Asics training starts now...!!

Comments

• Hi Cat.....Pesky children....they do get in the way!!!!.....image......I forgot about the extra little hole on running shoes....I think i need to pick Steve's brains at the weekend to show me how to lace my shoes!!....image

Oh and Steve, for the record...I never said I was 'happy' with my bum size.....just that the BUPA lady didn't officially confirm it was too big!!!.....( have you ever known a woman to be happy with the size of her bottom????.....image..)

Really looking forward to catching up with you on Saturday....Sarah and I are staying in the local travel lodge, so if you get there too early and need somewhere warm to crash  for a bit then just shout........!....Really looking forward to meeting Jack......Hooooorahhhhhh for Mrs Ady being the official babysitter....!!!!!

DS2...Hey there.....I missed your post further back!!!....sorry!!!.....thank you for your kind words of encouragemt.....yes your right Martin would have been very proud.....! I could hear him the whole way round with his verbal stick of abuse!!.....'come on Williams'.....'stop being a sissy'.....'just take the one in the blue shirt....now the guy in the black'.....'of course you can', 'what do you mean your tired....if you can talk then you can run faster'......Thank goodness for the peace now when I run, at least I can switch him off if I want to.....image!!!!

• melaniejayne wrote (see)

Imloving the fact Iv been given permission by Ruth to eat more over the next two nights......thank goodness as Iv just bought a big Tiger loaf!!!!....Ummmm.....Good job you said about sticking to the high 5 and Gu as i have just bought boxes of both!!!...image

Thank you Sarah....!!! I think with Sam's new race paces Ill need the good luck!!...!...I am a little worried about sustaining a faster pace for 2 hours, but I believe in Sam.... so if she thinks I can do it....then I can!!!!.....image

Hi Sam.....Really enjoyed tonight's session!!!.....I ran past all the running club doing lamp post speed intervals, but I think I was having far more fun!!!!......image

Tiger loaf - perfect for some extra carbs!

Have a really fun weekend!

• Hi melaniejayne ,enjoying reading your posts,but how many valentine cards did you get?
  • Good luck at your race this weekend Mel!!

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Hi image (thought I'd replace your name with a Smiley),

Good luck this weekend. Have fun.

Hi Ruth,

Firstly sorry for interfering, I realised after my last message that we should stay focused and mentioning Pxxxx was an unnecessary distraction.

image and I have a similar problem of disappearing behind trees. I have reduced sweating by wearing the right clothing thus reducing the amount I drink. However I also use Gu gels containing caffeine which of course is a diuretic. I think I have solved one problem to remplace it with another. Shame, I really like the chocolate gel.

I would be grateful for any suggestions to get the fluid intake right. Perhaps the benefits of caffeine based gels outweigh any inconvenience it causes.
  • Hi pc..... Ha loving the fact you got told off by Ruth..... She looks really scary in her photo...... But she's really not!!!!.....

It never even entered my mind about the clothing and caffeine!!!! You really are a mind of useful and somewhat confusing information!!!!....if I catch myself behind a tree with a strange man in Paris ..... I'm guessing it might be you then!!!!....

Bonding running time planned for tonight....... Sarah and I decided to stay in a travel lodge close to dorney lakes to avoid a long drive tomorrow morning...... Only we forgot to confirm with eachother which travel lodge..... So she is in maidenhead and I'm in slough!!!!!!......

So now instead of a nice dinner out...... I'm cooched up in bed with a takeaway nando's!!!!..... Amazing!!!!!...image......
  • Thank you Alex......!!!!! ....... X

Steven..... Iv had many questions on this thread..... But wasn't expecting that one!!!!......I could tell you I struggled to open the front door I was so inundated with cards, chocolates and flowers..... Or I could say its a load of commercial bollocks!!!!....image
  • PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    I am a real amateur. Used to run in any old t shirt and a rugby top, sweating exaggerated my problem as I was drinking too much to compensate. Read about the importance of layering with proper running tops. I've also stocked up on Gu gels and didn't make the connection with the caffeine. Perhaps with or without them I'll have to make extra pit stops, I'll probably have to make one before I finish this message.

Didn't like carrying bottles so hid them on the route with some biscuits, sometimes I couldnt find my stash. I have run in Bois de Boulogne so don't be surprised if you find a powerade bottle. The squirrels have probably eaten the biscuits.

Got a Garmin 410 and fat fingers. Battery died during a run, so switched off GPS between runs to save battery. Pressed start twice on interval run, watch didn't beep after 1200m, it was on pause. Another time no beep, thought I had paused it, set off once more, still no beep. Hadn't turned on the GPS.

