Target 26.2 - First Timer Steve's Journey to Paris

Comments

• Hey Steve,

It was me that ran with you for the first few miles!! Well done on the race, excellent time!

So, this is my first post as I'm usually a stalker and not a contributor...it's all too scary!

• Hi again Steve, 

well, as I said on the phone, you lot have all surpassed yourselves this weekend image I'm sure you're now thinking about what your marathon goal might be - I'm so pleased with how you're getting on but as you said yourself in last post, the limited experience of long runs is a factor we need to consider before going crazy and putting you on the elite startimage

My suggestion for now is to work with a goal pace that is a tad over a minute per mile slower than your half marathon pace - so 8.35. This is a sub 3.45 finish. I've adapted the paces for this week's long run around this time and this will be a good insight into how manageable that feels.

I've also adjusted (slight understatement perhaps!) your pace guidelines and some of the sessions for the upcoming training, so have reposted the next 3 weeks here. 

Hope you're recovering well from yesterday. I managed to go flying on some slipperly mud near the end of my long run and bruised my hip as well as my prideimage Running through Rye on a busy Sunday afternoon with one whole leg and arm covered in slick mud was slightly embarassing!

So here's the revised paces and plan:

Jog (Recovery) = 9.20-10.00 mins per mile

Comfortable (Easy) = 8.10-9.15 mins per mile

Steady = 7.30-8.05

Fast (Tempo) = 7.10-7.25 (Or for intervals 7.05-7.15)

Speedwork - dependent on distance

Week 10 w/c 18th February
    Monday 5 MILE JOG
    Tuesday REST OR CROSS TRAINING
    Wednesday 6 MILE BUILD-UP (From 8.10-7.20)
    Thursday REST
    Friday 6 MILE COMFORTABLE + 4 X ACCEL STRIDES
    Saturday REST
    Sunday LONG RUN 17 MILES: 7 MILE @ 9.35, 5 @ 9.05, 5@ 8.35 (17 MILES)
    MILEAGE 35

Week 11 w/c 25th February
    Monday 4 MILE JOG OR CROSS TRAINING
    Tuesday 4 MILES EASY
    Wednesday 2 MILES WARM UP THEN 4 MILES FAST (TEMPO) 1 MILE EASY (7)
    Thursday REST
    Friday: 5 MILES MARATHON PACE
    Saturday TRAINING DAY (5km time trial plus other - APPROX 7 MILES)
    Sunday REST
    MILEAGE 27

Week 12 w/c 4th March
    Monday 4 MILE JOG
    Tuesday 2 MILE COMFORTABLE then 3 x acceleration strides then 4 x 800m in 3.10-3.20 per rep with 3 min jogs in between each then 2 x 400m (in 1.31-1.35) with 2 min jog between reps. 1 MILE COMFORTABLE (6.5 MILES)
    Wednesday 5 MILE COMFORTABLE PLUS 3 X ACCELERATION STRIDES
    Thursday REST
    Friday 4 MILE STEADY
    Saturday REST
    Sunday LONG RUN: 2.45-3 hours comfortable
    MILEAGE 38-39

• Massive well done on the new PB! You smashed your time!

• DS2 wrote (see)
    Steve - brilliant work mate!!! Looking great for Paris now.

What time are you thinking of aiming for?

Thanks DS2, I'm so much more confident now about the whole thing after the weekend. I'm also eager to see just what I can achieve in the next couple of years with a fantastic, proper base of running behind me... Exciting times image

As for the time, I'm fully following Sam's advice on that one!

• RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

Last 5km a PB!

1 hr 38 mins that is AMAZING!!!!!! So pleased for you and goes to show what a good training schedule and a motivated person can do together.

Glad gels worked and also good that you know you need a race belt as this is what "dress rehearsals" are all about!

Did you manage to try carb loading day? 

Well done and loved the race report. 

Hey Ruth,

I know! I can't wait until my next 5k run now!image Thanks for the kind words - I've looked back over it and it just all seemed to go so well from preparation through to execution so I'm really chuffed. Paris, ici je viens!

The gels were completely fine so I was really pleased that you recommended giving them such a thorough test out but, yes, a belt will be a great idea for me! I didn't mind carrying them in my hands but it would be a lot more convenient.

I did indeed try carb-loading. In fact, I was looking forward to it for weeks!! It wasn't anywhere near as fun as I thought it was going to be though, it just felt like I was completely full all day and I just had to keep on and on eating!

