The Road to Paris - On a Plateau - Asics Target 26.2 Training

Comments

• Im so glad that it was all positive news at the physio and it was money well spent. It sounds like they gave you alot of useful advice which will hopefully benefit you for years to come.

I think my orthotics cost ??120 but they were money well spent. The were moulded around my feet and into my neutral trainers. I have been back a few times to have them tweaked and strengthened and havent had to pay a thing even though ive had them two years now.

I was a little concerned on saturday night when I sat down after our sight seeing and thought that my legs were aching slightly from the walking but then I thought what doesnt kill me will make me stronger. I really wanted a PB but at the end of the day VLM is my target so if the worse came to the worse and I didnt get a PB I thought all the walking was time on my feet and went towards London!

I did the same in Berlin before the big 25k and I felt great all the way round the race....knowing this was encouraging

Do you fly out to paris two days before the marathon? Will you get to do any sight seeing after the race?

Im glad you have said that about the jelly baby - porridge combination each time ive thought about it my stomachs turned!

Looking good at the end of Athens!

I hate doing laps too...it just seems pointless to me running past things that you have already run past. I hate it in races too when they send you up and back down a section of road just to make the miles up (im saying this and then can happily run on a TM)!

I reckon berry cider is good for carbo loading...before training for VLM I got a few PBs the night after drinking 1 or two!

I didnt bother taking the shot blocks with me today as I heard that there were home baked cakes and buns on route...I picked thinks up at the two check points but didnt eat anything until the end. managed 14.6 miles with out the help of any thing which I was quite impressed with. My out of date shot blocks look ok....I was thinking the same as you...may be I will try one block and if im ok, then the rest!

Congratulations on your run today, good to see that you had a good run and you was sensible. Good luck with your 2.5 hour run tomorrow.

Ruth last year I had salmon and a baked potatoe the evening before VLM - is that ok or rubbish for carbo loading? Would I be better with a pizza or pasta or lasagne?
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Wow, will it be 4 weeks in 2 weeks time? I can't believe how quickly the time has gone.

I assume Spitfire is still on for you?

Sarah - did you watch any of Ruth's target 26.2 video on marathon nutrition. She talks all about carbo loading. Maybe a baked potato is fine but if I understood it right you'd also add some toast or a bowl of cereal before bed too. Don't take it from me though, g see the vid if you haven't already.
  • Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Saturday 23rd February 2013

First run in 4 days. Very happy to be back!

9:30am - Breakfast - Raisin and Cinnamon Bagel with Lurpak spread. Cup of tea.

10:30am - Pint of squash

12:00pm - 6.29 mile run (see earlier post for full details)

1:30pm - Lunch - Leftover egg noodles with shrimps from dinner the night before. Pint of squash

4:30pm - Natural almond, apricot and yoghurt bar

6:00pm - Dinner - cheddar and caramelised onion tortellini with tomato and bacon sauce

8:00pm - 2 Lindt Lindor chocolates and a handful of peanut M&Ms, Cup of tea.

9:30pm - Muller Greek Fat Free Yoghurt, pint of squash

11:00pm - Glass of water.

• Day 70 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (24/02/13)

Target: LONG RUN 20 MILES COMFORTABLE (7:50m/m-8:50m/m) – ideally at least half on soft, varied terrain. This was changed to 2hrs 30mins comfortable by Sam due to injury last week and my quad still being tight.

Actual: 18.11 miles in 2:37:17 @ 8:41m/m (actually this has been my longest run of my Paris Marathon training so far!).

Mile Splits: 1st @ 8:26m/m. 2nd @ 8:42m/m. 3rd @ 8:50m/m. 4th @ 8:32m/m. 5th @ 8:39m/m. 6th @ 8:45m/m. 7th @ 8:51m/m. 8th @ 8:57m/m. 9th @ 8:53m/m. 10th @ 8:53m/m. 11th @ 8:51m/m. 12th @ 8:41m/m. 13th @ 8:27m/m. 14th @ 8:41m/m. 15th @ 8:34m/m. 16th @ 8:43m/m. 17th @ 8:43m/m. 18th @ 8:12m/m. Last 0.11 @ 7:13m/m.

After yesterday's return to running after the three day break due to injury, it was even better to make a return to my LSRs (Long Slow Runs, if like me these running acronyms can still new!) today.

