oh bugger, another fat newbie.....

Comments

• lol. HTFU it is then.

• knit one, pearl one, run twice, bike once.....long bike tomorrow. hot bath tonight -=feeling a little stiff.

• run twice and bike once..............  What on Thursday ?

Get your act together or we will send the boys round (or Meldy)

• run wednesday, bike thusday, run this morning......please dont send the boys round. im in enough trouble image

• arrrgh. been summonsed sooner than expected, means ill probably be free to drive before the half outlaw and onwards.

bugger is I withdrew as I was rather sure I wouldnt be.

ill have to get through court, get the details and re-enter if possible/appropriate. may actually miss the DIY instead!

long bike today, long run tomorrow. day off yesterday. OH insisted on spring cleaning and 'helping around the house'

• for me, an hour on the turbo is long right now.

an hour an 15 for the run in the morning.

• Ah a gentle warm up ready for a proper rideimage
  • indeed. looking forward to a lot of bike time shortly image

• dunno how. hurt my thigh a couple of days ago. running is not happening to plan.

so more bike. jumped on trainerroad. picked a similar turbo to mine ( ie. the current version of the one I bought around 1.5 children ago ) and created a baseline with the 20 minute test.

( the numbers I get , i can use on this turbo config and nowhere else until I validate my own turbo's powercurve or upgrade the trainer. the later will happen when ive dealt with the consequences of a moments stupidity )

now, completed the 20 minute test. tried to read the bible on power training. just very confused and sweaty now? so much easier when your a pro and the pro team provides a coach and a geek to figure all this stuff out.  but I think my relative ( to my configuration only ) FTP is 172 = so I should be able to hammer out at 172 indefinately ?

head hurts. legs hurt. time for a wash and a sleep

hows everyone doing otherwise ?

• PrivateLard wrote (see)

dunno how. hurt my thigh a couple of days ago. running is not happening to plan.

so more bike. jumped on trainerroad. picked a similar turbo to mine ( ie. the current version of the one I bought around 1.5 children ago ) and created a baseline with the 20 minute test.

( the numbers I get , i can use on this turbo config and nowhere else until I validate my own turbo's powercurve or upgrade the trainer. the later will happen when ive dealt with the consequences of a moments stupidity )

now, completed the 20 minute test. tried to read the bible on power training. just very confused and sweaty now? so much easier when your a pro and the pro team provides a coach and a geek to figure all this stuff out.  but I think my relative ( to my configuration only ) FTP is 172 = so I should be able to hammer out at 172 indefinately ?

Well done on the 20 minute test. They're never fun. Lots of controvosy on how hard to do the 5 minute section too. Will you share your TR page? Which Bible are you using?

Your FTP is Functional Threshold Power, Threshold being the key part. This is the all-out power you can put out for an hour. Power zone wise this lives in Zone 4 (Threshold) For IM (i.e. all day pace) you'll want to be in Endurance, which is Zone 2.

• Hi

I uploaded it onto garminconnect as http://connect.garmin.com/activity/278398204

not sure if you can see this http://www.trainerroad.com/career/sgtlard

the bible would appear to be 'training and racing with a power meter' by Allen and Coggan? 

managed a nice outdoor run this morning, legs will be hammered by tea time. not sure how to fit a session in tomorrow - should be bike, but promised OH a night out....  maybe around the business park before work? loops maybe. or another run? ( I need a longer than 1hr bike session )

• Pooh, got 2 new people to stalk on trainer road now image Wished there was an option to add as friends instead of having to bookmark pages.

Well done lard, keep at trainer road, it's done wonders for me. I started of with an FTP of around 135W back in December, I completed the int base training plan and have managed to get it up to 225W now. So it seems the short inyerval sessions have worked for me, although they have prob just made me better at doing 20 min testsimage

Nice and tidy graph there Cat, wish mine was as neat image
  • Ta RR. Don;t forget to turn the smooting onimage.

Great start Pvt! That book truly is the Bible, though it's worth sampling some other viewpoints.Read the bit at the back about training for IM bike legs and the zones to be in.

TR has polarised the way I train on the bike, and I'm seeing big changes when I race. This is a year of short racing so an hour of threshold or VO2 intervals helps me alot.

• Any news to share Lard?

I've been lurking, just wondered are you still in the game?
  • SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

im game. getting a bit of stuff done. running mostly.  I will hop on the bike tonight for a bit of a bash ( need a long bike - have done for a month or more ). Bike progress is good otherwise. looking forward to 90 mins of turbo. ( is that weird?)

running not so much - outside im getting better. but still need to breakthrough 6 miles/12 min milling as limiters. looking at some interval/fartlet work on the tready and staying outdoors for a long run later in the week.

been a tad distracted: daughter verry ill with glandualr fever, now recovering fine except a brief but rather ungracious bout of decor by technicolour yawn. pulled a muscle in my back so couldnt run fast. then the muscle moved to my hamstring and was puleld again. I just ratherhe stopped pulling and hung out with a few friends.

ooo, Goerge Osborn also wants my help with the deficit. Can I send him the money immediately, or would I like a kick inthe nuts first.

( Im getting the kick in the nuts first - of to court shortly for my bus pass instructions )

the money im giving away would buy a very nice TT bike. sort of thing pro's ride as 'sponsored afletes'. speeding isnt worth it. neither is being too welll paid.

PS. I deserve the kick in the nuts. I dont think George needs any more of my help with the deficit. ( perhaps he can tell europe to foxtrot oscar instead )

• But you aren't doing enough riding o deserve a TT bike ! Teehee
  • SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

lol.

I almost certainly will be in the very immediate future.  I wonder if George will accept an IOU as I will need to review my transport options image

• Pte Lard
    Bike to work scheme? Get some of the money back.

Hey, sorry for hijacking, but like a kid with a prize from sport's day I feel compelled to bounce about and report that I managed to swim 152 lengths yesterday. That's 3800m. 2.4 miles. 1x IM swim. And it was well inside the cut off. It looks like I could be allowed a bike ride, after all!

• Sgt - have you used TrainerRoad since?

Did a 20 minute power test last night. Usual hurt but much better pacing than last time.

• SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

Hi. Indeed, only yesterday I managaed another session 

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/252424

mostly enjoyable, but got harder in the last third. much more fun than doing without the stimulous.

got a 40 min treadmil interval session in tonight.  lots of fun. far too much z4, and I should probably check the manual as I wasnt expecting to go from 11.40 min miles to 9:40 min miles as an interval session......

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/284068630

Im wondering how much better everyone else is doing. and how im going to break the 1hr session barrier....which should have happened regulary since january... image

• Good effort Soldier!

You'll find that with intervals. They take you way out of your comfort zone and make you faster.

• Lard, on your garmin report you have a "training effect" on your heart rate read out. How do you get this? Mine doesn't have it on my garmin connect page.
  • SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

does it ?  I think you fill out your profile ( ie, im a at 46yr old. my heart rate zones are filled in = so I think it can figure out I was busting my ass vs. my previous efforts )

do you have the hrt monitor do hickey ?

ideally bike session tonight.... another endurance effort - might try and make it past the 60 minute mark.

and a run tomorrow.

• Here is one of my garmin traces http://connect.garmin.com/activity/280719239

It's recording my heart rate etc and I've filled in my profile details but don't see the option.
  • Double whammy tonight. TrainerRoad and Sufferfest!

• richards - I wonder if it depends which garmin you have? I have the 910xt and it gives me the training effect

what does trainer road give you? is it worth paying for?