Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

blimey Matt. I hope everything is OK with you and yours

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

sorry Matt, a mixture of whizzing in and out of this forum meant I completely missed your post! Sounds pretty bad, hope is all right with all of you pal!

• Matt hope everyones unhurt mate that sounds real scary. Lets us know know that the Mrs is OK.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Yep everything turned out fine. Apart from a sore head from where it hit the window, the wife and bump are fine. Cars a bit of a mess and has been taken for repair. We're told to expect a new wheel, front wing and front and back door.

I never did get out for a run but not such a bad thing as my legs were shattered from Sunday. image
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Cars aren't too important when there's people at stake, so sounds good news.

Double done for today. 4miles easy at 7am, and then the bookend just completed.

4x200 at 1500 pace, (32,33,33,33), 90sec, 4miles MP (average 5.59, 1 sec quicker than my new range should start at), 90secs 4x200 at 1500, (33,33,33,34)

Worked it well to do the 200s on the track, and use the 90sec recovery to get to the 0.9mile loop just next to it.

looks fair does on paper, but hitting 1500 pace after a while, and then straight into 4miles at the new MP, and then straight back into more 200s made it a good work out.

Strictly speaking the 1500 pace is 4.42-4.47, which would make the 200s need to be 35/36s, but when you do these you do the pace that comes sometimes, so average 33s felt right.

As the track reps were short and light reps I ditched the headfones for once...that might have helped the form! Last time i did that was with the track session with Phil he mentioned...last August did he say?

• My first efforts at sub 6 pace today. Admittedly it was only 3x1000m in about 3:40 pace but as Johnas says, back on track. Session was deliberately aimed to be easy so that I completed it and beat the target of 3:45 so I can now try again soon and add an extra 1000 or do them a bit faster.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You've done a 16, and now some efforts, so sounds like the Phil-machine is back a rolling.image

• Afternoon all!

Not posted for a few days, as wifi dodgy in the holiday place.

Glad to hear you are all ok Matt. Always a bit of a shock that sort of thing.

Lots of coastal running f

or me, with some very dicey cliff top slippery mud sheenanigans thrown in for good measure-I came very close to my last ever slide on Sunday some 200ft up a Purbeck cliff!!! Nev

er mind 9 min miling Sg, on my 8.5 and 6.2 Sun and Mon I struggled to hit 10!

Intervals this morning, on a slightly soggy, slightly hilly golf course. 4 x 1k, so similar to your session Philip. Came out 3.39, 3.39, 3.44, 3.45 so not fast, but about the right effort level anyway

• wifi just went!

Anyway, just heading out for 6M in the evening sunshine. Lots of lovely hills along the coast path again, but hopefully the mud will have dried out a bit...

• Nice sess SG, strange to see MP mixed with some 1500 pace efforts.

I did 8 x 1KM @ 10K off 90 seconds. Track was a mess and had to rush my warm up as the track needed to be locked and shut by 4:30. So didn'y do the usual dynamic drills and strides (this will explain the bad first rep). 3:36 is the target pace.

3:41, 3:36, 3:33, 3:31, 3:29, 3:32, 3:31, 3:25. Average of 3:32 (or 3:31 if you take out the first stinker!). In two weeks we do that with only a minute recovery, but at least I'll be in a group then.

Rest of the week... recovery 4 tomorrow, day off, recovery 3/strides, RACE. 

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

good news Matt. glad to hear it.

monster sessions from everyone today it seems. "Track Tuesdays" are go! As soon as I get out this office got my 2nd run of the day and some mixed threshold to 5k intervals - 60 mins inc 6,5,4,3,2,1 off 90 sec jog.

• Day of the 1000m reps. Not quite as catchy as jackal though.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Everyone seems to be hammering the track! That looks a good session that SG.

I think our club coach is reading from a similar training manual to yours Stevie see. Ours should've been 5 x 1000 then 3 x 800. The 1000s came out at 0.75 mile as we were on the industrial estate.

The 3/4 mile had 90 secs rec then 3 x 1/2 mile had 60 seconds recovery. Missed the run yesterday so did a slow 4 early this morning. Pace came out at 5.21- 5.12- 5.13- 5.13- 5-11 for the 3/4 mile then 5.03- 4.59- 5.14 for the 1/2 mile.

At the time I wasn't happy with the session as I got my arse royally kicked off a former club mate who came back to train with us. He just seemed to leave me for dead half way through every rep. image Ill be racing the local grand prix against him this summer i imagine so at first it had me thinking ive got my work cut out. i started the session with a bit of a limp after the whack I took on my knee on Sundays fell run and I could definitely feel that run in my legs.

Looking back now and at the splits I'm a lot happier with it. Couple Sundays run with this mornings 4, then throw the hill that is in each rep I think it's some of the quickest reps I've done on there that have been done on there apart from the really short stuff.

Been looking at Christelton 5k but its about a 100 mile round trip, maybe more and is a couple of days from the newborns due date. :-/
  • mattl wrote (see)
    The 3/4 mile had 90 secs rec then 3 x 1/2 mile had 60 seconds recovery. Missed the run yesterday so did a slow 4 early this morning. Pace came out at 5.21- 5.12- 5.13- 5.13- 5-11 for the 3/4 mile then 5.03- 4.59- 5.14 for the 1/2 mile.

mattl, took me a few readings to understand that as most people use time rather than pace for reps so your 3/4 miles (1,200m give or take not too much) at 5:20 pace are actually 3/4 mile in 4:00 or 80 seconds a 400m lap and the 1/2 miles at 5:00 pace are actually 1/2 mile in 2:30 or 75 seconds a 400m lap.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I use my Garmin when i do the intervals on the road but just a basic stop watch when on the track. Its just habit why i use pace per mile when doing the stuff on the road and i use seconds per lap when on the track.

all the reps for the 1200 (0.75 mile)image did come out under 4 mins.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yes Matt, do it Phil's way in future please son. If we can't understand the session, how are we meant to tell you it's too fast image

Day off today, so of to Marlow for a nice 10mile slow run. Hopefully the route isn't flooded and then it'll be a nice scenic little run. Is good to be able to do the medium long run with no time pressures in the day for once!

