Tuesday 19th February 2013

Morning

Todays lyrics;Though I've tried before to tell her

Yesterdays lyrics : Eton Rifles by The Jam

What:4M steadily done.

Why: Habit and it is a cold and frosty one again.

Miss B is 13 todayimage

Need t catch up

Back later

Comments

• Morning.

Happy Birthday Miss B - a teenager!

Nice LSR there Blisters. At the moment, with being marathon focused my week usually looks something like - I LSR; I long bike; I turbo; 2 swims and as many other runs as I can fit in - usually two or three.

What:               swim/turbo or bike
    Why:                still trying to be a triathlete
    Last hard:        last year
    Last rest:         15/2

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all,
    Great LSRs there Blisters, Wabo, LmH, nice shorter stuff too, postie, donaldo and no doubt countless others I have omitted to comment on...
    Birks - good luck with the teenager!
    lyric - seem familiar
    Yesterdays as I said had an article in the Sunday Times:
    Eton Rifles
    wonder what Weller would say...

What - club night, think its Paarlaufs
    I will be taking it easier though: I am going to Sunderland for the Nationals, youngest also doing U13s.
    Why - Training Plan says so
    Last Rest - Friday
    Last Hard - Finding a marathon to enter. There, I've said it.

Have a great day

• Happy birthday to Miss B!image

what: 4M with intervals, after 15' WU, tried to do 5' faster with 3' slower.

why: intervals are supposedly good for a lot of things

last hard: this.

last rest: yesterday

That was not a pretty sight. But I know after a few weeks persevering it will get better. And the orthotics will this time prevent me from getting niggles, which threaten to turn into injury and caution me to back off.

I have now formally accepted the position I was offered, and I got all star-struck when one of the welcome e-mails contained in cc one of the great historians outside my field, whose work I really admire. Oooh to walk on the same campus as that man! image 

• Morning

Tine: exciting times

Blisters: When Im marathon orientated its  2-3 swims, 4 runs, 3 bike. Runs consiste of long, tempo, speed, MLR. Swim distance, intervals, Bike Long, Hill session, turbo

Ale: I'm riding the Deloitte Ride Across Britain, 9 days, 980 miles. All I have do is ride, others feed me, put up and take down tent, carry bag, sound perfect. Plus 700 others to ride with.

What: 55 miles on the bike, swim in a moment
    Why: Triathlete I am
    Last Hard: Last nights club run
    Last Rest: 27.01

Lyrics: Nope 

• Morning gang. That bike ride sounds pretty fun, Blisters, you don't do things by halves.

Speaking of halves, this is my final plan pre Cambridge Half, if anyone has any tweaks or suggestions then please make them known.

Today: 10-12m tempo with club

Tomorrow: 12m steady

Thurs: 6-7m (2m steady, 3m w/intervals, 2m steady)

Sat: parkrun

Sunday: 14-16m LSR

(repeat, then finish with a 12-14m with club on the Tuesday before, then taper down to Sunday)

Lyrics: yes

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

What: 3 miles this morning, in the dark and snow (in shorts!)
    Why: didn't have to leave for work till 7 so thought I'd do something useful image

7D so jealous of you doing cambridge half, all my cambridge friends are doing it too image
    DD LMH wow that's a lot of training sessions to fit into one week, how do you find the time?
    Tine it's always exciting to walk the campuses of those you admire
    Happy birthday Miss B.

Have a good one all. 

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

morning all

happy 13th to miss b, bless!

dd, nice one!

what: I think it has to be the easy 3 today

why: I am really having to juggle it all around this week!

last hard: sunday

last easy: yesterday

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • emzap - when I get serious on the tri front there is an extra swim and turbo session to find time for too! I have managed it whilst working full time but am fortunate to only work part time now which makes it much easier - though still requires at least two doubles a week.

When do you move Tinebeest? Is Mr T moving with you this time or do you still have your place in Cornwall?

The pool this morning was warmer than my bath - made swimming hard work. After a very foggy start it's turned into a lovely day so I may be lazy and take the bike out rather than doing a turbo session - can afford to do that at this stage of the season fortunately.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning all,

Some very impressive long runs there.  Wabo, Blisters.  DD, impressive riding. If you are knocking off 55m before before a swim and brekkie, I would reckon you will have a lot of free time on your ride across britain!

Cambridge Half, hmmm, I think I'm free that day to come and support.  Who else here is doing it?

Bright and cold and beautiful.  But the snow canyons still rule the ways, I am still a little short on confidence, and I have discovered an even bigger and better staircase, with some natural light, 14 flights of 14 steps, five reps, just under a thousand steps.  Definitely easier than two days ago, but I did also treat it with a bit more respect.  Should get at least one more stair climb in before going home on Friday, and hopefully one more run outside.

Need to get a passport photo taken today.  That will be amusing.  For the next ten years the image will be reminding me, faintly but definitely, of a close encounter with concrete.  It may be that in ten years time i will be glad to remember that I was daft enough, dreamer enough, to try and do these things.

Go well all.

