Hip pain

2»

Comments

• Just joined this site. Great by the way. I have been running for a year or 2 now and am aged 47. I find that after running 9 miles or so the righ hip - in the place where it joins the pelvis gets really sore. To the point where I have to slow down or sometimes even stop completely. Not something you want to do in a half marathon - this happened yesterday at the island race on Anglesey. Always seems to be at the 9 - 10 mile stage. I am going for a gait analysis to see if better shoes might fix it.

• Really interesting read I'm also currently suffering with Hip and knee pain I ran last year upto 5 miles and never had any problems, I'm now training for a 10K and noticed after about 45 minutes pain starts to creep into my hip (feels like in the actual joints) and sometimes the left side of my knee too the pain gets worse over night whilst laid in bed and next morning I can hardly walk.  I stretch before and after and also use a foam roller as I was advised it could be lactic acid build up around the IT Band I'm taking Glucosamine Sulphate 1,000mg a day and these all seam to help stiffness /sore muscles but the pain in the joints is still there.  I really dont want to give up running despite the pain I really love it I'm hoping someone might be able to help more and after reading these posts I will go see a chiro

Lou

• to donna bell: your query originally was ages ago, but the pain you described, at one point in each hip, v painful if pressed and painful any time, sounds like bursitis to me.

i had it in both hips for ages in a v painful manner - even a stroke over the area or sitting in chair with arms was painful.

i had a few injections (cortico-steroid and lidocaine) into the hip joint which helped a bit and lasted between a week to 5 weeks.

i then lost weight and started running which i'm sure has helped, as now i can only feel the sensitive points if i search for them, or make a hard impact right on the area.

you may have had all that from someone before, so hope you're over it now.

• Interesting what I just read about hip pain.

I'm facing mostly the same problems described here.

I started running very recently, and after 2 months I started feeling this right hip pain, or discomfort. The strange thing is that I felt it not while running but the day after.

Went to the doctor, made some x-ray, and he said nothing was wrong with my hip or joints. So I decided to visit a physio who, after seeing my x-ray, said that I have 2 things:

1. FAI - Femoral Acetabulum Impingement
    2. Weakness of the stabilizing muscles (gluteus medius is the main one)

So I went through a lot of sessions and exercises at home, and 2 months after stopped running, even though the pain was not completely vanished, I restarted running slowly.

But the pain came up again, and the strangest thing is that I can stand the pain while running, and even sometimes the pain is not present when running. But it simply comes the days after, and specially when I'm sitting at the office or while driving my car.

I really don't know what to do. The pain comes and goes. Increases and decreases intensity. Some days I think I'm ok, and others I really feel the pain while sitting.

Any help would be very appreciated.

• Can Mel, Kaz or anyone else who has had exercises prescribed by a physio/chiropractor detail what the recommended excercises are?

I am training for my sirst marathon and last week while doing a 10 mile beach run started getting a niggle in my hip. Yesterday doing a 12 mile road run it was more noticable. Don't want it to impact my training so if I do exercises to strengthen the area I'm hoping that will help.

I had a similar problem a few years back training for my first 1/2 marathon, but after the race I took a break for a couple of months and it cleared up. 13 weeks to marathon day so can't afford to take much time off just now.

Love the cooperative community here. Thanks!

• This is a very interesting thread. I am training for my first marathon in May but last week after a fourteen mile run I had pain in my left hip. Had asports massage and cut down my mileage this week. Managed about 5k yesterday with just a twinge. Did a 10k race today and had to walk/ limp the last 1k the pain was so bad. There was a physio at teh race and he said he thought I had a tight or infamed glute. Since the race I feel like I have seized up on my left hip and cannot bear weight on my left leg. Will try to see a physion this week and obviously can't run. Not feeling optimistic form reading preceding posts. Like Allan above I don't feel I can afford to take time off but that might be the sensible option.

I dont want to give up.