My HM is next weekend, tried out the course last Wednesday. Got lost. Found the correct route, bumped into a guy with a spray can giving me strange looks. Further on i realised he was marking the route, arrows pointing in opposite direction. Luckily 2 lap course, ran 2nd lap in right direction. Overtook the guy around the 17k mark and got lost again.

My best advice would be not to take advice from me.

The Asics team must be glad they haven't got anyone like me to train although I was in the shop at Christmas and claimed I was the 6th member.

Looking forward to reading your next update.
  • /members/images/700233/Gallery/IMG_1877low.jpg

Yippeeeee......I love running in the sun!!!!!!!!

/members/images/700233/Gallery/IMG_1879low.jpg

Especially with meg ( my daughter!!) trying to catch sheep of course!!!!.....

• PC...That made me laugh a lot!!!....Ok I will take your advice ....for not taking your advice!!!!......Did you come and say hello in the shop at christmas or just skulk around in the back ground????....HM target for next week....???image

Dorney lakes was pretty good!!!...PB of 1.55......my target was 155- 1.59.....my last HM was 2.06....so yehhhh...this training thing really does work!!!!......Really good to catch up with everyone!!!....Over took Steve loves bacon at the begining......just because it would be rude not to !!!!!........but question for Steve....if you love bacon....why was I tucking into a bacon bap at the end.... and you a sausage????.....

/members/images/700233/Gallery/IMG_1864low.jpg

The very lovely Mrs Shady.....and the very cool Jack!!!!!.....image......Not sure about the other dodgy looking geezers!!!!!......image

• Mel - congratulations, over 10 minutes off your PB - great result.  All those hours of training are paying off!

• Mel!!

That is amazingimage  well done!

How did fluid & peeing go???

PC91 wrote (see)
    Hi image (thought I'd replace your name with a Smiley),

Good luck this weekend. Have fun.

Hi Ruth,

Firstly sorry for interfering, I realised after my last message that we should stay focused and mentioning Pxxxx was an unnecessary distraction.

image and I have a similar problem of disappearing behind trees. I have reduced sweating by wearing the right clothing thus reducing the amount I drink. However I also use Gu gels containing caffeine which of course is a diuretic. I think I have solved one problem to remplace it with another. Shame, I really like the chocolate gel.

I would be grateful for any suggestions to get the fluid intake right. Perhaps the benefits of caffeine based gels outweigh any inconvenience it causes.

Caffeine during exercise believe it or not is not usually found to be a diuretic (but too much when not exercising and yes it will be). It is likely that during exercise hormones alter kidney function and hence bladder movement. However coffee before a race, if this is something you always do, should also be part of your race morning routine  (unless you cut the caffeine a week or so before) because if you suddenly take caffeine away some people can start to get a headache during the race or before and this could be simple due to caffeine withdrawal especially if a strong caffeine drink and also it can help empty ones bowels prior to race starting!

Getting nervous before a race can cause more toilet visits and also a dry mouth which often leads you to drink lots, as you think they are thirsty but if you feel you are well hydrated and peeing lots of clear or pale yellow urine you will be drinking enough and just wetting you mouth may be all that is needed. Write down what you drink before races at the moment, how many times you pee and is this a "hydrated" looking pee i.e not dark yellow but a pale straw colour then back off fluid and only drink small sips. Are you drinking too much during an actual race? if you start hydrated you should as a rule need to be drinking at every drink station unless the surrounding temp is high.
    I am going to start mentioning Paris a lot more now!!

• i can not see my posts at moment (I must have pressed something but I can see from "my forum"  that you all are actually seeing them/they are being posted)so in case the last one did not all post, as too many words here it is again!!!

Caffeine during exercise believe it or not is not usually found to be a diuretic (but too much when not exericing and yes it will be). It is likely that during exercise hormones alter kidney function and hence bladder movement. However coffee before a race, if this is something you always do, should also be part of your race morning rountine  (unless you cut the caffeine a week or so before) because if you suddenly take caffeine away some people can start to get a headache during the race or before and this could be simple due to caffeine withdrawal especially if a strong caffeine drink and also it can help empty ones bowels prior to race starting!

Getting nervous before a race can cause more toilet visits and also a dry mouth which often leads you to drink lots, as you think they are thirsty but if you feel you are well hydrated and peeing lots of clear or pale yellow urine you will be drinking enough and just wetting you mouth may be all that is needed. Write down what you drink before races at the moment, how many times you pee and is this a "hydrated" looking pee i.e not dark yellow but a pale straw colour then back off fluid and only drink small sips. Are you drinking too much during an actual race? if you start hydrated you should as a rule need to be drinking at every drink station unless the surrounding temp is high.

• Congrats Mel that is an amazing new PB. Your discipline in training has really helped you smash your HM time.

