The Road to Paris - On a Plateau - Asics Target 26.2 Training

Comments

• Minni wrote (see)
    Ady - sorry I find it hard to keep up with your thread! But, can I ask - how many gels did you take during the HM? I think you said 2 every 35 mins? Did you take two together, twice during the race? Did you take any at the start?

I'm interested because I changed my gel stratergy during my last marathon. It was 5 laps and a friend who was marshalling handed my gels out sink took the first one at 7 miles then 12, 17, 22. Normally I don't take the first one till 13/14 mikes then every 3/4 after that but I think I benefited from taking the first one earlier.

I like the straw tip - I also hate plastic cups. I'm doing a HM in a couple of weeks and I know they will have them. Might experiment....

Hey Minnie. No need to apologise about finding it hard to keep up with the thread. I find it just as hard keeping this up to date, let alone looking through many of the other threads on the forum.

Sorry, i might have confused regarding the gels............I took two gels throughout the race, taking one every 35 minutes. This is my plan come race day as well. I was always the same as you in that I would wait until at least 10 miles in, if not longer to take my first gel. Taking them ealier has definitely had an impact on how I fair later on in the race. I've never taken them as early as 35 minutes before, but after no side effects on Saturday, I'm more than happy to continue this strategy. I think this will make it 5 to be taken on race day in Paris.

I didn't take any at the start. I've never taken gels before a race before. On Saturday it was just a few mouthfuls of a jam sandwich as recommended by Ruth. I think with the carb-loading the day before, this was ample.

Which half are you running? Will it be an all out race for you, or will you be practising a pacing strategy?

• Sounds like every one is picking up a few aches and pains! I'm full of regret today! I should have stopped when I felt my calf go after 5 miles yesterday! Iv now got a very red/purple calf and struggling to walk! Looks like I will be out of action for at least a couple of weeks. Think once I do get back out I will just be taking it very easy! Hope the extra rest is doing your knee some good.

Here's the link for my half if your interested.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/274318953
  • Hi Ady

Big well done for Saturday - I managed to get Steve to spill the beans on all your times cos I couldn't wait to find out (was out and about)! As I'm sure you know, ths puts you in a great position for a 3.30 finish.

The knee is a slight concern - so you're doing the right thing to take it easy - I wouldn't compress the knee but ice is good, and try to avoid sitting with leg at right angle which will irritate it the most. (ie. at desk, on sofa, at dinner table - what we do most of the timeimage

It's as well to take the time needed now to get it sorted rather than push through training if it doesn't feel right - but am posting revised pacing and adjustments to this week's training paces.

REVISED PACE GUIDELINES
    Jog (Recovery) = 9.00 to 9.40 mins per mile
    Comfortable (Easy) = 7.50-8.50
    Steady = 7.20-7.45
    Fast (Tempo) = 6.55-7.10 (Or for intervals 6.50-7.00)
    Speedwork: pace depending on distance

Week 10 w/c 18th February
    Monday REST/CT or 4 MILE JOG (CAN SWAP MON/WED, AS YOU FEEL)
    Tuesday 2 MILES EASY then 3 x acceleration strides then 6 x 800M (or 3 mins) at 6.10-6.40 pace with 3 min jogs in between each. 1 MILE EASY (8 MILES)
    Wednesday REST/CT or 4 MILE JOG
    Thursday 6 MILE BUILD-UP focused around MP (From 8.10-7.20)
    Friday: 4 MILES STEADY
    Saturday REST
    Sunday LONG RUN 20 MILES COMFORTABLE – ideally at least half on soft, varied terrain.
    MILEAGE 42

• Hi Ady,

Just a quick one as I think we all said well done to each other about a hundred times each on the day! But... well done! image

Also, again, big congrats on the healthy eating - I wasn't joking, you seriously had lost a noticeable amount of weight from the last time I saw you and that really wasn't that long ago!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJO5HU_7_1w

Also, can you please say another huge, huge thank you to Mrs Shady for keeping an eye on my little monster whilst we ran - it really did mean a huge amount to me to be able to bring him along.

