The Road to Paris - On a Plateau - Asics Target 26.2 Training

Comments

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ady - I forgot to say, those pictures are brilliant. I never get a decent race photo. I always look like I'm in agony but at the same time l look completely motionless. 

Mrs Shady says you look like a Turtle in one of them? Can't see it myself.

/members/images/448713/Gallery/adyturtle.jpg

• Day 64 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (18/02/13)

Target: REST/CT or 4 MILE JOG (CAN SWAP MON/WED, AS YOU FEEL)

Actual: Rest

After yesterdays cross-training and Saturdays half-marathon, I didn't want to risk aggravating my knee at all, so decided rest would be the best policy. I was hoping to do some stretching in the evening but had to pull another 12 hour shift. By the time I got home and eaten, there was no time left in the day to do much of this.

With my knee feeling much better, I'm still going to wait until tomorrow to see if I feel good enough to run!

• Malcs wrote (see)

Ady - I forgot to say, those pictures are brilliant. I never get a decent race photo. I always look like I'm in agony but at the same time l look completely motionless. 

Mrs Shady says you look like a Turtle in one of them? Can't see it myself.

/members/images/448713/Gallery/adyturtle.jpg

Malcs......You are blessed with a talent there! I have to say the above picture is pure genius. I haven't laughed so much in a long, long time. I showed it to Mrs. Shady Ady and she's still chuckling away......and I showed it to her 10 minutes ago!

The worst thing is, that I didn't even have to tell you what photo I was talking about......it was just so blatantly obvious!

I'm actually a little scared now. If you can russle up something like that so easily, I'd hate to think what else you could come up with. In future I might be more careful with my words and liking myself to other animals or characters in the future. image

• Day 65 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (19/02/13)

Target: 2 MILES EASY then 3 x acceleration strides then 6 x 800M (or 3 mins) at 6.10-6.40 pace with 3 min jogs in between each. 1 MILE EASY (8 MILES) 

Actual: 2 miles comfortable then 4 x acceleration strides, then 6 x 1/2 mile reps @ 6:10-6:40m/m with 3 min jogs in between each. I mile comfortable c/down (7.12 miles)

Total: 7.12 miles in 1:05:15 @ 9:10m/m (The overall pace is slower due to walking between intervals instead of the usual jogging).

1/2 mile reps: 1st @ 6:22m/m. 2nd @ 6:19m/m. 3rd @ 6:27m/m. 4th @ 6:33m/m. 5th @ 6:36m/m. 6th @ 6:39m/m

Today could be classed as possibly the worst training run of my Paris journey so far. I lost a perfectly good shirt out of it! There were also glimmers of hope as well.

I set off on the 2 mile w/up and felt really good. The sun was beating down. It felt warm. Best of all though, I was having no pain or discomfort from my knee at all. I warmed up well, did my acceleration strides and then went into my intervals.

The first interval I went off and it felt like I was comfortably keeping my guideline pace. My right thigh was feeling a little tight towards the top. With my knee giving me some trouble recently as well, I thought there were no benefits at all pushing myself today, so quickly after pushing myself harder than I ever have at the half marathon. Therefore I made sure to keep inside the pacing guidelines.

My legs felt a little like jelly as well today, so towards the end of the 6  half mile interval reps I slowed down the pace and just did enough to fall inside the pace I needed to. I made sure only to do the 1 mile c/down as well and as there was still half a mile left to get back to the office, I took the time to walk, jog and stretch my legs.

It started to go a little pear shaped when I got back to the office. My right thigh still felt tight. My left knee was still giving me no pain at all. It was my nipples that were causing the most discomfort. I didn't think anything about this really when I took my black shirt off and had a shower. It was only after I got dressed, put my work shirt on that I realised how bad my jogger's nipple injury actually was. Serves me right for not wearing plasters!

I had a meeting with the client just after lunch, so just before this, I went to the toilet to admire myself in the mirror and make sure there were no remnants of food stuck in my teeth. There wasn't. Instead there was a nice patch of light-reddish blood soaked on to my shirt right where my right nipple was located. It was quite obvious.

The thought of being known from then onwards as 'Old Bleedy Nipple', 'The Lactator' or 'Nipple Spillage' filled me with dread. I was left with only one option.......cover up the monstrosity on my shirt with my blue pen and pretend my pen leaked in my top pocket (what person carries a pen around in their top pocket anyway!). This was my plan of action.........it worked......it covered up the blood, but I'll probably be a shirt down as that stain isn't going to come out in an economical wash!

