Options

White bread

I don't eat a lot of bread - say 5 slices a week. Whilst I prefer whole meal seeded bread I find myself going to the loaf and its gone past edible as I don't eat it enough. Therefore tend to end up not buying and eating the families white bread (kids don't like whoemeal). Is white bread, in that quantities, really that bad for you nutritionally?

Comments

• Options

If you have bread in the house that lasts for several days and is still apparently edible..... you have to ask what's in it to keep it so 'fresh'.

I think there is bread and there is bread.  Some are made with a few ingredients and some are processed to death and made with lots more.  I know which I would chose and personally I am more satisfiedd with a chunk of rough artisan bread than a few slices of plastic pretend bread - white OR wholemeal.  I honestly don't think that the difference to your health from white or wholemeal is huge but  I don't buy the white fluffy plastic stuff because the kids eat it like candy.... which says it all I think.

• Options

On the whole I think white bread is kind of neutral. It's pretty bland stuff and there isn't that much in it to make it either good or bad, although bread baked daily by a baker is going to have fewer preservatives than supermarket bread wrapped in plastic. 

I'm not sure 5 slices a week would make much difference either way though. 

• Options

why not keep your bread in the freezer then just defrost a slice when you want some? I generally don't even buy white bread and the family have to eat what I buy! The kids have been brought up on wholemeal so they don't complain

• Options

Good point mathschick, especially if it's for toast - and it sounds like it might be from what you say.

• Options
    mathschick wrote (see)

why not keep your bread in the freezer then just defrost a slice when you want some? I generally don't even buy white bread and the family have to eat what I buy! The kids have been brought up on wholemeal so they don't complain

+1 for that. We just normally end up with dozens of frozen crusts!

• Options

We keep our bread in the freezer as we only use it for toast and it's absalutely fine. I'm more intrigued by the thought that someone eats an odd number of slices at a time. I always thought bread should be eaten in pairs of slices (for a sandwich, or 2 slices of toast). The thought of eating it in odd multiples confuses me... is that just me?

• Options

All things in moderation is old-fashioned, but correct...

• Options

@penguingirl, it's not just you, but it's still a weird idea!

I quite often have one piece of toast, especially if it's for dipping in a nice runny egg!

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

If it's only five slices a week, I don't think it will matter whether it's white or brown.

I often have only one slice, for toast.

• Options
    Is white bread bad for you? No. Wholemeal can be better for you but you have to look at your diet as a whole no just a few slices of bread.
  • Options
    Sophisticated?Sophisticated? I've been to Leeds!!!!
  • Options
    www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=z0X0222Iwhk
  • Options

We make it in a breadmaker, no preservatives, when we can. I don't get on with bread as a rule and I can't use it for carb loading as it just leaves me wiped out but the home made stuff, far less so.

So, I guess, like a lot of things, it's what goes in it. Ours goes stale in a day or so, as it should.

With bacon and cheese baked into the bread, it's orsum.

• Options

But there are times when only the cheap cotton wool white bread will do. Like for chip or fish finger or egg butties.

• Options
    Yeah Muttley but the trouble is that William guesses that it's bad for you. They should put a warning on the bread that some people guess it can cause gluten intolerance.
  • Options

personally i prefer seeded bread but one of my girls only likes super bleached fluffy bread  - *sigh* lol  i let her as she eats my meals of veg overloading, pulses and seeds. 

we freeze bread the other girl often eats 1 bit  - this also frustrates me  - 

more frustrating is her freind who is staying  this w/end and doesn't eat spicy stuff  - wth!!  or cheesecake ? 

• Options
    I eat bread in huge quantities. I went through a period of eating only wholemeal but realised life is too short, so I'm back on the white sourdough. Occasionally I go on go the hard stuff that has been cut with fats, flour improvers and other guff. A little of this mass produced Chorlywood processed cottonwool won't hurt. I fancy a chip buttie now.
  • Options

I eat bread in huge quantiities...and white plastic bread and butter is gorgeous....i could eat a whole loaf........prefer it to chocolate or bisuits.......

kev...i got my kids over to the 50/50 stuff........obviously not as good as homemade seededed granary with linseed and soya  etc etc etc.............but i think it must be better than the plain white stuffimage

• Options

Oh God I miss bread..... real bread, sticky, yeasty, healthy bread....  but I don't miss gluten.

• Options

I have 6-8 slices of wholemeal a day image

hasn't done me any harm i think image

• Options
    Will try 50/50 Seren.

The odd number comes from having one slice to go with soup!
  • Options
    I worked in manufacture of bread, for a reputable family owned company, it was ok till I saw how the Ingredients are presented, liquid fats to extend shelf life, brine concentrate to mix at lower temperatures additives of enzymes and Lecithin which are derived from animal and plant tissues. Not for the faint hearted, bread should be made with minimal ingredients and should not last more than 2days. Home made bread looks bad in comparison but tastes better and does not give you the bloated feeling of processed bread.
  • Options

RK - ditto what others have said about the 50/50 loaves - think Warburtons and Hovis do them?

Other nice white bread which you can get from a bakery and are very nice include a tiger loaf and milk loaf - nice when you fancy a change from every day bread.

Have you tried alternatives like muffins, crumpets and scones for the weekend? Nice every now and then. Muffins go well with eggs too image

• Options
    Each to their own if you want your fresh baked bread that goes stale the next day but there is nothing wrong with longer life bread. The additives do their job and have no risk to health. I buy a 50/50 loaf most weeks and occasionally a fresh loaf and even sometimes make my own.
  • Options

I don't eat much bread but bake my own sourdough and that easily lasts up to a week with no crap in it. I agree that it's not ideal for a chip butty though.

• Options

Bread doesn't "go off" until it's got lumps of mould growning on it, who cares if it's stale? The best bread to buy is in supermarkets at the end of the day, you can get an 800g loaf for 14p, enough cals for a whole day, apart from scrumping I can't think of a cheaper way to live. 98p for a whole weeks food.

• Options

If salt was removed from processed bread, we would save 4000 strokes a year.

• Options
    The salt in bread in the uk has been reduced by a third in the past 10 years apparently.

http://www.foodnavigator.com/Science-Nutrition/CASH-recognises-bread-industry-efforts-on-salt-reduction