Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Weedy you're a genius
  • Well, I stick my head somewhere else for a couple of days and find long friend Finn has clocked 170kms in a day (some cars would be pleased to achieve that), hear that Running Rodent has dreamt of being chased up a towpath by me AND Leeds Rob with the small possibility of some leg flashing inducements along the way, and Orbutt has annihilated his HM PB and turned into a groovy leather clad film legend.

Great stuff. image

While you lot were all hard at work running, Yer_Maj has been skiing... and I clocked up a huge 10.75kms run over the weekend.  Kaz has been doing impressions of a cold can of beer to get some attention, Dannirr has been kicking hard for the finish line like a racehorse on steroids, Scott the Walker has been eyeing up birds in his local park but I don't think PC91 saw him at it (Hello x3), James B 73 has been giving himself some LSR (Long Slow Refreshment) after an improved LSR, Wi has been a Nun on the Run but never met Eric Idle OR Robbie Coltrane, DLR has been finding his mojo but being careful not to play too hard with it, ATM is trying her hand at amateur psychology through the medium of a search engine, Megs11 has made a very strong claim to be the babe(y) of the bunch - wow, I can barely remember being 21. How cool must it be to do long distance running at an age where powers of recovery are massive?!?

I don't think this breathless review of the Oscars, erm, Paris Thread... would be over without also mentioning The Jimbob has racked up 500miles in this campaign while Scott has left the birds alone now and is nerve-wracked about getting injured. Chill out fella. The training makes you STRONG. I can't quite tell if The Jimbob is carrying frozen lollies in his shorts while he runs but I can't believe it's a good idea really. Marathon Maus was sheepishly caught behind barbed wire but is enjoying her new Island a great deal (and we are enjoying having you nearer to us!).

Any chance of some gallery updates then?

• I am soooooooo nervous...........and It seems to have drained all my energyimage

I need motivation and inspiration. 6 weeks........the doubts are now settled firmly in my mind and I think I am on a bit of a low because of it and the fact that weeeks of inactivity have led to a massive increase in my waist and a**e size.imageimage

Love it Weedy!!

Orbutt - Well done on the PB!!imageimage

Megs - Great 20 miler.

YM - Nice to have you back.image

• Kaz if it makes you feel any better I somehow managed to put on two pounds last week despite running 48 miles image .

ATM - good luck at the dentist. Try not to bite anyone unless you absolutely have to.
  • Kaz - Relax and remember after your operation that Paris is just a fun run. That and you ran 47 miles last week, that's more than I managed and that included a 20 mile LSR. There will be thousands on the start line who never get near that weekly total in their training. You may not be in PB shape, but that's not the goal for this one. Save that target for Berlin.

• Orbutt that is a superb PB image

Thanks for the summary, TD....that all very, erm, clear now....

Kaz, we'll be the judge of your arse size.  In Corcorans.  It'll give us something to do.

6 weeks...oh hell image

• TD - I'm not flashing any leg with you and RR about. Not after last time.

Kaz - stand near me in Corcorans. You'll be the Pippa Middleton to my James Corden.
  • PC91 & the Orb: nicely done.
  • Been reading back a bit while drinking my pre run coffee...DV kicked my arse back in October re the fueling thing.  I ran the Cardiff Half on a cup of tea and a banana which has always been my pre race strategy.  This, apparently, was Not On.  Since then I have made a conscious effort to have breakfast 2.5 hours before any run of 14 miles or over and it has made a big difference. 

And I am an Independent Financial Adviser.  Sorry.

• Good luck Kaz, and ATM.

Last week's was the Arnie classic The Running Man. Gone a little bit Shakespearean this week.

Busy weekend for everyone coming up...good luck all.