Glad to be back running though!

Here's my run from today. Although 8 miles was the training session, I did everything as planned but only ran just over 7 miles.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/275372719

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Hi Ady, How's the knee doing? Physio Sarah reckons you might have a bit of inflammation behind the knee cap and recommends seeing a physio if you can this week, rather than waiting till training day. And regular icing. 

Any sign of twinge or pain/hotness behind knee during run, please stop straight away. I'm sure it'll be OK but just not taking any chances....

Hey Sam........The knee is feeling much better now thanks. I ran today and it was okay.  If I get any pain then I promise to stop straight away. I've been icing regularly and will try and arrange an appointment with the physio this week. I won't have time until Friday though, but will call tomorrow and see when I can get in. 

I won't risk anything if I'm not feeling 100%. 

I'm really hoping come next week, these little niggles will all be in the past! I'll keep you updated image

• phew, finally caught up....so many posts and cracking photos.

A huge congratulations on a fabulous race and a new PB, you certainly deserved it.

Loving the new photos especially how smiley you are at the start and then at the end how much effort your putting in, the photos def prove that you deserved it.

Malcs I love running on jelly babies...you dont even have to eat/chew them...they just disolve in your mouth. I read in a medical text book that they are better for diabetics with hypoglycaemia than glucose tablets.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Hey Old Bleedy Nipple image  Great story! Loved that the cover up worked.

Sorry about the turtle but it was just too good to resist. I'm glad it provided Mrs Shady with some amusement - possibly too much by the sounds of things! 

I think you should incorporate more animal impressions into your race photos so please don't hold back in the future. You can get your own back after the Spitfire image

I see you're down for 20 miles this weekend so that'll be two 20 milers on the trot then? I'm quite a few weeks behind you so I'm not sure it's a good idea for me to mirror that though it is tempting.

Hope the little niggles ease off. I find this time in the training the worst for picking up little problems. Take it easy.

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Hi Ady, How's the knee doing? Physio Sarah reckons you might have a bit of inflammation behind the knee cap and recommends seeing a physio if you can this week, rather than waiting till training day. And regular icing. 

Any sign of twinge or pain/hotness behind knee during run, please stop straight away. I'm sure it'll be OK but just not taking any chances....

Hi Sam/ Sarah...........My knee is feeling much better today, even after yesterday's intervals but there is still some small aching when I climb stairs. When walking normally I'm having no problem.

Unfortunately just as one injury clears up, another one comes along. I think I mistook yesterday's 'tight' thigh for a muscle strain. It's on my right thigh at the top just slightly right of centre. When I woke up in the night, it was quite a sharp pain in this area. This morning it's more of a bruising sensation. I practised a few running steps this morning in my living room and it felt extremely tight indeed.

I'm not going to run today and I'm going to move Saturday's rest day to tomorrow as well. I am booked in for the physio for Friday afternoon and I'm contemplating resting until I've had this appointment. Like it has always been said in the past, rest could just be what I need now.

Sam/ Sarah, is this ok with you? I'd rather rest now and be sure there's nothing serious and get back to running at the weekend with nothing on my mind and a clean bill of health, even if this means missing 2 runs this week (possibly).

As I'm going to rest, I was wondering what are your thoughts about the 20 miler on Sunday? At the moment I don't see any reason why I wouldn't be capable of doing this?

It's amazing how a few niggles can affect you mentally! 

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Tuesday 19th February 2013

Due to work commitments and meetings, I struggled with getting all my snacks in today.

6:50am - Breakfast - Fruit and Fibre Cereal w/ Semi-Skimmed milk.

9:00am - Cup of tea, bottle of water

11:00am - Bottle of water, banana

1:20pm - Lunch - Bulgar wheat with a small amount of mince and sour cream (lefotver from Taco dinner the previous evening) for flavour, with cucumber and radish. Bottle of water.

3:00pm - Cup of tea, bottle of water, Clementine

5:30pm - Cup of tea

7:45pm - Dinner - Beans on Toast with 2 eggs. Pint of squash

8:30pm - Pint of squash, Muller Greek Style Fat-Free yoghurt.

10:15pm - Glass of water

• Day 66 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (20/02/13)

Target: REST/CT or 4 MILE JOG

Actual: 30 minutes of upper body strength - sit ups, pull-ups, push-ups and core strength - planks and bridge moves..............NO RUNNING! (I'm currently experiencing the most dreaded word in the running dictionary - an injury).

