Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Well I ran today after 11 days off. Decided the foot felt the same now as it did when I decided to break so I'd just try it. Did 7 mike gave it a good blast on a track. Funny thing is felt fine whilst running but sore again now. Maybe it's something il have to put up with if it not going to actually affect my run, have to wait & see how it goes. Gait analysis 2mo, allways thought I was neutral, will find out
  •  

I nearly did Wilmslow but opted for a brisk seaside run instead.  I'll probably regret that when i'm being blown sideways down the seafrontimage

I'm following Pfitzinger and Douglas up to 55mpw plan.  Seems to be serving me well although i'm having to swap next week for this one because of the HM but that shouldn't screw things up too much I wouldn't think.

How about you?

My plan is the Intermediate Marathon plan as per the Manchester website although I've extended some of LSR distances as I was starting the plan from a higher point than it envisaged

Seems to be going well but the prority is to get round and if I get a "good" time in my first marathon then even better

Struggled with the 16 miler this morning, not sure whether it was down to going to the match last night and therefore eating tea earlier than usual, getting in late and then getting up at the crack of dawn to run or whether it may have been down to the cold.

Felt "leggy" from the outset, particuarly thigh-wise but got round and was around 5 mins slower than last week overall. The last 2 miles were great though as it was full daylight and the sun was out, spring is coming (slowly)

Just keep telling myself how far I've come (excuse the pun) and 2-3 shorter runs for the rest of the week before taking on an 18 miler next week

• Hi guys,

Ran this last year and won't bother going over old ground with the problems last year as i'm sure they won't be repeated this time arround.

I'm in training for an Ultra in June and was considering running this again as part of my training....... However, i've just looked at the entry fee!!!!

£49.50? Really???? And then add on another £2.48 service fee?????

At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask.

Really fancy doing this again but don't know if i can justify the entry fee.

• gramck24 wrote (see)

Hi guys,

Ran this last year and won't bother going over old ground with the problems last year as i'm sure they won't be repeated this time arround.

I'm in training for an Ultra in June and was considering running this again as part of my training....... However, i've just looked at the entry fee!!!!

£49.50? Really???? And then add on another £2.48 service fee?????

At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask.

Really fancy doing this again but don't know if i can justify the entry fee.

I think I paid £24 to run the Tatton Half last November and £32 for this year's Wilmslow half, so I guess per mile £50 is comparable

There were a couple of discount codes knocking about, not sure whether they are still relevant and entry for the GMM closes on 28th February at the last update

• Anyone heard how numbers are going for the GMM this year?
  • I think one of the discount codes was "Facebook5"....

• Rob, have you had your foot checked out by your Physio? I ignored mine last year and just put up with it and as a result have been unable to run properly for the last 6 months.

These things sometimes clear by themselves but it's worth getting someone to look at it. It's no fun being on the bench!
  • No, not had great expierince with them. Had gait analysed today, the trainers I've got are right for me so il try em again tomorrow. Apprehensive as this all started bout time I changed them, could be coincidence, hopefully
  • rockinrocky_robin wrote (see)

I nearly did Wilmslow but opted for a brisk seaside run instead.  I'll probably regret that when i'm being blown sideways down the seafrontimage

I'm following Pfitzinger and Douglas up to 55mpw plan.  Seems to be serving me well although i'm having to swap next week for this one because of the HM but that shouldn't screw things up too much I wouldn't think.

How about you?

My plan is the Intermediate Marathon plan as per the Manchester website although I've extended some of LSR distances as I was starting the plan from a higher point than it envisaged

Seems to be going well but the prority is to get round and if I get a "good" time in my first marathon then even better

Struggled with the 16 miler this morning, not sure whether it was down to going to the match last night and therefore eating tea earlier than usual, getting in late and then getting up at the crack of dawn to run or whether it may have been down to the cold.

Felt "leggy" from the outset, particuarly thigh-wise but got round and was around 5 mins slower than last week overall. The last 2 miles were great though as it was full daylight and the sun was out, spring is coming (slowly)

Just keep telling myself how far I've come (excuse the pun) and 2-3 shorter runs for the rest of the week before taking on an 18 miler next week

16 miles for a weekday morning run is crazy.  I have a 14 miler tomorrow and I must admit, it's a little long for my tastes before work.  I normally look forward to my runs but i'm not really looking forward to this one.  It's more a run that I must endure than it is one i'll revel in.  Too much traffic on workday mornings to make long runs enjoyable.  Thankfully, that's as long as my training schedule asks for me to run in the week and I only hit 14 miles the once.  There are one or two 13 and 12 milers and some 9 and 10's.  I can cope with them.

