a thread for all new runners who're doing VLM 2013.

1235»

Comments

• Well as long as you're doing appropriate distances at appropriate paces you're fine. I like the structure of a program but you sound like you're doing it right. What sort of pace are you doing?
  • For some reason I am used to mins per km. I did my 17 miles at about 7m per km which must be about 11.5 mn per mile but yesterday's 13 miles I ran first half at 6m40s pace which is an out 10min 15 sec per mile and second half was run a bit quicker at 10min mile pace.

My 6milers tend to be around 10min mile pace but a quick on might be 9m 30sec pace.
  • 16 miles at 9:20 today. bit windy and a pig of a 1:5 hill at 9 miles. but apart from that, pretty good.

into the longer mid week runs this week. bye bye social life....

• StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    Well done Sofaboy good running sounds like you're really ramping up the miles and I take it the ankle is ok?

I'm a bit fed up atm as the ankle niggle I felt during my LSR last weekend hasn't cleared up so I've been resting, RICEing and rollering since Tues. Did a cautious 4ish miles today and it was ok at first but a bit sore again by the end, certainly wouldn't have been up to the 17 miles I was due to do today. Mind you it has been a horribly cold and windy day and 17 miles would have been a bit grim!

Going to carry on with the rehab and pick up on the strength training I was planning to do regularly - but haven't - otherwise my old legs will never make it. Roll on Spring ...
  • cheers Stilts,

yeah, the ankle, whilst it hurt like hell when i did it, seems to not have been as injured as i feared. TBH i didn't even think about it for the first 7 miles or so.

i started out coming up with questions for my charity pub quiz and before i knew it i'd done 5 miles.

that 16 miler used up 2400 Kcal according to endomondo. good to see i don't need to give up the chocolate biscuits....

• I've been lurking in the forums for a few weeks now and my excitement has gotten the better of me as training for this marathon has taken over my life, so thought I should get involved in the forums as I am boring everyone I know with marathon chat.

Training is going well - hard, but strangely enjoyable. There are definitely more than a few sessions that I will remember on race day...

...especially that first 3 mile run after finding out I was in and wheezing all the way home and wondering how was I ever going to manage?

The 5 mile round trip when I was tired and burning the candle at both ends over Xmas that contributed to illness over the festive period.

The 9 miles in the snow when my determination levels kicked in and I genuinely celebrated, arms aloft, when 9 miles clocked up on my watch.

And each long run where I run further than I have ever run before from here on in.

Good luck everyone

• StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    Welcome to Adam and Camberwell. Glad to hear that training is taking over everyone else's life too!

Been a bit grumpy since hurting my lower leg last week but after much foam roller-ing and self massage and all the rest did 4 miles this evening with barely a twinge. Happy days again and looking forward to getting back on track image

Here's to some warmer weather sooooon ...
  • Pounded out 6.5 miles with a heavy pack on my back as am staying at a friends in town tonight. Ran it at 8:30 pace with a nice long, slow stride. Felt great.

Camberwell, i was where you are now, a few months back. The improvement in fitness and the ease with which your do things that you used to struggle with is one of the best things about this new running lark. Enjoy your progress!
  • Thanks Sofaboy - must admit, my progress has shocked me. I wouldn't say I was hugely out of shape before running, but endurance has never been my thing.

Gearing up for a 13 mile LSD tomorrow morning, but have a slight cold and feeling shattered, which has halted my feel good factor.

As part of my training, I am making the runs as scenic as possible and being a football geek, I am ticking off assorted London football grounds on training runs. Tomorrow's run will feature Highbury (a chance for a look at what they did to the old place), a lap of The Emirates, down to the river, down The Mall and then the plod back to deepest darkest SE5.

• Stilts wrote (see)
    Welcome to Adam and Camberwell. Glad to hear that training is taking over everyone else's life too!

Been a bit grumpy since hurting my lower leg last week but after much foam roller-ing and self massage and all the rest did 4 miles this evening with barely a twinge. Happy days again and looking forward to getting back on track image

Here's to some warmer weather sooooon ...

Hey Stilts. I'm going to get a roller to ease soreness and hopefully prevent injury. What roller do you use? I'm thinking to get the Trigger Point roller because I like the sound of the ridges and bumps, but it's a bit expensive compared to the standard foam ones: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trigger-Point-Therapy-Roller-Orange/dp/B003HSJ5A8/ref=sr_1_2?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1360345316&sr=1-2

Got any recommendations?