• Mel, Just sticking my head round the door so to speak.  Have been away with work, so a bit busy, but now catching up.  Glad the training is going so well and paying (huge) PB dividends.

I've now had 4 physio sessions and appear to be making headway - went out for my first 'serious' run yesterday - like you, making the most of the sunshine.  So relieved to be seeing some progress!

• So pleased with your result, Mel, and your progress. Hope that realising that you CAN do it has boosted confidence. But don't worry, I'm not going to make you run the marathon at 8.50 pace (not this year, anyway image) But I do think that this brings the target time down a bit. Closer to 4.15? We'll have a chat about it at the next training day. Keep up the fab work! 

• melaniejayne wrote (see)

Oh and Steve, for the record...I never said I was 'happy' with my bum size.....just that the BUPA lady didn't officially confirm it was too big!!!.....( have you ever known a woman to be happy with the size of her bottom????.....image..)

Really looking forward to catching up with you on Saturday....Sarah and I are staying in the local travel lodge, so if you get there too early and need somewhere warm to crash  for a bit then just shout........!....Really looking forward to meeting Jack......Hooooorahhhhhh for Mrs Ady being the official babysitter....!!!!!

Haha you women are never happy, are you?image I would say you have lovely-sized bum but you can just imagine the gossip!
    Jack said it was lovely meeting you all. He said he really enjoyed the whole day (which I was so pleased about as I was worried he might get bored!) and he said you guys were all really nice and he wants to see you all again!

melaniejayne wrote (see)

Over took Steve loves bacon at the begining......just because it would be rude not to !!!!!........but question for Steve....if you love bacon....why was I tucking into a bacon bap at the end.... and you a sausage????.....

/members/images/700233/Gallery/IMG_1864low.jpg

The very lovely Mrs Shady.....and the very cool Jack!!!!!.....image......Not sure about the other dodgy looking geezers!!!!!......image

You did go flying past me at the start! I was thinking the same thing... I just grabbed the nearest roll - I didn't realise there were bacon ones as well! I did put a load of mustard on mine. Question for Ruth: does mustard count as one of my five a day?

Love the photo - can't believe how tall my son is!!

Well done once again on such a fantastic time and see you at training day in  a couple of weeks!

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Well done image on your PB.

I was sulking in London, didn't want to go. Walked out of Marble Arch tube station with a big smile across my face when I saw the ASICS shop. The staff were great, even though I was a difficult customer (hard to believe). Couldn't decide between 2 pairs so got them both. image.

I wanted to use Steve's time as a reference for my HM but he's now out of my league. Target 1h45, I have nothing to lose but it's a bit adventurous.

We've still got some miles to do but the sun is joining us for our training runs.

Stay happy and healthy.

Ruth - Thanks a lot. Great help.
  • Afternoon Mel!

Fab to see you on Saturday ... eventually! After we were both waiting in different hotels!! Well done on your PB!! Woo woo!! (Does happy dance for Mel!!)

Loving the sheep chasing and happy sunshine running pics!! See you in a couple of weeks! image

• What lovely comments from every one again!!!!.....image

Cat.....I know over 10 minutes!!!....how did that happen???.....amazing!! Sam must really know her stuff!!!..image....I was tired though and happy to see the finish!!!.....image

Hey Ruth....whoever would have thought 6 months ago I would be discussing my wee habits in public!!!....image.As you suggested, I had a cup of tea at 7.30 when I woke up, and 300mls of water to sip before the race at 10.15. Wee about 945.....and bing bang bosh.....no wee needed through the race!!!!.....

However, I was thirsty though.....but because they used cups I struggled to drink from them without inhaling water up my nose!!!....eventually had to stop and have a drink but then got a stitch as I gulped it down as I thought I was going to die of dehydration......image.! thank goodness they have bottles in paris!.....

I also took gels as you suggested. I took a gel with caffeine x2 before the start as I didn't have a coffee which I normally do......then I had high 5 at about 45 minutes and 1 hour 15 a gu x2 caffeine....then a high 5 at 1 hour 40 ish......

Im going to try jelly babies on my long run on Sunday as well as gels.....just to try and break up the monotony...!.....image

• Sarah 6..... Your right...the discipline of the training is so paying off.....it didn't seem like it at the beginning when Sam was making me do speed sessions in the rain and the dark....imagebut hey!!!!......Long may it continue....imageI have become a running bore and can see people either glazing over when I talk, or leave the room quickly when they see me coming!!!!!image....I even make myself chuckle at how I have changed!!!!

