RW Forum Six – Sub 3.30

Comments

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sarah - sorry, bit late to the back patting party here, but well done in getting such a fast time in what sounds like a very busy race, that is quite something!

I can sympathise with your worries about maintaining pace for 26 miles. However, you are doing amazingly well with your long runs so far and you have plenty still to go so there's loads to be confident about. 

Speed clearly is bang on so no worries there. Keep going as you are and you will smash it at VLM. 

• I would just like to say a huge thankyou to everyone that has supported me and encouraged me so far on here...its certainly making a difference!

Sorry that I wasnt able to post much whilst I was away. We were out most of the day sight seeing and didnt really have 30 minutes to myself when I could post much up so I had to keep it short and sweet.

On Friday we landed in Barcelona, went to our hotel and then unpacked. Despite walking qite alot on the friday we didnt see many sights but did manage to find our way around the part of Barcelona that our hotel was situated in. We also walked up to the bus station and back to get our numbers, before settling down for food and drink. I decided to carbo load with frajitas.

Saturday we met at 10 and caught the tram up diagonal closer to Familia Grada. We walked up to Familiar grada and spent the next 1.5-2 hours in there. This was followed by a walk to the metro which took us down to the port. From here we walked to the cable car, which then took us to the olympic stadium. From here we walked down back towards main barcelona past the old bull fighting arena and then caught the metro and tram back to near our hotel. We had a meal at a local italian before retiring to bed.

• Sunday was the day of the race. We decided to get taxis to the start...no one took to my suggestion of having a w/u run to the start.

It took us a while to find where to drop our bags and by the time we had worked it out we didnt have much time left to drop them off and get to the start. It was roughly a 10 minute jog away from the start, so this became my w/u run. I managed just to get inside the pen as the race began.

I was in the back third of the 1st people to start. There were 14,000 people in the run and at times it felt like more. It was really busy and I kept getting people cutting me up and elbowing me. There was also the usual slower paced runners and 1-2 walkers in front (I really dont know why people lie about their target times).

The first part of the run was slighly up hill but after about 5.5-6k it was either down hill or flat.

There wasnt many twist and turns and the road surface was flat and easy to run on.

I had decided what paces I was going to run and how I was going to progress my run right from the start. I was slightly worried in the first few miles as my legs felt a little tired from being on them for 7 hours on the saturday, but luckily this had wore off my the 3rd mile.

• ....My legs felt great after this as did my breathing. With this in mind I decided to increase the paces I had decided on per 5km blocks by 5 sec/ml.

I really enjoyed the run, felt extremly comfortable and managed a sprint finish. I pasted many people in the last 3km which was also very encouraging and enjoyable..

I had took some jelly babies with me just incase...I decided to have one at 10 miles but then didnt bother with any more.

At the finish I wasnt sure where we were all meeting as due to the dash to the start we hadnt planned anything. My parents and chris were spectating near the hotel at the bottom of diagonal so I decided to head back (especially as my legs felt like they were going to quickly seize up if I didnt get moving).

I managed a nice 2.2 mile c/d to the hotel.

The rest of the day was spent eating and site seeing (with about another 6 miles of walking). We went to parc guell, and then walked down to the ramblers (past the two gaudi houses/casa) for our evening meals before heading back to the hotel

• So my plans for this week (week 8)

Monday; resistence training + recovery run (as I didnt make it back in time to go to netball training).

Tuesday; Rest day (as im attending a meeting at the hospital after work until 21:00-21:30)

Wednesday & thursday ; run + resistence training....although im not sure of the distance and paces as yet....Minni what would you recommend?

Friday; rest

Saturday; Belvor challenge. This is an off road race of 15 miles. I have talked this over with MInni and we think it would be best to see how I feel on the day as to how to run it. I will probably aim for something inbetween a race pace and a training run pace, but I will see how much my legs have recovered from yesterday first and the weather conditions (and hence the amount of mud present)

Sunday; recovery run

• Training Diary for Forum 6 sub 3:30 (VLM)
    Week 8 (day 50) Aim; Resistance training and a 3 mile recovery run

I did quite alot of stretching inbetween my sets today as my hamstrings have been feeling a little tight after yesterday and then sitting on a plane.