Mar 3: Brugge-Oostende 10-mile - Emmy. Hogweed Hill Half - Straycelt. Paris Half - ATM. Silverstone Half - Jimbob, Megs. St David's Day 10k - Yer Maj. Surrey Spitfire 20 - Malcs, Tiddy.
    Mar 9: Regent's Park 10k - RR.
    Mar 10: Loch Katrine Half - Eggy. Ponteland Half - Iain M.
    Mar 17: Georgia Half - Danni. Liverpool Half - James B, Orbutt. Reading Half - Jimbob.
    Mar 18: St Anne's 10-miler - DLR.
    Mar 23: Coniston 14 - Iain M. Thames Path Ultra - DV.
    Mar 24: Brentwood Half - NGUG. Forest of Dean Half - Ward. Harewood House 10k - DLR. Hastings Half - Tiddy. Lexington Half - Straycelt.
    Mar 25: Warsaw Half - Wiol.
    Mar 30: Crete De Spa Half - Emmy. Dallas Half - Straycelt.
    Apr: London-Paris-London: DV.
    Apr 7: Paris Marathon - Taro, Jiro, Saburo.
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 14: Edinburgh Rock N Roll Half - Helterskelter.
    Apr 21: Antwerp Marathon - Emmy. Great Welsh Marathon - Malcs. London Marathon - Eggy, Straycelt.
    Apr 28: Chirk Sprint Tri - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    May 1: Montauban 18k - Onetit.
    May 4: Bewl Marathon - Emmy.
    May 5: Mont St Michel Marathon - Princess Fi. Richmond Half - Tiddy. Richmond Marathon - Emmy.
    May 6: Milton Keynes Marathon - Emmy.
    May 9: Trois Rocs Trail Ultra - Onetit.
    May 11: Kintyre Way Ultra - ATM. Mallorca IM70.3 - Engineer.
    May 12: Great Ethiopian Run half - RR.
    May 26: Edinburgh Marathon - Tiddy. Mull of Kintyre Half - Helterskelter.
    May 27: London 10k - Jimbob.
    Jun 8: Luxembourg Marathon - Emmy.
    Jun 9: Bala Half Ironman - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Jun 15/16: South Downs Way Ultra - DV.
    Jun 23: Shrewsbury Half - Yer Maj. Torbay Half - Jimbob.
    Jun 29: Giants Head Trail Marathon - Emmy.
    Jul 8: Paris Tri - RR.
    Jul 14: Northumberland Coastal Run - Iain M.
    Jul 16-18: Badwater Ultra - DV.
    Jul 16-22: In The Long Run (Bratislava to Brussels) - TD.
    Jul 27-28: Thunder Run - Malcs.
    Jul 28: Ironman Switzerland - Engineer.
    Aug 3: The Devil O The Highlands Ultra - Kaz.
    Aug 5: Dublin Half - Straycelt.
    Aug 10: North Downs Way Ultra - DV.
    Sep 7: Medoc Marathon - DV.
    Sep 9: Bala Olympic Triathlon - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Sep 15: Great North Run - Iain M, Jimbob, RS, Tiddy..
    Sep 21-22: Cotswolds 102m ultra - DV.
    Sep 22: Ladybower 35 - RR.
    Sep 29: Berlin Marathon - DLR, Emmy, Iain M, Jimbob, Kaz, Neil B, Orbutt, RS, Suzy M, Tiddy.
    Oct 6: Cardiff Half - Yer Maj.
    Oct 8: Jersey Marathon - Princess Fiona.
    Oct 13: Chicago Marathon - Danni.
    Oct 20: Yorkshire Marathon - Malcs.
    Oct 26: Beachy Head Marathon - Yer Maj.
    Oct 27: Frankfurt Marathon - Emmy.
    Nov 3: New York Marathon - Tiddy.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Dec 27: Wiol's birthday.
    Dec 31: TD's birthday.
    Jan 3: OO's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 19: DV's birthday.
    Jan 29: Kaz's ginormous dog's birthday.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks RR & ATM for the Finn explanation - anyone who runs that kind of distance firmly deserves their place in the nutter category image. Are there any other nutters on this thread aside from Finn, DV and Emmy?

Kaz - totally understand your nerves. However, you are back up and running some impressive mileage already. You can do alot in 6 weeks. With a shorter taper you could get 4 more weeks of training in. You also have less time to pick up any niggles. You'll probably find you run the race of your life! 

Orbutt - congratulations on your new PB!

Great pic Weedy, although is that Orbutt or D.C. Terrence Perkins from The Bill? image

/members/images/448713/Gallery/Terry_Perkins_070531110051155_wideweb__300x293_1.jpg

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Jeez, that's scary. I've never watched the Bill but I seriously thought you'd done a Weedy on that picture until I Googled him.

Kaz - you could do with finding out about your inner Chimp and giving him a bit of a bitch slapping. Honestly girl, your weeks of inactivity have led to you being able to run again. Take that as the gift that it is, forget about doing anything other than a training run in Paris and target Berlin.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

image Alive. (Dentist says no running today. As if...(

yer_maj wrote (see)

....we'll be the judge of your arse size.  In Corcorans. 

I can see the marathon weekend taking shape, now...

• Hello all, how are you? I'm doing the marathon de Paris this year ad am quite excited (although nervous) about doing my first race abroad!

My lovely fiance is coming to support, and I wondered if you have any designated cheering spots, so perhaps a sole UK supporter could have a bit of company? I'm aiming to do it in 4h30 but it'll still be 5hrs ish before I catch up with him at the end. 

Any tips you have would be great too. We're getting the Eurostar on the Friday afternoon, then going to an apartment for the weekend. Not sure where it is though, I should probably check that!

Hope all of your training is going well. Not long now 'til taper time...

• KeyserSuze - Welcome to the thread.

If you send RadarSal a message she'll send you a copy of her supporters guide, which is meant to be very good (I wouldn't know as I have no supporters). There will be a few others with supporters about if your fiancée is looking for company, but that should probably come with a disclaimer that leaving items (even humans) with Paris thread regulars and their friends and family is done so at your own risk and no claims can be made against any resulting loss or damage!

