Paris Half Marathon 2013

I've just signed up with a friend, so excited! Anyone else heading over for this?

Comments

• The whole health certificate thing is a little annoying but it's Paris and I love Paris so I'm sure it'll be worth the fuss. Berlin HM requires a certificate too, is this common with European races? Paris HM will be the first 'foregin' race I've done.

• Wahoooo I'm excited to be joining hansyhobs for this! I think it is pretty common to need a certificate, but if you're affiliated you don't need one? Makes joining a club even more appealing just to avoid the hassle and cost! I'm on good terms with local GPs so hope I won't get charged for one.

• I'm hoping I can just make a phone appointment and explain what I need the letter to say. Perhaps naive. Will investigate.

• When I go scuba diving (OK so I know it's totally different) you have to tick all these boxes like 'have you had a heart attack' etc. If you tick yes to any then you need to provide a certificate but if you tick no to everything then that's it, don't understand why you can't do the same for a race. Seeing as I can't remember the last time I went to the GP I bet I'll have to go in for a check up or something, such a waste of time...

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

'Afternoon, all. I'm in for the Half, too. I've done it a few times.

From experience....'Download the Medical Certificate from the website and get it signed AND stamped. It's the French way or no way and the wording has to include the bit they specifically point out.

The course is, basically, flat and is the eastern half of the marathon course. Lots of it is in the Bois de Vincennes.

If you can avoid the baggage-drop, avoid the baggage-drop..image

• Anyone got any decent hotel recommendations? I wanted to stay in mama shelter but all the cheap rooms are gone now image

• Hi guys I have just registered ... my first overseas event - reeeeeeeeeeally looking forward to it. My first post on the forum , great to find you already chatting about it and hope we will be able to share a bit of info on here! Same as you hansyhobs, just need to sort the small matter of somewhere to stay now .. minor detail image!! How are you guys getting over there?

@ATM - re the medical certificate - is the certificate ok in English ?

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Yes, Dave. *They've changed the system this year and will not accept posted or emailed certificates.You have to take it with you when you collect your bib and so have only one chance to get it right.*  Using their pro-forma will save you any hassle and the 'stamped' bit is important. Nearer the date, we'll probably be emailed a ' Confirmation of Registration' letter. They'll want to see this, and your Passport, too.

And you're right, David, being a member of your Home association doesn't exempt you.

I'm not staying near the Start/Finish but hotels around there should be a bit cheaper than in the city centre...and Line 1 takes you right into the centre anyway.

This   is an invaluable tool for planning trips around the place.

• Thanks for the link ATM, hopefully we will catch up on here some more nearer the time!

• I live in Paris (but am British) and Paris HM 2013 will be my first half!  

I'm afraid the doctor's certificate is a feature of any timed race here in France, but they're valid for a year so keep a copy in case you fancy any more French races!  

The route is flat and the Eastern part of the marathon route, starting and finishing in the Bois de Vincennes.  The nearest metro station is Chateau de Vincennes at the eastern end of line 1.  Staying anywhere which connects with Line 1 will have you there within half an hour.  Happy to answer any Paris questions!

• I have to say I'm v tempted by this one. I'm planning to go to Malta for the half marathon the weekend before though! - decisions, decisions...

BTW - I did the Rome Marathon last year and I just sent the form into my docs and he signed it - no charge too image

• yippeeee.... i am really looking forward to this paris half marathon this year as its my first overseas half marathon.... yippppeeee its only 20 days to go.... till i arrive in paris... can not wait heeeeee good luck to all runners who is doing this.... from lorraine and bonnie scotland ha ha

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

jings...3 weeks to go. This has come round fast... Lorraine, I'll be running in my Irn-Bru vest image You'll have a great time. Top Tip: Use a loo in one of the cafes near the Metro stop before you get into the pens.. There are only ever half a dozen portaloos at the Start....ghastly state by the finish...and none on the route.

I'm flying from Glasgow.Anyone else?

