Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Orbs, its always a good time when there be beer at the end!
  • Hi everyone. Back from a little break on the Olde Island and back now in the land of chocolate and beer. Haven't read back but I I se on this page a cracking new HM PB from Simon - wow - 4 mins something off is excellent.  For all those struggling on your long runs and feeling like you are expiring in the last couple of miles - well done - keep up the good work. It is supposed to be tiring.  This deep fatigue is an indicator you are training properly.  It is the stress to your body that prepares the way for adaptation (aka - getting stronger). So be reassured, not worried.  If your long runs were feeling easy all the time - well that would be a reason for concern.

Got in a couple of runs in the UK including a very icy run up and over one of the Moors in Chesterfield. There was a road on the top which was just compacted ice and I was wibbly-wobbling all over the place as I hadn't taken trail shoes with me. Thankfully, very little traffic.

Had my first outing in SHORTS today which always feels lovely. A sign that good things are to come. Almost 22km, taking it pretty to steady to begin with but pressed on a bit in the final third (Strava always counts waiting time and I met someone in the parc who wanted tochat about my dog*). Nice to clock a HM time of 1:33:26 on the watch and maybe an indicator that I can perhaps turn up my training intensity a notch. I'd like to add a bit of base mileage so I have the platform for adding some LT stress.

*It's a doubly nice feeling seeing my Border Collie curled up in a ball, tired out. This almost never happens image

Anyway, nice to be back. Have I missed anything important?

• Just seen the results no wonder Denis was happy at the finish
  • 36 miles for me today in 7:09. First proper run since November and it was more of an effort than it should have been. Having said that, it was a tough course and mostly uphill. I feel fine and am still without injury or blisters. I think my experiment with the hoka's, no orthotics, high protein, low carb diet and mostly liquid fuelling have come to a natural conclusion now. This works and minimalist running is the way forward for me..

It's been a good day...
  • ClagClag ✭✭✭

Dark Vader - that's awesome!!! Well done you!

Half marathon PB for me today - recorded 1:42:26 on my watch so I'm delighted (my previous PB of 1:47:12 was set in 2008 while training for my first marathon & I haven't touched it since). Very happy indeed, especially after a really tough session last week where my 20 miler felt hard all the way.

• Anyone looking for a Paris Marathon entry? I have two I can no longer use.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

DV you are a monster as ever. 21.4 for me at the Buttermere round in 2:35. A respectable outing and a course PB by a whisker- 1 second faster than last year!

• Nice one DV, that's some going after such a long layoff.

TD - you take the dog for walk and throw in a 1:33 HM??

Welcome back!

Well done Clag. Did you do Kinloss - Lossiemouth?
  • And 1 second is a long time OO! Well done.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Very promising clag, racing and hard training don't mix, but this will pay off as you wind down to race day.

• ClagClag ✭✭✭
    I did Simon. Were you there?
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

+1 for all that's been said, PC and James. This is the hardest part of the training and you're aiming to be prepared at the Start...not for the runs you did, tired, some 7 weeks before. Tomorrow's the start of a new week.image

And well done, all the racers! What a lift, Simon and Clag.If today's weather was inspiring, you're going to love the Paris spring. *Where are you, Denis? 'sounds as if you had a great day out, too. *

A 36 mile comeback....It's tiring just to think about it.I'm off for a lie down,DV.

• Clag - yes i was there. Really enjoyed it. And the stovies and doughnuts afterwards. Mmmm.
  • Well done all, sounds like some impressive running today.

• Simon, Clag - Well done on the PB'simageimage

DV - Awesome as always!

TD - Amazing half  marathon time..........in a training  run!image

Nice running RR/TJB.

Finished work at 1pm today, and headed out as soon as!! Think spring or maybe our summer has arrived - 11 degreesimage 10.6 miles D&D all very slow but quite a consistent pace. Never had any water with me today, and learnt that working from 7-1, and only having 2 mugs of green tea was not clever fuelling for my run. Stopped by mums for some water but in future I think I need to prepare slightly better!image

• Simon and Clag - well done both. Although...you were on foot, weren't you? Simon's new car wasn't involved at any pointimage ?

DV - I really don't fancy the high protein low carb thing but it certainly seems to be working for you. Good effort.

OO - a course PB's a course PB image.

TD - shorts? Madman image .
  • Great running Simon, Clag, TD.

Also Orbutt - great 26k, well up there. You sorted now, injury wise?

Brighton Half today - perfect weather and I'm sure there were many speedy times. Not from me I fear but really enjoyed it. My sister was 10 mins ahead of me - and this was supposed to be the race I was going to pace her to a sub-2. She caned it in 1hr52 - and I went over 2hrs!
  • Also - great running OO, TJB and RR - and all the rest I missed!
  • Cheers orbutt. Some good running today. 36 miles dv that is impressive.
  • RR - I think I might be able to run faster than my new car with it's tincy, wincy wee engine.
  • I have met Dave today!!! His avatar doesn't do him justice

We actually from the same club.

I am recovering from Wrexham half marathon (hot bath waiting). I haven't seen the results butI am happy with my race. I have 7 weeks to get some speed in my legs
  • Tough long run for me yesterday morning, just one of those where things just seemed harder, but 21 miles in the bag nonetheless. 

I'm always keen to get up early and have my long run out of the way on a Saturday morning, usually getting out the door for 6am. Yesterday was no exception and I was away whilst it was still dark. After the lovely weather on Friday I left the house thinking it'd be glorious sunshine within an hour into the run. Well the sun had come up, but I also noticed that both my hair and eyebrows had frozen by 7am, it really didnt feel THAT cold!

Moral of the story; be lazy and have a lie-in!