After the jubilation of Saturdays Half Marathon, I'm now heading straight to the doldrums, straight down into a deep trough following an almighty high. I can't believe it. You never think it's going to happen to you. But it has. I have an injury. It must be real as it's stopped me from running today and made me arrange a physio appointment for the first time in my life.

I think on yesterday's run the tight thigh was a little worse than I had originally thought. Maybe it was the adrenaline that helped mask the pain. I thought I was running well within myself. I didn't really feel much bother yesterday after the run. I mean, it felt stiff, but nothing worse than your biceps would after a hard workout.

It was only in the middle of the night when I jumped out of bed to use the toilet that a sharp pain in my thigh had me thinking otherwise. Luckily the sharp pain was gone when I woke up this morning but had been replaced with a delicate, bruise like sensation as though I'd received a knee drop to the thigh and was now suffering from a dead leg.

Today was only supposed to be a 4 mile jog, so I thought it best to rest as there was no way I'd have been able to run without feeling some discomfort. It's just very annoying that my knee seems to have stopped giving me any discomfort and then another injury comes along. Maybe without realising I was over compensating for my knee? Very frustrating indeed.

Due to work commitments tomorrow at lunch time and work commitments late into the evening, I wouldn't have had time to run tomorrow anyway, so I'm hoping this two days of rest from running will do me the world of good. I have a physio appointment booked for Friday afternoon, so at present I'm thinking it might even be worth waiting until after this until running again.

Put me on the starting line of a 100 mile race and I'd be confident I'd finish it. Tell me I need to rest and I crumble and feel like throwing a tantrum a five year old would be proud of. There will be plenty of icing, stretching, resting going on the next day or so. I'm going to still do cross-training where possible to keep some form of exercise in my daily routine. 

• Paulo83 wrote (see)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/274318953

Iv changed the privacy settings now so that should give you enough privileges now! I hope you feel privileged! I'm not able to cross train at the moment but hopefully be able to get on the bike at the weekend! Definitely won't be doing my 20 mile run though! There's been plenty of RICE going on at home, but these 12 hour night shifts standing on your feet make that a bit harder.

Having seen your event photos it reminded me to check mine out. I always thought I probably looked quite cool and comfortable.....I was very wrong! I like to think that the look of pain was just caused by my calf though and is not my normal look!

Keep up the good work, your well on track for Paris image

Hey Paulo.......I still can't get your link to work......maybe I was never destined to see how easily you went faster than me, even with nursing an injury.

I think you may have cursed me as well............as now I'm on the injury table alongside you. I'm hoping only a couple of days rest will see me right again. I'm just forcing myself not to rush back too quickly. I took my running kit into work today to run at lunch, but I'm so glad I saw sense and gave myself a day of running rest instead.

I'm hoping I can still do my 20 miler on Sunday, even if it means taking it slower than I had originally planned. I'm interested to see what the physio says on Friday as well. I hope the RICE is helping with your injury.

• Ksizzlepod wrote (see)

Hi Ady

Well its all for research as I am writing my own training plan, brave I know, but i wanted it to build up a bit more slowly than some of the 16 week plans, so I have designed it for 20 weeks!

I am doing the bournemouth marathon, I have just seen the route they have released and it is mainly along the sea front which I am really looking forward to. 

I have done 4 half marathons so far, all with very little proper training, so this time for the big one I have made a great commitment to a proper training plan with lots of mixed sessions. I already LOVE running, again not sure what it is, clearing my head and getting fresh air and the way it makes me feel after I have completed a long run and more than anything I love running in the rain, crazy haha. 

Your diet seems to be going great and the weight loss you have managed so far is great, keep it up and you should meet your target by Paris im sure!

Hi Ksizzlepod.............I think it's a very sensible option writing your own training program. When I went on the sub 3:30 forum page, it seemed that's what a lot of members also did.....they'd taken a training plan and adapted over time as they improved and knew what their limits and potential were.

I think one of the interesting things about my training plan is that my pacing targets have been altered after every 4 weeks depending on how well I've done. This has given me extra incentives to improve with each run and put 100% effort in as well.

I have never looked at doing the Bournemouth Marathon, but as I only live a short train ride away, I might be interested to do this as my autumn marathon if there are places still left. I don't think my wife will allow me to enter another marathon just yet though!

It sounds a very sensible thing to extend your training plan to 20 weeks. It will alllow you more peace of mind with having another 4 weeks to work up the mileage and maybe get one extra long run in to your training.