• Not long to go. My training took a turn for the worst over Chrsitmas when I badly sprained my ankle but I'm slowly getting back into training. May be hobbling over the finish line but I think I'll be able to just about do it. Getting Eurostar on the Friday.

• We are taking the eurostar on Friday too hansyhobs hoping to head to the park on the Saturday. thanks for more info ATM. Just waiting to sort out the docs certificate then its all systems go!!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

The Confirmation of Registration certificates are now on the homepage. ( This is the thing you have to print off and take to the Expo when collecting your bib. )

I meant to say....If your training has gone better...or worse...than expected, you can change ' pens'...colours...at the Expo. They mark your bib with your new' goal' time so that you can get into the right pen on the Sunday. Head for the desk marked' Litiges', near the bib -collection point.

My training's come to a bit of a halt, 'til I have a molar extracted, Monday.I wish I was the brave-soldier type...

How's everyone else feeling?

• That's the "Convocation" ? Medical certificate is all done, stamped, signed (is in english though- that's going to be ok I hope?!) . The only thing I'm starting to doubt is my grasp of French language if its going to be enough to see me through the registration process! I was feeling pretty confident about "getting by" until the date's suddenly crept up... can't believe how quickly its come round. Fortunately had a bit better weather this way this week so training has been a dream.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Yes, that's it Dave.

The English-version of the Medical Certificate is fine.  (And don't worry about the language.There will be plenty of English-speakers around.) Make a couple of copies...in case you do another French race within a year  and, if you can, scan it and send a copy to yourself on a web-based Mail...just in case you lose the bloomin' thing en route and have to print it off * err, personal experience, here..*

And that's great news about the training.I'm sure you'll have a ball.image

• thanks again ATM your info (+ previous experience) on here much appreciated

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

That's very kind of you, Dave. but you shouldn't encourage me..I'll bury you under unsolicited advice image * The Paris Half was my first Half and I well remember the excitement...* So....

Supporters will find it easy to jump back on Line 1 after the gun and go back down the line to ' Saint Paul'. They will come out right on the course and will be on the runners' left as they run. There's always some entertainment at that point and it's on a busy street...Bastille's good, too, but you  have to agree which side of the road to look for them on..

It's much easier for you to spot your support if they have a flag.Seriously. You won't see French flags...It's amazing , what a lift seeing your own can give you. And consider an ' International' vest..Take advantage of the travelling support and the ex-pats on the route. Then, it's a quick trip back out to the Finish....unless they fancy leapfrogging round the course. That takes a bit more planning.

• We have signed up to get the sms alerts so my partner will have some idea of my timing, but cant find anywhere on the site to say where on the route the points are where the timings/alerts are sent ... anyone else signed up for this?

Saint Paul sounds like the best bet , we can check it out on saturday

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

I haven't , Dave, but I would imagine they're at the time mats..5, 10, 15 and finish.

Here

The time chip is integral to the bib. That made the finish less conjested, last year.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

'just a quick good luck to anyone who might be heading off soon and making a holiday of it. The weather forecast is for a high of 8 degrees and sunny.Perfect. It can be a bit chilly, hanging around at the Start,though, so an old jumper and gloves are handy.

The other thing I thought I'd mention is that French sizing is very much smaller than what I've been used to in the UK. You might want to check that the T-shirt actually fits before you walk away with it.

Good luck, everyone.

• Thanks ATM - have been a little worried about the weather as it's so bitterly cold here at the minute, I think it was even snowing in Paris the other day. But if your forecast is correct then that'll be very nice to run in! Do we get tshirts? I can't even remember... I'm going to pop into the Nike Store on Saturday to see if I can get a 'I Run Paris' top to match my 'I Run London' one image

• hoorah great weather forecast! can't wait!!!!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Yes, I've got Paris Half T-shirts...I think we get them at the Expo but I'm not sure.The full mara' ones are given out at the Finish. Either way, have a good look. I'm a 10 but struggle into the Medium. And I don't remember getting safety pins in the bib envelope, last year.hansyhobs, it might not be 8 til the afternoon..image It's 3 , at the moment. I'm wearing my Irn-Bru top, whatever.