RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Forecast is for snow to return at the weekemd. Just in time for my HM. Nice. image

• Southern softy !!!!!!
  • Carl - how is the man flu now ? Will you get out for a couple of runs before your half or will you have to leave it til the race itself ?

Do you fancy living in the country rather than the city then ?
  • Spoons - All support will be greatfully received, bring a loud hailer to make yourself heard above the sound of my breathing. No chance that bikes a tandem is there?

Bt all accounts it is a very well reviewed race, it'll be my first marathon in a few years and my first that isn't a big "event" race so I am really looking forward to the challenge.

Carl - What you don't get in London is pensioners in 4x4s coming at you at 40mph as you dive into a ditch as an emergency procedure. To be fair to her by the time she had finished wondering how a flourescent yellow cow had got on the road she was past me, that 4 wheel drive is vital to nip into the village on pension day.

I use to run home from work and would beat the traffic in London, it never moved fast enough to endanger me.

Snow is good, it get's my trainers clean image

• I lived in Lndon for 15 years. I don't miss it at all. I like living by the sea. Much nicer image

• carterusm wrote (see)

I thought it would be useful to make a list of who is running which race. I've gone back a few pages to get the names of the recent contributors but I couldnt find which race everyone was running.  So, next time you post a comment add which you race you are running.

Pete - Manchester

Rachel - Manchester

Carl - Paris

Will - 

Ricky -  Belfast or Limerick

Hannah - London

Oirish -

Spoons - ??

Dobster - London

Big_G - 

Carter my race is either Belfast on 6th May or Limerick on 5th May.

I have ordered some 4:1 and isogels to experiment on long runs... If they don;t all fit in the bumbag on raceday i'll probably carry the extra couple and take them first. I always carry 500ml of water in my hand on the long runs so will just replace this with 500mls of 4:1.... might have to place someone strategically at the 18ish mile mark of the race though with a refill for me!

• 3 mile slow recovery run in the treadmill this evening.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Carter - I was on the phone home to my mum last night and doing my best to conceal that the fact that I had contracted the dreaded manflu but like all good mum's she worked it out and gave me all sorts of advice which I have dutifully ignored.

I have been able to talk today so I must be better or at least better enough to get back out.

I naturally have not fully recovered from the manflu as it is not something one recovers from that quickly.

I am planning on running tomorrow evening as I declare myself fit and well to don the running attire and get back out in the dark and cold.  image

• So there is Spoons who has lived just about everywhere.

Oirish, who may or may not be Irish and lives down south (Dorset ?)

Ricky, who is entering either Belfast or Limerick, so I'm assuming is Irish, or at least lives in Ireland.

Carl who is from the emerald isles but lives in London.

I've from Nottingham but live in sheffield.

So, from what I can work out, not many of us on this thread appear to live in the place they were born ?
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    oirisheyes wrote (see)

Carl - What you don't get in London is pensioners in 4x4s coming at you at 40mph as you dive into a ditch as an emergency procedure. To be fair to her by the time she had finished wondering how a flourescent yellow cow had got on the road she was past me, that 4 wheel drive is vital to nip into the village on pension day.

Oirish - but you do get gaggles of people who wander aimlessly in front of you even when they see you coming. Could be tourists but most likley students who have nothing better to do than take up the whole footpath.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Ricky W wrote (see)
    carterusm wrote (see)

Pete - Manchester

Rachel - Manchester

Carl - Paris and Dublin

Will - 

Ricky -  Belfast or Limerick

Hannah - London

Oirish -

Spoons - ??

Dobster - London

Big_G - 

• carterusm wrote (see)
    Ricky, who is entering either Belfast or Limerick, so I'm assuming is Irish, or at least lives in Ireland.

Correct Sherlock - although I live in that small bit of Ireland at the top that can't agree about flags image and only live about 12 miles from where I was born... so that's that bit of your theory blown out of the water!
    My sister has lived in Stoke-On-Trent for the last 17 years... so I do feel quite close to Robbie Williams - having the same initials and all that image

• Hi all, I hope the training is all going well! My training plan is confusing me. I am on week 7 of the RW ultimate sub 3.45 schedule. Tomorrow its telling me to do 6 of 1m jog and strides, 10 x 400mins with 200m recoveries (1min 30) then 1m jog. Think some of it is a typo. Anyone know what it all means and what r jogs and strides? R they done at the same time??

