Just A Little Bit Further 2013

Comments

• Morning all,

Matt-Well done on your 4 miler last night. I am doing the Brighton Marathon on 14/4- just over 7 weeks to go - I am getting scared!! Enjoy your 4 weeks in Vietnam it will be a great experience.

Jude-Funnily enough I was thinking the other day as to whether you were in the Asian or European part of Turkey. Now I know & yes we do think of you as a runner and a great CRAC colleague and friend. 

Some brownies for me please....

6.3 miles this morning so 22 for the week. Rest tomorrow and then 18 miles - fingers crossed!!

On the subject of Marathons what nutrition do people take with them to keep them going. I have SIS gels - but only take them after 10 miles. They are ok,but, hate it that they get my fingers stick (a pet hate of mine) so may take some wipes with me!! Have also got jelly babies but don't think they offer as much as gels. Any suggestions?

Well I am off to take my daughters and youngest step son to the Weald and Downland Museum which is a great open air museum of houses/farm buildings etc through the ages. Good news it's not raining.

Speak later.

• WhooHooo! Matt's going to run the Thames Meander with me!!!! image *Dances around and gives everyone hugs and kisses* Am so excited and it's not until August!!

AF - dates and jaffa-cakes

In our home history project we are now up to Norman times. So have just been out looking at Norman churches and motte and bailey castles. But it's very cold so I think we are now going to have movie and paint nails. And eat choc brownies if there are any left after all the CRAC team have finished with the plate!

Hopefully I'll get a run later.

• Well, baby steps.  Had a meeting in another office today.  1.1km away, but road running in a suit.  Did it in 7.5 minutes, so average 9kph, so same speed as my treadmill running.  Am dead chuffed.

Ok, I wasn't able to set my pace properly, I hadn't worked out how to use MiCoach to do that (think I have now) so it was probably spats of 9.5kph plus a little bit of walking, but still, to be achieving that when not in proper running gear, albeit for a short time, is quite pleasing.

• I'm poorly. Can I curl up in front of the fire please?
  • NO!!!! 

As much as anything, we don't have a fire, and we're not insured for our own pyromania...

• Crac towers fire Mr by eck. It is lovely and warm and cosy and so so comfortable. And if I'm really good someone will bring me a cup of tea and a hot water bottle
  • And mummy by eck just ate my almond croissant. I can't get another until Tuesday. image
  • Boss, i used to use SIS gels and still do on ocassions but after miles n miles i get really sick of em. and i agree, they are messy. i now like GU gels, the choc one is fab and its like eating choccy pud. nom. they are a thicker consistency so you dont get messy. they may be too much on a mara (as in sickly wise) but i really like them for ultra. i find raisins work well for me too and cubes of cheese.

Chili/Matt, whn is Thames meander? i cant remember if i asked the date? id love to do it with you guys. the 25th im doing R85 and 10/11 im pacing someone else. is it scenic and off road?

• evening

boss - I think it is a really personal thing, you have to experiment to see what you get on with. jelly babies are fine, the only problem being that you might need to carry quite a few? Malt loaf is good, but a bit too chewy - makes it difficult to run when you are chewing

• agree with MC, its all a personal thing of trial and error. i suggest taking out various ' fuels' on your runs of over 10miles and seeing what you digest best and what benefits. drinks are prob more important to get right thn food in a mara to be honest as its more of what you will take into your system than food. drinks cause more tummy aggro than food id say. theres many sports drinks that are meant to be the 'best' and 'nutrionally balanced' etc but i cant tolerate Lucozade at all in any form. in fact most ready mixed sport drinks make me feek quite sick. i prefer water and squash. some peeps prefer flat coke...all a trial n error thing boss

• Boss, at abo I used 2 SIS gels and wine gums at the end. I have to say though that although fuel wise it worked nicely, my system didnt thank me for it. I didn't feel sick, just had to nurse the stomach back to normality over the following 24 hrs
  • I've tried malt loaf and dates, and although great for energy, you'll send half the race trying to get the bits out of your teeth, it's like glue!

