being sick again, still be able to hit my marathon target?

hi everyone

I know there's a lot of information about what to do when you miss one week during your marathon training, but I've missed more than that now...

I got the flu at the end of week 5 (of 16) and was able to train again 1,5 weeks later (so I missed two of my long runs). The first week was a bit of a struggle and I wasn't as fast as before, but I was quickly back to normal again. That wouldn't have mattered much I don't think, but now (week 9) I got a stomach virus on Thursday which means that I can't really eat anything at the moment without feeling sick. I missed another long run at the weekend (so 3 in total) as I just have no energy at the moment and even though I don't want to miss any more runs I think I will miss a few still as I still have a stomach ache and can't eat (except for very little each day).

Do you guys think I should readjust my goal time or doesn't it really matter that I missed almost 2 weeks of training already? Maybe it's just me freaking out a bit but I really don't know if it matters much...

Thanks in advance for your answers, Livia

Comments

• the major problem is the fact you have missed 3 long runs and these are the most important runs......and you can't just go to the normal week when you feel better as that would mean ramping up the mileage on the long run instead of building up slowly......

i would reconsider your goal time..but bear in mind everyone recovers differently.......it depends on how the next few long runs go and how you feel after them.....

what have been the distances of your last few long runs......

• What is your target time ? is it your first marathon ?

As SN says the longs runs are the  most important sessions and missing 3 already means alot of catching up to do  , trying to add too any miles would set you back again

• my goal time is 3:45 and yes, it is my first marathon, that's why I'm so unsure... My long runs so far have been 18 km, 20 km, 22 km, sick, sick, 13 km (still not feeling good), 24 km, 26 km, 14 km (again, not feeling good). I'm planning on doing my next long run on Sunday (28 km) and then do 2 30 km runs. And I know that you shouldn't make up for lost training, so I won't try and do two long runs in one week or something crazy like that image

• I take it that you are a fast runner at the shorter races then Livia to go for a sub 3:45 for the first one.....and have been running a few years..........

so you know your long runs aren't going well......i would think that 3:45 is going to be a tough ask....but there again if you are a fast runner over short distances and young then maybe you can prove me totally wrong....hope so..........image

you need to get a few runs in over the 30k .. but you also need to let your body recover form the bugs or your immune system might be low and you pick up a third......

so your plan looks ok but i would be really careful of the next one the 28km one....and really slow it down and don't push it all at.........even shorten it if you don't feel right...........

if you feel ok the next week then carry on with the 30km

good luck.its horrible when illness gets in the way of training image

• 3.45 is a decent time for a first marathon - but as you've missed 3 long runs I'd think you need to change your goal time.

But the race is weeks off so no need to rejig much yet ?