I spoke to Sam last night and my original 20 miler was changed to a comfortable 2hrs 30mins run instead. This was due to just coming back from injury. I actually think this injury has played into my hands, as now I'll be doing my longest run in 2 weeks time, which is the perfect week to do the long run before the taper starts for Paris.

It also put less pressure on myself today. There were no mile targets to make or progressive speeds to remember. It was a straight 2hrs 30 mins of running. It was nice to be focusing on time rather than pace as it took a little bit of the pressure off and meant I wasn't checking my watch as often. It also meant I didn't have to push my tight quad too hard and stuck easily within my threshold. If it was a 20 miler today at marathon pace, then I'd have worried of aggravating it my quad again.

Where possible I tried to run on the grass verges to make it easier on my knee and legs. I aimed to stick to a speed of between 8:30m/m to 9:00m/m and then maybe speed up slightly in the second half if I felt no twinges or pain. I comfortably kept to this and was able to pick up the speed slightly in the second half of the run as well. There were no adverse effects or further injury problems. It feels like I'm finally reaching the light at the end of the tunnel now.

It was only in the last mile/ mile and a half that I started to stretch out and it was good to finish at speed and still feel good at the end. This was actually my longest run of my training so far and the first time I'd gone over 18 miles in 3 weeks!

One thing I did notice though with today's run - it didn't feel quite as easy at my last long run 3 weeks ago. Of course this could be down to being injured this week or pushing myself harder at last week's half marathon and still recovering. But now I'm back running with stability trainers I feel my running technique has changed slightly. When I had my gait analysis before training started my feet landed right at the back of the heels. While out running today I was noticing they were landing more in the middle. Because of this, I felt I wasn't getting the push off like I have been doing while using neutral trainers. I don't think I can read too much into this until I'm fully fit and run a pacing session again.

So, after a week where I missed half my runs, it was nice to finish with things back on track and get another long run under my belt.

Here's my run from today:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/277094151

• Malcs wrote (see)

Paulo - if beer = carbo loading then that's one carbo load I would happily manage image

My post earlier got cut I just realised. What DS2 told me was that the essential part was to be fully hydrated in the day or so before and drink loads afterwards. 

We've got snow here too but it's kind of nice. 

Running to Windsor must be nice Ady. Plenty to see around there. The down side of where I am is that it is mostly all built up - there's not much countryside unless you run the other way (into Kent) and then you run out of roads or have to use country lanes where you're just waiting for the next boy racer to come round the corner and flatten you!

How was the 20 miler today Malcs? My 20 miler was downgraded to 2hrs 30mins of running, which meant only 18 today. I'm feeling much happier now about running Spitfire next weekend.

Did you manage to do your run today without hydrating again? I was tempted to try it, but I hadn't really focused on staying hydrated yesterday, so took a running bottle with me. I only drank 100ml of it though, so it was almost hydration free!

I think your wise running into London than along country lanes blessed with those Boy Racer's. I haven't actually made it to Windsor yet - only as far as Staines, but should make it all the way to Windsor on my last long run. If not then, then definitely in my training for Comrades.

• Hi Ady,

Great too see your back on track and the knee problem behind you. It will be good to catch up with you and the others and have a proper chat about how things are going next weekend. I check in on everyone from time to time, but just can't keep up with everything!!!!

• sarah osborne wrote (see)
    I think my orthotics cost ??120 but they were money well spent. The were moulded around my feet and into my neutral trainers. I have been back a few times to have them tweaked and strengthened and havent had to pay a thing even though ive had them two years now.

I did the same in Berlin before the big 25k and I felt great all the way round the race....knowing this was encouraging

Do you fly out to paris two days before the marathon? Will you get to do any sight seeing after the race?

Im glad you have said that about the jelly baby - porridge combination each time ive thought about it my stomachs turned!

Looking good at the end of Athens!

I hate doing laps too...it just seems pointless to me running past things that you have already run past. I hate it in races too when they send you up and back down a section of road just to make the miles up (im saying this and then can happily run on a TM)!

I reckon berry cider is good for carbo loading...before training for VLM I got a few PBs the night after drinking 1 or two!

I didnt bother taking the shot blocks with me today as I heard that there were home baked cakes and buns on route...I picked thinks up at the two check points but didnt eat anything until the end. managed 14.6 miles with out the help of any thing which I was quite impressed with. My out of date shot blocks look ok....I was thinking the same as you...may be I will try one block and if im ok, then the rest!

