Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    *waves* hello from Malta. 16'c and feels almost summery when you're not in the wind!

Hope everyone is doing well and I'll be back online Tuesday
  • Don't think so mate, read the article this morning and thought I would 'invade' a few forums to get some opinions or start some discussions on the topic, as well as trying to get some motivation to start me back running. Think the article goes against the principals of marathon training. Would be interesting to hear what others think.

How's the training going of Paris
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I've just heard on FB that there's 50,000 people registered for Paris now.... They're "concerned" about congestion so are doing staggered starts.
  • I'll be doing a staggered finish image

Good luck in malta Emmy

• DV - I'll volunteer my hotel for post race libations. It's just 0.4 miles from the finish.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Emmy - it was wave starts last year and it seemed to work well. There was a bit of waiting around in the pens but I wouldn't say that the congestion was too bad.
  • Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    kaz1 wrote (see)

shot bloks = Laxative(with me)!!image

You're meant to take them orally Kaz!

Probably shouldn't have read that in a public place image.

Somebody asked about sugar crashes with jelly beans. I think I've worked out what went wrong the other day, normally I have no problems with them. On Wednesday I was meeting up with some people about 7 miles into a 12 mile run. I was a bit early, so I ate some jelly beans while I was waiting. It was about 20 minutes before I started running again, and maybe 10 minutes in I started to feel quite wobbly and low-blood-sugary. Had a few more beans, slowed down, everything sort of levelled out in about another 10 minutes. I reckon the problem was that the beans I ate when I stopped went straight into my system, which was still ticking over in 'run mode' but I didn't burn them off, causing a spike in blood sugar levels, followed by a crash when I started off again. If that makes sense. 

Dannirr - can we come to yours for a pre-race pee as well image?

• Running Rodent wrote (see)
    Dannirr - can we come to yours for a pre-race pee as well image?

Sure thing! Can all gather in the lobby until it's time to go.

• Trevor Olver wrote (see)

At 29 I'm not the baby of the thread am I!?

I'm 29 too Trevor so will happily be part of the toddler group! image Although, at 60 miles a week, I'm currently feeling closer to 60!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Danirr - I may request your loo as well if I may? I'll be willing to pay you in crunchies?image

@Bedders - you're not the only young wipper-snapper here. I'm even younger than youimage
  • Thanks Bedders!  Using your math, my 60 mile weeks must explain why I feel like I'm 80!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

If 29 = toddler then that makes me a teenager - "uhhh - so unfair - I hate you - nobody understands me!" image

Btw. how you manage to run 60 mile weeks I will never know!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Me neither, I struggle to get beyond 50 miles. I'm a fossilised 50. 

• Oh yes, I'm 29 too.

Leeds Rob. Got it in one about tempo pacing and HR. I can tell by feel what HR I can support for a given period and I just see whatever pace comes out of that. As I progress a bit I may push myself harder to hold a challenging pace but not wanting to go too far just yet with training intensity.

Good luck this weekend in Malta Emmy, you properly young thing you.
  • For everyone going to to dentist... you get one of these badges if you're very, very brave image

/members/images/727962/Gallery/DENTIST.jpg

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I'd like one of those... I need some work done but am too chicken to do it.
  • Good luck in Malta Emmy.

Well, this 29 year old is doing his first ever Duathlon this morning. It's a low key, small club event but my stomach is already churning! It's 'only' a 1k run, 10k cycle and 3k run. First outing on the road bike for quite a while. Thankfully the sun has come out and the temperature is slowly climbing above zero.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

David, I'm exhausted just reading that article. Are you going to give the regime a go? Maybe its novelty would kick start your return to marathoning? You want to be fit for Paris 2014...image

I love that, Weedy.If only it were true...Actually, terror makes me a very good, co-operative patient. I'd probably hand over my first-born child , if it would get me out the chair faster..

Go, Emmy and Simon! And anyone else out there running or racing.

6 weeks, tomorrow...

• I went for a horrible 20 mile run this morning in a smoggy Shanghai. It was my first run for a couple of weeks due to a bad knee, holiday, then food poisoning, so it was a battle from 7 miles onwards. I'm made up I finished it though. 4 more weekends to bank the long run miles.

I've decided to use power bar gels this year as I took them for Berlin and was fine. Only trouble is they are hard to get hold of out here so I may have to use them for the first time again on race day. Anyone done this before? Or heard of any catastrophes with this approach?
  • Dannirr wrote (see)

DV - I'll volunteer my hotel for post race libations. It's just 0.4 miles from the finish.

And it's only 100m from mine image  Kudos on using the term libations too.

Running Rodent wrote (see)
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    kaz1 wrote (see)

shot bloks = Laxative(with me)!!image

You're meant to take them orally Kaz!

One does what one can.

Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Leeds Rob. Got it in one about tempo pacing and HR. I can tell by feel what HR I can support for a given period and I just see whatever pace comes out of that. As I progress a bit I may push myself harder to hold a challenging pace but not wanting to go too far just yet with training intensity. 

Interesting.  I don't have the book at hand but are there ranges in P&D (or more accurately how to calculate them)?

Good luck Emmy & Simon.

• Good luck Emmy and to everybody else for LSRs!

TD: Settling in quite nicely. Loving the job - great people, interesting work - and the island. Had a bit of a blinder last weekend, so pretending to be a good girl this weekend. Hoping to hit 26km tomorrow.

A few of you have talked about a hotel in Paris that you've stayed at previously and booked again this year with the landlady who gets cross at other guests making too much noise. DLR, was that you? Can you let me know the name? Now that I've started to settle in, I need to sort out flights and accommodation.

• Good Luck Emmy and Simon!!!

Last day at work went very slowly and quietly!! BF and I went for drinks after work, since all work staff were having a night out but failed to invite me!!!(I am billy-no-matesimage) After 6 vodka, lime and soda's I headed home, leaving him with some mates(aren't I good!!imageimage).

Up this morning and did 9.3  miles with the last two miles  @ 8.34mm and 8.37mm - average pace for whole run 9.34. Quite happy with that and cobwebs cleared!imageimage

Holding my hand out now to get my knuckles rapped..........2nd week back running and 47 miles D&D......

• Consider them rapped Kaz - but congrats on the last day at work image .

MM - I think the hotel you mean is the Astrid, but unfortunately I think it's fully booked because I tried to get in there again and couldn't. Worth a try in case they have had some cancellations.

On my way to the start of my L-not-so-SR on the world's shoogliest train. And the snowflakes are gently falling image .
  • ATM- Yeah it's the reading equivalent of a 20 mile Sunday long run. I use the P & D up to 55 mile a week plan for my marathons and can't see me changing. I felt that from the article there wasn't too many success stories and the ones who did gain success to me had all the attributes to be good marathon runners anyway.

Need to get out of the bit though as strugling to get back to fitness from recent illness. Got Berlin this year to get ready for, as for Paris next year?

• David - you know you want to...! Bring your wife - ever so romantic, no doubt, watching your loved one sweat their way around the beauty of Paris...;)

• Very Good Iain, the wife has made it abundantly clear that she finds going to marathons boring. The only reason I've managed to talk her into letting me do Chicago next year for my 40th is the bribe of a visit to New York on route. Only hope is there is no problems with registration like the ones they are having this year.

• Good long run for me this morning, 21 miles (4th week on the bounce for my long run distance), probably the best I've ever slogged out. Started out a struggle as always (don't know if it's a psychological thing with knowing how far there is to go) but soon settled into the pace and just seemed to ease round. The weather helped too; it wasn't in minus temperatures like the last few weeks. A bit of light snow from about halfway but not enough to hinder the progress.

On the subject of gels, I tried out a PowerBar gel (same as Tommy Mac) today which didn't have any adverse effects. Don't usually 'fuel' for a long run, a banana before I head out usually does me but thought I may as well use this time to see what I can tolerate.

Happy with the way things are going at the moment, the incessant training seems to be paying off, I've dropped a bit of weight and haven't had a drink for 54 days, which for me, is quite an achievement in itself!

Just praying TOUCH WOOD that it continues up to April 7th!

• I see the Chicago Marathon has suspended registration until at least March. I am super pleased we have confirmed entries.

Paris is starting to feel real .... Especially after watching Midnight in Paris last night. Woody Allen really shows off our route very well..
  • Hi Everyone,

I did a long run on Friday, 18 miles, all went well and feel pretty good today apart from being really dehydrated.  The only water I run with is one of those hand held things with a hole through the middle (the bigger one) and it just can't be enough for 18+ milers.  I know we'll be getting water around the route but I like to put energy tabs in my drinks as I hate gels and one hand held bottle isn't going to get me round.  Has any one got a suggestions for carrying more water?  Has any one tried a camelbak? Would love to hear your thoughts as reading through your comments you all seem  ALOT more experienced than me.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Sarah. There are a number of options available to you.

The first would be to run with your doughnut bottle and to fill it up en route at the water stations. You could add a tablet to it then.

I run with a Nathan hydration belt which holds 2 x 250 ml bottles - which I may top up as above. It sits on my hips, secures via Velcro and is pretty stable.

You can also get belts that hold single 500 ml bottles or 3 or 4 smaller bottles.

I'm not sure if anyone here uses a camelback but one thing that I have heard is that they slosh a bit. I would have thought they would take a bit of getting used to as well.

There are loads of options but you'll have to get used to whatever you pick.