P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• Go CazGo Caz ✭✭✭
    Good advice NN and Lit. I agree there is no point in racing if not up to it. It's annoying but at least it's not VLM this weekend!
  • Did the 13 miler this evening.  Got a bit carried away with a new pair of trainers and did it in 1.32.

Will feel it on my 20 miler tomorrow morning.

• Off for a four mile plod on a flat stretch of road with some hmp strides in it in readiness for tomorrows little jaunt around Wrexham ind est.

HeOw and Craig - I am no 528 and will be getting there in good time for a mile or so warm up if you guys are available to day hi.  Have felt vaguely off all taper but thats nown new. If I can get myself to mile 3 somewhere near PB pace and feeling relaxed gonna give it an almighty whirl. If not its a pmp training session for the last 10 miles.

SR - speedy stuff

Lit - nice MLR.

Ten - Rapid stuff.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Hello. 7 slow miles along Thames this morning, with a few half hearted strides. Have got rid of family, now on a tour of various London pubs withal visit to the emirates in the middle.
  • Mennania - What is your target time for the half tomorrow

• How exactly to you measure these strides and what pace do you do them, I have never done them.

• Did last weeks 20 miler this morning - did a half marathon race last week.

Wasn't as tough as I thought it would be considering I did a 13 mile run last night.  Had to switch Saturday and Sunday around as visiting parents tomorrow.

• Craig, would be great yo get 1.23.xx but everything will have to come together for that.

Strides are a short increase in effort to a much faster pace then hold it for a short period and then return to aerobic pace. So today I did 3 x strides with 250 m at hmp
  • You are supposed to be in good control and hold good form up and down too.
  • Mennania, best of luck in your half tomorrow, we'll all be rooting for you.

Related - what's people's thinking on a pre-race warm-up routine? In my last half, I did a couple of miles accelerating up to HMP 5 mins before the start and it felt like a good thing. But with bigger races e.g. VLM is it even possible?

• 5 milre recovey for me whan the Wife gets home from work, nice & easy.  Keep the legs fresh for tomorrows half in Wrexham.  Feel very well after week 2 of P&D.

• And best of luck to you too Craig. Do you have a target time / race plan?

• No real race plan, go off hard and fast until the wheels fall off and hang on until the end. lol.  Somewhere around 81 minutes would be nice, not raced a half for a while. 

• I am shitting a brick re Wrexham Half tomorrow - I feel this race is make or break for me mentally and if I can do myself justice, it will be what turns my marathon mentality around. I know realistically, if I can do 7:35 for 6 miles in training, no problem, not feeling like it is an all out effort, I should be able to do that in a flat half marathon on freshish legs. (been a recovery week for me).  If I don't, I am not racing hard enough... I just don't seem to be able to truly race a Half, I mentally just ease off.  I did too many last year so vowed this year would only truly race 2.  One of them is tomorrow.  What should I do pace wise?  Go out around 7:45m/m?  My last flat half wasn't truly raced, that was 1:44:20 7:56m/m - that was back in Sept. 

Mennania - I am race number 368, I will have Green Helsby vest on, have blonde hair in a ponytail, probably black headband in. 

• Best of luck HeOw!

My 2 cents: like you say, if you were managing your lactate threshold miles @ 7.35 then 7.45 should be ok. I'd say aim for 7.50-55 in the first mile to check all is well before settling into 7.45 rhythm. See how you go and then when you've passed the 10M mark notch it up if you feel like you can.

• HeOw chill you will pb whatever , you are at least  same pace as  me and my last half back in May on a hilly course on less mileage was 1.44...don't wear yourself out with too much wasted nervous energy and dont go off too fast set the garmin pace average to 7.40s (7.40s would give you around 1.41 which would still be a pb )or whatever and dont go any faster until the last couple of miles ...you may even then be doing yourself an injustice who knows what you are capable of..but its faster than 1.44...trust me...image

Hoping for 1.17-1-18 for my 10 mile race, weather looking good at least image

• Al runs - thanks for the support - I am looking forward to it now.