Great to see you again, and looking forward to training day 2!

• Hi Ady

Just wan to say well done on your recent PB's your looking in great shape for Paris. I have managed to read through the whole thread, (over about 3 weeks I must add) and its really got me motivated for my first marathon training to start in May for my first Mara in October. 

Keep up the good work

• Week 9 Weight Loss Watch!

Starting Weight: 162.8lbs (Target Weight: 148lbs)

Weight After Week 1: 162.2lbs (-0.6lbs) (Xmas Parties!)

Weight After Week 2: 161.9lbs (-0.3lbs) (Xmas!)

Weight After Week 3: 160.7lbs (-1.2lbs) (New Year!)

Weight After Week 4: 159.2lbs (-1.5lbs)

Weight After Week 5: 158.0lbs (-1.2lbs)

Weight After Week 6: 156.2lbs (-1.8lbs)

Weight After Week 7: 155.8lbs (-0.4lbs)

Weight After Week 8: 155.0lbs (-0.8lbs)

Weight After Week 9: 154.4lbs (-0.6lbs)

Total Loss: 8.4lbs

I'm more than happy with this week's weight loss. I weighed myself midweek and I was down to 153.4lbs, but knew it would be near impossible to keep to this with the carb-loading coming up and only the half marathon to run at the weekend.

All being well, with such a high mileage week, I should manage to get back on track with my weight loss goals. Especially if I manage to stay away from the last of the Valentine's chocolate. I shouldn't be eating it anyway as I'm the one that bought it for my wife!

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Sunday 17th February 2013

After yesterday's splurges, it was back to the straight and narrow today.

9:30am - Breakfast - Fruit and Fibre Cereal w/ Semi-Skimmed milk, cup of tea.

11:00am - Pint of squash

12:00pm - Lunch - Carrot and Coriander soup, chicken breast and cucumber sandwich on wholemeal bread, pint of squash.

2:00pm - Cup of tea, yoghurt

3:30pm - Pint of squash

4:30pm - Cross training - 1hr on exercise bike (see earlier for full description)

6:00pm - Glass of water.

7:00pm - Jacket potato, bean, a small amount of cheese and butter.

8:30pm - A couple of cheese crackers minus the cheese, cup of tea.

10:15pm - Glass of water

• Ady - Nice PB. Looking good for a sub-3:30. Keep up the good work!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Minni wrote (see)

Hi Malcs!  I know its really hard finding time to stalk everyone.  I'm on holiday this week so will hopefully find time for some reading back. My training is going well (I think).  I haven't done any races really since the Brass Monkey was cancelled but have a HM in a couple of weeks so we'll see then.   How's it going with you?  Jelly babies - I binged on them once before an evening 10k and had to stop en-route to, erm, download data image so never touch them now! lol.  I do think it was the quantity I ate more than anything!

Going very well so far thanks. Only on week 5 after losing the first two weeks of the year to the lurgie. I'm doing alot more miles that previously - I've incorporated an MLR to try and get my endurance up as I think yourself and various others suggested (I've had so much great advice since coming on the forums that I can't remember who told me what). 

LOL - "download data" image. Oh dear, doesn't sound good. I will be careful not to overdose! 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Malcs - if its working then it was me that told you! image

Shady - sorry I misread.  I thought taking two at a time was pretty hardcore!

• Malcs wrote (see)

Really pleased for you - great PB, well done! Like the pics too - do you ever stop smiling?image

I managed 21:09 on the Parkrun. I had planned just to take it easy but as soon as it started I just couldn't help myself image. The only other 5K time trial I've done was the one we did at bootcamp so I didn't really have a PB to aim for...which was nice. Anyway, yes I was very pleased indeed given where I am with my training.

