Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    My first marathon was Paris last year and it holds a great many fond memories for me.

Accidental fare dodging on the train from the airport. How was I supposed to know that the Parc des Expositions listed on the ticket machine was not the one I wanted. Thought it was cheap image

Queuing for 90 minutes to get into the expo on the Saturday to pick up my number.

Meeting up with Tricky, Sean B and Chownsie (and most of his family) in the evening.

Words of wisdom from Tricky - "the last 6 miles will hurt but we don't do it because its easy!"

Standing in the pens looking down the Champs ??lys??es at the mass of runners.

Bumping into 2 of the Asics 26.2 runners in the pen.

...and they're off - and people were immediately running into the trees for a pee.

Running past absolutely stunning buildings that I had seen before but never from the middle of the road.

Pedestrians crossing the road by weaving in and out of runners - I saw an entire cricket team carrying their kit crossing the road. There's video footage of a woman pushing a pram across the road.

The supporters. I wear a Union Flag vest with my name on it and the shouts and encouragement really kept me going.

Meeting Dannir, for the first time, at about 12 miles. He just came over and introduced himself, what a nice man.

The tunnels - people shouting, cheering, peeing behind pillars - and the long 'hill' on the exit ramp.

Running past the Eiffel Tower (don't forget to look)

Cramp, cramp and more cramp.

Running past the Powerade station and feeling my feet sticking to the floor due to spilled sticky stuff.

The bands - from rock n roll to Post Horns, from Salsa to the Frontrunners (amazing)

Mrs O at mile 25. This was Radar Sal's brilliant idea. Mrs O had been hopping around the city and meeting me at key points but this last one really kept me going - Tricky had been spot on, I was hurting. She was carrying a small Union Flag, which she gave to me, and she jogged with me until just before the finish.

The finish. You know it's coming but it sort of sneaks up on you. The crowd are cheering, shouting your name - I got name checked by the announcer - and then you cross the line. I had a daft smile on my face which didn't go away for days.

Meeting Mrs O again at the Arc de Triomphe.

The ministry of silly walks, as people head down the steps into the metro.

Steak and Chips in a small cafe near the hotel. It was probably awful but it tasted great.

Corcorrans!!! At first we thought we'd been stood up but we hadn't realised that there was a downstairs. We were wearing green ribbons, at ATM's suggestion, and someone asked us if we were from Runners World and pointed us downstairs - we bumped into ATM and Radar Sal on our way downstairs and then the fun really started image

At this point I didn't even know my time. My watch had run out of charge half way through and I hadn't been able to get on line to check it. Once I found out, Radar Sal informed me that she had beaten me - very loudlyimage but I was still chuffed.

I think Paris will always be special for me, these are just some of the reasons.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Ah, trawling the upstairs of Corcoran's with Radar Sal... 'We're looking for some guys we met on an online forum '..I wonder if the ' Yorkshire Randoms' we lured downstairs, too, are running again?

Orbutt's dead right. As soon as you leave the Bois de Boulogne, you're pratically on the Finish straight. It's a sudden shock...to leave the green of the park and hit the final cobbles. It's the widest avenue in Paris and it's quite a sight. Don't forget to look up and enjoy the sight of the Arc de Triomphe.image Triomphe will be the word -of-the-day..

* pass the sick bag , Alice*

Seriously, it's a great moment.

• Trevor Olver wrote (see)

Thought as much Jimbob. I'm not the smallest of people myself and when I started running I had to wear lycra undershorts to prevent my legs rubbing together. Thankfully I have managed to lose some of the weight and dont have that issue anymore. Sill ghostly white though!

No idea how much I weigh but losing almost 20kg must make you feel amazing.

i've lost 21kg since last easter (piggin out on all the kids chocolate!) 96.7kg to 75kg. I do feel alot better about myself in many ways! my previous lifestyle was not sustainable.

• Well I am well and truly excited now.

• The Jimbob wrote (see)
     I do feel alot better about myself in many ways! my previous lifestyle was not sustainable.

Kudos for not just recognising that, but for making the change.  Too many people know it, but do nothing about it.  You're an inspiration Jimbob.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Talking abour sustanabilty Jimbob I see the lead car at the Paris Marathon will be the electric Nissan Leaf.

Congrats on the weight loss- you are less than me now!

• Well done Jimbob.