*Throws a 2 day old doughnut at LLB

• Just for the record ... I didn't get my nails painted. image

• Matt, worrying about whats stuck in your teeth is only relevant for people whom grin inanely whilst running...and i mean , come on...WHO does that???image

* lobs coffee beans at Matt*

• 5 miles done with my big girl image She had far too much energy and needed to get rid of some bouncies. Need to take her back up to the woods sometime.

Loula,  the Thames Meander is the same day as you doing the Ridgeway 85. Is it a one day event?

I think AF should come and go it with us though image Byeck, what about you? Should be fairly easy for you to come too.

• List of races just to remind everyone. Louise is next with a race in 2 days time image

February
    22 Louise - Abras 10k

March
    2 Franny - Arbroath Smokies 10 mile ladies race.
    Eckytump - Fradley 10k
    10 AF - Worthing 20
    24 Franny - Grangemouth Around the houses 10k
    30 Louise - Two Oceans (Cape Town) 56k

April
    7 Mathschick - Sussex Marathon (ok, looking very unlikely now, but maybe I will back running and able to drop down to the half mara)
    12th Franny - Edinburgh Rock and Roll Half Marathon
    Loula - Compton 40
    14 AF - Brighton Marathon
    21 Eckytump - London Marathon
    21 Mathschick - David Lloyd Sprint Triathlon
    25/26 Chilibean - 100 mile Cycle to Cambridge & Back over 2 days
    27 Mathschick - 5k swimathon

May
    5 Mathschick - Southwell Sprint Triathlon
    6 Chilibean - 5k Radlett Rotary Run leading Rosedale Runners
    Byeck & Loula - North Downs Way 50
    26th Franny - Edinburgh Marathon

June
    2 Chilibean - Half Iroman Outlaw Triathlon
    22 Byeck - Giants Head Marathon
    22 Mathschick - Dambuster Standard distance triathlon

July
    22 Mathschick - Woodhall Spa Sprint triathlon
    23 Mathschick - great Notts bike ride

August
    Loula - pacer for another runner in his 100 miles
    24 Loula - Ridgeway 85
    24 Matt & Chilibean - Thames Meander Marathon

• ooooo arnt we busy?

• Maybe. I'll have spent 10-17th august as a responsible adult on a kids camp. It does fab. We might come and cheer!
  • Morning!  So much going on I had to re-read everything twice image.  Back in Dubai now - suuuunnnyyyy and waaarrrrmmmm.

On the long run energy thing - I like GU gels, especially vanilla (with caffeine) but I can only handle about half a gel at a time, max about 2 in one day otherwise stomach upset follows.  I just bought some Power Bars (German things) that cyclist friends swear by.  Although eating easier on the bike allegedly.  I wouldn't know, I have to hold handlebars with fearful deathgrip  which eliminates ability to unwrap anything much less go fast image.

10k Race tomorrow!  Not expecting to go flat out because that would mess with my TO programme but at least want to break the 60 minute psychological barrier.

I'd be keen for Thames Meander marathon, assuming TO goes well (ie I finish).  Also, I'll be at the RW Mudchute stand supporting runners for the London marathon - anyone else passing through?

• morning

Louise - good luck for tomorrow. I haven't managed to work out how to drink and eat on the bike yetimage

chili - you missed me off the outlaw half with you! Adding myself in:

February
    22 Louise - Abras 10k

March
    2 Franny - Arbroath Smokies 10 mile ladies race.
    Eckytump - Fradley 10k
    10 AF - Worthing 20 
    24 Franny - Grangemouth Around the houses 10k
    30 Louise - Two Oceans (Cape Town) 56k

