P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• We've all been there 15w, one too many over a weekend etc. mind you probably not when we've been marathon trainingimage

• Skim read for me - Nice tempo Ten.

Binned run today as am on sick bench with a ulcerated throat - hope it just sods off quick. Will do 10 in morning if feeling more like it

Get well soon 15w and pottermiss

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Thanks all...yes, maybe one too many - but to be honest feels like some sort've virus. I expect the beer didn't help though.

Ulcerated throat?! That doesn't sound very nice....

• 15West, my offer of virtual sympathy was based on the assumption that it was a virus rather than just being self-inflicted.

Hope you feel better soon, Mennania.

• Hard work keeping up, for all on the sickness bench fingers crossed its not for long.

Some great LT runs done and people pushing the speed sessions. Two runs for me today first 7 miles at dark o'clock in fog and black ice so this was done at a steady pace. Second session was at work at lunch time 7 miles with 7 half mile intervals done at 5:24 pace with easy half miles at 8:20 pace in between, could have done more and a little faster so that's a good sign at this stage image
  • I love stats too Ten!  Well done great run - I think you will do far faster marathon than you think.  

15W - you feeling any better this evening?  I do find if I burn candle both ends in training (i.e get pissed and then do heavy training) it wastes me.  **sips wine carefree** - hopefully you are just a bit worn out and feel better after a decent sleep tonight.

Chick - thank you!  Still buzzing from it!  I know the pace isn't what some dudes do on here but to me, it was a turning point, I actually had a good confident strong race.  So heres to the rest of training and hopefully will see the benefits of the work I am putting it.  

Mennania - oh no - have you been swallowing razor blades again...? image You bloody Welsh. 

7 miles recovery at 9:35m/m for me tonight.  Felt good.  So, probably could have gone faster on Sunday... 

Going to enter Liverpool Half I think. 

• Still at work, 0-1 down, can see a few that could do with reading P&D!

Sick bench hopefully only temporary but between us I guess a few injuries/illnesses are bound to happen.

Will be running my first VO2 of the programme tomorrow, freezing fog out there at the moment so hope that clears and the roads are in good nick.  Whatever the conditions I don't think they will be at NP pace

• Hope everyone on the sick bed gets better soon. At least you get it out the way now so youll have less likelihood of being Ill for the big day.

Just got back from a 9 mile GA run with company averaging 7 min pace and it felt great. Chatted all the way through and it sailed by. Reminded me why I enjoy running. Still having a bit of a crisis of confidence and considering ditching the sub 3 target and just running to enjoy it.

And Heow - less of the welsh bashing! We've still got the rugby to come! Ha.
  • 9 mile GA for me, averaged around 7:40, quite a hilly route, felt very easy, added a few strides, not sure if I'm doing them correct as I've never done them before. But a nice early evening run in the countryside with the dog, 14 tomorrow.
  • I think the GAs can be done however you fancy them. Some times I do them around 7 mins, sometimes 8 mins. Think it depends what you been up to and how you are feeling. I think you have earned a GA run at the slower end of the scale after your half marathon time Craig!
  • Craig I noticed tonight my recovery time felt a piece of bloody piss, I felt like I was walking.  I do think racing has its benefits in that respect - it gives you confidence plus you see how fast you can go over distance and that when you are running slow, it serves its purpose but it's nice to know, that you aren't becoming a one pace pony! 

Chris - your paces terrify me! 

Liverpool Half is full.  Is racing Blackpool Half 3 weeks out too near? - I do recover quickly...

• YES Blackpool is too close. Ironbridge?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Not sure HeOw. I am in Wilmslow half and that is 4 weeks out and was worried that too close to race.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hang on - Blackpool half is two weeks out!

• I am doing Manchester, 28 April.

• Ironbridge too hilly for me.  Need mega flat course to see where I am at nearer marathon, see if I am an afleet loike...image

• Hi Literation,

Practically as scheduled.