I did a 3.2 mile recovery run

1 m @ 10min/ml

2 m @ 9:31 min/ml

3 m @ 9:31 min/ml

0.2 m @ 10 min/ml

My legs felt so much more better afterwards and my hamstrings feel fine again....just hope their the same in the morning! image

• Malcs wrote (see)

Sarah - sorry, bit late to the back patting party here, but well done in getting such a fast time in what sounds like a very busy race, that is quite something!

I can sympathise with your worries about maintaining pace for 26 miles. However, you are doing amazingly well with your long runs so far and you have plenty still to go so there's loads to be confident about. 

Speed clearly is bang on so no worries there. Keep going as you are and you will smash it at VLM. 

Thankyou Malcs for your kind words, I really appreciate all the support and encouragement. Hope your running has been going ok? When do you want the money for TR24?

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

You're more than welcome Sarah. I'm just starting week 6 of training and so far it's going very well thanks.

I really must get organised with the TR24 stuff - thanks for the reminder image

• Sarah- sounds like you had a great time in Barcelona, it's definitely one of my favourite cities.Congrats on the race again!

I think you're right to be realistic about your target and aiming to have a strong and enjoyable marathon. I personally think that McMillan's predictions are great up until a half marathon distance. His marathon predictions seem a bit optimistic and most runners struggle to get the suggested conversion from a half mara to a mara distance. Which of course doesn't mean that it's impossible...

As for the last 6 miles in a marathon... lol. I'm not sure if you're supposed to enjoy it!!! I think if you do your absolute best on the day it is going to hurt, that's the nature of the race. Some are better at being conservative and running well within themselves than others. I wouldn't personally be satisfied with the race if I didn't feel that I gave it my absolute all.image 

I think sub 3:25 is a great target.

• AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Hi Sarah,

I'm doing the Bath Half on Sunday week. My PB is 1:38:28 which I did about a year ago and I would hope to get close to that (I think it's a flat course so should be quite quick) but I'm wary of over exerting myself. Mind you I suspect that this cautious approach might go out of the window on the day.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Sarah - yes 3:25 seems like a good target. As for the HM I don't think you should look to race another before VLM but if you did have one coming up it could be used to get some MP miles, plus 5 beforehand and 2 after to make it into a 20. I imagine I'll be running to Northumberland one as that if I race the week before.
  • Malcs wrote (see)

You're more than welcome Sarah. I'm just starting week 6 of training and so far it's going very well thanks.

I really must get organised with the TR24 stuff - thanks for the reminder image

Your more than welcome....I hate owing money to people !

• Brolish wrote (see

As for the last 6 miles in a marathon... lol. I'm not sure if you're supposed to enjoy it!!! I think if you do your absolute best on the day it is going to hurt, that's the nature of the race. Some are better at being conservative and running well within themselves than others. I wouldn't personally be satisfied with the race if I didn't feel that I gave it my absolute all.image 

I think sub 3:25 is a great target.

Boo...I was hoping that it was just a one off with those last 6 miles....think I was being a little optimistic! My one and only marathon I did in 3:47 so i feel that aiming to knock 22 minutes off will be a great achievement, and if im successful I will aim bigger and better in October. image

• Hi Andy good luck on sunday...it lovely in bath so im sure that you will have a fabulous run....fingers crossed for a PB. Least if your not completley cautious you have a while to recover before the marathon image.

Hi Minni, I feel terrible, I went to input my details into jantastic today and it had already closed for last week. I thought today was the last day to submit everything. Now I feel awful and as though ive let the team down. Whats even more annoying is the fact that I did two miles more than my predicted long run and I managed my 3 runs, im so sorry image

With regards to Northumberland I will speak to Chris and see what our plans are for that weekend. If he wants to head up to newcastle for Mothers day I will enter the race and let you know. Although im a bit worried about finding a 5 mile route before the race and not getting lost!

What do you suggest that I do tomorrow and thursday with regards to my runs....thats if your still talking to me and not too angry for me for messing up jantastic...I still feel awful! image

Week 8 (day 50 (( I got yesterdays day wrong)) ) Aim; rest day

With the exception of walking to and from my room (to call in patients) and to a nursing home at lunch time (to do my patients visits) I have had a very lazy day. My legs feel like they have almost recovered from sunday and I predict that they will be completley fine by tomorrow.