I pretty much followed Ady's plan but with a couple of things substituted in from the example plan you also posted. I ate a LOT of pasta that day...

How much should you eat after a long run? I figured I didn't need to go crazy because I had pre-loaded the bulk of the energy I would use during the race but obviously you do need to re-fuel again afterwards! When I got home I knocked myself up a rather unusal but actually really delicious prawn and asparagus Madras. Went down a treat image

• Aliya Razzaq wrote (see)

Hey Steve,

It was me that ran with you for the first few miles!! Well done on the race, excellent time!

So, this is my first post as I'm usually a stalker and not a contributor...it's all too scary!

Hi Aliya,

So sorry for not remembering your name! It was a bit of a manic day and we ended up speaking to so many people that names just became a bit of a blur! Everyone should have their names on their tee-shirts, it'd make things a lot easierimage

In all seriousness, having you to run alongside and chat with for those first few miles really did help and I barely noticed I was running as we chatted so thank you so much for that. I know you were saying that you had a poor posture like mine, but you looked alright during the race, so whatever you have changed seems to be working. Head up and eyes on the prize image

How did the rest of your race go? What time did you get?

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Hi again Steve, 

well, as I said on the phone, you lot have all surpassed yourselves this weekend image I'm sure you're now thinking about what your marathon goal might be - I'm so pleased with how you're getting on but as you said yourself in last post, the limited experience of long runs is a factor we need to consider before going crazy and putting you on the elite startimage

My suggestion for now is to work with a goal pace that is a tad over a minute per mile slower than your half marathon pace - so 8.35. This is a sub 3.45 finish. I've adapted the paces for this week's long run around this time and this will be a good insight into how manageable that feels.

I've also adjusted (slight understatement perhaps!) your pace guidelines and some of the sessions for the upcoming training, so have reposted the next 3 weeks here. 

Hope you're recovering well from yesterday. I managed to go flying on some slipperly mud near the end of my long run and bruised my hip as well as my prideimage Running through Rye on a busy Sunday afternoon with one whole leg and arm covered in slick mud was slightly embarassing!

So here's the revised paces and plan:

Jog (Recovery) = 9.20-10.00 mins per mile

Comfortable (Easy) = 8.10-9.15 mins per mile

Steady = 7.30-8.05

Fast (Tempo) = 7.10-7.25 (Or for intervals 7.05-7.15)

Speedwork - dependent on distance

Week 10 w/c 18th February
    Monday 5 MILE JOG
    Tuesday REST OR CROSS TRAINING
    Wednesday 6 MILE BUILD-UP (From 8.10-7.20)
    Thursday REST
    Friday 6 MILE COMFORTABLE + 4 X ACCEL STRIDES
    Saturday REST
    Sunday LONG RUN 17 MILES: 7 MILE @ 9.35, 5 @ 9.05, 5@ 8.35 (17 MILES)
    MILEAGE 35

Week 11 w/c 25th February
    Monday 4 MILE JOG OR CROSS TRAINING
    Tuesday 4 MILES EASY
    Wednesday 2 MILES WARM UP THEN 4 MILES FAST (TEMPO) 1 MILE EASY (7)
    Thursday REST
    Friday: 5 MILES MARATHON PACE
    Saturday TRAINING DAY (5km time trial plus other - APPROX 7 MILES)
    Sunday REST
    MILEAGE 27

Week 12 w/c 4th March
    Monday 4 MILE JOG
    Tuesday 2 MILE COMFORTABLE then 3 x acceleration strides then 4 x 800m in 3.10-3.20 per rep with 3 min jogs in between each then 2 x 400m (in 1.31-1.35) with 2 min jog between reps. 1 MILE COMFORTABLE (6.5 MILES)
    Wednesday 5 MILE COMFORTABLE PLUS 3 X ACCELERATION STRIDES
    Thursday REST
    Friday 4 MILE STEADY
    Saturday REST
    Sunday LONG RUN: 2.45-3 hours comfortable
    MILEAGE 38-39

Hi Sam,

First of all, hope your hip is alright! I did the same thing when I did my knee - you do get some really strange looks when one whole half of your body is caked in mud, don't you?? I know a really great physio if it doesn't start getting better quickly. Her name is Sarah and she really knows her stuffimage

Thank you, and you're right, I was wondering about marathon time but I totally agree with you about the lack of a proper base of longer runs heading into this training plan - let's not forget that this is the second furthest I have ever, ever run and this is only the fourth time I have run this distance or further (and one of those was really soon after cancer and abdominal surgery so was rather more of a crawl!!)... so I'm totally in your hands and will go with whatever you say, coach!