I hope you can get that knee sorted. Sounds like you're ok when running but have more issues afterwards. I have picked up a little hamstring issue this week (which is why I was thinking of taking the parkrun easy). It didn't affect me at all during the run but after was a little sore and quite tight. Of course being the fool I am I decided to still do the 18 miler that I had planned for today. Luckily it was fine but like you I'm on the RICE. Will rest now for a day or two I think. 

Malcs......I have to admit that the smiling photos have taken years to perfect. Not only do I need to know exactly where Mrs. Shady is located with the camera, but I have to force enough energy to replace the grimace with a smile. Years of strenuous training I tell you. If you want to see what I look like the rest of the time when I'm running when I don't know where the camera is, you should look at the photos below copyright of SportCam Limited. TYhis is how I look for 99.9% of the time I'm running. Mrs. Shady Ady even commented I look like a turtle in one of them. It's interesting to look at the guy behind me as I grimace to the finish line as well. It looks like he's whistling as he saunter's to the line!

Great work on the Parkrun. That's better than my 5km PB and you didn't even run it as hard as you could. I expect you to be running circles around me at Spitfire! Minni, are you running Spitfire as well?

Intersting that you're considering jelly babies for energy during the race. I can;t get enough of them beforehand, but I find it dififcult to run and chew at the same time. Whenever I've tried, I've either dribbled or blew snot bubbles! Not the prettiest of looks that's for sure!

My plan for this week is almost identical to next week. Two 20 milers in a row. This should put me in an excellent position if I come through them unscathed. How's the knee? Mine is much better today and I should be ok for my training session tomorrow.

Anyway, enough of my babbling, here are the photos of what I really look like when I'm running.......you might wonder how I ever got a woman to fall in love with me in the first place!

All images are copyright of SportCam Ltd

/members/images/403074/Gallery/Fullscreen_capture_18022013_204905_0.jpg

Eyes closed wishing I was somewhere else!

/members/images/403074/Gallery/Fullscreen_capture_18022013_204922.jpg

At the finish

/members/images/403074/Gallery/Fullscreen_capture_18022013_204933.jpg

How calm and relaxed does the guy behind me look! It looks like he's whistling his way to the finish as well. If only I could look more cool and sophisticated!

/members/images/403074/Gallery/Fullscreen_capture_18022013_205002.jpg

My personal favourite......pure gormlessness!

• Barry B wrote (see)
    Ady - congrats , well done on the pb must be a massive confidence
    boost.

Thanks Barry. I don't think I could ask for more of a confidence boost to be honest. I think if I'd just scraped inside 1hr 40mins, then I would still be on my physical limits of going sub 3:30. Now I'm nearer to to 1hr 30mins, it meansfor the first time I'm starting to truly believe that a 3:30 is in me and I'm even starting to think if I can go any quicker. Just enough so I can enjoy the last few miles of Paris and take it all in image

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Hi Ady image When I met Malcs at the weekend he told me I just had to come on your thread n see the 'before' and 'now' pics. I have to say I'm impressed! you are looking good! and I am SO pleased that you are doing so well with the training. You are putting in the hard work and deserve every success image Will pop back in now n again just to check up on you ! 

• DS2 wrote (see)
    Day - absolutely brilliant performance! Great report as well. Delighted for you. Things are looking great for Paris.

Thanks very much. Things are looking slightly more optimisitic now and even I'm starting to fully believe that it's possible. I still need to make some more improvements though and need to get my 20 milers under my belt before I get even more optimistic. Another 8lbs of weight loss would be nice too!image

• Brolish wrote (see)

Ady- many congrats on a pb, sounds like you nailed it!

Thanks Brolish. It just goes to show that listening to Sam, Ruth and Sarah has provided so many positives. If I take only one thing away from this experience, it's to not be as stubborn anymore and think I know best. This will be music to Mrs. shady Ady's ears!

Slow Duck wrote (see)

Ady - Nice PB. Looking good for a sub-3:30. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Slow Duck. I feel I'm still only halfway i the training. I just need to convert my HM time into strong 20 mile runs in the next few weeks. I hope your training for Boston and Comrades is going well and you haven't suffered any injuries at all.