Congratulations on your run today, good to see that you had a good run and you was sensible. Good luck with your 2.5 hour run tomorrow.

Ruth last year I had salmon and a baked potatoe the evening before VLM - is that ok or rubbish for carbo loading? Would I be better with a pizza or pasta or lasagne?

Hey Sarah.....well done on your Belvoir Challenge. That was a good speed cross-country. You must be delighted so soon after the Barcelona Half as well?

My knee felt much more comfortable today. I think the physio and change of trainers have certainly helped. My knee is a little sore now that the run has finished, but it's a different kind of soreness compared to before. It's not painful.....more like the soreness you get from other muscles after a long run. It's a relief to feel like this. I will still keep orthotics in mind though.

We're catching the Eurostar to Paris on the Friday. I'm not sure how much time we will have for sight-seeing unfortunately. Ther emight be a bit of free time on Saturday, but I'm not sure yet. I doubt I'll be doing much walking to be honest, as I'll be too focused on the marathon. We come back Monday as well, so proper sight-seeing will have to wait for another time I think!

I had salmon fish cake before my half marathon last weekend with pasta, but was told that this wasn't that beneficial for my carb-loading, so I think before Paris it will be straight pasta with no veg, fish or meat!

Do you have a big mileage week coming up. Whatever you have I hope all continues to go well with you! image

• Malcs wrote (see)
    Wow, will it be 4 weeks in 2 weeks time? I can't believe how quickly the time has gone.

I assume Spitfire is still on for you?

It really is insane how quickly the time has gone by. It's coming around so quickly and I still feel so under-prepared. I think I'll be feeling much better after next Sunday when I get my first 20 miler under my belt. I'm still running Spitfire, so I'll be banking on you to set a good pace and drag me around with you (rather than the other way like I think you mentioned earlier!).

I'm not sure exactly what pacing I'll be doing yet, but I think there should be some at MP towards the end. I'll wait for Coach Murphy's assessment and wise words image.

While I was running today I thought of another occassion when I've hit the wall, and this was all down to poor hydration and nutrition before and during the race. I think I've mentioned this before so I won't go into great detail in case I'm boring people with the same story twice!

I did the Great Wall of China Marathon in 2010 and only ate a huge pot noodle the night before the race as I was worried anything else might upset my stomach. I only had a couple of bananas for breakfast and only drank water during the race. I still hadn't started using gels at this point either. 

I went out really slowly and negotiated the first section of the wall before going off through villages and along trails. The last 10km of the race returns to the wall before a downhill section to the finish. This second section finished me off. It was over 30 degrees C as well. I started vomitting uncotrollably and sat lent against The Wall. I had nothing left at all. The worst thing was, that there was a guy selling Coke and other soft drinks 5 metres away who found great delight in watching me suffer and gradually get worse. 

More or less every other runner was in a similar state of mis-fortune and the drinks seller was finding great amusement in watching us! I was his car-crash TV that day. Unfortunately there was no offer of a free drink and it took a good 20 mins before a runner came past who was carrying money and she was kind enough to buy me a bottle of Coke. 

10 minutes later I was back on my feet for the slowest 10km walk to the finish I've ever had! I'd do this race again as I feel it beat me hands down. I'd like to go back and do myself justice. It was also my slowest ever marathon, taking 6hrs 23mins to finish.

/members/images/403074/Gallery/20x30-ZZZZ0011.jpg

I'd given up hope well before reaching this part!

/members/images/403074/Gallery/20x30-GWAD1540.jpg

With my trusted Coke in hand........Malcs I'll let you decide what animal I look like this time!image

• A.W wrote (see)

Hi Ady,

Great too see your back on track and the knee problem behind you. It will be good to catch up with you and the others and have a proper chat about how things are going next weekend. I check in on everyone from time to time, but just can't keep up with everything!!!!

Hey Alex.....great to here from you. Good 22 miler you did today as well, especially the last 5 miles at MP pace. It was a big leap from the 8+ min miles you ran for the first 17 miles. 

I'm very much looking forward to catching up next weekend as well. I'm sure we will be meeting at Birmingham New Street like before! It'll be interesting to see how you're planning on racing/ running  Spitfire as well.

I'm just the same as you. I check in on everyone else, but by the time I've replied to everybody and wrote on my own page, there's just not enough time left in the day to write elsewhere as well.

