Safety apps

Hello!

Does anyone know of an android app that will continually track your whereabouts for friends and family to access should you get into difficulites whilst out alone?

I think it's a good idea to keep a mobile phone with you whilst out running, especially when off road as I do a lot, but what would be really useful would be a way for friends and family to look you up in real time!

Thanks!

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I really wouldn't WANT people to be tracking me in real time.  What a creepy idea image

• I've used 'where's my phone' in the past. It's exclusive to iPhone though.
  • I must admit last month running in the snow and ice along a raised path surrounded by water miles from anywhere did make me realise no one had a clue where I was and how vunerable/stupid I was. It wasn't like I was slipping around or anything but it did have that "opening scene in "Casualty"" feel about it so I can understand you pondering this.

• endomondo has a live track option (pro only i think) 

• yes, endomondo works well, the pro version isnt expensive, only a couple of quid i think, and people can track you online. The tracking page updates every couple of minutes.

• Google Latitude.  If you're running an Andoird phone you can also open the Maps app, get a fix on your position, and then email/SMS a link to your location to anyone you like.  That, of course, assumes that your fingers haven't been eaten by a rabid fox.

@Wilkie - I think you missed the OP's point.

• @DF3 - thanks for that.  I've been busy the last few days, and I've missed your smug twattishness and considerable lack of understanding of apps such as Latitude.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Intermanaut wrote (see)

Google Latitude.  If you're running an Andoird phone you can also open the Maps app, get a fix on your position, and then email/SMS a link to your location to anyone you like.  That, of course, assumes that your fingers haven't been eaten by a rabid fox.

@Wilkie - I think you missed the OP's point.

No, I don't believe I have.  

I have just given my opinion, which is different from the OPs.

I don't know what, in particular the OP fears, but I don't fear it and I don't like the idea of someone, anyone, tracking my movements.  

That's all.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

is it possible to set something up on someone else's phone to track them without them knowing?

• skotty wrote (see)

is it possible to set something up on someone else's phone to track them without them knowing?

• skotty wrote (see)

Ask the News of the world they would know if thats possible image

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

i tried something like that one afternoon but it didn't seem to work too well.

looked like the wife never left the bedroom all afternoon.

perhaps she just left her phone there.

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    DF3 -- Transmits their co-ordinates every 10 (TEN) minutes?!!! Is the OP out running or crawling? LOL image
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

TD, someone who wants to track someone else without their knowledge is not necessarily tracking a runner image

• If you've got the phone with you, can you not just tell them if you need to phone them?

• Andriod users can use Real Time GPS tracker.  I use it for some of my longer runs so that my wife knows where I am.  She can turn it on remotely and as long as there is signal and GPS signal can see where I am.  Password only access so as secure as it can be I suppose, I have the phone to call if I need it, but if someone wants to know where I am on a race - if they are supporting me at a certain point then useful. 

• skotty wrote (see)

skotty wrote (see)

i tried something like that one afternoon but it didn't seem to work too well.

looked like the wife never left the bedroom all afternoon.

perhaps she just left her phone there.

image Not really sure whether to laugh or warn your missus Skotty

• Endomondo works:

You invite people to have access to the tracker, so it's not exactly a stalkers charter.
    Forumite Prince Siegfried cycled from Lands End to John O'Groats, and I was able to see key points along the route, including the ability to meet up with him near Bristol. I followed their route all the way up tot the tip of the northernmost point. It got quite exciting. Or am i sad?

• I don't think its creepy if the person using the phone wants to be tracked.

That said - its probably not going to help much. I could only see some kind of freak accident where you've fallen and knocked your head and then your tracking pal could find you. Unless the battery runs out, or they've gone shopping and forgotten about you. Its a neat app but very limited use for 99.9% of runners.
  • I set up Apple's 'Find My Friends' on my iphone so my dad could see where I was on long runs and races. Not for my safety, just cause he was interested in following my whereabouts along the West Highland Way. Can only be used to track you by people you have pre-approved. It's very accurate. I can look at his phone's location on a zoomed-in map and tell which end of the house he's sitting in! I know you said an android phone, but there must be something similar available...