What underwear to wear whilst running?

Okay, seems a bit personal. But what underwear is acceptable to wear whilst running? If I wear leggings, I get really visable pantline, but wearing a thong doesn't seem right for exercise? HELP!

Comments

• The usual convention is to wear none. 

• Briefs. I find with nothing there is a lot of movement down below, which seems to put a lot of drivers off
  • I wear my wifes knickers sometimes when i forget to take them off from the night before. Can't say i've ever noticed a visable line.

• VPL is not something to stress about, comfort is more important. Don't forget a good sports bra too.
  • ^^ what he said, its a run not a night club, dont worry what people think, be comfortable.

that said, my gf uses the nike combat pro ones, she says they are amazing. not cheap mind you, sports direct do/did them cheap though or a while so worth a look there.

• imageUltra waccyracer wrote (see)

I wear my wifes knickers sometimes when i forget to take them off from the night before. Can't say i've ever noticed a visable line.

Beat me to it....image

YFronts very nice yellow ones

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I would say that when the back ground noise of traffic accidents subsides to only the odd ding. Then your choice of underwear is suitable.

You are quite correct in avoiding the thong option or worse (better for some) the commando line.

A run in public under these conditions could result in something resembling a Hollywood blockbuster involving Bruce Willis.

🙂

• Decathlon do some good sports pants/knickers. Well they do for boys, so I'm assuming the same for the lasses too!
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭

red pants white leggings is the way to go.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

why is it only blokes responding to this question?

• Acceptable? This isn't the Ritz, there isn't a dress code. Wear whatever feels comfortable and that includes a thong or nothing at all. I don't wear anything.

• wear what is the most comfortable........I used to wear a pair of bikini bottom when i first started running..........

but after a few people told me that comando is the most comfortable......I has ran commando for the lastfew years and wouldn't go back to wearing knickers now for running...........just don't wear thin tights or shorts,,,,,,,,and definitely not white ones that go see through in the rainimage

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    seren nos wrote (see)

......just don't wear thin tights or shorts,,,,,,,,and definitely not white ones that go see through in the rainimage

spoilsport.

• All the shorts I own now have a stitched in brief lining, and I have to say it is far more comfortable than any shorts/underwear combo I had previously worn. 

But I have no idea if such things exist for women.

• mattywarr wrote (see)

All the shorts I own now have a stitched in brief lining, and I have to say it is far more comfortable than any shorts/underwear combo I had previously worn. 

But I have no idea if such things exist for women.

that must be where i went wrong in last weeks marathon image

my man sausage was rather battered (pun intended) and didnt have the trusty vaseline on hand so just had to run through it image

• thong unless doing long distance and then i wear nada!! 

correction - i wear long leggings.  with nada underneath.  who wants chaffage???  not me!!  image

• Personally I couldn't give two hoots whether I have a VPL or not - I'm out to run not at a beauty pageant.  Shock horror, I don't even wear makeup either........!

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I wear nothing under my running shorts/tights, less risk of chafing.

Less stuff to wash, too image

There is no "acceptable" underwear for running - wear what you are comfortable in.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Wilkie wrote (see)

Less stuff to wash, too image

i don't know how you work that one out.

it means you have to wash your shorts/tights every time instead of just your pants.

• You don't wash your sweaty shorts as well? Yeuch!

But anyway, running bottoms all made from quick drying fabric and are about *that* big when you screw them up so what's the big deal about washing them anyway?

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    I run in the buff but use body paint to put myself in a pair of shorts... I don't think anybody ever notices.
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

You don't wash your sweaty shorts as well? Yeuch!

i do tend to as I run in shorts with linings but I don't think I would if I wore pants.

technically I don't wash them anyway, i leave them lying on the floor after a run and they magically re-appear in the drawer all clean and fresh a day or two later.

• skotty wrote (see)

i do tend to as I run in shorts with linings but I don't think I would if I wore pants.

technically I don't wash them anyway, i leave them lying on the floor after a run and they magically re-appear in the drawer all clean and fresh a day or two later.

They wouldn't if you lived in my house Skottyimage

• Screamapillar wrote (see)
    skotty wrote (see)

They wouldn't if you lived in my house Skottyimage

nor in my house.......and if Skotty didn't put his entire running kit in the wash after every run...then he wouldn't live long in my house eitherimage

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

i didn't realise how lucky I am.

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

But anyway, running bottoms all made from quick drying fabric and are about *that* big when you screw them up so what's the big deal about washing them anyway?

I wash mine when I do laundry, but I run nearly every day and I don't do laundry that often. I don't own six pairs of running tights, either.

At the risk of over-sharing, I do wear pants when running, but usually, er, yesterday's discarded ones from the laundry basket. They're only going to get sweaty anyway, no point wasting a clean pair.

I think I might have just worked out why I'm single. image

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Rubber underpants are handy, in case you get the trotsimage
  • I use the Skins A200 half tights under shorts (race ready). Theyre realy comfortable, dont rub and they keep everything in place and stationary.....if you know what I mean image

• i wear regular girly pants  - but mine are VPL free  full briefs  - very thin stretchy fabric - they are comfy  - despite their claim for no VPL  you can see them a tiny bit through lycra - but i don't care  - and i guess not as visible as regular pants 

i haven't  tried commando style - its just not me - and rather interestingly agree on the laundry aspects posted above  - clean undies are for after running after showering! sweating undies then go in  laundry  - shorts/leggings/joggers  - whatever i wore on bottom half will prob be worn at least 2-3 times before washing TBH because  a quick 40 min run doesn't need freshly laundered  clothing IMO and with my families demands on the washing machine  - i like to think i'm helping save energy lol