Only difference actually made it harder, doing the 14 miler that week on the Friday rather than the Wednesday.

• Crikey this is a fast moving thread, just like us lot.image
    Heow to answer you first, no not really aiming for 3.30 anything sub 3.40, today's pace just felt right at the high 70s low 80ish% max heart rate which I understand is steady state/ marathon pace, I try to use the hrm as much as possible to determine my pace anything above that would be LT pace , I was going to do just 3-4 miles at that pace but it felt nice and comfortable I would have done 9-10 but want to feel fresh as poss for tomorrows VO2 session image yesterday I did my recovery run at 70% and had to 9.30-10 min mile due to fatigue from racing it feels slow but I do what the monitor
    says that way I was left feeling fresher for today, and its great that you are getting involved with your local park run , it seems to me that that sub 1.40
    half is as important to you as getting a good marathon time, same here but be careful it isnt at the detriment of you marathon training, too much tapering and recovery wont leave much time for scheduled quality runs. A half 3 weeks out..hmmmmmmmmmmmm..imageyou may get away with it at your age..I raced one 2 weeks out once and really regretted it come  mile 18 of my marathon

Ten I will let you off calling me a whore just this once ,image lovely run there well done you.
    Lit have a nice easy week from now ready for your half,I too shall be doing an unscheduled 22 this coming Sunday as my half is on the 3rd..and loving the twatty pilates got another class tomorrow..
    so its 15w Pottermiss and Mennania who are benched.?..well healing vibes to you all

Got to think of somewhere round her flat enough to do those 600s tomorrow may even resort to the treadmill if all else fails, I was thinking of doing a club track session tomorrow which will be 800s but the temptation to keep up and end up running too fast is putting me off that idea. So ore unsociable lonesome running..image oh well.(love it really )image

• Go CazGo Caz ✭✭✭
    15 West and Pottermiss, I had a tummy bug at the end of last week so I can sympathise. And I don't think anyone can say it's self-inflicted, 15W! I still don't feel quite right...

I did an LT run today, as I thought I'd swap this week and next week's schedule so that I get a recovery week before my half mara. Does that sound reasonable?

Night Nurse, you sound like you are really getting into the (was it twattish?) Pilates. I do it once a week and would swear by it. It's certainly not easy at times!
  • Caz yes I like it because its so different, it looks easy but I am honestly crap ,and really have to concentrate hard, I stay at the back of the class so no one can really watch me lol..there are some what I would call plump..no well actually FAT women ,that couldn't run a mile let alone a marathon .(.god that sounds bitchy ) but they loads better at balancing than I am .

And yes swapping the weeks to get a recovery week leading up to the half is very sensible, I have to say that cos thats what I a doing next week my half is on the 3rd  

• Caz, my plan's got arrows all over it from swapping things! The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is voluntarily doing an LT session when no-one's making you... but I suppose you have to do it some time.

NN, my usual pilates class is tiny so I can't hide, but even though I am way stronger than some of the other people there, there are some exercises I just can't do because I don't have the co-ordination or flexibilty for them. But you can definitely notice yourself getting better.

• Thanks peeps.  I'll see how I feel on the weekend and perhaps slip in an extra mile.  I've got an idea how I can mini-sort-of-semi-taper next week for the half-marathon, though I'm not at all sure what to do about the week after the race.  I'll run it past you all nearer the time.

Apologies NN - I was actually probably referring to another forumite called "Lady of the Night Nurse", hence the confusion image  It won't happen again.  I wouldn't want to upset anybody who's hobby includes the use of a device called a "reformer" image

Get well soon 15w/Men/Pottermiss

• Reformer ? christ its all I can do to use the ruddy 2k hand weights without falling @rse over tit...I will stick to the mat..image

Ten do the LSR  it is important, then take it easy, I shall do 22 on Sunday, and am doing a half on the 3rd.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    HeOw wrote (see)

I am doing Manchester, 28 April.