ATM - Glad to hear you survived. Hope it wasn't too painful.

• Suze - where've you been?!!!! How's the training been going?

• Verbal Kint - welcome to the thread.

• Hi KeyserSuze. How's the limp these days?

I'm planning on being a cheerleader in Paris. No specific plan just yet but no one needs to be on their own for the event. Stick around here and we'll work something out.

Kaz. Orbutt is right. You need to buy and read ate ChimpParadox by Dr.Steve Peters. Such a good book for managing your inner dialogues. Recommended to all.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    KeyserSuze - hiya image

It would depend upon how many times your support team would like to see you on the route. As Eggy says, Radar Sal (currently on holiday) has a brilliant supporters guide which will allow him to see you in 4 places around the course. He'll need to hop the metro a couple of times and take a little walk towards the end but her guide is very detailed and will gets him around.

However, there will be groups of British supporters that he can join with if he'd rather have company.

I will add, from personal experience, that the supporters really do keep you going and knowing that you will be seeing someone special in a few miles really does give you a boost.

Speaking of Verbal Kint, when The Usual Suspect was first released I was visiting that London. On the underground, someone has written on one of the posters "it's him" with an arrow image
  • I'm planning on dropping out at around 18 miles TD - be good to meet at the Trocadero and Line 6 it back to the finishing area.

The Chimp Paradox has made a huge difference for me - and my extension my family. 

• DLR - I've got to the gremlins/goblins bit and it really is fascinating.  Now I understand all my fuckups even more...image

9 miles with 5 x 1km at 5k pace for me this morning.  Which is frankly worthy of another image with a sideorder of image

• Sorry to disappoint but my arse size will not be up for discussion in Corcorans, that is unless it has increased in size that much you can see it from whereever I am at in Paris at that time!!!image

My inner voices.......mmmm...........demons that need a good kick up the rear end. Book sounds rather interesting, but scary!

My induction day lasted a whole 2.5 hours, consisted a lot of story telling and drinking coffee........so all goodimage My new hours have changed - 4 days@ 9.45-14.30, and 1 day 8.30-14.30  with a Tuesday and Sunday off - I suddenly feel like I have an awful lot of spare time!image

Since I was home earlier than anticipated, and its gorgeous sunshine here today again I took myself out for a very relaxed 10k only to find when I got home that average pace was 8.51mm............I must adopt this relaxed, not look at watch thing more oftenimage

Off to walk the hound now.........

• Kaz it's a really easy to read, thought provoking book.  Not scary at all - you'll juist spend a lot of the time going "oh yeah!"...

• Aw, thanks everyone, that's really kind of you. ATM's already sorted me out with some info, and I'd heard that RadarSal's the person to talk to!

Thanks to  Eggyh73, Dirty Leeds Rob, Tricky Dicky and Orbutt for the welcomes too.

@WeedyGonzalez  - sorry about the no show, between work and training, all of my forum posts have been written in the breeze... Training is going well (despite the limp,ha) and I managed 18miles yesterday without feeling completely broken afterwards. So perky in fact, that I had to check the garmin a couple of times to make sure it was working. 

20mile race next Sunday to test the ol' race tuning (following last weekend's half marathon at Eton Dorney - anyone else have the pleasure?!) and then, the weekend after that (drum roll, please) my 100th parkrun!

Oh, and I'm now doing London marathon this year as well. I'm under strict instructions to REST after that. Well, barring the half I signed up to yesterday, in May.  But am definitely going to rest after that. 

I am getting nervous about Paris. But also excited.

I think I also need to go back and read about the Chimp Paradox, sounds interesting...

• Oh another Paris and London runner. That's Audrey, KeyserSuze, myself and George Orwell.

• Happy Monday everyone, sounds like you are all keeping at it, and fast..!  I managed 22k again yesterday and shaved a couple of mins off last weekend.  Today I donned the Yaktrak things as it's not stopped snowing - they are FAB!!  I want it to keep snowing now.

Got a half marathon in Caussade - yep, you've never heard of it.....but it's a good one, small of course, but I always run in their 11k, but this year I'm going to whole hog and two laps as it fits in with the schedule, so hope we don't suddenly get a heatwave, which has been know.

Good news from the hospital - got the all clear, so Friday was a celebration day for me, even forced myself a half glass of red wine - hic...!!

Keep on running

• Hurray @Eggyh73 - a large proportion of friends and family keep telling me I'm bonkers to do both! I keep telling them that I'll have done the training and that plenty of other people manage ultras.

• Orbutt - well done, just going back pages and pages to see what everyone has been up to......speedy huh!! 

Hope the skiing was good fun Maj.

• @KeyserSuze wrote (see)

Hurray @Eggyh73 - a large proportion of friends and family keep telling me I'm bonkers to do both! I keep telling them that I'll have done the training and that plenty of other people manage ultras.

To be fair I think I'm bonkers for attempting both. I know plenty of folk do events that close together, but this will be a first for me.