Sunday 17th February 2013

Todays lyrics:People try to put us d-down

Waiting to go and collect oldest son from a party.

Wish he'd hurry up and phone !

Rest day today.

Comments

• Morning!

Birks: be patient...I was told yesterday by my eldest that I couldn't expect the party that he is intending to go to soon wouldn't finish before 3. Fortunately he won't be expecting a lift.

Lyrics: yes!

And yesterday's were: "Goodness Gracious Me", Peter Sellers and Sophia Loren. 1960! But covered by Rowan Atkinson and someone as of last week. Probably for Comic Relief or similar.

What: a walk or three

Why: had 3 short walks yesterday which are supposed to help post-op. Boredom relief! Mind you they are likely to be short as I guess I will still feel bruised.

Wabo: did you say "Goodness Gracious Me" to all that Parly Hill mud?

Dustin/RFJ: enjoy Bramley! At least the weather is likely to be better than lately.

Any other races? If so, enjoy. And enjoy those long Sunday runs.

M??
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning!!

Thought I'd start the thread today (waiting for daylight) but birks & ale beat me image

Birks: hope you didn't have to wait too long in the end.

what: 22
    why: Sunday is LSR day
    last hard: Wednesday
    last rest: Monday
    lyrics: somewhat familiar but have to google to be sure

• Little M.iss Happy wrote (see)

chickadeee - I find that swimming is good for core strength. Can you front crawl? Good cross training too.

image I know swimming is great, but I hate it, LMH. It's ok in the summer when I can use a nearby lake but the Chlorine in pools is killing me. My skin doesn't agree with it at all. And no, I can't do front crawl for more than 4 strokes image. I rather do more planks, methinks image

• Morning.

chickadeee - so your first 20 of the campaign is a 22?!?

Hope you got some sleep birks.

How did yeaterday's walks feel Alehouse? Any ill effects?

What:                a ride on the road bike
    Why:                 weather/road conditions are good enough.
    Last hard:         still last year
    Last rest:          15/2

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Felt a bit bruised, LMH, especially going downhill! As for sitting...
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

No Bramley for me......

we (Jnr and I) had a very frighteneing experience last night, where basicaly as we walked back from the shop we were threatened with being glassed and were subjected to a tirade of disgusting verbal abuse... we ran out of the situation (literally) and got home safe. Jnr then went into Traumatic Shock whilst I was speaking with the police, so had to call an ambulance too. All is well now, but Jnr wants me to take him to Church. So thats the new plan, will still do around 20m for the day but in 2 runs so we can give Jnr the cover and family support he need.. (That was one of the most frightening experiences I have been in....)

1st run - 6.5m at just under 8mm

Take care

• Not nice, RFJ:  hope Jnr is OK. There are more important things than our hobby sometimes! I hope that the police are able to collar those responsible.

• RFJ - bloody thugs! Hope you are okay today.

10 miles easy this morning - absolutely beautiful morning here, clear blue skies, warm enough for shorts and hardly a breath of wind.  77:17 for me today, legs a little tired from the unplanned long run on Friday.  Got a new Garmin 405 - very impressed with it today - simple to use image

• Hope it soon eases Alehouse.

Sorry to hear about your awful experience RFJ. I hope that Jnr is able to recover from it quickly.

Shorts donaldo? It's only 5C here at the minute!

• Anything above 3C with no wind = shorts weather! image

• RFJ: Not pleasant,

Tinne; Congrats

Stickless: Ouch and I hope your enjoying the states

Ale: Hope you beat the boredom

Chick: You do like your long runs, another early start no doubt

Birk: Hope that son made it home

What: 3.5 hours sat on my bike across the desert
    Why: Ride across Britain approaches
    Last Hard: That was, the ride is a loop and as I made my way around so did the wind  and i ended up cycling into the wind for at least 2/3rds of the ride.
    Last Rest: 27.01

Lyrics: Nope 

• Crikey, RFJ, what an awful experience to go through image. Hope you and Jr. are alright again. Big hug to both of you!! Did they want money or were they simply violent thugs wanting to provoke a fight?

