ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Been rather busy recently so not posted as much as usual. Hard enough finding the time to run...........

Tigger - humping and bouncing! image

Clive - any news on the job front yet?

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Clive - house stuff is only just starting really and I'm already stressed out. Keeping the house tidy with 2 monsters at home is a nightmare. We have an offer on ours but they still need to sell which leaves us still in no mans land as far as looking is concerned. No wonder it's taken us 18 years to move image.

The running is now back to a stage where I feel happy so it's a matter of pushing on from here. I'm meeting up with Jen on Saturday at the Llanelli park run where we will both be trying to pick up speeding tickets!

I honestly don't know how you do your job. I feel slightly embarrassed moaning about my comparitively meagre workload.

How is your running going after returning from your hols?

• Hey Clive.... Operating all night.... makes you sound totally awesome..... good job we all know the truth!!  JUST MESSING!!

Malcs I don't know what you mean??? please explain!!

As for the house move, I moved 8 times in 8 years never again for me just going to extend the house instead! Green eyed monster I want to do the park run with you and Jen!

Sarah yes that does mean I have somewhere to stop in London, West Hamstead so not far off the M1!  Surely this now means 2014 will be my year for the London Marathon!

DS2 I'm back to full bounce, fab swim this afternoon, just got a little 15miler in the morning! Simples!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Tigger-Sorry its a bit of a long way to come for a 5k, but you'd be very welcome!! I'm looking forward to catching up with Mr and Mrs Malcsimage

I'm going to try get place VLM 2014 aswell, be great if a few of us did! Anyone else interested?

• Weve got our house up for sale at the moment too Malcs...its a pain keeping it tidy and theres only two of us and three budgies. Weve had a few people look round but no offers as yet.

Hope you and jen have a good run on saturday and enjoy catching up. Good luck with the speed cameras!

Good luck with your 15 miler in the morning tigger

I dont think I will be allowed to do any more marathons...I was supposed to only do 1.....some how ive managed to extend it to 3! when does the ballot open for VLM 2014?
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Cheers Sarah. Yes it's a pain and we're only on week 2! Are you moving locally? Upsizing?

Best of luck in Barcelona - if you don't get a PB I'll eat one of Adys compression shirts.

Tigger - I think it's best we bring the issue of your extra curricular activities to a close. Shame you can't join us on Saturday but as Jen says its not the sort of distance you'd travel unless you had more than the parkrun in mind.
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Tigger - 8 in 8 years. I would never have copedimage Life of a miltary wife, I suppose! Make sure you do VLM in 2014. It looks extremely likely that it will be on my actual 50th birthday. I will no doubt have some kind of celebratory thingy going on in Central London so will invite you all along! How did the 15 miler go?

Malcs- I promise not to depress you with stories of failed house moves. We've only moved once in 22 years though, so probably tells a story. The next move will be a downsize!!!

Sarah - the ballot usually opens the day after VLM or within a day or two anyway. It will close within a few hours so don't miss out. You won't need a ballot place though!!!image

Had a really disruptive week of training this week because of work. it's gone mad here - all the bloody baby boomers reaching retirement age and the banks not advising anymore!!!! (Great for business image but I don't want to work this hard anymore!image). Anyhow, took it out on the roads this morning and ran exactly a half marathon in 1:35. Felt pretty strong at the end so hope to maintain this pace for 20 at the Surrey Spitfire 20 in 2 weeks time.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Evening all, am really looking forward to parkrun tomorrow...with no danger of a speeding ticket for me at least! can't vouch for the other runners though...image

Good running DS2, I really empathise with work getting in the way of training, why don't clients understand this!! I am starting to struggle now with the late dark runs, I can't wait for the summer!!

Real rest day for me today, had a sports massage and now chilling, no youth club this week!! Have a good weekend everyone.

Sarah- you can't really put a limit on the number of marathons... can you?

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

I managed to knock another 16secs off my 5k pb this morning image getting faster is SO hard! It was really good meeting up with mr n mrs malcs.image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Jen - great to see you today. I think we could have happily spent the rest of the morning in the cafe. Sorry we had to skip off but we fel a bit guilty dumping the little fellas.

Well done on your PB too! I have only run one 5K time trial before and that was at boot camp I did 21:08 today which was a very nice surprise. Beats BC by 37 secs. Nearly killed myself though - very close to a Paula moment in the last half mile.