Steve Marathon Coach wrote (see)

well done on your PB!

Thanks Steve........I'm delighted with last weekends result. I fully expect Sarah to set the new gauntlet down though come Silverstone.........especially as she held back for the first few miles and finished so strongly. I always have full respect for any runner that managers to get photos taken with both their feet off the ground at once.....and I swear for Sarah this is almost every time! Seeing a photo of me with both feet off the ground at once is very much like seeing a shotting start - happends but once or twice a lifetime!

Looking forward to catching up at training day in a couple of weeks!

• RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

Lost post!! So sorry if it re-appears and this is a repeat!

What a great results, I can say nothing other than your hard work has paid!  This is a great HM PB.  

Carb loading was great. Although I would say easy on the fatty sauces (cheese on pasta!) and protein as these will fill you up more. You need very little fish/meat/lentils or other low carb protein sources (if any!) the night before or even day before!. This is just extra calories and load on your stomach.

Regarding  comments on bowel movements: if you have problems with bowels (which you do not) I would  reduce fibre two days before (low fruit and veg, no fruit and fibre! white bread pasta etc ) and keep fluid high. But this has not been an issue so try and not to start focusing on this becoming an issue.

I feel the best way for club runners and even those aiming for a sub 3 is to start race with good stores of carbs in body hence the increase in carbs. Still suggest for you that you do a 2 day high carb intake before Paris. If not comfortable with this please let me know as I know you are happy to do 1 day but 2?

Thanks Ruth. I think carb-loading was a bit of a shock to the system as I didn't realise how much extra the amount of food was. I think next time around though I'll be much better with it and I should manage to eat everything on my menu. I'll try and stay clear of the protein sources as well and just focus on the carbs!

I'm more than happy to give the 2 day carb-load a try instead of the one day......but only if I can strike a deal with you image I will happily do the two day carb-load plan, if  you turn a blind eye if I'm successful at going under 3:30 and allow me to fully enjoy the buffet breakfast the day after the marathon image Do we have a deal? image

• Paulo83 wrote (see)
    Sounds like every one is picking up a few aches and pains! I'm full of regret today! I should have stopped when I felt my calf go after 5 miles yesterday! Iv now got a very red/purple calf and struggling to walk! Looks like I will be out of action for at least a couple of weeks. Think once I do get back out I will just be taking it very easy! Hope the extra rest is doing your knee some good.

Here's the link for my half if your interested.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/274318953

Hey Paulo........That's terrible news and I'm so sorry to hear that. I really hope it's nothing too serious and you aren't out for as long as you were expecting. Can you still cross-train or is it too painful to do that? The biggest problem I've found is to give my injuries enough rest, so I definitely think it's best to go a couple of days longer that what is required than too little and cause the injury to re-surface.

I tried looking at your Garmin Connect but it said I don't have enough privelidges to look at it?

I hope your resting well and following the RICE philosophy!

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Hi Ady

Big well done for Saturday - I managed to get Steve to spill the beans on all your times cos I couldn't wait to find out (was out and about)! As I'm sure you know, ths puts you in a great position for a 3.30 finish.

The knee is a slight concern - so you're doing the right thing to take it easy - I wouldn't compress the knee but ice is good, and try to avoid sitting with leg at right angle which will irritate it the most. (ie. at desk, on sofa, at dinner table - what we do most of the timeimage

It's as well to take the time needed now to get it sorted rather than push through training if it doesn't feel right - but am posting revised pacing and adjustments to this week's training paces.

