Hoola hooping for strength training?

Hello, I'm new here! But I'm about to embark on my first half marathon! As part of my training one my rest days or on my strength/circuit training days I wanted to hoola hoop! I started doing it two years ago, as I hurt my back. I'm a freelance gardener and have a very physically demanding job and the hoop really really strengthened my core. If you do it to an intense enough level, lunges, movements, dancing, and all through the body from legs to shoulders it's bloody nackering! Can I use this effectively for my marathon training too? Any advice or info much appreciated. Hannah image

Comments

• Well it won't directly enhance your running - but if you're doing it on a rest day and it doesn't interfere with your running - then why not.
  • cougie wrote (see)
    Well it won't directly enhance your running - but if you're doing it on a rest day and it doesn't interfere with your running - then why not.
    Hmm, would a strong core not enhance running Cougie?
  • I have a day in my weekly training to do strength / circuit training and I was thinking of the hooping to replace say swimming, or weights. It really is a fantastic aerobic exercise, and core strengthening so I was thinking would it compare? It's a cheap and easy thing for me to do, I already got the gear etc. thought if I pushed the tempo up maybe it could help?

Thanks for all your comments. image
  • Go for it. A strong core is really important in marathon training. While it's not going to help with running the distance or make you go any faster a strong core will help you  avoid a whole load of injuries.