3:45 sounds absolutely amazing for my first marathon and if I can even get close to tha

that then I would be absolutely delighted with myself and so thankful to you for making it possible. I think it is important to be ambitious and I personally am motivated by having something tough to aim for and to push myself... but it is equally important to be realistic. How awful would I feel if I ended up trying to do way too much too soon, got myself injured and couldn't compete in Paris? You would actually see a grown man cry.

So, with that in mind, I think you've set the bar at a great level and I'm delighted that you think I am capable of achieving such a fantastic time.

Thanks for the new pacings - wow, they look quick! I'm looking forward to giving them a go and I will let you know how they feel.

I can't wait for us all to meet up again in a couple of weeks time and I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do at the 5k time trial - I still can't believe that I ran the last 5k so quickly...! What sort of time do you think I should aim for in the time trial?

• KatyLo wrote (see)

Massive well done on the new PB! You smashed your time!

Thanks Katy! All four of us nailed it and it was such a great way to finish the day image It really has filled me with confidence heading towards Paris and I really am seeing the rewards for all the hard work.

How is your training going?

• Steve Marathon Coach wrote (see)

well done on the PB!

Thanks Steve Marathon Coach - does the 5k at the end count as well, do you think? Or do I need to do that again at the time trial? It's not often you can say you've broken your half marathon, 5k and 10k PBs all in a single race image

Look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.

• Steve loves bacon wrote (see)

that then I would be absolutely delighted with myself and so thankful to you for making it possible. I think it is important to be ambitious and I personally am motivated by having something tough to aim for and to push myself... but it is equally important to be realistic. How awful would I feel if I ended up trying to do way too much too soon, got myself injured and couldn't compete in Paris? You would actually see a grown man cry.

So, with that in mind, I think you've set the bar at a great level and I'm delighted that you think I am capable of achieving such a fantastic time.

Thanks for the new pacings - wow, they look quick! I'm looking forward to giving them a go and I will let you know how they feel.

I can't wait for us all to meet up again in a couple of weeks time and I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do at the 5k time trial - I still can't believe that I ran the last 5k so quickly...! What sort of time do you think I should aim for in the time trial?

Wow, sounding quite sensible, here, Steve - you're learning!image Yep, let's see how these paces feel - especially on the long run at the weekend. It's far enough for you to start to get a glimpse of the fatigue that sets in once you are scraping the bottom of your glycogen stores! However, a minute between half mara pace and full mara pace is quite a comfortable margin so on paper at least, it seems doable to me image Have a good training week...

• Training - Week 10

Monday - 5 MILE JOG

Actual: 6.75 MILES

Today was a nice recovery jog - it's a session I've really come to enjoy and it really is fun to just go out, take it easy and get away from it all for a while.

I decided to go out on a completely different route to usual as the normal route was getting a bit stale. This was fun and a bit different but it did mean I ran a bit further than 5 miles as I misjudged the distance a little!

The run was really quite uneventful and flew by. I did go over the pacing for one of the miles - I got completely lost in thought about something pretty cool and suddenly the watch beeped at me and I realised a whole mile had passed!! The power of positive thought, I guess...

The new easy pace felt good. In fact, after the half marathon at the weekend, the hardest thing about this whole run was keeping the pace down! I was so full of beans after the weekend that I just felt like going out for a blast... but couldn't - it actually took quite a bit of discipline to keep everything slow and controlled!

I ended up running 6.77 miles according to the Garmin and this took 1:03:02, meaning an overall pace of 9:19m/m.

The individual miles worked out as follows:

Mile 1 - 9:16

Mile 2 - 9:19

Mile 3 - 9:25

Mile 4 - 9:26

Mile 5 - 9:09

Mile 6 - 9:19

0.77 - 9:20m/m

Right, I'm actually going to try and figure out this Garmin Connect thing I've seen on everyone else's threads...! Watch this space...

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Wow, sounding quite sensible, here, Steve - you're learning!image Yep, let's see how these paces feel - especially on the long run at the weekend. It's far enough for you to start to get a glimpse of the fatigue that sets in once you are scraping the bottom of your glycogen stores! However, a minute between half mara pace and full mara pace is quite a comfortable margin so on paper at least, it seems doable to me image Have a good training week... 

Haha you don't have to sound quite so surprised that I've said something sensible!