I had a very nice surprise in the cafe at the end when Jen very kindly presented me with, what is now becoming a legend in its time, Jenf chocolate granola bars. Worth the trip down the M4 just for that - thanks so much Jen!

DS2 - some fantastic running there sir! If you can do Spitfire at that pace then surely your GFA qualification will be in the bag.

Tigger - 8 years of moves!!! I think I would die from the stress. Don't know how you managed it.

Sarah - DS2 is right. I think last year it filled even quicker in 24hrs. I would get on there on the morning it opened if I were you. That's what I'll be doing.
  • Morning all!!  Yet again called on the experience of one of our dentists and doctors on friday! so missed out on 15 miler! Doh!

DS2 its not a case of 'make sure' its more a case of 'I've entered the ballot for the last 3 years please let me in'!! This year Mr Tigs knows better then to mess with the rejection letter!!!

Sarah did you have any joy with the TR24 place and your friend, I was thinking of setting up a thread advertising the place what do you all think?

As for the house moves, Mr Tigs was not around for half of them! quite funny when he arrived home at the station not knowing which was his house or in fact where anything was!!

Well done with everyone's running over the weekend! looks like everyone seems to be celebrating a new pb which is brilliant!

Got to fly play date at soft play followed by a sports massage which is well needed and will hurt like hell!! perfect day!! Laters x

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Well done on the 5k PB's Jen and Malcs. Brilliant.

Shame to miss the long run Tigger. Can you fit it in some other time?

I've been really lazy this weekend. In Devon visiting my sister and her family. Ended up doing lots of walking yesterday on the coast in Bude. Beautiful day! But no running. Must try to do something useful today. Giving legs a rest though so probably not such a bad thing.

Malcs - we'll have to see about GFA. Just need to get in best shape I can and see. Hopefully weather will be cooler than last 2 years but May is a bit of a lottery.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Cheers DS2. I think you deserved a rest after all the work you've been putting in!

Yes, May is edging towards that warmer part of the year. That said, in recent years I've found it gets really warm in mid April then eases off in May before hotting up in June before the rain hits in July and August image. You never know, you might get lucky. The weather is a bit of a lottery at the moment, swinging all over the place.

I did 18 miles on Sunday. For the first 9 it was cool, no breeze, sun in the sky - perfect conditions. Coming back I had a force 10 gale in my face the whole way! I felt like I was going nowhere for most of it. Probably good training as I was on the course I'll be running in April. However, if the wind is like that on the day I can kiss goodbye to any PB hopes.

Tigger - still plenty of time to get a Bacon replacement. I seem to remember people posting about wanting a a place on the TR24 facebook page last year. Wasn't this early in the year though. Enjoy your perfect day!

• Hi everyone, sorry not been around as busy week on call on call, then attending to neglected wife and 2 small boys for the last couple of days...

Sounds like the running foing well for everyone... Mine seems to be a bit flat, struggling to find time over the last few weeks as work/interview/etc been really hectic. I've entered a 10k on Sunday, but its a hilly course and not done any speedwork so intend to run under a pseudonym so no one finds out how slow I am image

DS- I got the job thankfully, so hope to start in the summer. Will be glad of getting rid of the commute, and the on call is less onerous too.

Tigger- I will ask at work as think a couple of people here would be interested in the TR

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Clive- brilliant news about the job. Congrats.

We'll have our spies with our ears to the ground so the incognito thing won't work.

Finally got 10 miles in this morning in the lanes in North Devon. It was so hilly. 5 miles were meant to be at HMP but just not possible. A good workout nonetheless and my legs feel mashed for first time this year.

Great effort Malcs to get to 18 so quickly.
  • jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Congratulations re job Clive, now with that worry out of the way you can get back to the serious job of running!!

malcs- did you get any other runs in while you're in s wales? it was glorious today and still light when I got home from work, It was SO nice getting out this eve, beautiful sunset on the beach image

Hi DS2, hills are becoming my new friend, but they mash my legs too!

• Thankyou Malcs for the good luck...you eating socks would have been a great booby prize!

We have had our house on the market now for a couple of months. Lots of people have viewed it but no offers as yet, which is quite frustrating due to all the time im currently spending cleaning the house and keeping it clean!

Thanks DS2, a friend has asked me to apply for him for VLM as he is going to be out of the country. I cant believe that you ran a training run almost at my last race pace!