22 rather unspectacular miles d&d. And LMH is right, the first 20 was indeed a 22 image I did 19 a few weeks ago though. The 20 was scheduled for last weekend but feeling rotten I didn't get to run last Sunday so I thought I might as well do 22 today.

Epic bike ride, DD! It will be a very different story training back home!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Just wanting a fight, no demands for cash,

well done on your 22 Chickadeee

Nice riding DD

• Good luck to all the racers out there today! 

7D: great racing! And good luck with waiting for the PhD stuff. Until Friday evening I was wondering if I would be unemployed again come August. (Mum was looking forward to a live-in gardner, though). There has been lots of waiting and disappointments, so I am over the moon right now.

RFJ: Oh my- I hope that everyone will be ok, emotionally. That is difficult stuff to come to terms with. And what Alehouse says.

AH: ouch... bruising should start to fade soon, though?

Nice bike ride, DD. Is the sand an issue for bike maintenance? It used to be for the soldiers’ equipment and weapons, I remember.

Chickadee: neat LSR. Unspectacular but solid, that is good foundation work.

What: 8M slow, 9-1 run-walk ratio

Why: would love to do 20, but being realisticimage Run-walk-run is good for keeping niggles at bay

Last hard: that certainly was

Last rest: Saturday, unless cleaning the entire flat + grocery shopping counts?

Clearly still a lot of work to do before the great Saunders Lake adventures. But the positives: food and hydration went alright, just need more breakfast; no aches or pains; felt great to be out there, at 168 and 169 BPM (thanks to Podrunner). This week the hunt for the rucksack and other paraphernalia will start, and I will check out the gym at the uni’s sport centre. I have access, just never used it, and I think some strength training would be useful.

Site is slow and not letting me post... 2nd attempt.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

afternoon all,
    RFJ - truly frightening , there are some complete scumbags out there. I hope both you and jnr are fine today, obviously wishing you all the best.
    Chicka - nice little run there!!
    DD - epic saddle work. Are you doing lejog or jogle? I'd love to do it one day, so a bit (a lot) jealous..
    What - 10 miles at Bramley
    Why - its 10 minutes away
    last rest - Friday
    last hard - today

Well a splendid day for a run, foggy when I left the house, sunny by about mile 3, making me glad I opted for just the vest. Felt for the guys who had base layers on for the 20 miler: it was positively spring like as I was getting changed.
    Not quite sure what to make of it really, crossed the line 70:14ish, so hope to go under 70 with the chip bits and bobs. Admittedly I have a cheap GPS which measured my run at 10.1 miles, so must have done some weaving in the opening miles. Splits all fairly consistent at 6.55ish plus about 40s for my extra 0.1...So on the upside I'm pleased to have run it all so consistently, on the downside I'd have hoped for something like 68-69 minutes. Still a decent pointer for the spring races. 

Enjoy whats left of the weekend. 

• Good luck to all the racers out there today! 

7D: great racing! And good luck with waiting for the PhD stuff. Until Friday evening I was wondering if I would be unemployed again come August. (Mum was looking forward to a live-in gardner, though). There has been lots of waiting and disappointments, so I am over the moon right now.

RFJ: Oh my- I hope that everyone will be ok, emotionally. That is difficult stuff to come to terms with. And what Alehouse says.

AH: ouch... bruising should start to fade soon, though?

Nice bike ride, DD. Is the sand an issue for bike maintenance? It used to be for the soldiers’ equipment and weapons, I remember.

Chickadee: neat LSR. Unspectacular but solid, that is good foundation work.

What: 8M slow, 9-1 run-walk ratio

Why: would love to do 20, but being realisticimage Run-walk-run is good for keeping niggles at bay

Last hard: that certainly was

Last rest: Saturday, unless cleaning the entire flat + grocery shopping counts?

Clearly still a lot of work to do before the great Saunders Lake adventures. But the positives: food and hydration went alright, just need more breakfast; no aches or pains; felt great to be out there, at 168 and 169 BPM (thanks to Podrunner). This week the hunt for the rucksack and other paraphernalia will start, and I will check out the gym at the uni’s sport centre. I have access, just never used it, and I think some strength training would be useful.

