Personal Safety

A frequent running route in use by the Gravesend Cyclopark was in part quardened off a few weeks ago.  I was out running and asked the police officer standing guard of the scene what the problem was and if it was ok access the path.  He replied there had been an incident and that I would be fine continuing my run.  I have now discovered that, 'the incident' was the alledged rape of a female runner and they had taped off the area to look for evidence. 

As a member of the public I feel that I had a right to be informed of the nature of the said incident that day by the policeman.  I feel let down by the police and that my safety is not as important as concealing identities.  If there's a potential uncaught rapist targeting female runners in my area: I want to know immediately, not unofficially a month later!

If any runners affiliated with the police could reply I would really welcome the response, thanks.

Comments

• I thought it might be a policy thing. Thanks. image

• KK is right. Unless they need your help or are looking for witnesses, the police won't tell you anything. 

• They won't tell you anything, even if there IS a safety risk! Last year a police helicopter was hovering very low over our farm for ages, while dog handlers with dogs sniffed round the edges of the fields. I could see them a few fields away, in the distance. I phoned HQ in Glasgow to ask why, and whether there might be any danger - they were hovering right over the cottages of my 80 year old disabled father in law and my daughter in law who was home alone with a small baby. Neither able to defend themselves and both seldom lock their doors. Was told there was 'no danger to members of the public and no cause for alarm' then later found out they were looking for a gang of burglars who had just that morning broken into several local houses, assaulted the homeowners and then escaped across the fields in the direction of my relatives' cottages!

• A while back part of one of my usual routes was cordoned off. The female plod on guard duty was quite happy to explain that it was a crime scene and someone had been knifed.

• Muttley wrote (see)

A while back part of one of my usual routes was cordoned off. The female plod on guard duty was quite happy to explain that it was a crime scene and someone had been knifed.

Have you considered she might have been the attacker in disguise? image