All the best for the Bournemouth Marathon......and if like me you are unlucky to have a niggle or two, rest might be the hardest thing to do, but it's the only thing you should do!

• RunnyRunRun wrote (see)

Hi Ady!

Wanted to nip on and say well done on your fab PB!! It was such a good day and nice to have a catch up with everyone and meet Mrs Ady and Jack! Loving the race photos by the way! image

Hey Sarah.......Thanks very much. Congratulations to you as well. You did amazingly well and it must have been great to get a PB even though you took the first three miles much easier than you would normally have ran. 

Looking forward to catching up at training day in a weeks time. image

• sarah osborne wrote (see)
    phew, finally caught up....so many posts and cracking photos.

A huge congratulations on a fabulous race and a new PB, you certainly deserved it.

Loving the new photos especially how smiley you are at the start and then at the end how much effort your putting in, the photos def prove that you deserved it.

Malcs I love running on jelly babies...you dont even have to eat/chew them...they just disolve in your mouth. I read in a medical text book that they are better for diabetics with hypoglycaemia than glucose tablets.

Hey Sarah...........A very well done on your half PB as well. You must be thrilled. Did you get much chance to take in the sights and sounds of Barcelona running at that speed? image Did you have a nice time over there other than the running?

I've never let a jelly babie dissolve in my mouth before........I don't think I'd have the patience to wait for that to happen anyway. Once upton a time they were part of my race day breakfast preperations on race day - I'd put some on top of my porridge. They'd turn to liquid in no time leaving jelly baby flavoured porridge. It tasted good at the time, but I don't think it will be something I'll adopt for breakfast every day of the week!

• Malcs wrote (see)

Hey Old Bleedy Nipple image  Great story! Loved that the cover up worked.

Sorry about the turtle but it was just too good to resist. I'm glad it provided Mrs Shady with some amusement - possibly too much by the sounds of things! 

I think you should incorporate more animal impressions into your race photos so please don't hold back in the future. You can get your own back after the Spitfire image

I see you're down for 20 miles this weekend so that'll be two 20 milers on the trot then? I'm quite a few weeks behind you so I'm not sure it's a good idea for me to mirror that though it is tempting.

Hope the little niggles ease off. I find this time in the training the worst for picking up little problems. Take it easy.

Hey Malcs.......I think I just lined up the turtle photo opportunity and you batted it out of the park. Well done sir!

I am indeed down for 20 this weekend, but it's amazing how a niggle and a missed run can affect your confidence. Now I'm doubting I can even run that far. After last Saturday's half, I was confident I could have broken 3:30 if I'd carried on for the full marathon distance. It just goes to show how much of running a marathon is mental strength, not just physical strength. 

I'm hoping I'll be given the all clear by the physio on Friday and I can do it no problem......even if I run at MR+60 instead of MR+30 like I normally do. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with you at Spitfire without a problem. What do you have planned for this coming weekend?

• Ady,

Well done on pb at weekend- great result. You should feel pretty confident, despite what you are saying about the niggle. I don't doubt you will be able to do 20 at the weekend...Also sure you will be on for sub 3:30- you're half time is a minute quicker than mine, and I managed it so good karma!

I'm trying to get back into things after a slack month as work taken over, but got newjob and entered a 10k for this weekend so looking forward to a race for the first time in ages

• Clive Kelty wrote (see)

Ady,

Well done on pb at weekend- great result. You should feel pretty confident, despite what you are saying about the niggle. I don't doubt you will be able to do 20 at the weekend...Also sure you will be on for sub 3:30- you're half time is a minute quicker than mine, and I managed it so good karma!

I'm trying to get back into things after a slack month as work taken over, but got newjob and entered a 10k for this weekend so looking forward to a race for the first time in ages

Just when I was teetering on the edge of that great pit of despair, a few nice words grapple me back from the edge. Thanks very much for that Clive. Thanks very much for your confidence! It's very much appreciated!

When training for a marathon you always want everyhting to go perfectly. It rarely does. In fact, I think out of the 19 I've ran, I can only remember 3 where I've gone through the whole training injury free. Two of those were injury free because I didn't train enough in the first place! You just have to man up, breathe it in, listen to your body and cross train as best as you can until you can start running again. It's hard not to get negative though when you look outside and see the pavement where you should be running!

Congratulations on your new job and good luck for your 10k. Are you going for a time, or just to get a race under your belt and enjoying the race environment again?