REVISED PACE GUIDELINES
    Jog (Recovery) = 9.00 to 9.40 mins per mile
    Comfortable (Easy) = 7.50-8.50
    Steady = 7.20-7.45
    Fast (Tempo) = 6.55-7.10 (Or for intervals 6.50-7.00)
    Speedwork: pace depending on distance

Week 10 w/c 18th February
    Monday REST/CT or 4 MILE JOG (CAN SWAP MON/WED, AS YOU FEEL)
    Tuesday 2 MILES EASY then 3 x acceleration strides then 6 x 800M (or 3 mins) at 6.10-6.40 pace with 3 min jogs in between each. 1 MILE EASY (8 MILES)
    Wednesday REST/CT or 4 MILE JOG
    Thursday 6 MILE BUILD-UP focused around MP (From 8.10-7.20)
    Friday: 4 MILES STEADY
    Saturday REST
    Sunday LONG RUN 20 MILES COMFORTABLE – ideally at least half on soft, varied terrain.
    MILEAGE 42

Hey Sam! Yay, yay, yay! I'm finally in a position where I'm on the 3:30 radar well and proper. I don't intend leaving it now either.

I have tried to avoid sitting with my leg at right angles, but it's been a struggle with sitting at my desk for most of the day. I did try stretching it out when I could though. 

It's been much better today so I think I'll see how it is running on it tomorrow. It only really hurts after a long fast run, so the HM was like a perfect storm. Even on my LSR it's not really caused that much of a problem. That's why I'm thinking it's my trainers that aren't providing enough stability when I'm on my feet for longer periods and exerting myself more than normal.

I'm looking forward to the intervals tomorrow and I'm happy with the revised pacing as well! image

• Steve loves bacon wrote (see)

Hi Ady,

Just a quick one as I think we all said well done to each other about a hundred times each on the day! But... well done! image

Also, again, big congrats on the healthy eating - I wasn't joking, you seriously had lost a noticeable amount of weight from the last time I saw you and that really wasn't that long ago!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJO5HU_7_1w

Also, can you please say another huge, huge thank you to Mrs Shady for keeping an eye on my little monster whilst we ran - it really did mean a huge amount to me to be able to bring him along.

Great to see you again, and looking forward to training day 2!

You little flirt, you'll make me blush........I'm not use to so many compliments regarding my weight. A big congratulations coming straight back at you. I've just seen your latest pacing targets and we are almost identical now. It's nice to see your revised time being closer to 3:45 now as well. I still can't believe you got a new 5km PB at the end of a half marathon. I expect youmto better this now and do the same at the end of Paris!

I'll pass on the thanks to Mrs. Shady Ady. She said your son was a delight, well mannered and polite and a credit to you. Hopefully she hasn't gone all broody now though! image

Bring on training day 2!

• Ksizzlepod wrote (see)

Hi Ady

Just wan to say well done on your recent PB's your looking in great shape for Paris. I have managed to read through the whole thread, (over about 3 weeks I must add) and its really got me motivated for my first marathon training to start in May for my first Mara in October. 

Keep up the good work

Hey Ksizzlepod..........what can I say. I take my hat off to you for somehow managing to read through the whole forum. I think that must have taken more dedication than my marathon training so far! image

Really good luck on your first marathon in October. Which marathon are you doing? If it's anything like my first, you'll become addicted and find yourself struggling to pinpoint why you have such a thirst for running 26.2 miles. I can never really answer that question when someone asks. "why do you run?" It just makes me happy and content I suppose!

I'm really happy this thread has helped motivate you. That's exactly what I intended to do so you've made my job complete. For me it hasn't just been about the training, but also about the diet, something I've never managed to do before. I thought it would be highly embarassing to put photos of myself on here in my lycra, but at the same time I wanted to show the benefits a good training plan and diet can have if followed religiously. If you focus on something 100%, then there's no reason you can't achieve what you set out to do.

All the best for your first marathon. I hope you have some nice Summer evenings to enjoy running in.

• jenf wrote (see)

Hi Ady image When I met Malcs at the weekend he told me I just had to come on your thread n see the 'before' and 'now' pics. I have to say I'm impressed! you are looking good! and I am SO pleased that you are doing so well with the training. You are putting in the hard work and deserve every success image Will pop back in now n again just to check up on you ! 

