Just A Little Bit Further 2013

Comments

• did a couple of sneaky one minute runs when I was on the treadmill today, knee feeling ok so may do the same next time I am at the gym and try to build up little by little again. 

• That's good news MC

Louise - all the best on your race tomorrow. We will be cheering you on. And enviously dreaming of sunshine and warmth. Today has felt sooooooo cold.

Just pilates for me.

• ooo sis  a spanky nooo car !!!!image *claps hands and skips about*

what kind? what colour? how fast?

• Morning

Did 59:07.  Finally cracked the 60 minute barrier...good enough for now, especially since this was an 'incidental' event and I couldn't train or taper for it without compromising the TO distance plan so I'm happy imageimageimage

Good news MC - little by little....

I like new cars.  Exciting! 

• Louise - well doneimage

morning everyoneimage

• Afternoon,

It's  a bit quiet today.

Louise well done you must be really pleased. imageThe CRAC team are proud of you.

Well back from my long run 19 miles in 2.44 which I am pleasesd with- a tad achey at the moment!

Speak later...it's Friday so party night to celebrate Louise's 10k PB!! image

• well done AF

my hamstrings are really achy, not sure why, but going to spend a while with the foam roller later. Done 19 miles on the turboimage

• I need to get one of these foam rollers. Well done on 19 mikes on a turbo- not sure what it is however!  

• turbo is just a contraption that I put my bike onto that has a roller type thing at the back, so I can use my bike as an exercise bike inside. It is better than an exercise bike as it is your own bike you are on so you are in a better more natural riding position rather than a comfy gym bike

• Ah ha I know what you mean now. I always thought those things looked terrifying and easy to fall off!! Mind you I am mega uncordinated. i 

• Afternoon

Firstly WELL DONE Louise on breaking the sub 60 min 10k....image a big woo hoo from me

Secondly...wowser AF...superb run of 19 miles...mind and rest up tomorrow...did you use the SIS gels..you obviously felt ok to do that time...another woo hoo from me.

MC...take care of the knee and hope your hamstrings are ok.

I did my 10 miler sheduled run which is my LSR for the week on road and mixed trail..was good but very cold.

AND yes we gotr our noooooooooooooo car..its silver and very shiny and very clean...wonder how long that will last...lol...Its a SKODA fabia..we have had skoda cars for the last 10 years or so and have found them to be good..hope this one is as good as our last one as it never let us down and as only ever in the garage for a service...Not been out in it yet as have been busy today with running and other things...and am working all weekend.Looking forwrd to 1st long drive in it..which will be a visit to my my mum next week...image

• ooh franny have fun in your new car. I have a fabia too - the estate version but it is 6 years old, brill carimage

• Thanks Franny- yes I did uese 1 SIS gel and some blocks. The stickiness from my gel didn't bother me as I was wearing gloves as it was brass monkis outthere. Still experimenting at the moment- my stomach felt empty at around mile 15 so probably could have done with another one there.Well done on your 10 miler.

RE Skoda Mrs AF needs a new car - will suggest that that is an option to consider are Zafira is an X reg and does need repalcing- as children are getting older it is very rare that we have all 4 children in the car at the same time so can move away from people movers.

• I need honest opinions - it is obvious that I can't run my marathon in April, and also that I won't be able to run the half marathon either - but would it be bad to walk the half marathon? Or would it be better just to forget about it? Personally I wouldn't feel a failure for walking it so long as I race-walked, and it would be good training for my half ironman, but other people think I was bad/stupid/weird for walking all the way?

• well done Louise!!!! thats brill, target acheived!image how dyu feel?

hi sis , well done on a cold 10miler, my turn tomoz , hoping to get LSR in and perhaps a B2B on sundayimage Brrrrr making me shiver thinking about it! ooo lovely silver car, hope its a goodun and behaves sis. i will see it soon image

well done boss on your long run too, mighty cold today.

• HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I am so relieved to finally have my stuff sorted that I was agonising over well kind of anyway but finally feel less pressured.

Oooooooh Franny, how exciting to have a fabby new car.

Louise, Mahoosive Well done on your race. That's a brilliant time too.

Mathschick, its totally up to you and how you feel but I know my friends race walked the Birmingham HM a couple of years ago and was only a few Min's behind me, just make sure you don't do more damage that's all.

Loula, I hope that you get your LSR in tomorrow. I am hoping to do a longer run. I am struggling to get mine in due to time issues. It means I will have to jump through the miles quite quickly now.

Hope everyone else is okay.

