Reading Half Marathon 2013

Comments

• 4th Reading for me - gradually chipping away at the time 2h33 2h08 and 2h03... Ever hopefull that I will break 2 hours before im 50 (3 years to go!). 

Im a Reading girl and really look forward to this race.

• I'm liking the beer talk. If I'm as unfit as I feel now then I'll be stopping for 1 or 2!

Joking aside, for those that have done it before, where is a good sopt for a spectator and how easy is it to find people in the stadium after the finish?

• A good spot for spectators is the Tilehurst Road Castle Street Junction as they can see you at around mile 8 and then again at 10.5 by just walking 100 meters up the road-it is also very easy to find people at the end as the stadium is easy to navigate with block numbers etc and only two sides are open so nice and simple. Baggage can be a little hectic depending on your finish time so if you have the option leave it with your family/friends.

• 3rd time at Reading.

Done my PB here in 2010 and may have beat it last year but for a horrible bout of chicken pox which struck 10 days before the race. Not sure I am in such good shape but will  be sticking to the 1hr40 pacemaker like glue for as long as possible.

Oh and for first timers the roar as you enter the Madjeski is fantastic - really feels like an end to a Major Championship Marathon

• Paul Chandler 4 wrote (see)

A good spot for spectators is the Tilehurst Road Castle Street Junction as they can see you at around mile 8 and then again at 10.5 by just walking 100 meters up the road-it is also very easy to find people at the end as the stadium is easy to navigate with block numbers etc and only two sides are open so nice and simple. Baggage can be a little hectic depending on your finish time so if you have the option leave it with your family/friends.

Thanks Paul!

• I'm in.  This will be the first time I've run Reading and I haven't run a half in a while.  Aiming for sub 1:50 ideally, but think I need to use the next 5 weeks to work on my speed.  No beer for me if I want any chance of achieving this time.  I'm getting really excited about this one as the stadium finish sounds amazing.  

Has anyone who's done this before used the pace makers and did it help you?

Hope the training is going well for you all.

Ruth 

• Hi RuthMac. Yes I've used the Pacemakers. Last year I decided to start with the 2:05 pace group and see if I could catch up with the 2:00 pace group, which I did about half way round and ended up with the 1:55ers in my sights.

As with all these big events with pacers you do get this cork in a bottle effect with pace makers and sometimes they can be so driven by making their time that they weave and dodge quite a bit (that was the case for me at Royal Parks Half where the pacer I was following sped up and slowed down and zig-zagged all over the place). You won't miss them, they're carrying big sticks I think.

========

I have the fear a bit for this one. Been managing bad knees by reducing running to twice a week. They'll be no PB for me.
  • Thanks for that...I'll try not to get obsessed about following them then and run my own race, but will be happy if I see the 1:50 pace maker on my travels.  

Sorry that bad knees have reduced your training...hopefully you'll be able to just enjoy the run anyway.  Still it's pretty good to be getting out at all with bad knees so I would could that as a bonus image.

• Well start training tomorrow with a four week heavy set, Due to several colds and a bit of flu in for good measure has stopped me. As this is the start of my Ironman training I have to do it. Looking for just a fininsh this year.
  • We are in for the Reading Half, I only started running May last year and have really enjoyed it! I would like to finish in the 2hr mark if possible...what does everyone train to? Saturday we ran 12k and upping every week, will this get me through- any advice greatly appreciated as it will be my first half!

Emily

• Just started training for this myself so thought I'd sign up to this forum to see how far behind I am.  I ran 15k on the flat last week (slowly) and did 10k on Saturday on hills. So far so good I think!

• @Si james...wow you are doing well...we have only managed 12k so far....over the week we do well over 20k! Just need to do it in one go...
  • I'm following the classic 10 week schedule that RW do and that's got me doing some 10M runs so far and will have me doing a 12 miler this weekend which I'm not looking forward to.  Emmy5 - I would try and get in a 10+ miler soon so that you're not trying the distance just before the race.  It might make you feel better about getting around too image

Well done on all the training though...this one is meant to be flat so that's a bonus!!! 

• Thanks Ruth...think i will attempt the 10 mile this weekend...getting a little nervous now...how many 10 miles have you done? Everywhere near home is hilly so i will be happy if it is reasonably flat
  • Oooh what is it? I am on my phone so cant work it out!

Emily
  • Oooh wow that makes me feel a lot better...

Not sure i will be saying that at the time hehe!
  • I wouldn't exactly class it as a hill. Its a gentle incline which will help to get your heart ticking. Its quite a decent flat course - the main problem people find is the last couple of miles enjoying the A33 - bit dull and you pass the finish to draw things out. 

• Dear Reading and Fleet half marathons.  Next year could you please talk to each other and agree not to clash?  Thank you.

• That hill on Whitley Wood Lane gets steeper each year!!

• Whitley Wood Lane is flat compared to the Basingstoke route (excellent event, though).

• I received my race pack today.

Blue Zone again image

• Johnny again wrote (see)

Whitley Wood Lane is flat compared to the Basingstoke route (excellent event, though).

I've not done that event before Johnny - it's on my list for October though.

• Mine came through last week DF3. I guess I am in a faster zone.