Keep it up, race will be upon us before we know it image

• Strangely Brown wrote (see)
    16 miles for a weekday morning run is crazy.  I have a 14 miler tomorrow and I must admit, it's a little long for my tastes before work.  I normally look forward to my runs but i'm not really looking forward to this one.  It's more a run that I must endure than it is one i'll revel in.  Too much traffic on workday mornings to make long runs enjoyable.  Thankfully, that's as long as my training schedule asks for me to run in the week and I only hit 14 miles the once.  There are one or two 13 and 12 milers and some 9 and 10's.  I can cope with them.

I tend to go out at around 5.45-6am on weekday mornings so that I can get back in time for Mrs RR to go to work (my 2 other weekly runs and Saturday run are around 7-8 miles each) and I take the kids to school.My Saturday "wind down" run gives me a lie in and I go out around 7.30 and look forward to a Saturday night and a few drinks knowing Sunday is a day off.

For the last couple of LSR I've been going out around 4.45 and taking 2:25 to do 16 miles so anything further than that isn't going to happen in the morning. Half Days off work coming up plus we have the half term and Easter school holidays where I'll be off for a day here and there anyway

The plus side of going out early is that it's quiet traffic wise and great as we head toward spring, there's something quite uplifting about pounding down the canal tow path as the sun is coming up and there's no one else around

I did go out for a run last Friday during the school run and like you say, it was mad traffic and pedestrian wise and I felt quite stressed when I got back

Looking forward to "enjoying" a LSR next week where I'm under no pressure to get back for a certain time

Strangely Brown wrote (see)

I tend to go out at around 5.45-6am on weekday mornings so that I can get back in time for Mrs RR to go to work (my 2 other weekly runs and Saturday run are around 7-8 miles each) and I take the kids to school.My Saturday "wind down" run gives me a lie in and I go out around 7.30 and look forward to a Saturday night and a few drinks knowing Sunday is a day off.

For the last couple of LSR I've been going out around 4.45 and taking 2:25 to do 16 miles so anything further than that isn't going to happen in the morning. Half Days off work coming up plus we have the half term and Easter school holidays where I'll be off for a day here and there anyway

The plus side of going out early is that it's quiet traffic wise and great as we head toward spring, there's something quite uplifting about pounding down the canal tow path as the sun is coming up and there's no one else around

I did go out for a run last Friday during the school run and like you say, it was mad traffic and pedestrian wise and I felt quite stressed when I got back

Looking forward to "enjoying" a LSR next week where I'm under no pressure to get back for a certain time

That's exactly why I enjoy my Sunday LSR.  It might not be some people's idea of a relaxing Sunday morning but I find it really chilling and almost theraputic.

Tomorrow, in contrast, will start nice enough about 6.15am and then by the time I return at 8.15 the roads will be rammed and there will be people and traffic everywhere.  It's amazing the change in those 2 short hours as the country wakes up and gets going for the day.

I've never run before 6.00am before but i'm going to give it a try in the summer.  I fancy a 5.00am run on a warm, sunny morning in June/July when it's perfectly light and mild but nobody around.  That sounds awesome if you ask me image

• 14 mile GA run done this morning.  At least I got the longest weekday morning run that my schedule asks me to do, out of the way image  Can't wait for the mornings to just pick up by a few degrees, they are chilling to the bone right now.  Between 5 and 8 degrees for me is perfect, i'll take that please Mr Weatherman.

• Strangely Brown wrote (see)

14 mile GA run done this morning.  At least I got the longest weekday morning run that my schedule asks me to do, out of the way image  Can't wait for the mornings to just pick up by a few degrees, they are chilling to the bone right now.  Between 5 and 8 degrees for me is perfect, i'll take that please Mr Weatherman.

A very stiff,slow 8 miler this morning

Indeed looking forward to discarding the high vis vest, additional long sleeved shirt and gloves/hat any day soon. Lighter, warmer mornings most welcome

Have remained in shorts for the winter and thatmay have contributed to some of the stiffness in the colder weather (make your own jokes)

Another 8 miles tomorrow, won't be long before I'm back on that towpath for a couple of the weekly runs

• Morning...or afternoon?!

I don't know how some of you get up so early to do these long runs.  I just physically can not run too early.  I suppose 8 am would be the absolute earliest, and even then I doubt I could do more than 5 miles.  I don't know what it is, but I am much better at running later on.

I agree about the weather...it's sunny intervals here and dry (good!), but there is a bitter wind.  Just when we thought Spring was on it's way as well...maybe not.  It's saying perhaps more snow at the weekend....great!!

No running for me, but spinning and going to the gym tonight, so I will be getting some decent excercise. 

Keep going guys....nearly into March!

Panda

• Redpanda wrote (see)

Morning...or afternoon?!

I don't know how some of you get up so early to do these long runs.  I just physically can not run too early.  I suppose 8 am would be the absolute earliest, and even then I doubt I could do more than 5 miles.  I don't know what it is, but I am much better at running later on.