The knee is feeling much better now thanks. It's still a little sore, but even after todays 18 miles, I can walk normally on it, stretch it out and bend it without any hassle. After having it aching for the past 4 weeks, it's strange to have it feeling so much better. Just in timefor the highest mileage weeks!image

• /members/images/403074/Gallery/20x30-GWAD1540.jpg

With my trusted Coke in hand........Malcs I'll let you decide what animal I look like this time!image

/members/images/747712/Gallery/220px-Gorfou_sauteur_-_Rockhopper_Penguin.jpg

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

LOL - nailed it Xyloid image

Shady_Ady wrote (see)

How was the 20 miler today Malcs? My 20 miler was downgraded to 2hrs 30mins of running, which meant only 18 today. I'm feeling much happier now about running Spitfire next weekend.

Did you manage to do your run today without hydrating again? I was tempted to try it, but I hadn't really focused on staying hydrated yesterday, so took a running bottle with me. I only drank 100ml of it though, so it was almost hydration free!

I think your wise running into London than along country lanes blessed with those Boy Racer's. I haven't actually made it to Windsor yet - only as far as Staines, but should make it all the way to Windsor on my last long run. If not then, then definitely in my training for Comrades.

That's very impressive - 18 miles in 2:30! You were quicker than me. I did indeed manage my 20 - up to London then slingshot round Cutty Sark. I had to get up at 5am to run so I was back for my son's rugby. Feeling it a bit now!

Did the first 15 at 9mm and the last at 8mm. Went very well but the last mile or two I was starting to tire. Not sure I would have fancied another 6 miles so I have work to do still. That said, I am very happy to be where I am after starting mid Jan. 

It was more of a minimal hydration strategy this time. I took a 125ml flask with me because I was trying some Perpetuem tablets. They have a bit of protein in them. One of the ultra guys said that he tried taking protein on his long runs and it made a big difference (his runs are longer than mine though). Anyway I needed about 50ml just to wash down the tabs as they are quite powdery. 

How did you find not taking on water then? I have to say, once the weather changes I'll be gulping the stuff down. Today it was nobbling so hardly needed anything - I expect it was the same where you are. 

Question for you (and anyone else): do you find your legs get sore on thes long runs? I don't so much get tired, my legs just get achey, like after exercise kind of achey. Is that normal? Usually starts from 15 miles on. 

Looking forward to Spitfire next week now!

• Hi Ady, glad to hear you've had some good advice and things starting to settle. Don't push the speed with your quad let it dictate the pace if you feel it pulling you're running to hard for it still it may take a few more days to allow you to do speed work. Don't forget to ice after each run onto the quad to prevent any further damage. 

Glad the videos helped!!

See you saturday!

• Week 10 Weight Loss Watch!

Starting Weight: 162.8lbs (Target Weight: 148lbs)

Weight After Week 1: 162.2lbs (-0.6lbs) (Xmas Parties!)

Weight After Week 2: 161.9lbs (-0.3lbs) (Xmas!)

Weight After Week 3: 160.7lbs (-1.2lbs) (New Year!)

Weight After Week 4: 159.2lbs (-1.5lbs)

Weight After Week 5: 158.0lbs (-1.2lbs)

Weight After Week 6: 156.2lbs (-1.8lbs)

Weight After Week 7: 155.8lbs (-0.4lbs)

Weight After Week 8: 155.0lbs (-0.8lbs)

Weight After Week 9: 154.4lbs (-0.6lbs)

Weight After Week 10: 153.2lbs (-1.2lbs)

Total Loss: 9.6lbs

Again I'm shocked to have lost so much weight this week, especially considering I went 3 days without running due to injury, have enjoyed a few beers and also the odd chocoltae here and there. Maybe it's just showing that as long as you eat the bad foods in moderation instead of all the time, then you can still lose weight.

I really can't remember the last time when I was weighing in under 11 stone. it must have been at least 6 or 7 years ago if not longer.

I'm now coming up to the two heaviest weeks of my marathon training program and this alone should help see a continued weight loss drop, plus extra training giving by the physio in increasing the strength of my upper legs and glutes. This should bring me back on track of losing 1lb a week on average and getting down to at least 148lbs before race day.  