First real big run tomorrow (well for me anyway). Hoping to do 10 miles, insha-Allah!  Looking to do it in 1hr 40mins, let's see how it goes.

• StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    Hi Kamal, I have a bog standard shorter length blue roller from Amazon - 66Fit (soz cant get the link to go in on the ipad) It does the job a treat. There are loads of vids on Youtube but my best advice was to use it slowly and hold it over a tight (ie painful) spot until the pain diminishes significantly. I use it most days on my calfs, quads and glutes - wouldn't be without it.
  • well it's been a while since anyone was here. how's it going folks? only just over 2 months to go now. anyone crapping themselves yet?

as the runs have got longer i've had a couple of bad ones. a 20 miler last weekend that ended at 18.3 because i stopped for a pee and couldn't get going again. my body just said "no pal, that's enough for today" and refused to do any more. funny thing is, if i'd kept moving i'd have been fine.

and an 18 miler a few weeks back that never felt right from the start, no energy, pace etc which bombed out after struggling for 7 miles. that one was hard mentally.

but in general i'm looking forward to it. fundraising is going well too.

time for a coffee and a couple of ginger biscuits.

• StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you SB. Sounds like you've had a couple of tough runs there. Maybe need a wee rest and reign back for a week or two - there's still plenty of time.

I found the 14 and 15 milers hard going what with the cold weather and niggles. That's all cleared up now and i did a great 17 miles last Sunday in perfect weather. I swam every day last week (free 5 day pass at the local leisure centre) and it didn't half make a difference. Half term this week and a relatively lazy few days at home with my girls. The cold weather is back, not really looking forward to 18 miles on Sunday image

Going to try and swim now a couple of times a week and keep on with the lunges/squats/step up routine I started to do but let slip badly, my little injury has reminded me to respect this distance and give my body all the help it needs!

A good LSR doesn't half give you confidence and last week I found myself thinking 'I can do this' Got a late place in FLeet half 17 March so hoping for a good run and a bit of race buzz. Paddy's Day as well so I'll be flying the flag being Irish.

For now though it's me and littlest one on the sofa with popcorn and Brave (Disney version) on the DVD. I'm sure popcorn is an excellent recovery snack after a bl**dy freezing 8 miles this morning!
  • StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    * I believe that should read rein back lol
  • I've clocked up two 16 milers for my last two long slow distances. This week was meant to be 14 miles according to my training plan (I've found the slightly reduced sessions help cement the ability to cover that distance) but got lost and ended up running an extra 2 miles to get home!

The run itself felt hard in the cold and I thought about distance and pain all the way round. It was a huge mental battle but I was 9 mins quicker than my first time at that distance.

Approaching the hardest spell of training with 18, two 20s and a 22 all on the horizon. I need to win the mental battle for those, that is for sure.

• i did a 20 miler down the gym on saturday as we had horizontal sleet which i didn't really fancy. dear god it was dull. even with a couple of CDs and the wales-italy game. 3H20 on a treadmill is no fun at all.

weirdly i find a TM a lot harder as well. you'd think it would be easier and less impact but i was seriously hurting by the end.

10 mile MWSR tomorrow which should be nice. and then the silverstone 1/2 on sunday where i'll use as a preactice for the first half of the main event.

• Did 18 miles in the Lincolnshire countryside, quite a change from running in and around South and Central London.

Straight roads and miles and miles of fields... often not seeing another soul for 20-30 minute patches.

When I did see other runners, a friendly good morning or hello kept the spirits up.

I must have looked a bit weird bollocking myself when I wanted to jack it in 2 miles early in one of the few residential parts of the run too!

• morning all. been a while.

so, a month to go and my race number and mag arrived yesterday. how are everybody's preparations going?

i did the silverstone 1/2 a few weeks back and used it as a dry run for the fisrt 1/2 of the real thing. went well with a good sub 4H pace. revved up and ready to go for it now.

all these long runs does mean that i can eat more cake, which is good....

• Hi

I have been training pretty hard over winter looking for a sub 5 hr for VLM .

This is my first ever and last marathon as only been running for just over a year managed to get my training up to 23 miles 3 weeks ago but have suffered for it since with colds a knee injury and i am presently sat suffering with cold as I type this.

I must admit its been a journey with all the ups and downs that come with training for a marathon until you have tried it you can't appreciate what you put your body through .

So all being well when I get over that finish line in just over a week it will be the biggest achievement of my life and a great story to tell the grand kids :0)

Good luck everyone