Hey Jen! Thanks for the post amd kind words. Lovely to see you on this forum page. Malcs did mention that he had the pleasure of your company at the Llanelli Parkrun at the weekend.

Now something fishy is going on here.....it was only a couple of days ago that Malcs was saying that the look of me in lycra made him want to vomit. Now I find out he's complimenting my lycra shots to other runners. There's some double standards going on there! image

Seriously though, it's been an absolute joy so far. It might have left my wife more of a widow than usual, especially with the writing side as well, but I think even she is happy to see the benefits the training and diet has done so far. None of my jeans fit properly any more and I'm fitting in to shirts and suits I haven't done for 5 years! 

I think you get out what you put into something and I think every single Asics Target 26.2 runner has proved that so far. It's excellent to see everyone making leaps and bounds.

I'll let you know when the next lycra shot is due! image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I think you'll find I was complimenting your improvement - which is massive by the way so really well done! Just so we're clear, I'm still as repulsed as ever by the sight of any man in the tight stuff image.

I think they should have another Asics shopping day at the end of the process so that you can get some clothes that fit you! image

• http://connect.garmin.com/activity/274318953

Iv changed the privacy settings now so that should give you enough privileges now! I hope you feel privileged! I'm not able to cross train at the moment but hopefully be able to get on the bike at the weekend! Definitely won't be doing my 20 mile run though! There's been plenty of RICE going on at home, but these 12 hour night shifts standing on your feet make that a bit harder.

Having seen your event photos it reminded me to check mine out. I always thought I probably looked quite cool and comfortable.....I was very wrong! I like to think that the look of pain was just caused by my calf though and is not my normal look!

Keep up the good work, your well on track for Paris image
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Minni wrote (see)

Malcs - if its working then it was me that told you! image

Ha image  Yes, I seem to recall you mentioning it - many thanks!image 

• Hi Ady

Well its all for research as I am writing my own training plan, brave I know, but i wanted it to build up a bit more slowly than some of the 16 week plans, so I have designed it for 20 weeks!

I am doing the bournemouth marathon, I have just seen the route they have released and it is mainly along the sea front which I am really looking forward to. 

I have done 4 half marathons so far, all with very little proper training, so this time for the big one I have made a great commitment to a proper training plan with lots of mixed sessions. I already LOVE running, again not sure what it is, clearing my head and getting fresh air and the way it makes me feel after I have completed a long run and more than anything I love running in the rain, crazy haha. 

Your diet seems to be going great and the weight loss you have managed so far is great, keep it up and you should meet your target by Paris im sure!

• Hi Ady!

Wanted to nip on and say well done on your fab PB!! It was such a good day and nice to have a catch up with everyone and meet Mrs Ady and Jack! Loving the race photos by the way! image

• Hi Ady, How's the knee doing? Physio Sarah reckons you might have a bit of inflammation behind the knee cap and recommends seeing a physio if you can this week, rather than waiting till training day. And regular icing. 

Any sign of twinge or pain/hotness behind knee during run, please stop straight away. I'm sure it'll be OK but just not taking any chances....

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Monday 18th February 2013

Due to work commitments and meetings, I struggled with getting all my snacks in today.

6:50am - Breakfast - Fruit and Fibre Cereal w/ Semi-Skimmed milk.

9:00am - Cup of tea

10:30am - Bottle of water

12:20pm - Lunch - Roast beef baguette with horseradish sauce. Bottle of Pepsi Max

2:00pm - Cup of tea, bottle of water

4:30pm - Low fat strawberry yoghurt

5:30pm - Cup of tea

7:45pm - Dinner - 3 small Tacos with mince beef, lettuce, tomatoes, a sprinkling of cheese, guacamole, sour cream and salsa. Pint of squash

8:30pm - Cup of strawberry tea, yoghurt and 1 Lindt Lindor chocolate

10:15pm - Glass of water