• Week 10 Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training Round-up (W/ Ending 24/02/13):

Day 64 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (18/02/13)

Target: REST/CT or 4 MILE JOG (CAN SWAP MON/WED, AS YOU FEEL)

Actual: Rest

Day 65 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (19/02/13)

Target: 2 MILES EASY then 3 x acceleration strides then 6 x 800M (or 3 mins) at 6.10-6.40 pace with 3 min jogs in between each. 1 MILE EASY (8 MILES) 

Actual: 2 miles comfortable then 4 x acceleration strides, then 6 x 1/2 mile reps @ 6:10-6:40m/m with 3 min jogs in between each. I mile comfortable c/down (7.12 miles)

Total: 7.12 miles in 1:05:15 @ 9:10m/m (The overall pace is slower due to walking between intervals instead of the usual jogging).

1/2 mile reps: 1st @ 6:22m/m. 2nd @ 6:19m/m. 3rd @ 6:27m/m. 4th @ 6:33m/m. 5th @ 6:36m/m. 6th @ 6:39m/m

Day 66 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (20/02/13)

Target: REST/CT or 4 MILE JOG

Actual: 30 minutes of upper body strength - sit ups, pull-ups, push-ups and core strength - planks and bridge moves..............NO RUNNING! (I'm currently experiencing the most dreaded word in the running dictionary - an injury).

Day 67 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (21/02/13)

Target: 6 MILE BUILD-UP focused around MP (From 8.10-7.20)

Actual: 30 minutes Go-Karting (okay, okay, I know it can't really be classed as marathon training, but it feels nicer putting this down than that dreaded word 'REST'!

Day 66 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (21/02/13)

Target: 4 MILES STEADY

Actual: 1 minute on the treadmill when testing out my new Asics GT-2000  and a spot of marching on the spot with the physio.........in other words REST again!

Day 69 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (23/02/13)

Target: Rest Day

Actual: 6.29 miles in 56:43 @ 9:01m/m

Day 70 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (24/02/13)

Target: LONG RUN 20 MILES COMFORTABLE (7:50m/m-8:50m/m) – ideally at least half on soft, varied terrain. This was changed to 2hrs 30mins comfortable by Sam due to injury last week and my quad still being tight.

Actual: 18.11 miles in 2:37:17 @ 8:41m/m (actually this has been my longest run of my Paris Marathon training so far!).

Mile Splits: 1st @ 8:26m/m. 2nd @ 8:42m/m. 3rd @ 8:50m/m. 4th @ 8:32m/m. 5th @ 8:39m/m. 6th @ 8:45m/m. 7th @ 8:51m/m. 8th @ 8:57m/m. 9th @ 8:53m/m. 10th @ 8:53m/m. 11th @ 8:51m/m. 12th @ 8:41m/m. 13th @ 8:27m/m. 14th @ 8:41m/m. 15th @ 8:34m/m. 16th @ 8:43m/m. 17th @ 8:43m/m. 18th @ 8:12m/m. Last 0.11 @ 7:13m/m.

TOTAL MILEAGE:

TARGET: 42 MILES

ACTUAL:  31.52 MILES

Now that I’m back running, I’m hoping there should be no more missed training sessions between now and Paris. My thigh injury is clearing up nicely and as long as I respect this when I get tightness, then there shouldn’t be a problem. My knee is stiff again today after yesterday’s 18 miler, but it still feels better than what it has done in the past. I’m hoping with the new exercises the physio has given me, this will continue to improve. The best thing though is that it isn’t getting any worse!

• Hi Ady

Glad the run went well yesterday but as Sarah says, we need to proceed with caution this week. I've taken out the speed reps, and juggled sessions around to delay harder sessions till later in the week. We'll discuss pacing for Surrey Spitfire at the training day. image

Week 11 w/c 25th February
    Monday REST
    Tuesday 5 miles COMFORTABLE
    Wednesday 6 MILE BUILD-UP focused around MP (From 8.10-7.20)
    Thursday 4-5 MILES JOG
    Friday REST
    Saturday TRAINING DAY BIRMINGHAM (4 MILES MP PLUS SOME SHORT SPEED WORK)
    Sunday SURREY SPITFIRE 20 progressive pacing.
    MILEAGE 42

• Hi Malcs

Yep, sore aching legs are an occupational hazard in marathon training. Totally normal. I find that I ache a lot more after road-based runs than off-road ones, which is why I alternate between off-road LSRs and on-road progressive pacing runs. Variety is good and I find recovery from off road is always quicker. Not to mention better views...image

• Hi Sarah physio! Got your work cut out for you this training day.... the rigours of the peak mileage weeks showing for Ady and Steve. I'm sure they're 'looking forward' to seeing you image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks Sam - just to confirm, I'm talking about sore legs during a run not after, in the latter miles of a long run. 