Very confused!
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Dobster - double dutch to me.

But it could be 6 reps of 1 min big strides slowly (funny looking strides jogging pace). 10 reps of 400metres (1min 30s) followed by 200metre recovery. 1 mile jog to finish.

Any one think I am close ?
  • Dobster - Um, er............ what Carl said(?) they can be mind blowingly confusing sometimes can't they?

Okay here is some clarification. Deep breath

My parents are Northern Irish and very much consider and feel myself Irish, I was born in Germany have a British birth certificate as well as a British Consulate birth certificate and an Irish Passport. image I moved to Colchester, Essex aged two, not alone my parents came with me and left for the bright lights of London at 18, days after my birthday and moved back here about a year ago when old ma Oirish had a stroke.

My initials are G.G. the only popstar I can think of sharing those initials is Gary Glitter - I don't feel as warm to him as Ricky does Robbie. image

• Dobster wrote (see)
    Hi all, I hope the training is all going well! My training plan is confusing me. I am on week 7 of the RW ultimate sub 3.45 schedule. Tomorrow its telling me to do 6 of 1m jog and strides, 10 x 400mins with 200m recoveries (1min 30) then 1m jog. Think some of it is a typo. Anyone know what it all means and what r jogs and strides? R they done at the same time??

Very confused!

I suspect they mean:

6 miles in total consisting of:

1 mile warm up jog with some strides.

Followed by:

10 x 400 metre efforts with 200 metres slow jog between as a recovery

Then a 1 mile cool down jog.

• Hi all - just to clarify my geographical nomad status. I was born in Liverpool, raised in Yorkshire, went to uni down south, then lived in London after uni. Then spent several years living overseas, before heading back to UK. After another stint up north and a few years just outside of London, I moved down to the New Forest last year.

Pretty lucky living by the coast too. Managed a run along the sea wall overlooking the Isle of Wight today, and didn't feel too bad. Wanted to do 6-7 miles and run it like a progressive run, but got a bit carried away in mile 3.

So it looked like this -  9.23, 9.13, 8.33, 8.53, 8.45, 8.39,  cool down 9.11

woohoo - and the foot wasn't too bad either!!

• Dobster - I am a bit scared of those plans (because I dont understand them) so tend to use something simple (Hal Higdon) and tweak it to suit... But Spoons interpretation of it sounds spot on!

Hannah - great relief for you regarding your foot then - sounds like a cracking run route today !

I wonder how Carl's comeback is going this evening?

Tempo Tuesday for me - 6 mls - 46:37 (7.46 pace avg):

8.23 (wu); 7.44; 7.38; 7.55; 7.37; 7.17

Legs felt a little tired still from suns 20miler so was quite controlled for most of the run - let loose a bit on last mile and felt surprisingly strong. What was pleasing about this run was my avg HR which was well down @ 155bpm. Usually in the 160 - 162 region for this route at this pace.

Managed to get out in the sunshine too - shorts, tshirt and no hat or gloves. .. fine on the run but as soon as I stopped I got cold very quickly!
  • Wow! I hadn't looked in here for a while and there were PAGES to catch up on!!

Carl, I hadn't realised you'd been ill, are you over it now?

Carter- you are certainly getting some serious miles in!

Keep up the good work one and all!!! image

• Oirish - Gary Glitter eh !!

Hannah/Ricky - good running from both of you with some excellent pace too.

Rachel - thanks, I'm ticking along quite nicely at the moment. Hope youre feeling well.

Carl - I hope you've managed to get out tonight.

As agreed with Spoons, I'm cutting out the speedy stuff this week to focus on getting plenty of long, steady miles in. I still went to the track tonight to do a few miles at marathon pace.

Mile 1 - w/u @ 9:29

Mile 2 - 8:46

Mile 3 - 8:45

Mile 4 - 8:46

Mile 5 - 8:45

Mile 6 - 8:46

C/D of 0.7 @ 9:45.

The marathon paced miles were all run without my watch beeping to tell me I was going to fast or slow, so please with that. It was really cold up here tonight and the old legs felt it. Off for a soak in the bath shortly followed by some rollering. Tomorrow morning will be 10 easy miles into the office.