• Yay Tinebeest!

RFJ - what a horrid experience. Hope the both of you can put it behind you.

7D - impressive - not many do double races.

Chickadee - very nice.  When is your race?

DD - Not fun when the wind seems set to confront you.  When is your race?

Me? Stairs, 9 flights, 756 steps.  Why? SLMM may be a ways off still (July), but then again, I am a ways off from being able to do the SLMM!.  Had considered a run, as I like running in the snow, but confidence is a bit dented after the tumble.  Good call, I think, because it is a proper blizzard, the snow racing past the windows like commuters at King's cross.  It's something best appreciated from within, mug of tea in hand.

No lasting damage from the tumble, although I do have a very fetching black eye. I bandana round my head, the addition of a couple of rings in my ear and a dagger between my teeth and I would look the part convincingly.

• Hope you're not as disappointed as you sound Dustin.

chickadeee - unspectacular is good for 22 miles in my book!

Such a beautiful day to be out on the bike but just stuck to my two hours as planning a LSR for tomorrow and didn't want to take too much out of the legs - which aren't exactly used to a 10 mile run the day before a long ride either - they seem to be coping well and I have a session with the smt booked for tomorrow evening anyway.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

not at all LmH. I'm reasonably happy, more so with the consistent splits. Just need to do some more short races, work on the speed!!

• Glad to hear it!

• I'd take your 10mile time, Dustin. Well done on the even splits.

Tinebeest & stickless: good training, both of you. Can't be easy to train for a mountain event on flat ground. I find stairs a killer ...

stickless: my marathon is on April 21, same day as VLM. I'm running in Hamburg.

RJF: that's even worse. Threatening people just for the fun of it. How sick and disgusting!

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Evening all

What: 6.5 miles
    Why: my boyfriend decided he wanted to join me so planned a 12 km route.  However, combination of cast being unbearably hot and sock getting a hole so blisters forming made us cut a bit short.
    Last hard: the heat under my cast (I was in shorts and tshirt and it was 2 degrees...
    Lyrics: nope

RFJ how awful. I hope Jnr and you are ok.
    Dustin and 7D great racing
    Tinebeest  yay, congratulations!  When are you off?
    Ale hope the bruising goes down soon, ditto stickless

Off to doc tomorrow to look at arm...fingers crossed the cast comes off for good!
    Have a good one all.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the support, it really does help (for us both), thanks

on top of the 6.5m earlier before Mrs RFJ went out and I took Jnr to Church, all back now, meaning that I could get back out for part 2.... anger and pent up aggression inside means poor pacing or faster runners... ended up doing 16.6m in 2:10, so 23.1m for the day.....

Hope all goes well at the doc emzap

Stairs are killers Stickless.... well done

• RFJ - just glad you are safe - it could have been awful. Hope your son is o'kay. Amazing that you were still able to fit your mileage in.

chickadee 2 x 22 milers done - you must be pretty happy with yourself.

Stickless - good stairwork - after my fall, I don't think I'd have had the confidence to do stairs! I nearly fell over again yesterday. I gave myself a stern talking to!

Dustin - nice 10 miler.

Emzap - good luck at the doctors. I find it amazing that you guys are now having a heatwave in the winter.

Alehouse - doesn't sound good but I guess it's doing it's job. Good luck - I did know the lyrics of "Oh doctor I'm in trouble" - I'm always singing that to my 3yr old gdaughter!

What: Decided to bite the bullet and do 20km very easily. Hadn't run since Tuesday as thighs too bruised. Still felt like I had rocks in them, but I did it.

• Well done for getting out there NZC. I must admit that even though it's two weeks on I'm still a little wary of falling again.

• RFJ. That sounded like a sticky situation. Watch out for changed behaviour patterns and mood swings in both of you. I can still recall THAT DOG, the one that bit me when I was about 14.

Some great mileages being reported, and the streets around here were thronging with people on their LSDs too.
    "other exercise"
    and a swim this evening.

And for motivation, I've just entered the Shakespeare Marathon in Stratford. April 28th