• I am 26 years old and run a few times a week.  The runs tend to consist of shorter distances, around 6/7 miles or less, which are fast, and longer runs (12-13 miles). I have found that on the shorter runs, where I pick up the pace, I will suffer from pain in the hip area above the joint. This was primarly on my right side, but recently after a very fast 5 k run shifted to the left as well. I have seen a physio and the GP about it. The GP's answer was 'don't run' the physio (and incidentally a chiropractor I saw  who I mentioned this complaint to) said STRECH, STRECH, STRECH! Both advised at least 30 minutes of stretchs. The chiropractor actually showed me a few I didn't know. Sadly no one gave me answers, but the stretches (all over body) seem to help. Take time on each area and really hold the stretch. It didn't disappear, but it did help. I found the pain was coming on after a run less often. I will confess that my laziness of getting through the door, into the shower and on with cooking some well deserved grub has meant that I haven't stretched as ordered and thus I'm now suffering.

Thought the advice is useful I do worry about long term damage, but sadly not running isn't an option as it really it's done wonders for my level of cardio fitness, has helped maintain my weight (though I still carry some extra baggage) and really elevates the mood!

Hope this helps.

• Hi All, I have been researching hip pain now for the past few weeks as I too am suffering with the worst form of pain in the piriformis/sciatic/gluteal region; oh the pain!! I have been running for 2 years now on and off and signed up for my first marathon which takes place in April this year. I was running three / four time per week before christmas, never experiencing any pain or problems, but decided to have a bit of a rest over the two week christmas peirod only running 12 miles once a week during this time. I went back to running in January 2013, only to discover severe right knee pain, as I work within Podiatry I have the services of professionals at my disposal, with gait anaylisis and advice reguarly. I carried out recommended stretches and now incorporate this into my daily regime. Yes, the knee pain has gone, but I now suffer with the most excruciating pain in my hip, which would onset at around 10 miles. I subseuqently went and had some sports massage last week with the hope that this would see me right; I was scheduled for a 20 mile run on Saturday, but the pain came on after around a mile and a half, but I ran through until 18.5 miles where it was so severe I hobbled the remainder of the way home! I have another session of sports massage on Tuesday, but am starting to feel rather depressed that I may not be able to run my first marathon. I only have six weeks left of training and feel that I cant pull back and rest as the time wont allow! Has anyone ever had to defer from a marathon, especially their first ~ if so how did you feel? Has anyone ever suffered like this, but still managed to run their marathon?  I feel I will not only be letting myself down if I dont run, but all the people that have already made such wonderful donations to my charity in which I am fundraising for!! A bit of advice and a pep talk would be really appreciated. Many thanks Jo x.

• Hey me again. I have just had a conversation with my GP who reckons this is a torn muscle; she has given me a course of Naproxen and advised if I am still suffering with the pain in a weeks time to withdraw from the Marathon? Any thoughts on this? x
  • Hi Jo, although I said above I am training for my first marathon, it is the second one I have entered. Two years ago I displaced my kneecap playing football 10 weeks before the marathon (in my last game before giving up to concentrate on training) and subsequently lost two months of training.

I had been back in training for one week by marathon date and still had my registration and was SO tempted to run it as I was devastated at the prospect of missing out, but common sense took over in the end. It was tough, but the most important thing is your health and doing yourself justice. If you're not fit, don't run. There will be planty more races.

Sorry if this isn't the answer you were looking for!

• Hello Allan, Displaced knee cap, sounds painful! Thank you for your reply, it's much appreciated - the word devastated certainly sums it up, it's good to hear this type of comment from a fellow runner, In a way it makes me feel better as I am not the only one this sort of thing happens to - less of a failure if you know what I mean.

Well I must say I seem to be on the mend, sports therapy seems to be helping, would recommend it to everyone.

Thanks again Allan and I wish you all the very best of luck with your first marathon.

Kindest regards Jo image
  • I am writing in this forum, for a few reasons. Firstly so no one will make the same mistake as me and develop chronic disabling pain, and secondly to see if anyone can provide any additional advice.