HeOw - will look out for you before the start - I will most likely be in all black (Its a johnny cash thing).  It is a flat course and you are gunning for 1.40 i think(7.36mm)? HMs are funny things, heres my record to date;

1.42 Lake Vyrnwy2007, 1.34 Lake Vyrnwy20010, 1,28.54 Chester2011, 1.28.48 Wrexham2012, 1,24.42 Chester may 2012.

My point is that you are looking to improve by 4+ mins, which is clearly doable, particularly given your training for VLM. You have no need to panic - you are probaly better placed now to race a half than previously. I think take the first one or two easy at 7.45 mm and then move upto 7.35 thereafter. See how you feel at 7 and 10 and adjust up if you feel you can! Wrexham last year was meant to be a pmp session but I felt so good I ramped up the last 6 to PB.  The weather looks perfect, you have done the work, just execute it nowimage

• Good luck with the 10 miler NN!

• H,

If you have been doing your tempo's at 7 35 then your should do your half at that pass easy even without a taper. With fresh legs on a flat course you should smash it. Aim to start out at 7 35 then accelerate for the last few miles. If you have been following the schedules you should have the endurance.
  • Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow!

And HeOw, I think you're nervous about the HM because you actually know you're in the best possible shape to PB and that makes you feel like the stakes are even higher because you think you should. So like Surrey Runner says, just trust that you've done the right training and everything else right, and go for it.

I'll be thinking of all you racers while I'm out doing my LSR and I'm hoping for some impressive race reports to inspire me for next week. 

Caz, what did you decide in the end?

• Ah there you are young Lit...my ribs are still sore from Pilate's !! 

• not that young... I teach 18 to 22-year-olds, so I feel like an old lady all day at work. I expect the pilates teacher found out you said it looked easy and decided to get revenge. Good luck with the 10 miler!

• Hope you get your planned time NN!  Enjoy the race.

Good luck to anybody else racing too.  I've totally lost track since this thread went ballistic.

• Good luck to everyone racing tommorrow. I've been quite of late as I've felt absolutely knackered! Overtraining. lack of sleep (two toddlers) and a few niggles all took their toll this week. I've had a nice few easy miles for the past few days and nothing more and feel a bit better. I think I nearly lost my running Mojo, but hopefully tomorrow's race will bring it back (if it goes well!).

Looking forward to hearing everyone's P.B's tomorrow. Go smash it everyone.

• Go CazGo Caz ✭✭✭
    Lit - feel quite a lot better today so did a slow 5 miler but definitely did not feel like I could do a 10k PB tomorrow! These things can take a while to fully recover from, as I found to my cost once in an HM. So have decided to run part of the VLM course tomorrow instead, aiming to do some at MP. Then will do a half in two weeks time as planned. Very best of luck to everyone who is racing. I look forward to hearing how you get on.
  • Brilliant advice from you all - thank you so much, you have made me feel more positive.  

Literatin - you have hit nail on the head - I know my fitness is best it is ever been, I just wonder whether my brain will allow me to push through the pain barrier and execute a decent PB.  I will do my best.  My first ever race and HM was Sept 2011 (so 17 months ago) and that was 1:57.  If I manage to get near 1:40, I will be chuffed to bits.

Chris - I hope you are ok and please, respect the mileage mate and keep to the pace...  I didn't respect my hilly trails and nearly collapsed in M&S 10 days ago from sheer exhaustion.  We have to find the happy medium as we all have busy lives.  You gain nothing from caning every session, like I said, no-one awards medals for running recovery run/easy runs too fast. 

Mennania - hopefully we get to meet. If not, good luck and if you hang around a bit at the end and see me flag, please scream "F*CKING MOVE IT DICKHEAD" to spur me on... image

Good luck NN, I did 1:18:14 on a hillyish Stockport 10 miler in December - you will smash it.

Go Caz - seems a very sensible plan.

• HeOw - my first race was a HM in Sept 2011 too!

• Oh, and Men, please yell that at HeOw even if she isn't flagging.