I wonder if I had packed my compression tights they would have recovered sooner?? image

Now to head to the hospital for this meeting

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

haha Sarah no worries. 

I think you should test the legs with a slow 5 tomorrow and see how they are.  Then do a slow 9 or 10 on Thursday if they feel ok but don't be afraid to cut it short if you feel any niggles since you've got a hard 16 coming up at the weekend.

I sometimes get achy hamstrings and glutes.  It never developes into an injury.  I find rolling really helps.  Do you roll?

I'll likely be doing a long warm up before the Northumberland half but it all depends on the week before.

I never really find the last 6 miles any harder than the first 20, a bit maybe but not drastically so.  In fact I normally really enjoy marathon running but last year I found it harder because I was really going for it.  It made me realise how easy I'd taken them before. image   I love getting to 22 and feeling the draw to the finish and sometimes wish it would just go on a bit longer so I could continue enjoying it. Weird I know. imageimage

• Evening everybody, you sound well recovered Sarah what a great weekend. After Sundays disaster I got home and geared up for a long run but my heart wasn't in it. I was so annoyed I was all over the place, so I did 13.1 and came home.

I rested yesterday and just did five miles at a faster pace, very comfortable and enjoyable. Lots of stars, when I finished I got my phone out and identified a few, geeky.

So tomorrow is midweek long run day, I hope it's not windy I really would like to get a consistent run in.

At 22 it starts to hurt for me, the good thing about a big city race is you can look around you for inspiration...there's no way you're to give less than 100% when you see all the other guys and girls working so hard. Above all else, that's what gets me out onto the road, knowing how much harder it will be if I skimp the training.
  • Thankyou Minni for being understanding. Im so annoyed at myself for it.

A slow 5 sounds good for tommorrow and if im feeling ok I will slowly increase the pace and change it to a progressive run if thats ok.

I might struggle to get a slow 9-10 in on thursday depending on what time I finish work at, but I could always give the resistance training a miss that night to give me a bit more time. Someone is coming to view the house on friday so I have house work to do aswell before I retire to bed (im hoping chris will do a half to make it easier) .

I need to buy a foam roller...I was going to order it before I went to Barcelona but I ran out of time. Are they easy to use?

Your so lucky, your probably one of those people who would enjoy and excel in ultra running. I certainly wasnt praying for more miles last year. Lets hope your mind set and your enjoyment of the last 6 miles wears of on me.
  • Evening Mr P, thankyou, I did had a great weekend and the PB was the cherry on the cake. On a positive spin, you can use last week as a recovery week before stepping it all back up which it sounds like you did with your faster 5 miles today.

I love astronomy, I wanted to be an astronaut when I was in secondary school but everyone laughed at me when I announced it in class which put me off a little....and I didnt fancy doing Maths A level....does that make me into a bigger geek?

How far are you planning on doing for your midweek long run? I hope you have a good one.

In VLM last year I wanted to walk at about 24 miles but I didnt want any spectators to see me walking or the cameras to catch me so I kept plodding on, so I completely get what you mean
  • Minni wrote (see)

I never really find the last 6 miles any harder than the first 20, a bit maybe but not drastically so.  In fact I normally really enjoy marathon running but last year I found it harder because I was really going for it.  It made me realise how easy I'd taken them before. image   I love getting to 22 and feeling the draw to the finish and sometimes wish it would just go on a bit longer so I could continue enjoying it. Weird I know. imageimage

Jeeeeeeeze Minni- are you serious??? I think I need to speak to the boss, sounds like you're not working hard enough!!! Lol.image In his words 'maximum hurt and minimum slow down' is how the last 6 miles should be run.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Brol - what's said on the forum stays on the forum... image

Sarah - foam rollers are really easy to use - painful but easy. There's all sorts out there but in my opinion you just need a cheap one.  A rolling pin would do the same job, or the inner tube of wrapping paper as I discovered at Christmas.

I love astronomy too.  Its amazing what you see in the sky at night if you stop to look. 

• Minni - it's probably that extra bottle of wine that causes you to see stars !! image

• AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

Hi Sarah,

The HM is actually on Sunday week, it's another 20 miles for me this Sunday. I did 9 today - I was aiming for MP or slightly faster and did them at 7:48/min so I was happy with that. I had the day off of work so it was nice to be able to relax afterwards - fitting in the midweek runs around work can be awkward. 

