyway so if you can maintain that pace and be less knackered it can only be good image

• Thanks Bokster. I feel pretty good at that pace anyway. I just know that as Im so heavy (17stone at 5'9) that my run is going to be really weak. So I want to improve my swim even more to try and compensate. I've also found that swimming, more so than anything else, helps me shift the lard!

I haven't mentioned to the GF how much it costs either. I think she will turn blind eye provided I continue to get slimmer! Though she wasn't too happy when I 'accidentally' won an auction on eBay for some new wheels! I only wanted to find out out whet the reserve was out of curiosity. Honest!
  • You'll never improve your swim times as much as you can improve your run times, particularly over longer distances - what distances are you training for?

And the cost is the very reason you want to be sure that you'll get the results you're after - it takes a great leap of faith to accept that you'll have to spend a fortune on doing drills that don't seem to be getting you anywhere before you move onto "real" swimming - if I were you I'd want to know exactly was going to be taught in each of the lessons that you'll be paying for, a sort of "syllabus" as it were...

• Soupy, have they taught you to swim and talk at the same time yet?image

Apart from that, I have no idea what you are talking about two stroke kick etc but it must mean you are waaay better than me now. Roll on Thorpe!

• Very Valid point Bokster. I took that from your previous post and have asked them if we can have chat before agreeing lessons, so I know exactly what I will be learning. Its expensive stuff and its obviously a big time commitment too.

I have no idea what a two beat kick is either! Sounds like something a drummer might do? Are you musical Soupy?
  • Nothing musical about me lol. No sense of rhythm at all. The 2 beat kick is when you kick with the opposite leg to arm entry.  

Trouble with a "timetable" as such is that someone might take longer to work through some drills than others. Its not just balance either, but timing and muscle memory. I'm  sure TI is not the only way of swimming and it will suit some more than others and I'm wary of getting evangelical about it.  I just enjoy it. 

• Blimey Soup, you're talking all posh. I'm lost

• You lost for words Dusty? Thats a first. image Can't wait for ow season. 

• I agree Soupy. It was less of a timetable and more of a 'what will I learn and where will it take me'. 

Its too soon for me to know whether Total Immersion is for me or not. What I do know is that Tanya is great teacher and even if its not for me, I will leave as a better swimmer fot it. 

I guess you must be local to me Soupy? Are you going to the Triathlon show in Esher on March 1st? The total Immersion guys have a stand there apparently. Theyve reccomended I go and try as many different energy gels as possible!

• I'm planning to go Mat yes, And on fb there was mention of Terry Laughlin being there at the stand too. I think Tracy is in the States with Terry at the moment. image

I'm in West London - where are you? 

• I didnt know Terry would be there. That'll be interesting. Do TI have a facebook page?

Im in Farnham Common, near Gerrards cross. Just moved out of London a couple of weeks ago. 

Im looking forward to the show. Especially as Friday is free! image

• https://www.facebook.com/pages/SwimSolutionS/266488843377220

I know Farnham Common - go to Apex sports sometimes and bike round Burnham Beeches.

• Thanks for the link Soupy. 

Ive only just moved there. So Im getting to know the area. Ive heard burnham beeches is a good place to bike. Ive only walked the dog there so far!

Perhaps I might see you next Friday at the show then! Not sure what time Im going yet, but Ill post when I know. Must remember not to take my credit card. Too many shiny things!