Beginner attempting Marathon - 6 May

Hello,

I have never run more than about 5k.
Started running last week, (as I stupidly agreed to try the marathon).

Ran 12 miles on Sunday, well jogged, took 2 hours!!!!!!! Could take me 6 to do the marathon if I can do it, how long to they stay at the finish line handing out medals? It's all I want lol!

Ran 10k into work on Tuesday and 12k into work today. Got a 15 miler lined up for Sunday, the marathon is in 10 weeks. Do you think I will be able to do it if I can complete the 15 miler this Sunday?

I am not making light of marathons or anything, my only ambition at this stage is to try and complete it. Do others do the same? I don't want to finish like 2 hours behind everyone else

Comments

• If you carry on like that you won't even make the start.

Ok - you ran 12 miles in 2 hrs in training after only ever having run 5k before. You must be doing some other form of exercise in oder to have the fitness and stamina.

Running is more than just fitness and stamina, it's also conditioning the legs to be able to run distance. Your muscles and bones and tendons and joints all need to become acustomed to ponding the pavements. It's high impact and dnd doing too much too soon is the easiest way to end up on the injury bench.

Whether or not you can run 15 miles on Sunday is no indicator of your ability to finish the marathon.

I would advise you take a look at a marathon training plan, maybe only run 12 miles this weekend to consolidate you previous run. Then think about increasing distance.

As for cut off times, it's unlikely that it will take you 6 hrs if you ran 12 in 2. You'll need to check with the organisors of the marathon via their website. All marathons are different but if you get caught by the sweeper then in some instances you'll be offered a ride to the finish, a short cut to the finish or to prceed at your own risk without support. Some races will have a sweeper who travels with the last runner all the way without a cut off time. So you need to find out.

• Many thanks for your response mrs hog. This highlights the fact that I do not have a clue. I was just running as far as I can really.

I better get a 10 week plan together!

• I think I get my stamina from the gym, I have been going for years, but mainly concentrating on weights and compound excerices rather than cardio. I am currently at 5 days a week.

• Take it easier! Sooner or later you will pick up an injury, make it later rather than sooner by increasing distance gently and taking rest days.

Caveat; newbie speaking.

• Calm down weewheels, your doing to much too quick. Drop down to 10 miles long run this week slowly and increase by 10% each week, in 5 weeks you'll be up to 16-17 miles then week 6 have a drop back week to 13 miles then try fit in 2 18-20 mile runs then taper off for a couple of weeks, also at the same time doing a couple of shorter runs during the week. Best I think in your limited time.

Careful not to injure yourself and good luck!!
  • Thanks,

I was panicking that I wouldn't have enough time, and I read on the 12 tips page to do long runs as much as possible in training for a marathon

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

weewheels - so long as you don't go crazy as suggested by others, you'll be fine.

To put it into perspective for you, last year I set myself a fundraising challenge of running 100 miles (2 marathons, 1 ultra (33 miles) and a 15 mile hill race).  My prep for all of the above was absolutely terrible.  I'd ran a half marathon a couple of years previous (1:54) and a handful of 10k races.  I ran (well, shuffled) the 33 mile ultra in 7:17 on the back of about 4 or 5 long runs of about 12 miles (ridiculous, I know), did the 15 mile run in 2:20, again really just on 12-13 mile runs (maybe a couple after the 33 mile run), then the Edinburgh Marathon in 4:48 (in horrible heat) off the back of one 17 mile run and the rest 12 or so.  I then had 4 or 5 months off - instead of training, I went back to football and then did about 6 weeks' training for the Loch Ness Marathon - I did manage a couple of longer runs, longest being 21 miles, plus a couple of 15 mile runs, but really nothing close to proper marathon training, and I ran that in 4:24.

All of those runs hurt, a lot.  I've learned my lesson though - proper training plans are the way forward!  Take it slowly and build it up as folk have said above and you'll be fine, and you'll get a decent marathon time!  Good luck image

• Thanks Calum!

If I am convinced I can do it, I can slow down the training. I think you have helped convince I can actually finish it.

•   Hi weewheels,

I'm currently training for my first marathon (I'm doing the training over 18 weeks and I'm currently in week 9) and last weekend I did my first half-marathon, which I'm still recovering from. The reason I'm still recovering is because I ran it like a race instead of a training run for a full marathon. The point I'm trying to make, and the advice I'm trying to give you, is this: while you're training, RUN SLOW!

By running slowly during your training runs you'll build your endurance and minimise your risk of injury; you'll train your body to burn fat more efficiently, which means hitting the wall will be easier when your body runs out of glycogen (your primary fuel); and you'll surprise yourself on race-day when you run faster than you thought possibleimage

Good luck and happy running!

• Hummmmmm

I reckon you should do a comfy 2h 59m marsthon the way you are goingimage

From nothing to 25m in 3 days...
  • David, you take the same route to work everyday? I used to cycle and the journey was between 15 and 22 miles.

Anyway, how did you get on weewheels?

• weewheels is it the Belfast Marathon on May  6th your doing ?