I have (or had) been running for 12 years with no significant injury up until last year. In that time period, I ran 10km on a daily basis, plus several half marathons, and a couple off road 30-40km runs including mountain tracks, in the snow, etc. I mainly ran for personal enjoyment. I absolutely loved it, running was such an important part of my life. .

Approximately, 10 months ago, my sister asked me if I would like to enter a 36km off road race in NZ. I eagerly agreed, and started a training program with gradual increase in running mileage. Near the end of a 20km run, I developed a sudden onset of posterior left hip pain. I really did not think much of it, continued to run without resting the injury. The following weekend, I did another 20km training run. At the 12km mark, my left posterior hip pain returned forcing me to walk. Unfortunately I continued to train. At this stage my hip pain would flare at the start, and end of runs, whilst driving, or sitting for prolonged periods. I ignored the pain, never seeked medical attention (being a medical professional myself), and continued to run. Nothing was going to stop meimage until one day in october, I was walking and the dull posterior hip pain increased in severity to the extent I I could not continue walking. The pain was sharp and localized to posterior hip/SI region. I could barely make it back to my car. Since that day, I have not been able to walk more than 5 minutes, let alone return to running. My symptoms include a constant dull posterior hip ache, worse on sitting, walking, and can radiate down the posterior aspect of my thigh, to lateral aspect of my calf and dorsum of foot. In the morning, I will often get a sharp posterior hip pain on standing, and taking my first steps, or bending. If I relax, and stop moving it will gradually reside.  There have been a couple of occasions the pain has improved, to the extent I can walk for short periods, however often exacerbated by simple activities (travelling in unsupported back seat of car, or carrying 4kg). Then I am back to square one with that terrible dreaded sharp morning pain.

I have been to see sports physician, who queried the possibility of a sacral stress fracture. The MRI was normal (of course). He referred me for a dynamic USS of my hip ? sciatic nerve tethering/nerve entrapment- piriformis syndrome. The radiologist told me my sciatic nerve was extremely tethered, and was the worse case he had seen. He then proceeded to perform a sciatic nerve hydrodilation injection to release the nerve. This was a very painful procedure, and exacerbated my pain. A second injection was done 4 weeks later with further worsening of pain. They then repeated an MRI focusing on the piriformis muscle to see if this was causing sciatic nerve entrapment and tethering and whether surgical treatment was necessary. The MRI was not convincing, however the radiologist thought there was some sciatic nerve entrapment at the piriformis. Thus I was referred to an orthopaedic hip surgeon who felt the diagnosis was still unclear. When he reviewed the MRI he ? labral tear. There was also oedema around ischial tuberosity where hamstring attaches indicating tendinopathy, although I had this on the right hip as well (common finding in runners). I had a hip joint injection to exclude a joint cause, with no improvement in symptoms. The orthopaedic surgeon feels I would benefit from a piriformis muscle release and sciatic nerve release.

I am very hesitant to proceed with this, given the diagnosis still remains unclear. So I did some research on piriformis syndrome diagnosis, and decided to have a LA in to the piriformis muscle. This was done by CT-guided. Unfortunately, my sciatic nerve was hit, and caused ++ pain. Then I asked the radiologist to advance the needle more medially away from the nerve. When it entered my muscle, I felt this tightening/cramping pain, and thus the procedure was aborted. That night again I was in sooooo much pain all I could do was lie on my stomach, and try not to move.

Currently, I have decided to continue with a conservative approach of gentle gentle physio (no manipulation as this gives me sharp pain the next day), massage, and rest. (no stretching- makes it worse) Despite reducing my activities, my symptoms persist. Thus I have decided to take 6 weeks leave from work to see if this helps as my job involves getting up and down constantly. If this fails, I really do not know what to do. I am a 30yr old female doctor, and had planned on having kids in the next year which is obviously not an option now. I am depressed, frustrated, and just want my previous life back. I have started to get counseling on pain management etc. This helps to a small degree.

So my take home message, is rest if you are injured!!!!! Pain is a sign you are causing damage and need time to heal, re-assess your running biomechanics, and ensure you strengthen any muscle weakness etc. Find a good physiotherapist.