Panda

The irony is that the odd occasion I have run in the afternoon or evening, I have run a much better time than the equivalent route run in the morning. Perhaps my body is more awake and fuelled, I just don't enjoy them as much. Maybe I'm still half asleep on a morning run and don't feel the pain

LSR of 18 next Tuesday afternoon, so we'll see

Indeed, "Beware the strides of March" image

• ....."comes in like a lion....goes out like a lamb!"

Redpanda wrote (see)

Morning...or afternoon?!

Panda

The irony is that the odd occasion I have run in the afternoon or evening, I have run a much better time than the equivalent route run in the morning. Perhaps my body is more awake and fuelled, I just don't enjoy them as much. Maybe I'm still half asleep on a morning run and don't feel the pain

It's an oddity, that's for sure.  I run in the morning because my good lady rises early for work anyway and I work from home 3 or 4 days a week.  If i'm going to be up at sparrow's fart, I may as well be out running.

But, just like you, the times when i've run later in the morning or in the afternoon, my times for the same heart rate are markedly and very suprisingly better.  Not sure what the science is but I don't always feel like i'm running any quicker but my Garmin tells me very much otherwise.  Odd.

• Give me an early morning any day!  I think that it's the nicest part of the day to run, especially on a Sunday when there's minimal traffic anyway.  At this time of the year, and with 6am starts for the LSR, it's nice to see dawn break - even if it is over a less than scenic horizon sometimes.  The only downside is that I now find it almost impossible to have a lie in - what with getting up early for swimming and running, my body clock's alarm goes off regularly at 5am....either that or it's a sign of age!

• If get out of the door for a run by 10am I've done very well.

• Ha, sparrows fart?! Thats a new one on me!!! I suppose we are better running late on as we will have properly woken up and most likely had plenty to eat and drink by then.

I just really cant do it. I tried it before work once, which meant me running at 6.30 or something. I only did four miles and it was a disaster, I hated it! X
  • Some early birds on here, don't mind upto 8/9 miles 6am but further than that I like my porridge a hour before I go out. Day off 2mo up bout 8:30, porridge, 13 miles hour later
  • You're both right and i'd probably enjoy my runs more if they were in the evenings but a big part of running for me is about self-discipline.  I accept that it will involve cold, wet, discomfort, pain, exhaustion and doing a whole host of things that seem to defy sense.  The ability to drag my arse out of bed on a freezing cold winters morn when i'm tired and yet to settle in to the day to go and run 10 miles fills me with immense satisfaction.  I may not always enjoy the act (I more often than not do, though) but I always enjoy the sense of achievement it gives me.

I find that if you can overcome some of these challenges, most of life's day-to-day trivial trials and tribulations become far easier to accept and deal with.

• But dont forget everyone, that Manchester starts at 9:00 so it mught be good practise to get some early morning runs in so there are no surprises on the day !

• Double post for some reason

• I might do some training runs around 12pm and practise the finish but thats about it.image

• Disaster run for me today. Supposed to be running 16 mile LSR, managed 8 and then felt as if my face was numb and decided to stop there! Freezing cold and thoroughly fed up! Good job I've built in a few extra weeks into my schedule to cope with illness and things like todays eventuality. Trying to look on the bright side and think that 8 miles in todays weather conditions is still not bad going!

Hope you all have better runs than me this weekend.

• I have made the difficult decision to transfer (or defer) to next year, I am just not getting the runs in due to work commitments and an old niggling injury. I have sent THREE emails to the organisers requesting that they sort this out for me, I get the privilege of paying them £10 to do this..... And they can't even respond.  Well hacked off with them, seems the organisation of last year is continuing into this year image 

• Sorry to hear about your problems DeliH - not a nice decision to have to make when you're well into the schedule.  Hope you hear from the organisers soon and that it's just a temporary blip for them and not a sign of things to come...in the meantime I'll stay well clear in case you start throwing things!

On a lighter note, try eating your porridge the night before if you've got an early run - it works!

• Would welcome any advice here.

Ran the great North West HM yesterday and suprised myself running 1.28.56.  Manchester is my first full Marathon so am still very unsure what pace to run/time to aim for.  I don't have to bust my balls on my first marathon but I still don't want to finish thinking I could have gone much quicker if i'd pushed.

Using the McMillan calculator, it suggests I should be aiming for 3.07 for a Marathon.  That's now starting to get tantalisingly close to sub 3 hours.  With 2 months to go, is there a realistic chance that I can improve my performance up to sub 3 hour standard or would I be better advised to just run a good time between 3 and 3.20 and push for sub 3 on the next one?

Novice questions I know but when Marathon running is concerned, I am a novice.

• got my first 20 miler done for this yesterday. image