• evening Ady, sorry to hear about your injury. I just hope that it recovers soon and your back up running by the weekend. It sounds like your doing all the right things.

We managed to do loads of sight seeing in Barca, we spent about 7 hours on our feet on the saturday and almost 5 hours on the sunday (after the race) exploring the city. We made it to everything except neu camp. I went to see a match there last year followed by a tour of the ground the following day so I didnt mind but I think chris was a little disappointed. I did tell him to go with my dad whilst I was doing the race but he said that he wanted to watch me (I think he was more scared of getting lost). He said he wants to go back to watch a match there.

Jelly babies in porridge.....its something ive not tried or even considered trying, im willing to give it a go though but I might have to wait until I wake up with a strong stomach!
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Ady - I know exactly how you feel. Niggles are just the worst thing. You are dong everything right though as the others have said.

Drops in confidence are understandable but it is completely a mental thing though - deep down you know that. Trust in the training.

I'm sure you'll manage your 20 too. If not, if the physio says rest then you'll have loads of time to get things on track for Spitfire.

If the worst comes to the worst and you do have to rest up a few days the you'll have plenty of time to work on your animal impressionsimage
  • Shady- Ady

The deal about the cooked breakfast on the 8th April has my full supportimage As long as you.... keep up the good dietary work between now and then! Something I noticed about one of your food diary just now is the fact you had one lindor chocolate - I think this shows real discipline and that little piece of information shows me that you are really moving forward with things - before I wonder if you would have stopped at one?

Carb loading, yes make sure you reduce /take out meat, fish, bulky fruit and veg that will fill you up

pen leakage - brilliant!

Malcs - every forum needs a malc!

• Shady- Ady

Over the coming few weeks the focus will be on Paris and the food challenges that may bring. The first challenge is the restaurant choice for the Friday & Saturday night. If you were going on a leisurely holiday I would suggest different a restaurant each night and of course to try the local food BUT you are here to do a marathon! So I am looking to seek everyone’s honest opinion on restaurant type. My thoughts are Italian as Parisian meals are not typically carb heavy, more meat based. Last year I picked out some Italian places to eat and then sent links to you all so that you could at least know what was available and if this would be suitable for everyone, so the plan was to do something similar. I am also thinking of RRR who does not eat gluten or wheat (we had a similar issue last year but there was other choices at the Italian we ended up choosing) so I would suggest we look for something that may be Italian but some non- pasta /pizza options? 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ruth - many thanks, I am blushing like a belisha beacon now image  

I think Asics/RW should liven things up next year and select a runner and a stalker for each category. Kind of like in the film Sky High - where the kids with super powers are separated into Heroes and Sidekicks image.

Ady - how's the thigh today? Is the knee fine now? I missed your question about the weekend. I was planning a 16-18 miler. I am still tempted by 20 so we'll see if I can resist that. I really hope you get the all clear tomorrow to do the same but if you don't then it's no big loss - use next week to get the leg sorted and you'll be fine for Spitfire.

Sarah - do you use gels as well or just the JBs? After Ruth's endorsement the other day I am thinking of using pure JBs for April. You can't beat getting the backing of a pro nutritionalisationist!

• lol, i love it Ruth although im in complete agreement...Malcs keeps us smiling and entertained.

So far Malcs ive just been using the odd jelly baby but im aiming to use shot blocks and jelly babies on marathon day. Im going to start using the shot blocks from this weekend (been putting it off though as they just dont taste as good as the babies)! Jelly babies are great for the carbs but I dont think they have any of the salts that may need replacing, thats why I was going to use both...I could be wrong though....RUTH what do you think?
  • Sorry that iv cursed you! Maybe we should do it as a 3 legged race like at school sports days. Maybe that way we can both avoid using our injured limbs! I'm not normally superstitious but I was wearing number 1313 on Sunday when I damaged my leg. I joked about it before hand. I won't be doing that again!

Hope your aches and pains are clearing up and your physio can aid a speedy recovery.
  • Ruth can I ask a quick question...just packing my bag for sheffield and my shot blocks from last year and noticed that the sell by/use by date (not sure which one it is) says may and the other one June 2012....how likely are they to cause problems if I took them in feb 2013....do you think they would be fine to use or is it not worth the risk?

Thankyou
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Can I throw a question at you too Ruth? I've just watched your Target 26.2 videos on fuelling and hydration - very interesting stuff.