My Dad just told me I'm nearly 40 and shouldn't be doing this type of stuff at my age. I replied 'on my online forum............'

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Orbutt - Thats a brilliant overview of your Paris experience. Unfortunately my wife cant make it for the marathon as she has to work on the Saturday but she will be flying over Sunday evening so we can have a few days in Paris and celebrate my 30th. Will have to do another marathon so she can cheer me on image

• SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

After reading Orbutt's post I just can't wait to get started. Was feeling pretty down about my training not going so well (just spent 10 days in bed with the flu) but now my heart is beating faster and I can't wait to go.

• I remember waiting under l'Arc with green ribon in 2010. I met someone, but can't remember who did I meet?
  • Every time I see my Gran she tells me I'm ruining my health, my legs, my joints etc. I have a child to think about it now etc etc. To answer that I showed her a program about Fauja Singh who was even older thant she is now when he took on running
  • Let's not forget the pre-race meetup under the Arc

/members/images/698298/Gallery/arc.jpg

• I can't top those stories Jimbob, Orbutt, but I remember hitting the big roundabout just before the finish and was running right next to the crowd. A rather attractive French woman shouted my name and gave me a big smile. As I came up the finish straight, it suddenly hit me what I'd achieved (it's a long story - ask me in Corcorans if you've got an hour to spare. Short version is I used to be a 17st, 20-a-day smoker - the kind of person rather attractive French women don't generally smile at) and I got so choked up I couldn't breathe and almost had to stop yards from the finish.

SP - good to hear you're back on your feet - 10 days sounds rough.

• SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

These are great stories - and thanks Weedy. Yes, it was pretty rough. I'm sure it was man-flu because I thought I would never feel better again.... ever. Rose from my sick bed on Friday, went for a disastrous run on Sunday. Yesterday's run was slightly better, now I just have to balance the need to recover with the need to train!

• After last year's race, looking for food, only one person wears their medal - and reminds me several times that she beat me image

/members/images/698298/Gallery/Paris1_2.jpg

• See..   this is what its all about...  its all about the people...  image

• Dannirr, I've emailed the orgnisers of the Run Across Georgia with some logistical questions....   260 miles over 5 days solo sounds fun to me...  and the timing would be good too...   

• That's true, it's the people that had me signing up again this year. Looking at the pictures Dannirr has put up I can't wait to get back.

I also did the upstairs in Cochranes thing last year, until someone pointed out there was a downstairs area where everyone was hiding.

• Dark Vader wrote (see)

See..   this is what its all about...  its all about the people...  image

IT IS ALL ABOUT THE PEOPLE - I'M FEELIN THAT LOVE NO MORE THAN RIGHT NOW image (as the endorphins are in full flow after my 45 min 6 mile sprint/jog round Regents park)

I'm fine tuning myself for my half on Sunday. Planning to treat it as a training session but not a "Long Slow" training session. (unless my tired body tells me otherwise when i wake up on Sunday morning).

Where's Megs11? want to chat to you about meeting on Sunday?

Weedy? that is a cool story dude. You transformed yourself from the brink of slobdon into a finely tuned running machine as well as a funny man with witty photoshopping skills.

JB73 - yer in yer prime mate! 

All Hail my Idols of running - Paula, Mo, Seb Coe and Fauja Singh! (and Forrest Gump)

• All these stories are the reason that despite not being able to run marathons at the moment, and missing this race for the first time in 5 years, I'm still driving down to be there and join in the fun.

So a MASSIVE THANKS to the threader who is letting me kip down on their sofa bed. I'll be there on Saturday to organise the pasta meal (do you think we can find one time and all eat together this year?), and I'll try to organise the entourage of supporters you are bringing along so there is at least one or two points in the race where we see everyone.

It would be a bit of icing on the cake if i could maybe run kms32-40 and provide someone with 'rolling encouragement'?

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

James, wi, I just love it that your rellies think you are killing yourselves. My mum has been telling me the same each year I say I'm doing another one.

Great, great stories - I want to do Paris now! image

DV - out of interest, when you do these crazy long runs are you so used to the mileage that you don't feel the pain or do you still get it but mentally block it out?

By pain I mean leg soreness - the sort us mere mortals might get 3/4 of the way into a long run (well I do anyway).

• TD - One place for the meal sounds like a good plan to me. It would be great to have everyone who wants to meet up for a pre-race meal all in the one place this time.