• Afternoon, or whatever time of day wherever you happen to be!

7D: plan seems fine, especially the last few days (!). What does the Thursday include? Also, and I know that transport may interfere here, have you thought of making the parkrun part of another longer run?

Stickless:  definitely a passport photo to remember! On your step climbing do you get the lift back down? I recall one session many years ago where ice prevented running outside, so we did a hard set of intervals in a multi-storey car park...and got the lift down!

What: 4.5k hilly, muddy but sunny walk. 48 mins.
    Why: first post-op training of any significance. Found it quite hard going on the uphill but that reflects just how unfit I am rather than anything to do with the op.

Lyrics: no

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Afternoon

What 10.58 commute am with 7.64 (with hills) pm.
    Why It's a Gobitastic kind of a day
    Lyrics familiar (though I thought yesterdays were the Macc Lads)

7D your 10-12 tempo seems a bit long, how much is w/u tempo pace and c/d?

Finished work early and am picking up late from school so a double had to be done. MLR tomorrow hopefuly then sensible living may resume once again.

• Alehouse, no, so there is a significant rest when I walk back down.  Not worried about that for now. While I have such handy stairs, my goal for the time I am here is to get to be able to do many reps easily - the stairs equivalent of the long slow run. I do need to work on being able to maintain a moderate intensity without burning out.  If I get the stairs work well started here, I can work on lengthening moderate intensity work through intervals - which fit well into the running to work larkimage.  Something to look forward to when I get back.

and congrats on your 4.5! -glow well.image

• Yes, 7D, I agree with Postie re the tempo. If it is a typical club night burn up I would describe it as "progressive"! Also, Radcliffe 10 mile on Sunday might be worth a look!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Frosty start this morning - now the ha' is coming in (hope my plane gets out)

What: short kayak with youngest (heading to Aberdeen shortly for day on sports Medicine)
    Why: she's only home for this week
    Last Hard: Saturday
    Last rest: yesterday
    lyrics: what me!

AH progress image

• nice long runs banked yesterday LMH and Blisters

Tinebeest:
    how exciting, so it's all very real now image

Good commute there, postie. I wonder what Gobi is up to these days

Happy birthday, Miss B image

what: 9 miles with strides amidst strong winds, snow, sleet and rain (yes, all in one go - gotta love German winters)
    why: I was asking myself that many times over.
    last hard: braving the elements
    last rest: 11/2
    lyrics: think so

• Chick: Gobi...largely cycling but I know he has done some parkruns, particularly Newbury. I noticed he ran 18:05 last week so can't be in too bad a shape.
    http://gobi70.wordpress.com/

• Chick I saw him a few weeks ago. He's cycling in the same style he used to run. Rach organises the Newbury park run so is found there most Saturday mornings. He is currently working in London and has or is trying to commute on his bike once a week, his normal crazy self.

• Beasted a hill session tonight - 10 x 30s hills on grass - quite steep and very tough going.  Was fair knackered by the end of it!  4 miles inc warm up and warm down.

• Birkmyre - happy birthday to your 13 yr old.

Dubai Dave - great to be able to do the ride and only have to worry about the cycling!

Stickless - good work - your passport will look a bit different thenimage

Chickadee - you know what they say - what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

Alehouse - good to be able to get out there - good session!

What: Nothing and looks like it will be nothing for a week at least. I went yesterday to have some skin lesions removed off my face and the surgeon said he may as well fix the cut on my chin as well. It was only afterwards that they said I couldn't run until after the stitches come out - next Tuesday, so my marathon training is taking a hiding! 

• Legs were a bit tired today, so I decided to go for a swim, only to find the pool shut for decontamination. The alternative of a struggled run appealed less than amputation. As it was a nice evening, I went for a decent bike ride (20 miles in 1:13). Good exercise.

I saw some of Gobi's blog entries and links to U-Tube videos. One had him doing some pack race round a shortish track. Head down and arse up, definitely. Then he got treated like he was a pack riding novice and they just devoured him. I think that's why he's got stuck into it, because he doesn't like getting beaten.

Lyrics? Yesterday, I thought they were familiar.
    Today: I have got the words and tune, so does that count?

Happy birthday to all those having them...

• Hello all and what a lot to catch up on. Well done all you endurance athletes. I am in awe of the biking/swimming/long runs.
    Nice was fantatsic fun. Part of the Rock'n'Roll series and just a 10 miler. Ran 1.32 as was under strict instructions not to go faster until further notice!!! Carnaval du Nice was on and that was a bit of a hoot. Lots of great walks, good food and v.little training...When is London?image
    Lyrics: Yes
    What: Nothing as just back from France..
    Why: .. and a bit jaded.
    Last Hard: 7th Feb
    Last Rest: Today
    Happy birthday to Miss B...good luck with the teenage years and watch out for the pvernight transformation Mr B
    Alehouse...hope you are still stretching

• Good to see you, SC:  glad Nice was nice. And thanks for the reminder about stretching: I have had other things on my mind!

Sweep?  Hope you are OK!
    Ditto, M!