On the hydration one you mentioned that unless the conditions are very hot you shouldn't need Nuun or other electrolyte tabs. You also say that you know if you're a high sweater if you lick your hand and taste salt. On all my marathons I have felt like the sweat was pouring out of me and that was in warm not hot weather. I didn't need to lick my hand to know there was salt there - I could feel the damn stuff! I had patches of white on my face and body. 

I assume this means that I must lose alot of salt - more than the average joe? I've suffered nausea, cramps and spasms on almost all my marathons. The one where it was least bad I used about 2-3 Nuun tabs. Each one has 360mg of Sodium so for 3 tabs that's over 1g of salt. Does it make sense that I should have to take that amount? Should I take less or more? I know you said before that cramps are not likely to be down to hydration but given what I just said about salt loss, does it seem more likely?

My biggest worry going into my next race is whether I'll end it with a sick bag image

Ady - what's the news from the physio today? Fingers crossed it's all good. 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I've just watched a few more of the videos - very enlightening!

For example I've just learned from Physio Sarah, on her hip flexor stretch vid, that (and I quote) "the kitchen table, if it's nice and sturdy, is a good place to do it".

I knew you were getting the complete treatment Ady but I didn't expect them to provide marital advice too. Is Mrs Shady aware of this? image

By the way, as a result of this exporation of the vids I just discovered your training day video - fantastic stuff! Once again you all come across as pros - I hate you all image

• Malcs wrote (see)

Ady - what's the news from the physio today? Fingers crossed it's all good. 

Evening all. I should manage to catch up with all posts tonight or tomorrow after my day of silence yesterday (thanks to a go-karting team building exercise!).

Malcs.......it was quite possibly the best £49 I've ever paid going to the physio today. Not just for the treatment, but more for the peace of mind and reassurance. It's so easy to brush things under the carpet and try and ignore them and then allowing for the worst case scenario thoughts to take over.

I'll write more later, but I have the most common 'runners knee' ailment. I've been given some exercises to do to help address this and I've also bought stability trainers today. I never had any knee issues before when I've worn stability trainers and I hope now I've reverted back to using these, it will continue.

I strained my quad as well earlier in the week (apparently not my hip flexor like I originally thought). This seems to be healing up very nicely abd best of all the physio said there should be no reason why I can't continue running  now. 

As I'm still 'recovering', I don't think it would be too beneficial to go out tomorrow and try and break the 20 minute 5km barrier, but I was told there would be no harm taking it easy and still getting the mileage in.

Therefore I'm planning on going out tomorrow and doing an easy jog to see how I get on and if there are no issues with my leg at all, then I am still planning on doing my 20 miler on Sunday (if that's ok with Sam). I probably wont try and push myself too hard, but I'd like to use this more as a run to get my first 20 miler under my belt and not worry at all about time. I'd see this more of 'time on my feet'. I can always try my progressive run at the Spitfire 20 next weekend.

The good feeling mood is back!image

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Wednesday 20th February 2013

9:00am - Cup of tea, bottle of water

11:00am - Bottle of water, banana

12:00pm - Lunch - Bulgar wheat with a small amount of mince and sour cream (leftover from Taco dinner) for flavour, with cucumber and radish. Bottle of water.

3:00pm - Cup of tea, bottle of water, Clementine

5:30pm - Cup of tea

7:45pm - Dinner - Chilli with Rice and a few Tortilla chips sprinkled on top

8:30pm - Pint of squash, Muller Greek Style Fat-Free yoghurt and one Lindt Lindor chocolate.

10:15pm - Glass of water

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Thursday 21st February 2013

Not the best diet today, but I can blame this on my go-karting team building evening, which might have also involved a few drops of alcohol too!

8:15am - Cup of tea, bottle of water

11:00am - Bottle of water, cup of tea and doughnut (As I work for an American company we were celebrating Texas Day today. Alongside being expected to dress like Woody form Toy Story, obligatory doughnut eating was also encouraged!).

12:30pm - Lunch - Moroccan couscous with chicken and salad, cherry fat-free yoghurt, bottle of water

2:00pm - Cup of tea, bottle of water, Clementine

3:00pm - Banana

6:00pm - Dinner - Finger buffet with work - sandwiches and pizza (I didn't eat that much actually considering it was all free!), bottle of Diet Coke, cup of hot chocolate

8:00pm - 12:00am -  3 pints of Wainwright Ale and a shot of Maker's Mark. A friend's birthday and with no work the following day, I thought this was quite impressive restraint over 4 hours!

1:15am - Pint of water