Should I expect the point in a run at which the soreness begins to increase as training progresses or is it something you just have to put up with? At the moment mile 15 is where I really start to feel it. With some more mileage could I expect to be able to get that to mile 20 or beyond?

For the next training day video can you overdub the screaming from the physio room with loud music or something? Nobody wants to hear grown men crying like small children image 

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Sunday 24th February 2013

I really need to start doing my long runs at roughly the same time I will in Paris.......but yet again, a Sunday lie in is just too tempting! That will change next week when I'll be up before 6am for my Spitfire 20 race!

9:30am - Breakfast - Raisin and Cinnamon Bagel with Lurpak spread and Jam. Small bowl of porridge with honey and chai seeds. Cup of tea.

10:45am - Pint of squash

12:00pm - 18.11 mile run (see earlier for full description). 3x  SIS Isotonic Gels (1 every 40 mins), 100ml of water with electrolyte tablet.

3:00pm - Lunch - 2 slices of toast with cheese, large glass of chocolate milk (just to tie me over until the early dinner an hour later and to make sure I ate within 30 minutes of finishing my run).

4:10pm - Dinner - Roast pork, stuffing, roast potatoes, red cabbage with apple, roasted carrots, parsnips and onions. (A much smaller portion for a Sunday roast than what I would normally have!). Pint of squash.

6:00pm - Cup of tea, pint of squash.

7:00pm - Homemade pancake with yoghurt and fresh strawberries, pint of squash.

9:30pm - 2 Lindt Lindor chocolates, pint of squash

11:00pm - Glass of water.

• Xyloid wrote (see)

/members/images/403074/Gallery/20x30-GWAD1540.jpg

/members/images/747712/Gallery/220px-Gorfou_sauteur_-_Rockhopper_Penguin.jpg

Xyloid........it'll be a sad, sad day when your posts fail to make me chuckle. Yet again another humurous addition. It scares me how quickly you came to the conclusion I looked like a penguin and how quickly you were able to find a pciture. It makes me think you've been thinking this for quite a while!

I'm a bit sceptical to be posting any more photos on here now! image

•  

Ruth.......so you mean Pizza is off the menu? image Only joking! I'm more than happy to go somewhere that will suit RRR's requirements. I'm not a fussy eater, so basically anything edible that will be good for my carb-loading works fine for me.

No pizza with a little cheese can very much be on the menu. I just need find an Italian that also does non pasta/bread based food to!

sarah osborne wrote (see)

Ruth can I ask a quick question...just packing my bag for sheffield and my shot blocks from last year and noticed that the sell by/use by date (not sure which one it is) says may and the other one June 2012....how likely are they to cause problems if I took them in feb 2013....do you think they would be fine to use or is it not worth the risk?

Sarah - I would probably use but with my professional hat on you should not ! "Use by"  means you should actually use by this date whereas "best before" means  just that (for example herbs that are past the best before date  will not be as strong etc but not unsafe to eat.

Salmon and baked potato is fine but I would reduce to the salmon to half a portion or less  (and if eating out at restaurant I would avoid fish although shell fish would be a bigger problem as these are one of the most common risk foods for food poisoning/illness) and add a big bowl of cereal or toast & honey/jam before bed. When I talk about carb loading you want to keep the overall calories as low as possible so that means cut out too much protein/fat etc in the couple of days before and replace these calories with extra carbs.

• Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Week 10 Weight Loss Watch!

Starting Weight: 162.8lbs (Target Weight: 148lbs)

Weight After Week 1: 162.2lbs (-0.6lbs) (Xmas Parties!)

Weight After Week 2: 161.9lbs (-0.3lbs) (Xmas!)

Weight After Week 3: 160.7lbs (-1.2lbs) (New Year!)

Weight After Week 4: 159.2lbs (-1.5lbs)

Weight After Week 5: 158.0lbs (-1.2lbs)

Weight After Week 6: 156.2lbs (-1.8lbs)

Weight After Week 7: 155.8lbs (-0.4lbs)

Weight After Week 8: 155.0lbs (-0.8lbs)

Weight After Week 9: 154.4lbs (-0.6lbs)

Weight After Week 10: 153.2lbs (-1.2lbs)

Total Loss: 9.6lbs

Again I'm shocked to have lost so much weight this week, especially considering I went 3 days without running due to injury, have enjoyed a few beers and also the odd chocoltae here and there. Maybe it's just showing that as long as you eat the bad foods in moderation instead of all the time, then you can still lose weight.