• Sarah, well done on the pb- fantastic run!

Looks like the training is going well on track, and I think 3:25 is very realistic. Your 1/2 time is now more than 2 minutes better than mine, and I did 3:23 in Berlin so if it all works out...

Are you in Sheffield this weekend? Have entered the Wrap up and Run 10k at Graves, but likely to run under flase name as likely to be so slow image

• Whos the big boss Brolish?

I thought that the rollers had to be quite firm Minni, I didnt know that you could use softer things such as wrapping paper or an inner tube. Do the official foam rollers come with instructions on how to use them?

Just wondering...when in training do you decide to stop with the alcohol or dont you?

Sounds like you had a fabulous run today Andy, always nice when you achieve what you set out to do (and more). I love my Fridays off for that reason...its a "me day" so I can do as I please. Are you off all week?

Thankyou Clive....thats really encouraging, a part of me just wants to do it now to see how I go..but I know it wouldnt be a good result if I did.....the suspense is killing me!

Im in sheffield this weekend but running Belvoir challenge on saturday. Ive been informed today that I need to leave my parents house at just gone 6 to get there on time...I have a feeling its going to be a long day.

I might try and come down to Graves park to watch and then do a recovery run, will see how I feel after the race on saturday and the weather. What time does it start at? It would have been good if I could have done it, it sounds like a lovely run. Good luck, I hope your not as slow as you fear.

Week 8 (day 51) Aim; Resistance training and a 5 mile steady run or progressive run.

Actual;

I had a horrendous afternoon and even after doing my resistance training and stretches I was still quite het up and stressed out so I decided to do a progressive run instead of a steady 5 miler. My legs felt ok and I really needed to distress.

I ran on the TM on the hills setting, level 2 (so the incline varied between 0-2.2%).

My mile reps

1 started at 12 min/ml and increased it gradually to finish at 8:34 min/l

2 @ 8:20 min/ml

3 @ 8:06 min/ml

4 @ 7:53 min/ml

5 @ 7:41 min/ml

5.5 @ 7:53 - 8:34 min/ml

5.8 @ 12 min/ml - 15 min/ml

My legs felt great for the first 5 miles, so much so I was going to run for 6-7 miles but shortly after 5 miles my legs seemed to tense and stiffen up so I decided to reduce the pace and cool down instead.

I did some extra stretching afterwards and hope that this was enough. My legs feel fine again now so I do hope so.

Im not reaching for the wine so the run did do its job in that respect...I just hope my legs are still ok in the morning and that I didnt do too much too soon today.
  • New paces suggested by the RW calculator (based on my recent HM time);

Easy run training pace is; 8:24

Tempo run training pace is: 6:59

VO2-max training pace is: 6:18

Long run training pace is: 8:24-9:30
  • I have already reached for the wine! Mrs P was Late home so I went for my run, 8 miles tonight at 8.30s, then put a couple of curries in the oven before she got in.

I suppose when Doctors have a bad day it is a really bad day, hope you're feeling better Sarah.

I have a foam roller, the family bought it for me for Christmas. It is quite thick, 6 inches or so and two feet long. I have used a thinner one in the past but this is perfect. I just roll my calves out on it from time to time and they always respond. Well worth getting one, but like Minni says you can improvise, I have used the ubiquitous wine bottle and a cold can of beer is good, but I find the thick roller really easy to use and you can work different parts of your legs really easily.
  • Afternoon Mr P.

That was very nice of you to start tea ready for when Mrs P arrives home. By the time I had gone to bed I was quite detressed, but im on call today and can already feel it all building back up again. I have three extras already this afternoon and this is before my clinic has started. Im just hoping I dont have any late visits as thats when it gets complicated!

A cold wine bottle instead of a foam roller sounds quite nice, with the added benefit of the chill.....and a sneaky drink at the same time image

With the foam rollers - do you roll the foam roller over your limb whilst keeping the limb still or do you keep the roller still whilst moving the limb (or is either okey)?

im aiming for 9-10 miles @ 8:30 min miles tonight I think. Legs have felt fine so far today (touch wood)