• ecky - good to have you back with us

blimey it is really cold out there. And my big boy is off to the peak district with the scouts walking for the weekend. I went to buy him a thermal top and fleecy jumper today which should fit under his coat ok. I am going to be worried till we get him back, but at least scouts should be well organised and they are sleeping in a youth hostel and not camping

• It sure is freezing Mathschick. I don't blame you for getting Big Boy some thermals. Im sure he will be fine. I hope he has a brilliant time.

Oooooh I forgot to tell you all. Big Girl has got her Prom dress, well we have put a deposit down. Its not a really expensive one but its lovely. Navy Blue Grecian style which looks lovely with her long dark hair. I will admit my eyes did leak a little when I saw her in it.

• Wow, sounds a great day!

Well done Louise imageimageimage

And AF for your 19 miles.

And Franny on your new car.

MC - mmm, difficult to know what is best, but i would go with what Ecky says. No reason not to walk it as long as it doesn't do further damage. Hope your big lad has fun.

Loula - hope you get out for your runs.

It has been so bitterly cold today that I couldn't take my girls for a bike ride and I'm just not feeling up to a run now in such cold and dark.... plus I have a lot of work to finish this evening. Parkrun in the morning but this week has been very light on the training.

• /members/images/531201/Gallery/1_0.jpg

....aw chili, stay in the warm livingroom at CRAC towers..hot choc, biccies and fire... 

• chili - it is a cutback week so don't worryimage

I'll see if I can get my walking up to the distance and make the decision based on that

• Chilli, dont worry. You will be fine. My training has not been as it should because of time and weather but we get through these things dont we image.

I will add some hot buttered crumpets to the pile.

• Thanks lovely ladies image Loula that fire looks wonderful and I would love some buttered crumpets.

Children all tucked up in bed so I'm off to prep for Sunday. Hope everyone has a good run tomorrow.

• *passes extra buttery crumpet to Chilli* 

• Evening all, wow busy busy in crac towers. Well done AF and Louise. MC I'd do it if you feel comfortable but personally I couldnt trust myself not to try and run it. Its great your knee is better. Franny all the best runners have skodas lolimage Nice choice! Well it's off to hanoi tomorrow morning for 4 weeks. Theres 10k race out there in march that i might do.

have a good weekend everyone image
  • morning all

just packed big boy off with the scouts wearing his thermals! 12 kids and 5 adults so they will be well looked after

Matt - my knee isn't better but I am doing what I can and trying not to make it worse, currently waiting for an appointment for an mri

off to swimming soon

• sorry mc i must have got my wires crossed. one thing thats helped me a lot is making sure i'm stretched out daily. i've started using a towel during the quad stretch as i've found tha holding my foot with the opposite hand isnt good enough.
  • are you back running again now matt? I am doing a lot of biking and swimming which isn't aggravating it too much and have been mainly walking on the treadmill to build that up so that at least I can walk the run part of the triathlons I am signed up for. I would go mad and get really fat if I couldn't do any exercise at all

• Well done AF!  Your 19 miler was pretty speedy.

MC, using the half to build up stamina and stay feeling connected - I'd say go for it, I found doing stuff like that kept me motivated through injury. 

Ecky - I don't see your name on the thread for London - I am a supporter - I can be your supporter if you like imagehttp://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/spring-marathon/london-marathon-2013---runners-and-supporters/237557-9.html

LLB how long is your longest pre-ultra LSR as a % of target distance?  I can't make up my mind how far to go over the next few weekends.  Help!

• moooooooooooooorning -flurries of snow here!! eek!

Louise, my longest last run depends on the length of the ultra really. im doing compton 40 at start of april so id prob aim to do 26-28 mid march...the compton 40 event im then using as my last long run before NDW50miler in May, then 2 weeks after that i have northants35 ,but thatll kinda be a recovery run lol. so in ultra we tend to use actual events as trainings runs a lot so it just becomes a rolling schedule..to do a 40mile run alonbe as a training run can be lonely and a bit dull so doing events as a training run for the next thing is a good way of having company, testing kit, conditions , getting throuhg aid stations in expected times etc.  we usually pick 1 or 2 'important ' eventd that we want to do particularly well in especially if they have been privcey to enter and then base cheaper ultras in and around them to prep for them. the really good thing about ultras is that they are quite cheap in comparison to large events. the ridgeway 85 for example is £40 entry, thats an ultra lasting 85miles and over 24 hours,fully supported with aid stations ,hot food and drink etc all the way....what more could you want!image