I really can't remember the last time when I was weighing in under 11 stone. it must have been at least 6 or 7 years ago if not longer.

I'm now coming up to the two heaviest weeks of my marathon training program and this alone should help see a continued weight loss drop, plus extra training giving by the physio in increasing the strength of my upper legs and glutes. This should bring me back on track of losing 1lb a week on average and getting down to at least 148lbs before race day.  

You deserve this - well done.  I do feel you have made a real effort to show these figures! so just keep the focus and have the odd treat but as you have mentioned in moderation.  See you Saturday and hopefully I will come with some menu's for a couple of restaurants in Paris.

• Malcs wrote (see)

That's very impressive - 18 miles in 2:30! You were quicker than me. I did indeed manage my 20 - up to London then slingshot round Cutty Sark. I had to get up at 5am to run so I was back for my son's rugby. Feeling it a bit now!

Did the first 15 at 9mm and the last at 8mm. Went very well but the last mile or two I was starting to tire. Not sure I would have fancied another 6 miles so I have work to do still. That said, I am very happy to be where I am after starting mid Jan. 

It was more of a minimal hydration strategy this time. I took a 125ml flask with me because I was trying some Perpetuem tablets. They have a bit of protein in them. One of the ultra guys said that he tried taking protein on his long runs and it made a big difference (his runs are longer than mine though). Anyway I needed about 50ml just to wash down the tabs as they are quite powdery. 

How did you find not taking on water then? I have to say, once the weather changes I'll be gulping the stuff down. Today it was nobbling so hardly needed anything - I expect it was the same where you are. 

Question for you (and anyone else): do you find your legs get sore on thes long runs? I don't so much get tired, my legs just get achey, like after exercise kind of achey. Is that normal? Usually starts from 15 miles on. 

Looking forward to Spitfire next week now!

Malcs.......That was a very impressive effort indeed getting up at that time and still managing to do the 20 miles rather than rolling over and falling back to sleep. The streets must have been quiet at that time of the day. More than anything though it makes me see that I can still sneak my long runs in over the weekend and keep the family happy!

I actually felt much more tired on this 18 miler than my last one. I think I would have struggled if I'd tried and done a few MP miles to finish with, especially as my quad was feeling tight still. Seeing that you are several weeks behind me and you've already done a 20 miler is definitely a good sign. I've never heard of taking protein during a long run. I might look into this more for my Ultra later on in the year.

I had no issues at all taking on so little water yesterday, but like you said, I think that was down to the cold. I start taking on a lot more once the temperature rises. I hope it stays below 10 degrees C for Paris, but if it doesn't, I feel I've ran enough in hot weather now to not feel too daunted.

Yes, I know the feeling regarding the aching in the legs. Last year when I started getting into my long runs it started around 13-14 miles. I ran the Thames Meander Marathon last August with little training and started having these aches before halfway. It wasn't my best running experience. I think the more long runs you get under your belt, the longer it will take to have this feeling, or the more you can block out the pain. I'm going to follow Sarah's philosophy next time I start to get tired - run faster and see if this takes me mind away from the aches and pain!

• Malcs wrote (see)

On the hydration one you mentioned that unless the conditions are very hot you shouldn't need Nuun or other electrolyte tabs. You also say that you know if you're a high sweater if you lick your hand and taste salt. On all my marathons I have felt like the sweat was pouring out of me and that was in warm not hot weather. I didn't need to lick my hand to know there was salt there - I could feel the damn stuff! I had patches of white on my face and body. 

I assume this means that I must lose alot of salt - more than the average joe? I've suffered nausea, cramps and spasms on almost all my marathons. The one where it was least bad I used about 2-3 Nuun tabs. Each one has 360mg of Sodium so for 3 tabs that's over 1g of salt. Does it make sense that I should have to take that amount? Should I take less or more? I know you said before that cramps are not likely to be down to hydration but given what I just said about salt loss, does it seem more likely?

Cramps can be caused by a lot of salt loss but as mentioned for most this is not usually the cause but yes in your case it is possible that this is an issue. 2-3 nuun tablets is not too excessive for a marathon if very hot and if this is the best it has been then this may be useful in hot climates for you. Does this still happen to the same extend or at all in colder conditions? At what stage do they usually start?  