• Impressively even pacing there Carter!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Comeback done. I am seriously wrecked. Details to follow. Took my new watch on its debut tonight and realised that I set it up all wrong so need to sit down at the computer to work out the stats.
  • Nice running Carter, Ricky, Hannah

hope you're OK Carl?

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

I am alive so thats good. image

Whoever coined the phrase about getting back in the saddle straight away after you have fallen off needs their head examined. Picking a tempo run as my comeback run was the equivalent of this and it was much tougher than I was anticipating.

First of all my manflu has been below the neck so I put on an extra layer tonight, and also wore a neck cowl (Carter I know I am a southern softie).

I had programmed my garmin thinking that this was the nbest way to keep me going if my head decided that it was getting a little tough. But I got some of the settings wrong so the bloody thing kept beeping at me and the screens kept scrolling. Extremely disconcerting when you are trying to concentrate.

So I do not have my mile splits as the watch only recorded my lap splits which were wu, tempo run and cd.

Warm up of 1.75 miles at 8:44 min/mile. Maybe a little too fast but it was nice to be out.

I had set myself 6 miles for the tempo run (which roughly equated to 2 laps of Regents Park) and decided that as I had not been running that I should take these a little slower than I have been doing. Sounds sensible.

It was quite cold so I knew that breathing would become an issue.

So I set off at 7:30 mm pace hoping that I could sustain this. From looking at my watch every so often I was running at that pace for most of the first 3 miles. Then I got a stitch. I rarelt get stitches and decided that i would try and run through it. Mile 4 was really tough but it settled a little but I had dropped my pace and was more like 7:40 miling. The sixth mile was tough as my breathing was all over the place and the tank was empty.

But I did complete the 6 miles at average pace of 7:44 min/mile. Overall not bad but an inconsistent pace.

I then did 2 more miles cd at 8:58 min/mle.

Overall 9.75 miles at 8:10 min/mile.

I have been pretty shattered since then which is again not normal after these types of runs but I guess this was a tougher than normal re-entry point.

Hopefully by the morning it will all have settled down. Am hoping that the residue of the manflu doesn't have an adverse reaction.

Considering that I have not run for a week that run tonight is probably a decent effort but there is no doubt that this week out has taken a serious dent out of my fitness levels and that my pace is going to suffer for a little while.

So tonight I am not feeling that confident about a decent time in the HM on Sunday.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Runningrachel wrote (see)

Carl, I hadn't realised you'd been ill, are you over it now?

Rachel -  a serious dose of manflu both above and below the neck. So my run tonight was the first in a week. I am probably not 100% over it but with a HM on Sunday I had to give it a go tonight and hopefully will have no adverse effect in the morning.

Good to see you back out and running.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Hannah, Ricky, Carter - great running today.

Dobster - did you run that confusing training run today. I think Spoons intrepretation was correct. As he is a veteran of marathon running I would always go with his opinion first and ignore the rest of us.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Assuming my body does not fall apart overnight and that the manflu is no worse tomorrow than it was today I am planning 8 miles with 3 @ MP. I am going to try and get out before dark as I am getting tired of all these dark nights.

• Carl - it won't be because you have lost fitness. It's because you're ill!!

• Hi all,

Well it seems from what I have read that it has been a good start to the week all around with some great runs.

Yesterday I did my hill run again that I did last week and chipped four minutes off of my overall time which considering it included a first and last mile around the 10 minute mark this time represents some digging deep on the hill sections. 7.5 miles of fairly pleasing work as I am getting the pacing right for the warm up and down now.

My calves were quite tight this morning so I jumped on the bike and knocked out 5 miles at a leisurely pace to get warmed up and then did a speed session.

Here are the splits 

Mile 1  8:16

Mile 2  8:00

Mile 3  7:40

Mile 4  8:02

Mile 5  7:42

Mile 6  7:46 = 48:36

and another 2 on the bike as a cool down. I was in pretty good shape at mile 6 and it is along a trail which I really enjoy bounding along so just kept my pace up. I turn into a child at the sight of mud and puddles. I have a pilates session later so I figure that and a roller should see off any aches or stiiffness.