Talkback: Your First Half-Marathon (Preview)

Im very new to all this. Just booked into the Chester half marathon in May. I am fairly active, do about 4 runs a week on average about 4 miles each. I go to the gym, do other various cardio activity. I only started really pushing myself at the new year though. Just a bit worried I might be jumping the gun a bit here. I'm determined to do this though, does anyone think I may be a bit pushed for time?Thanks!

Comments

• No you've got loads of time if you apply yourself. If you make those 4 runs part of a plan you will be ok.

• Probably.

Most of us follow a training plan. I do it to get myself ready for race day without having to plan anything. If today is Wednesday it's 8 miles easy kind of thing.

Tomorrow I am on long run Sunday and doing 14 miles.

BUT!

Well done for sticking your money on the table and wanting to give it a go. Look at your next one for June or July. This gives you enough time to get the miles in your legs.

Right now I'd say aim for a 10k which you should handle easily. And get race day experience.

But keep looking for that half. They are probably taking entries now.
  • Whoops!

It's in MAY. Thought you said March.

Don't see why not. Get a training plan from the site. Calculate the weeks to go until race day.

And get on with it!
  • Hi Claire, well done for signing up! You have lots of time. Assuming that you have no injuries or illnesses which might require customised training, pick one of the Runners World training plans and follow it each week (printing it and sticking it onto the fridge might help). Follow a healthy eating plan and make sure you rest properly between runs. I ran the Macclesfield Half last year and really struggled (i'd trained in London on flat terrain) so make sure that you train for the course if it's hilly. It might be worth ditching the other cardio stuff and just focus on running, stretching and core strength - and eating a shed load of carbs. You might not have time for much else!! Let us know how you go and enjoy it! 

• Hi Guys! I am very new to RW and also just signed up for the my first Half marathon in May! I was doing really well in my "pre-training" training plan when I got injured! I had got up to 9 miles and felt really comfortable, alternating hills and flat running. Tread mills and outdoors, sprint sessions and long steady runs. I've felt like I've ticked all the right boxes when it comes to training for my first half! Can't put my finger on how, when, where or actually what it is I've done, but all I know is I'm out of the running game for a few weeks until my physio can hopefully give me some help! I have the most bizarre symptoms which come and go but mainly in my left quad/groin/glute/hip area! I sometimes have full range of movement and can still get into positions you wouldn't think possible with a typical muscle strain or tendon tear, but as soon as I weight bare for too long or walk a short distace the pain is aweful? can anyone relate?? My training is meant to start in 2 weeks for the half. Any advice or tips would be most welcomed! Thanks! 
  • Thanks for all your replies everyone! I'm well on form for the Chester half marathon and have just entered the Bolton 10k to get me in the mood. Followed a training plan to the best of my ability but my job has had me all over the place recently. I think I'll struggle but ill do it. Now we just need some nice weather!
  • Doing a marathon is a very pleasant thing. You can meet many people in that arena. You can also get acquainted with a lot of runners who are new.
    watch house online

• ive just booked into the full marathon for October (Chester!).. better get training hardcore now. 

• wiggly wormwiggly worm ✭✭✭

Take it the half went well then Claire?! It's a fab race isn't it and perfect running weather yesterday. Good luck with your move up to the full distance.

• Claire u need to up distance a little to enjoy race more. Work your way up to 12 miles running at 7/10 perceived effort.