• Ok, let's give this Garmin Connect thing a go.

Here (I hope!) is the Garmin Connect info from the Dorney Lake Half Marathon. Let me know if that worked!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭
    that worked! even the nice big sun image
  • That's okay, I will forgive you, it's not the easiest name to remember!

My time was 1:44 - not as fast as yourself but pleased with it nonetheless!

Thanks, I am always thinking about my posture when running, learnt the hard way after suffering terrible back pain after a long run!

• Well done on both of your new PBs!! That's so fantastic!! Can't believe you set a new 5k pb at the end of a half marathon - that's AMAZING!!

Think you, me and Ady will all be chasing each other around the track at the same speed at the time trial at the next bootcamp ... although I suspect this time I may be back of the pack!! image

• Congratulations Steve, that was a brilliant race!  Such a huge confidence boost, you must be stoked!

• Steve,

Fantastic result at weekend, and especially the negative splits. You must be feeling really excited about Paris after feeling so strong at the end. The report was great too!

Am trying to stalk you on Garmin Connect now too....

• Steve loves bacon wrote (see)
    RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

Last 5km a PB!

1 hr 38 mins that is AMAZING!!!!!! So pleased for you and goes to show what a good training schedule and a motivated person can do together.

Glad gels worked and also good that you know you need a race belt as this is what "dress rehearsals" are all about!

Did you manage to try carb loading day? 

Well done and loved the race report. 

Hey Ruth,

I know! I can't wait until my next 5k run now!image Thanks for the kind words - I've looked back over it and it just all seemed to go so well from preparation through to execution so I'm really chuffed. Paris, ici je viens!

The gels were completely fine so I was really pleased that you recommended giving them such a thorough test out but, yes, a belt will be a great idea for me! I didn't mind carrying them in my hands but it would be a lot more convenient.

I did indeed try carb-loading. In fact, I was looking forward to it for weeks!! It wasn't anywhere near as fun as I thought it was going to be though, it just felt like I was completely full all day and I just had to keep on and on eating!

I pretty much followed Ady's plan but with a couple of things substituted in from the example plan you also posted. I ate a LOT of pasta that day...

How much should you eat after a long run? I figured I didn't need to go crazy because I had pre-loaded the bulk of the energy I would use during the race but obviously you do need to re-fuel again afterwards! When I got home I knocked myself up a rather unusal but actually really delicious prawn and asparagus Madras. Went down a treat image

It is funny when someone tells you can eat loads it is never as appealing. Rugby players I work with to bulk up always think it will be easy to eat loads more protein/ food etc but no it is not and they are always surprised when i tell them it may not be so easy! As I have always said carb loading may not be for everyone's benefit but I think you have to try it and believe  the effort may pay off in the last 6 miles a marathon. Remember to cut down on protein, bulky fruit and veg etc to help leave room for the carbs.

Post long run a good serving of protein (around 100g of meat or fish) and 60-80g dried weight pasta/rice would be enough (as well as water) to get all the protein and carbs you need but so would some beans and toast  in in medium potato or scrambled eggs on toast  and 200ml glass of fruit juice so basically a regular lunch or small dinner would be enough for even a very long run. If out and about 500ml of a smoothie (yogurt based) or a milkshake would also be perfect but what you had above also sound good (as always !)

• Steve, Over the coming few weeks the focus will be on Paris and the food challenges that may bring. The first challenge is the restaurant choice for the Friday & Saturday night. If you were going on a leisurely holiday I would suggest different a restaurant each night and of course to try the local food BUT you are here to do a marathon! So I am looking to seek everyone’s honest opinion on restaurant type. My thoughts are Italian as Parisian meals are not typically carb heavy, more meat based. Last year I picked out some Italian places to eat and then sent links to you all so that you could at least know what was available and if this would be suitable for everyone, so the plan was to do something similar. I am also thinking of RRR who does not eat gluten or wheat (we had a similar issue last year but there was other choices at the Italian we ended up choosing) so I would suggest we look for something that may be Italian but some non- pasta options?  Those that ate in the places I suggested last year could perhaps comment (Steve, Sam etc ) on what they think too?

Parisian meals are not typically carb heavy

Snails have 0.12g carbs, and frogs legs have zero carbs. High in protein though 

And watch out for their horse burgers - I've heard they contain beef! image

• jenf wrote (see)
    that worked! even the nice big sun image
    That's good then image
    I didn't realise the Garmin Connect thing was so cool - there's loads of info there... and nowhere to hide for me now if I run a bad sessionimage
  • Aliya Razzaq wrote (see)

That's okay, I will forgive you, it's not the easiest name to remember!