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

Yes Matt, do it Phil's way in future please son. If we can't understand the session, how are we meant to tell you it's too fast image

Day off today, so of to Marlow for a nice 10mile slow run. Hopefully the route isn't flooded and then it'll be a nice scenic little run. Is good to be able to do the medium long run with no time pressures in the day for once!

It's such a difference isn't it? Just being able to pick a nice place to run in the daylight makes a 10 miler all the easier. I'm off out in a bit for a 4-6 miler, not really sure how far to go, rest day tomorrow. I expect to feel a bit rough after yesterdays 1 hour massage and 8 x 1KM session.

Matt, despite getting slightly lost in translation, great session. 1200's in under 4 min's is going some, that's my 3K pace image I'm like you, if I'm doing timed intervals I use average pace per rep, and time when doing distance reps.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good run, perhaps unsurprisingly bits were muddy as anything, but this time I at least didn't take a face first spill into it!

Did look a treat when I collected some trainers at the running shop right at the end though!

Stevie, did think on the run that if you're comfy doing 3.32/3,33 1k reps, and as many as 8 you'll be well away to reduce that 1min gap I currently enjoy image

• We'll see! Trafford, believe it or not is flatter than Leeds! Only 18 meters up! I'm looking to only go under 36 again, no heroics yet! But if I go under 36 then it'll be touch and go a PB with 35:51 to beat. I'm fitter that's for sure.

Entered a 5 mile race on the 31st of March. Nice end to the longer rep/races period to lead into the track/5K season.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Looking at  my 10ks, since October 2010 I went like this...

• 35.52   Oct 2010  flattish course big pb
    • 35.50   April 2011 flat airfield, but super windy...2 sec pb!
    • 36.47   July 2011  Wycombe 10k, first mile big hill!
    • 35.20   July 2011 super flat Dorney 10k, big pb
    • 36.24    Oct 2011 same course as 35.52 but hot day
    • 36.48   July 2012 Wycombe 10k....
    • 35.41  Oct 2012 Southend 10k, flat course, but very windy last 3km
    • 35.24  Dec 2012 Flat with 4km on a very windy airfield
    • 34.43  Feb 2013  Flat course (with a few inclines) very quality field big pb!

I just like to reminisce and look back, but that also just shows you that you need that fitness but also the luck to have the right situation on the day.

Ignoring the 2 Wycombe 10ks, I was in pb shape for the other 7. 4 came out pbs, 3 the weather hindered me. Probably not too bad a record really.

• hi, does everyone here follow the same training plan? Seems a motivational thread!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Hi Phil AB, thought you were our resident Phil popping up with a new name.

Answer is no...I follow the big coach man Moraghan's plan to the letter, the original point of the thread, being to improve someone who'd run for years but through doing whatever he liked. The rest of the chaps fuse a mixture of running club weekly sessions with their own choices based on time available and just enjoyment!

• hi Stevie, no although Phil A B is not a great name and will have to decide on something better (that others havent taken first!).

I have yet to run a sub 40 10k (40.11) although have it in my legs just didnt race in a while. Track yesterday: 5 * 1500 10k pace (last 300 fast), 400m jog recovery and my times averaged 5:40mm. Race is 3rd March!

• Hi Phil! I came to this thread having never ran sub 40 Phil, now I've got a 35:51 PB. So get stuck in on here, try some new sessions out and see what works for you.

I've penciled in a 10k early May, but not sure if I'll be in 'track mode' by then.

A nice 6.75 miles with strides in 7:10avg. Legs felt great, now for a rest day. Thena cheeky 4 with strides on Friday. Really looking forward to putting myself through the mill again!  

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

what Stevie see said.

Joining you for a T OFF tomorrow. Is richly timed as my body is revealing to me that 1500 pace with MP yesterday, and a largely offroad 10&4 today needs a break.

The 4 just then was one of the rare runs where I started craving what to eat tonight...pasta, beans and bread sound good.

• SG, what do you have listed for Sunday? I could do with a 12 at 7:30 pace.

• Phil A B, we used to have Biscuits AB in the army. Don't follow that link in a public place.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil for one ugly moment, when i saw the word "biscuits" and "army" I did fear the worst! Bearing in mind your average army bloke makes your average rugby bloke look refined.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

SG, what do you have listed for Sunday? I could do with a 12 at 7:30 pace.

exactly a 12 on the agenda conveniently. My easy pace these days is 6.53 to 7.45, so if we could start at 7.30 and gently ease up a little (not near top end) that'd work well.

Maybe we could do something like meet at the bottom of your hill, so that we both have 1mile on the clock, do a run out to the footy ground/west wycombe, come back the same way, part at the hill, and then we've got 1mile left each.

Depends on you as it might not be ideal for you to end on the hill, but makes the 2 runs link well, and means I won't cost you a couple of miles like the other time image

• SG, looks a good plan, I can pop up the hill on my own at 10 minute pace. Dare I ask what time we meet?