Options

jogging v running

"Let's be clear, someone who takes more than 2 hours 45 minutes to complete a marathon didn't run a marathon, they jogged."

among the comments here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2013/feb/20/running-a-marathon-really-that-impressive

Comments

• Options
    Running is free, it's simple and it's what you want it to be. I don't think running is special, very enjoyable and addictive, but doing the most natural thing in the world is not special.

I can recognise that other peoples achievements (that may mean nothing to me) are special and personal to those people, and what is an achievement to me may mean nothing to anyone else. So whether your marathon is 2 hours or 6, it shouldn't matter.
  • Options

A 'simple' marathon, eh? Obviously written by someone who has never actually trained for and run a marathon. I've done London twice: in 2005 I did it in 4:56:51; and in 2007 I ran it in 5:04:13.

I still consider myself a runner, not a jogger. Let's face it, if you can complete a marathon you're not a jogger, but a runner.

A load of hogwash from the Guardian.

• Options

@Rickster, It's not the Guardians opinion or fault, just a comment from someone looking to cause a shit storm I think!

• Options

a least he came up with a nice good 2:50 time to do a marathon..........shows its not our friend david as he would have  had much lower standardsimage

• Options

interesting article. makes some good points re levels of participation in these events. in the space of just a few years it has become very difficult to even gain an entry to many ultras, whereas before it was just a handful of nutjobs.

it's all good.

• Options

i do agree with the bit about people just ask what time you finished.

most of them dont even run themselves but still like to comment on the times image

• Options
    I ran my first marathon (slowly as usual) and felt I could do more that pushed me towards ultras, and I guess as the number of marathon runners goes up the percentage who want more will fill out the ultras.
  • Options

as human beings live longer get (on the whole) healthier (despite what newspapers would have you believe and bigger/stronger, it stands to reason that the boundaries for human achievement/endurance will be pushed further.

In my opinion, what the blog writer says is true as regards finishing a marathon not being that impressive now. whether or that you are offended by that i guess depends on whether you run marathons to impress people or not.

• Options
    I think more people have the desire to a. run and b. run long distance, and so it will seem less impressive to the general public because everyone knows someone who has run a marathon (even if its just a friend of a friend) - as the dude says, it's not just a handful of nutjobs any more!

But anyone who thinks its easy needs to lace up their trainers and go out there and do it. The back of the pack at marathons is full of people who thought they could go from 5k to 26 miles with 6 weeks training, having a completely miserable race.
  • Options

Better still, go and do an Ironman, there'll be no more comments about a marathon being easy! After swimming 3.8km and cycling 180km,  trying to run 42.2km - easy it ain't!

• Options
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
    Bionic Ironwolf wrote (see)

Better still, go and do an Ironman, there'll be no more comments about a marathon being easy! After swimming 3.8km and cycling 180km,  trying to run 42.2km - easy it ain't!

I dont have the testicular fortitude to do a full ironman,maybe I could be tagged in after the bike leg.

Wuss.... Even the girlie girls round here race IM

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

I dont have the testicular fortitude to do a full ironman,maybe I could be tagged in after the bike leg.

Wuss.... Even the girlie girls round here race IM

only the ones with testicular fortitude.

• Options

It's a bit of a cheat in that suit though.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gJx9aPmI9Zo/T_n0RwEcUzI/AAAAAAAAACY/cUM35t75XDY/s1600/Iron_Man-7.jpg

• Options

Yeah, maybe when my marathons start getting slower.  image

• Options

And you learn how to swim...

• Options

I can swim!!  I just like to have a rest every 25 metres or so.  image

• Options

Im amazed at how few people can swim in this country, in Australia we weren't allowed to get through school without being able to swim properly. It was almost the equivalent of doing geography or math.

Did you have to use performance enhancing drugs to do well at geography and math too?

• Options

I'm British, can't resist a good Australia bash image

• Options
    XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    DF3 -- I hope your geography and math are better than your swimming.