2 and half year old running

Hi all,

I have been away for a little while and have a question. 1st of April we have Easter themed race. 10k for adults and a 1.2km race for children. Now I was going to do the 10k but I thought that my 2 1/2yr old could do the 1.2km race. Now I know most of you will be thinking this is far too young but she genuinely loves running and walking. She has walked over 2 miles by herself before on many occasions.

If I turn up to a fun run with a 2 1/2 year old am I going to get dodgy looks?? Or would she even be allowed to enter?

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• You'll get a mixture of looks.  Many will find it really fascinating and cute, and you'd be a centre of attention.  But those who know will be wondering what on earth you've put your daughter into such a race for.

Those little legs are simply not ready to take the repetitive pounding of continuous running... and won't be for quite a few years.   IMO.

• Mine did the local cross country league at 2 (ok nearly 3) - she got a big cheer and I didn't notice any funny looks if there were any.  

• Run Wales wrote (see)

You'll get a mixture of looks.  Many will find it really fascinating and cute, and you'd be a centre of attention.  But those who know will be wondering what on earth you've put your daughter into such a race for.

Those little legs are simply not ready to take the repetitive pounding of continuous running... and won't be for quite a few years.   IMO.

The IMO is key here. Do you have any scientific evidence to back it up?  There was a professor of physiology on the radio the other day talking about the lad who wants to run marathons in all continents. He said that although it went against what he thought as a parent, the studies show there is no danger, injury wise, in kids running.

In terms of bone / leg cross section to body weight ratio, children are a lot better off than adults, and there'll be a lot less pounding.

My daughter is 2 and 4 months, and she can run around 400m at the moment. Better to start building that aerobic base now!

• My little boy is just 2 and happily walks a mile to the pub on a saturday morning. When he gets to the door and realises it's shut he bangs on the door and cries.....  I don't think he could run 1.2km but he'd certainly cover the course at one speed or another.

• what is the surface............is there a minimum age for the race.........if you take children to a park with a ball i'm sure they would run much further than that.......so to be honest .. i would be tempted to take her if she want to and let her run.......if she want to stop then just put her on your shoulders and walk the rest............if she want to walk then let her.......as long as she is dictating what she wants to do then it will remain funimage

• I'm concerned about how she will be preparing for this race. I'd encourage her to get out regularly and get some miles under her belt before throwing herself into the race. The minimum I'd expect from her is a commitment to one long run, about 800m, on a weekend, plus a tempo session once a week (say 100m warm up with 200m at threshold pace, and a 100m cool down), as well as some speedwork (e.g. 10x 10second sprints with 5 second recoveries).

Oh, and lots of carbs.

• exactly, she needs to peak around 3 weeks before, at perhaps 1km, then gradually ramp down the weekly mileage. Some light cross training on a push along scooter or a trike would be beneficial during this phase, if she's worried about losing any fitness.

• Agent ginger - Its the speedwork she doesn't like doing at 6am on a wintery morning when I'm dragging her out of bed. So I think after this race we will consider an Ultra because I think its more her speed ;-)

It's a few times round a football field. From what I can see there is no minimum age limit. She will never be able to run it all and even on the day she may not want to do it full stop.

But she just loves running. She see's me going out and she grabs her trainers and I have to run down the road and back with her before I go off for my run.

It's not a case of a pushy parent more the case of I think it will be good fun for her.

• Thats what I thought CC

I'm not pushing her to do anything. In my eyes its no different to doing a Sunday stroll with her but with a bonus of an easter egg at the end image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Run, walk and piggy-back ride is conventional in these cases.

🙂

• I think standing shouting and swearing at her to get a move on is all fair game though image

• chubby bloke wrote (see)

Run Wales wrote (see)

You'll get a mixture of looks.  Many will find it really fascinating and cute, and you'd be a centre of attention.  But those who know will be wondering what on earth you've put your daughter into such a race for.

The IMO is key here. Do you have any scientific evidence to back it up?  There was a professor of physiology on the radio the other day talking about the lad who wants to run marathons in all continents. He said that although it went against what he thought as a parent, the studies show there is no danger, injury wise, in kids running.

In terms of bone / leg cross section to body weight ratio, children are a lot better off than adults, and there'll be a lot less pounding.

My daughter is 2 and 4 months, and she can run around 400m at the moment. Better to start building that aerobic base now!

Well maybe I'm being a bit of a grumpychops. Certainly some funny answers on here (like the tapering advice)

I don't have scientific evidence... hence my care to write IMO.  But UK Athletics do have some recommendations about maximum distances for different aged children.  I can't find it right now, but I was extrapolating what I guess was in that document !

As a one-off event...  I suppose there isn't any great problem. Especially given the reaction of everyone else.    Have fun !

• over the years parents and kids have kicked a football around a pitch for hours..........kids have had to walk to school with their older brothers and sisters.at nearly three they are getting abit big for a pushchair unless they are lazy . ( like my eldest wanted to be )........

we are not talking about about marathons and halfs.we are talking about a fun run of 3/4 of a mile.....as long as the child wants to then i cannot see the problem........image

• My son at 2 year old ran a full mile with his Mum (I was wIth my Nephew and Neice)and no issues afterwards,he was born with Talipes (club foot) so we were advised by his Doctor to go out and enjoy ourselves

The crowd gave hime a great sending off and he loved the attention he got on the day especially the medal (which he tried to eat) and the banana went down a treatimage my advice enjoy it and go and do it

He is now 3 and no long term problems from his mile run image

• My nephew ran a fun run mile race at 3 with his Dad and suffered no ill effects, in fact he really enjoyed it especially the newspaper interview afterwards! He's now 17 and does lots of sport.

Here in Germany there are lots of beginner triathlon races for 5 year olds and up. They are called "Iron Kids"|.

• @ Warkie and Bionic Ironwolf, you're missing the point.

What time did your kids get for the mile?

• My 4 year old had regularly walked and run from an early age, toddlers run everywhere! There is no danger to them, and it should be encouraged if she shows interest. My little boy ran a mile continuously the other day in 16 minutes, then walked a further 1.5 miles. I am of the opinion I'm his Mum & I'll decide if it's right or wrong, he could swim a width of the pool unaided at 2.5 and is brilliant now, go for it! Imagine her face when she gets a medal! Xx
  • Rob Walker 12 wrote (see)

@ Warkie and Bionic Ironwolf, you're missing the point.

He was useless,came in second to last ...its ok he didn't get any Tea that night image

• Rob Walker 12 - you're missing the point.

Times are unimportant when it's kids you're talking about, it's taking part that counts.

Besides - you obviously missed seeing I said it was my nephew, not my kid!

• David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
    Warkie wrote (see)
    Rob Walker 12 wrote (see)

@ Warkie and Bionic Ironwolf, you're missing the point.

He was useless,came in second to last ...its ok he didn't get any Tea that night image

Im not sure why, but I pissed myself laughing at that comment.

I did assume that that Rob was joking image

• David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
    Scottys Princess wrote (see)
     I am of the opinion I'm his Mum & I'll decide if it's right or wrong,

Im not sure the jury would necessarily see things the same way in all circumstances

found a post by david that i agree withimageimage

parents do not always know best  they have to work within the law and common sense.......the well being of the child is the main thing.....