• DV - crew support, vehicles etc will come from your Alanta family. Or, it can be done as a relay and I can recruit a few more....
  • Orbutt wrote (see)
    My first marathon was Paris last year and it holds a great many fond memories for me.
    Accidental fare dodging on the train from the airport. How was I supposed to know that the Parc des Expositions listed on the ticket machine was not the one I wanted. Thought it was cheap image
    Queuing for 90 minutes to get into the expo on the Saturday to pick up my number.
    Meeting up with Tricky, Sean B and Chownsie (and most of his family) in the evening.
    Words of wisdom from Tricky - "the last 6 miles will hurt but we don't do it because its easy!"
    Standing in the pens looking down the Champs ??lys??es at the mass of runners.
    Bumping into 2 of the Asics 26.2 runners in the pen.
    ...and they're off - and people were immediately running into the trees for a pee.
    Running past absolutely stunning buildings that I had seen before but never from the middle of the road.
    Pedestrians crossing the road by weaving in and out of runners - I saw an entire cricket team carrying their kit crossing the road. There's video footage of a woman pushing a pram across the road.
    The supporters. I wear a Union Flag vest with my name on it and the shouts and encouragement really kept me going.
    Meeting Dannir, for the first time, at about 12 miles. He just came over and introduced himself, what a nice man.
    The tunnels - people shouting, cheering, peeing behind pillars - and the long 'hill' on the exit ramp.
    Running past the Eiffel Tower (don't forget to look)
    Cramp, cramp and more cramp.
    Running past the Powerade station and feeling my feet sticking to the floor due to spilled sticky stuff.
    The bands - from rock n roll to Post Horns, from Salsa to the Frontrunners (amazing)
    Mrs O at mile 25. This was Radar Sal's brilliant idea. Mrs O had been hopping around the city and meeting me at key points but this last one really kept me going - Tricky had been spot on, I was hurting. She was carrying a small Union Flag, which she gave to me, and she jogged with me until just before the finish.
    The finish. You know it's coming but it sort of sneaks up on you. The crowd are cheering, shouting your name - I got name checked by the announcer - and then you cross the line. I had a daft smile on my face which didn't go away for days.
    Meeting Mrs O again at the Arc de Triomphe.
    The ministry of silly walks, as people head down the steps into the metro.
    Steak and Chips in a small cafe near the hotel. It was probably awful but it tasted great.
    Corcorrans!!! At first we thought we'd been stood up but we hadn't realised that there was a downstairs. We were wearing green ribbons, at ATM's suggestion, and someone asked us if we were from Runners World and pointed us downstairs - we bumped into ATM and Radar Sal on our way downstairs and then the fun really started image
    At this point I didn't even know my time. My watch had run out of charge half way through and I hadn't been able to get on line to check it. Once I found out, Radar Sal informed me that she had beaten me - very loudlyimage but I was still chuffed.
    I think Paris will always be special for me, these are just some of the reasons.

Well, this has just increased my excitement about 20 fold! If I wasn't sold on Paris before I'm sure I would be now.

20 miler yesterday, followed by a nice walk around london, jumping around a lot at a gig and a late night; suprisingly my legs feel pretty good right now.

• whos got the list of all of us / bib numbers / pens etc? - how many on there? will we all fit into one place? - i hope so!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I'm going to ask a favour - on the sunday - is there anyone near the finish or near the pub that I can drop my bag off with the morning of the race. My hotel wont give me a later check out to go back and showered - so i'm looking for other opportunities. There's beer on offer image

• i'm in a similar boat Emmy.  travelling back to OOK on the 8.30pm Eurostar so prepared to camp out in a pub all day, but would love the opportunity to freshen up. i too will happily provide beer. Anyone who's considering helping one of us, please accomodate Emmy before me, i can make do. I'll have to just use this drop dead gorg devilishly handsome super smile to divert people away from my grimey/smellynessimage 

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

I'll have to just use this drop dead gorg devilishly handsome super smile...

I only heard thatimage

My other option is to leave everything in the bag drop and then just pick it up - both would work. I'll be taking the stinky train back to Brussels on Sunday night

• My brother in law suggested we travel back on sunday night. I said, first marathon, no beer all weekend, you're having a laugh. I'm getting plastered.

• good title for a song that

"takin the stinky train back to brussels"