On the subject of long runs, how nice is the feeling when you finally get it? It's like a 'glow'; job done, rest, food, drink. relax.....until it all starts again on Monday!

• I'll have you know my avatar is the famous Parisian lover, Cyrano de Bergerac

I'm so pleased Denis is happy.... 35th o/a would make me happy !
  • DV - well done! 

Welcome back TD

Well done all those PB's and all the long runs.

I managed 18 miles today at 9.39.  Cold but sunny. Last 5 miles were a bit of a struggle - not sure why. Now to put the feet up and watch a movie - The Sessions.

• Spring is in the air and the thread is getting speedy, Paris must be just around the corner. Well done to everyone running today be it racing, crazy distances or just out training (I say just, 1:33 for a half is not 'just').

Bedders I wish I had the motivation to get out of bed at that time, I'm normally lucky to be heading out for my run by midday! I do so like to sleep.

I tried something new on my long run today. It was just 11 miles so nothing like some of the distances people are doing here but it's long for me at the moment. Anyway I ran the last third with increasing speed and finishing with a flat out sprint. It felt pretty good to be honest. 

• HS - Good going. It's a good sign if you can finish strong like that.

Bedders - That's early alright. If I'm out the door for 9am for my long runs I'm happy.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    IM2 - all fingers crossed but the calf has been behaving itself so any aches and pains are of a good type image

Denis, sounds like you knocked it out the park. Congrats
  • Well done all. Sounds like a good weekend all round.

Orbutt - Blackpool Half on Wednesday? I must have made a mistake???

Last week's was.......

.....long pause like what they do on the telly to create artificial tension......

.....and a bit more of a pause to turn the tension into a dramatic reveal.....

.....Marathon Man, starring Dustin Hoffman.

Feb 20: Blackpool Half - Orbutt.
    Feb 23: Standish Hall Trail Race - DLR. Tarpley 20 - Megs.
    Feb 24: Malta Marathon - Emmy.
    Mar 3: Brugge-Oostende 10-mile - Emmy. Hogweed Hill Half - Straycelt. Paris Half - ATM. Silverstone Half - Jimbob, Megs. St David's Day 10k - Yer Maj. Surrey Spitfire 20 - Tiddy.
    Mar 9: Regent's Park 10k - RR.
    Mar 10: Loch Katrine Half - Eggy.
    Mar 17: Liverpool Half - James B, Orbutt. Reading Half - Jimbob.
    Mar 18: St Anne's 10-miler - DLR.
    Mar 23: Coniston 14 - Iain M. Thames Path Ultra - DV.
    Mar 24: Brentwood Half - NGUG. Forest of Dean Half - Ward. Harewood House 10k - DLR. Hastings Half - Tiddy. Lexington Half - Straycelt.
    Mar 25: Warsaw Half - Wiol.
    Mar 30: Crete De Spa Half - Emmy. Dallas Half - Straycelt.
    Apr: London-Paris-London: DV.
    Apr 7: Paris Marathon - Ben, Damon, Captain Freedom.
    Apr 14: Edinburgh Rock N Roll Half - Helterskelter.
    Apr 21: Antwerp Marathon - Emmy. Great Welsh Marathon - Malcs. London Marathon - Eggy, Straycelt.
    Apr 28: Chirk Sprint Tri - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    May 4: Bewl Marathon - Emmy.
    May 5: Mont St Michel Marathon - Princess Fi. Richmond Half - Tiddy. Richmond Marathon - Emmy.
    May 6: Milton Keynes Marathon - Emmy.
    May 11: Kintyre Way Ultra - ATM. Mallorca IM70.3 - Engineer.
    May 12: Great Ethiopian Run half - RR.
    May 26: Edinburgh Marathon - Tiddy. Mull of Kintyre Half - Helterskelter.
    May 27: London 10k - Jimbob.
    Jun 8: Luxembourg Marathon - Emmy.
    Jun 9: Bala Half Ironman - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Jun 15/16: South Downs Way Ultra - DV.
    Jun 23: Shrewsbury Half - Yer Maj. Torbay Half - Jimbob.
    Jun 29: Giants Head Trail Marathon - Emmy.
    Jul 8: Paris Tri - RR.
    Jul 14: Northumberland Coastal Run - Iain M.
    Jul 16-18: Badwater Ultra - DV.
    Jul 16-22: In The Long Run (Bratislava to Brussels) - TD.
    Jul 27-28: Thunder Run - Malcs.
    Jul 28: Ironman Switzerland - Engineer.
    Aug 3: The Devil O The Highlands Ultra - Kaz.
    Aug 5: Dublin Half - Straycelt.
    Aug 10: North Downs Way Ultra - DV.
    Sep 7: Medoc Marathon - DV.
    Sep 9: Bala Olympic Triathlon - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Sep 15: Great North Run - Iain M, Jimbob, RS, Tiddy..
    Sep 21-22: Cotswolds 102m ultra - DV.
    Sep 22: Ladybower 35 - RR.
    Sep 29: Berlin Marathon - DLR, Emmy, Iain M, Jimbob, Kaz, Neil B, Orbutt, RS, Suzy M, Tiddy.
    Oct 6: Cardiff Half - Yer Maj.
    Oct 8: Jersey Marathon - Princess Fiona.
    Oct 26: Beachy Head Marathon - Yer Maj.
    Oct 27: Frankfurt Marathon - Emmy.
    Nov 3: New York Marathon - Tiddy.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Dec 27: Wiol's birthday.
    Dec 31: TD's birthday.
    Jan 3: OO's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 19: DV's birthday.
    Jan 29: Kaz's ginormous dog's birthday.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.

• Weedy - Marathon Man, eh? One of my favourites...

Also, can you drop me in for the Ponteland Half Marathon, March 10th?

Cheers.
  • Georgia Half for me Mar 17th