Congratulations jen on a PB.

Hi Tigger no news yet about the TR24 place but I havent asked many people, as yet, but I have being quite selective. I will ask everyone at Belvoir at the weekend and if there is no luck then we could try on here like you said if you want?

Congratulations again in getting your new job clive. Are you doing the 10k in sheffield this weekend?
  • congratulations to Malcs too on a new 5k PB
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Clive - congratulations on the new job, hope it all works out for you. I'm sure your running will be back on track very quickly.

Jen - I did a nice recovery run yesterday with Mrs Malcs, down the cycle path then past the leisure centre and back past the hospital to Felinfoel. Hoping to head East on the cycle path today through the wetlands centre and loop back round for my midweek long run around 11 ish. As you say the weather has been superb - cool but nice and bright. Are you still having to do mostly evening runs?

Sarah - it was Ady's compression shirt I was offering to eat. Consuming socks would be the act of a crazy man. What do you take me for? image 

I sympathise completely with your house cleaning nightmare. We have been lucky enough to get an offer early but can't accept it fully until they sell. Getting a bit worried that the viewings seem to have dried up though.

DS2 - cheers! I was a bit concerned about building up too quickly. I think I was careful enough going from 10-18 in 2mile per week steps. I certainly feel no ill effects. I'm thinking that the midweek long run has played its part well in helping me advance. I'm wondering whether to do 18-20 again this weekend or drop it a bit to 15 or 16 ahead of Spitfire the week after. I guess if I feel fine it may ok. I'm not racing Spitfire so it's not like I need to be totally fresh. 

I'm playing it very safe regarding 'mashing' the legs. Last time I did that I inadvertently mashed my medials as well image

• Evening guys,

Hope you are all good. Well done on pbs Jen, Malcs and Sarah!

Sarah, I've entered the Graves 10k at weekend, but on call Saturday so if awful night will skip racing and do recovery run ( do you like the excuses for being slow already image?)

A friend at work is interested in TR, is going to get back to me in the next few days...

• lol...i did think socks was a bit drastic Malcs.

Thats good news that youve had an offer already. Did you get your asking price? Fingers crossed that they will sell soon and everything will run smoothly. Have you found somewhere to move to?

Haha, Clive I love it...takes the pressure of. I will keep my fingers crossed that your friend is able to join us for TR.
  • Hey guys!

May not have been running at all since Sunday, But I did swim in the north sea yesterday!

Well done on the Job Clive thats great to hear!!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

BRRRR! Tigger, I feel cold thinking of it!

I've done a couple of speed sessions this week, but I'm finding it very frustrating! retired to the comfort of the gym and did some heavy deadlifts this eve! image 

Malcs, yes, I do most of my runs in the eve after work, but I occasionally take a wed afternoon off and drive somewhere different to run ( and then have coffee n cake!) as a treat.

When is your next race Sarah?

Clive - I like your thinking. I treated a 10k last year as a training run, and got a PB! lol

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Tigger - I was about to call you mental but then I remembered who I was talking toimage

Jen - hmm, coffee n cake after the parkrun, coffee n cake on a Wednesday...do the gym sell coffee and cake too? I'm spotting a pattern image

• tigger your crazy...how the hell did you make yourself go in to the North Sea in winter? Im such a wimp...I dont even like going out doors in winter, let alone in the sea!

What did you do for your speed sessions jen?

Im doing the Belvoir challenge this saturday but I think im just going to run it steady rather than race it.....famous last words! the week after im doing a 9 mile race but it will be 2 days after my long run so im not fancying my chances!
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sarah - forgot to say, we didn't get the asking price (does anyone?) but we budgeted for being knocked down and are happy with the offer we got. Nothing yet to move into - too scared to find somewhere until we're in a proeceedable position.

• will you be staying in the same area?
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Yes, only looking to move within a couple of mile radius image

How about you? I assume you're looking to upsize? Have you found anywhere yet? The problem we've had us that you can't really go looking until you have someone to buy yours.
  • jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Malcs- you know you really want to move down here image 

Sarah - this week I did 3xmile intervals as fast as I could, tried to hit 8min mile but struggled. That min faster really takes me out of my comfort zone. Help anyone??

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Jen - I'm not hard enough to live in Wales image I'm sure Mrs Malcs would be back there at the drop of a hat if she had the chance though.