• Malc - nuun is a good choice

Lucozade Sport lite: 250mg sodium

Powerade Zero: 250mg sodium

NUUN: 360mg

High Five Zero: 260mg

High Five Salts: 260mg

High five X’treme: 260mg

SIS super hydro: 300mg

• sarah asics pro team wrote (see)

Hi Ady, glad to hear you've had some good advice and things starting to settle. Don't push the speed with your quad let it dictate the pace if you feel it pulling you're running to hard for it still it may take a few more days to allow you to do speed work. Don't forget to ice after each run onto the quad to prevent any further damage. 

Glad the videos helped!!

See you saturday!

Hey Sarah......thanks....I'll certainly let the quad dictate the pace. It's been nice to have the rest day today, as I haven't felt any problems with it at all. I've been putting  heat patches on it overnight as well as the icing. 

I woke up today and my knee was feeling a little stiff and sore again. But unlike previous weeks it felt like a continous unwinding to the stiffness during morning. By lunch time, it had subsided and I was able to climb stairs without any issue. This is definitely an improvement to the last couple of weeks after my long run. Hopefully the rest of the week will continue to see an improvement!

The videos definitely helped - especially the foam roller - I'd been foam rolling pure bone I think until I saw it!

Looking forward to feeling more pain at your hands this Saturday! image

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Hi Ady

Glad the run went well yesterday but as Sarah says, we need to proceed with caution this week. I've taken out the speed reps, and juggled sessions around to delay harder sessions till later in the week. We'll discuss pacing for Surrey Spitfire at the training day. image

Week 11 w/c 25th February
    Monday REST
    Tuesday 5 miles COMFORTABLE
    Wednesday 6 MILE BUILD-UP focused around MP (From 8.10-7.20)
    Thursday 4-5 MILES JOG
    Friday REST
    Saturday TRAINING DAY BIRMINGHAM (4 MILES MP PLUS SOME SHORT SPEED WORK)
    Sunday SURREY SPITFIRE 20 progressive pacing.
    MILEAGE 42

Hey Sam......Thanks for juggling the sessions about. I think my quad is getting back to full fitness now, but like you said, there's no need to rush it back. I'm actually happy that the speed training has been moved from this week. I was a little worried with this and I could imagine myelf tensing up when doing it and causing more damage. 

I'm definitely looking forward to getting my first 20 miler under my belt and putting in my longest week of training so far! 

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Hi Sarah physio! Got your work cut out for you this training day.... the rigours of the peak mileage weeks showing for Ady and Steve. I'm sure they're 'looking forward' to seeing you image

Haha.........I can't wait to feel those fingers digging into my fleshy parts! At least this time I know what's coming and I'm not suffering from tendonitis from the snow!

• RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

Malc - nuun is a good choice

Lucozade Sport lite: 250mg sodium

Powerade Zero: 250mg sodium

NUUN: 360mg

High Five Zero: 260mg

High Five Salts: 260mg

High five X’treme: 260mg

SIS super hydro: 300mg

Thanks for the comments Ruth. I'm happy to see that pizza can still be on the menu, even if it's minus the cheese!

I'm happy to see the weight loss continuing and now 148lbs is almost within sight, I'm starting to think how much further I can go now. Can I even get down to being less than this?

I have used High Five Zero Electrolyte tablets quite a few times recently, mainly because I've had a few freebies left over from a recent marathon expo. I used my last one on my long run yesterday. I'm not entirely sure how much difference they make, but now I think it'll be best to continue using them, more as a superstition that anything else.

• Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Xyloid........it'll be a sad, sad day when your posts fail to make me chuckle. Yet again another humurous addition. It scares me how quickly you came to the conclusion I looked like a penguin and how quickly you were able to find a pciture. It makes me think you've been thinking this for quite a while!

I'm a bit sceptical to be posting any more photos on here now! image

I had just been watching the penguin programme on TV and your arms out at the sides like that just reminded me of the rock hoppers!  It was an added bonus that you were wearing black and white kit!  If I had Malcs skill at photoshop I would have added a bottle in each hand of the penguin to complete the picture, but I don't, so I didn't!

Please don't start refraining from posting pictures of yourself.  All these posts about running malarky are all well and good but nothing beats an opportunity to take the mickey a little bit! image