My time was 1:44 - not as fast as yourself but pleased with it nonetheless!

Thanks, I am always thinking about my posture when running, learnt the hard way after suffering terrible back pain after a long run! 

Haha it wasn't your name so much as just so, so much to take in on the day! Was quite an experience and great fun image

Well done you - that's a great time! Didn't you say your PB was 1:48? Or am I imagining things?? If it was then you smashed it!

• RunnyRunRun wrote (see)

Well done on both of your new PBs!! That's so fantastic!! Can't believe you set a new 5k pb at the end of a half marathon - that's AMAZING!!

Think you, me and Ady will all be chasing each other around the track at the same speed at the time trial at the next bootcamp ... although I suspect this time I may be back of the pack!! image

Well if we're going to be really picky, it was a new 10k PB too... haha. But I'm not counting it - I have a parkrun in the new schedule Sam has given me on Week 14 so I shall be going all out for a new 5k PB then... It's currently 21:32 so anything in the 20s will be amazing!

And no, I don't think so! You guys just keep getting better and better and I can't keep up! image

• Tenjiso wrote (see)

Congratulations Steve, that was a brilliant race!  Such a huge confidence boost, you must be stoked!

Thanks Ten, it definitely was a huge confidence boost - never knew I had it in me!

How are you?? Training going well? (I've barely had time to keep this thread up to date over the last few weeks, let alone spread myself over the other threads!)

• Clive Kelty wrote (see)

Steve,

Fantastic result at weekend, and especially the negative splits. You must be feeling really excited about Paris after feeling so strong at the end. The report was great too!

Am trying to stalk you on Garmin Connect now too....

Thanks Clive, all these kind words really do mean a lot image

Yes, it was so fantastic to feel so strong at the end - I took it conservatively at the start so I feel like I would definitely be capable of taking a minute or two off that time... which is crazy when I consider the improvements I've already made!

I've only just discovered the Garmin Connect thing - wish I'd worked it out earlier as it is a great little tool and gives you loads of info on your runs... Not to mention that it's fun to be nosy and see how everyone else is getting onimage

It is funny when someone tells you can eat loads it is never as appealing. Rugby players I work with to bulk up always think it will be easy to eat loads more protein/ food etc but no it is not and they are always surprised when i tell them it may not be so easy! As I have always said carb loading may not be for everyone's benefit but I think you have to try it and believe  the effort may pay off in the last 6 miles a marathon. Remember to cut down on protein, bulky fruit and veg etc to help leave room for the carbs.

Post long run a good serving of protein (around 100g of meat or fish) and 60-80g dried weight pasta/rice would be enough (as well as water) to get all the protein and carbs you need but so would some beans and toast  in in medium potato or scrambled eggs on toast  and 200ml glass of fruit juice so basically a regular lunch or small dinner would be enough for even a very long run. If out and about 500ml of a smoothie (yogurt based) or a milkshake would also be perfect but what you had above also sound good (as always !)

Well, Ruth, you've done the one thing that I thought nobody would ever find a way to do and make me not enjoy my dinner for onceimage

I can definitely see the benefit - when you look at the sheer number of calories you burn during a half marathon or a marathon, you'd be foolish not to prepare your body by pre-loading with some extra energy!

Thanks for the post-run advice - actually sounds like the prawns and rice were quite a good bet! More luck than judgement...

See you next Saturday!

Steve, Over the coming few weeks the focus will be on Paris and the food challenges that may bring. The first challenge is the restaurant choice for the Friday & Saturday night. If you were going on a leisurely holiday I would suggest different a restaurant each night and of course to try the local food BUT you are here to do a marathon! So I am looking to seek everyone’s honest opinion on restaurant type. My thoughts are Italian as Parisian meals are not typically carb heavy, more meat based. Last year I picked out some Italian places to eat and then sent links to you all so that you could at least know what was available and if this would be suitable for everyone, so the plan was to do something similar. I am also thinking of RRR who does not eat gluten or wheat (we had a similar issue last year but there was other choices at the Italian we ended up choosing) so I would suggest we look for something that may be Italian but some non- pasta options?  Those that ate in the places I suggested last year could perhaps comment (Steve, Sam etc ) on what they think too?

Italian sounds good to me... who's paying?image