Hi Impish......I was hoping you were ok as you had gone quiet!!!...we missed you!!!!!image.....pleased things are looking up on the running front!!!!....yehhhhhhimage

• Hello Sam!!!!....thank you so much!!!!....I cant believe how much I have progressed in such a short time!!!!....thank you, thank you, thank you.....you have given me such an amazing gift!...image!!!!!......I have given up comparing myself to the other speedy pants.....but did gleen a little bit of pleasure over taking Steve at the very begining!!!!....knew it would be the only time EVER I would run in front of him!!!!

4.15...really...???.....I can see a bit of gentle Sam Murphy bullying is going to happen at the next bootcamp!!!!image......Looking forward to catching up with you, even if you are going to try and thrash me!!!.....!image

• Hi Melanie, I've been following your forum and wanted to say a massive congratulations! On ur progress so far. U previously had similar PBs to me, though u seem to be smashing them all!

I had a very tough year last year, losing my dad to illness so can totally relate to you in some things. Though he wasn't a runner, he was a big lover of the outdoors, and that's what I love about running so much! It's also become therapy to some extent.

Anyways, I know you'll hit your original goal of completing your first marathon, and I hope that you go on to do many more! And stay on these forums with your infectious enthusiasm image
  • Steve Marathon Coach....thank you!!!!...it was also nice to run past you at the chichester 10k....you were probably wondering who I was grinning away at you when you were trying to do a gentle warm up!!!!

Hey Steve!!!......Would it be rude to say Jacks not tall....your just short!!!!...image.....Not really!!!.....Can Jack come to boot camp.....hes really cool!!!!....image.....Was lovely to catch up with you all.....looking forward to the next time!!!!!......x

PC.....oh dear, your not portraying a good picture of yourself.....sulking and awkward.....!!!!image......however you redeemed yourself by buying 2 pairs of trainers.....a women's dream!!!!.....no shoe restriction....image.....

which Half are you doing this weekend???......no pressure....but you have publically posted a target of 1.45!!!!image.....we will be waiting with baited breath.......

Sarah...lovely to eventually catch up with you too!!!!!....next time we confirm which travel lodge.....!!! you did so well with your time....wow...!!!! you must be chuffed to bits!!!!.......image....I can only dream of such speeds!!!!!......image

• PC91 thanks for you comment " stay happy and healthy" - feels easier now that spring is coming!

Mel: sharing concerns over peeing is good! Loads of runners (especially women) like to know it is not just them! Do you feel happy/confident with you plan for race day?

• Mel

Over the coming few weeks the focus will be on Paris and the food challenges that may bring. The first challenge is the restaurant choice for the Friday & Saturday night. If you were going on a leisurely holiday I would suggest different a restaurant each night and of course to try the local food BUT you are here to do a marathon! So I am looking to seek everyone’s honest opinion on restaurant type. My thoughts are Italian as Parisian meals are not typically carb heavy, more meat based. Last year I picked out some Italian places to eat and then sent links to  all so that you could at least know/plan for what was available and if this would be suitable for everyone, so the plan was to do something similar. I am also thinking of RRR who does not eat gluten or wheat (we had a similar issue last year but there was other choices at the Italian we ended up choosing) so I would suggest we look for something that may be Italian but some non- pasta options?  Those that ate in the places I suggested last year could perhaps comment ( Steve, Sam etc ) on what they think too?

• Hi Ruth, yep I think Italian is ideal. We are staying in the Montmartre area this time - not same place as before - so we may need to stake out (not steak out!) some new venues. That pun was in honour of Tenjiso, just in case he drops in image

Hi Mel, how are you? Smiling still I hope! And lookng forward to tomorrow's long run. Enjoy image I will be holding one of my Running Well workshops tomorrow - we're all going to freezeimage ! Lots of hot drinks will be required....

• Hi Mel - no posts for a few days.  I hope that is not ominous, and it just means that your busy lifestyle has taken over.  Any good runs? 

I have been struck down with a cold for most of the week and missed Wednesday's and Friday's runs, but got a chance to go out today (hubbie volunteered to do the kids drop-offs to parties and music lessons, so that it was my turn to collect them in the afternoon, and he would not miss the rugby!).  I thought I was better, so plotted an 18 mile circuit.  The first 13 or 14 were fine, then I hit a hill and really felt it, so my pace dropped badly.  Still, overall not too bad; 18 miles at an average pace of 8:50.  I would have been happier if the later miles were 't slowing down - I'm going to put that down to the effects of my cold. 

I'm doing the Spitfire 20 miles next Sunday.  Will make a real effort to slow down the early miles and keep steady or pick up the pace towards the end. 

Looking forward to hearing what you have been up to....  Cat

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

That pun was in honour of Tenjiso, just in case he drops in image

Hah! Now I know why my ears were burning!

Well done with the new PB, Mel.  Are you now targeting 4:15 for the marathon?