April
    7 Mathschick - Sussex Marathon (ok, looking very unlikely now, but maybe I will back running and able to drop down to the half mara)
    12th Franny - Edinburgh Rock and Roll Half Marathon
    Loula - Compton 40
    14 AF - Brighton Marathon
    21 Eckytump - London Marathon
    21 Mathschick - David Lloyd Sprint Triathlon
    25/26 Chilibean - 100 mile Cycle to Cambridge & Back over 2 days
    27 Mathschick - 5k swimathon

May
    5 Mathschick - Southwell Sprint Triathlon
    6 Chilibean - 5k Radlett Rotary Run leading Rosedale Runners
    Byeck & Loula - North Downs Way 50
    26th Franny - Edinburgh Marathon

June
    2 Chilibean & mathschick - Half Iroman Outlaw Triathlon
    22 Byeck - Giants Head Marathon
    22 Mathschick - Dambuster Standard distance triathlon

July
    22 Mathschick - Woodhall Spa Sprint triathlon
    23 Mathschick - great Notts bike ride

August
    Loula - pacer for another runner in his 100 miles
    24 Loula - Ridgeway 85
    24 Matt & Chilibean - Thames Meander Marathon

• Thanks for everyone advice re nutrition. Seems to be trial and error!!! Drinks wise I think I am fine with just water. Will try soem GU gels as well.  What are gels meant to have in them that isn't found in  thibgs like jelly babies.  

Chilli-Thames meander. A possibility I guess - haven't yet made holiday plans yet.Want to get my 1st Marathon out of the way before i commit to no 2!!   

Louise -Good luck in y our 10k.

Hi Matt,LLB,be eck,Franny,Jude etc

For those cooks out there I made the Smoky Black Beant Stew that is on p87 in this moths RW recipe- really good. Although being a carnivore I had to add some bacon. Well worth trying.

No running  today for me. Resting before I do (hopefully) my next instalment of marathon training 18 miles!!

• Just a quick one to wish Louise good luck for tomorrow!  - GOOD LUCK!!

And good luck to AF for his 18 miles!- GOOD LUCK!

Hopefully, going to hear Verdi's Requiem tonight.......with hubby and daughter.

BFN x

• Thanks all - I'll look out for your pompoms image

AF - enjoy your 18 miler.  Let us know how it goes with the nutrition experiment.

Jude, enjoy the requiem, it sounds wonderful.

• Jude, enjoy the Verdi. I wrote about it as part of my dissertation. I think my housemates got a little fed up listening to it.

Louise, all the very best for your race tomorrow. It is bitterly cold here. I am trying to not be envious of you in Dubai.

Boss, cubes of normal.jelly are also a cheap option.
  • Boss the gels sometimes contain carbs or protein comlex too or electrolytes in some

• Afternoon All

Boing boing boing I am all excited...image we pick up our new car later on today...woo hoo...its been so so long since we had a new one...I lurve the smell of them...lol

Only a short 4 miler for me today and the gym.

AF...good luck with your 18 miler tomorrow.Shot bloks are good too...although i haven't used them but someone gave me a cube to try on our last club run. I have just esed the sis gels in the past.Not being using anything as yet as my mileage isn't up that far yet.

Louise..you are lucky being back in the warmth...image

Jude..enjoy Verdi.

Well  done to everyone who has run,biked and swam over the past few days.

Have a good evening all image

• Franny-Enjoy the new car. I have used shot blocks- but - they need to be drunk with water & in the last 1/2 marathon race I nearly chocked on it!!!! Still got a PB mind you.

LLB-carbs,electrolytes, protein- I guess that is important for a martahon or are they just gimmicks? Such a complex area that me as a mere mortal doesn't fully understand!!

I will keep you upto date. Tommorw I will use my SIS gels- will be hiding water at miles 6 and 12 1st thing in the morning as don't like to carry it with me. 

• franny - new car - what type? been a few years now since we got ours, but we got it brand new, lovely. 

been feeling really tired today but did a little in the gym and going swimming tonight, that will wake me upimage