Oh yeah, forgot.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Have swapped things round a bit this week as didn't want to do a VO2 run too close to a MP run, so it's 11 miles for me today. Think I'm ok to run, but yesterday evening I was eating normally and everything has stayed down so far...and feel almost normal this morning. I'll see how it goes.

HeOw - keep trying for Liverpool and maybe Wilmslow - people drop out. Keep checking events forum page.

• Thanks NN.  I'm definitely going to do the LSR, but I've just been unsure whether to increase from the scheduled 20 miles.  Going by what you, Lit and SR have said I will extend the run, depending on how I feel on the weekend.  I'm planning to run it on Saturday and take Sunday as a rest day.

Here's what I'm planning, leading up to the race:

Today (Weds): Rest image; Thurs 12m MLR; Fri 5m Recovery; Sat: 20-22m LR; Sun Rest.  [weekly total miles 55-57]

Next Week (Total 46m):

Mon: 8m VO2max (5x0.4m intervals)

Tue: 12m MLR

Wed: 5m Recovery + Strides

Thu: 8m GA

Fri: Rest

Sat: Rest

Sun: Race Half Marathon

Does that look reasonable?  I've changed it several times already, so it's not cast in stone image

The week following the half marathon is another debate.  I'm finding that even harder to decide what to do, as I can't find any firm guidelines in P&D.  I get the feeling I should be changing the VO2Max session during the week following the race to make it a week of easy (effort) running, but I'm not at all sure.  Is it reasonable to expect to be able to run 18m with 14m@MP a week after the race? I could potentially push the MP run back one week to a week where I have an organised 18m training run booked.

• Ten - for Wrexham on Sunday I did my recovery week a week early (I'd had a couple easier weeks because of illness so really wasn't a problem) and did no pace work that week and won't be doing any pace work this week either (there's 5 miles LT scheduled in 10 miler on Friday). I figured 13 miles at HMRP is enough for two weeks worth! I would also maybe change the 5 mile recovery with strides to the Friday, I did this and found the speed definitely got legs ticking over pre race.

15W - I will keep eye out for Wilmslow I think.

Feel like I'm getting another cold. Damn this asthma.
  • Ten that is perfect, similar to mine but I have no V02 session next week   you have plenty of time to recover if you do yours Monday, as for the week after that will depend on your abilty to recover from a race, when did you last race ? skipping a VO2 session wont matter , as the book says it isnt as important as LT and endurance sessions plus you will have done a serious effort in the half anyway , and using the  the 18 mile organised run as an MP session sounds ideal, leave the MP till then.

Oh as Heow says I always get a few strides done on the Fri/ sat before race day

Take care Heow , the trouble with racing is are immune systems are weak for a couple of days, 

• I got a wilmslow place after somebody dropping out, didn't realise it was so popular, looking forward to it now.
  • stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Ten, my plan is to extend the 20 miler this weekend by about a mile or so (mainly because its a nicer route) before doing a HM the week after.  

My original plan was similar to yours for the week before the HM, as it basically follows the schedule but drops the Saturday long run - but my plan's all over the place at the moment after missing most of last week! The one thing you may want to consider is a 5m (or shorter) recovery on the Sat - this is a personal thing as I find I start out too fast if I've had a few days off, so the short run just gets the legs turning over without expending too much energy, and also lets you vent some of the nervous energy that builds before an event.

For the week after I'm planning to follow the schedule, but I'll see how I feel - for example the Tuesday is 8m with intervals, so I may skip the intervals.

I completed the 11m with 7m LT session this morning - I agree its defnitiely nice to have that one completed!  PS If you want a nice psychological boost, make a quick calculation of how quickly you did 6.2 miles and compare it to your 10k race times image  Its nice to see how fast you completed it - probably not PB territory, but then PBs aren't set mid-week with an additional 5 miles of running.