Broken Garmin FR60

I was given a Garmin FR60 in February 2011 for my 40th birthday - I thought was great and did the job.  In July 2011 the mouled strap broken. I returned it to Garmin who promptly replaced it as it was within the warranty.  I was then given a new warranty for the replacement watch.  Fourteen months later (September 2012) the strap broke again on the new watch.  I called Garmin and was told that as it was outside of the 12 months warranty, they would only mend it for a fee.  I left it at that and glued the strap back on every few days to use it (it kept breaking off).  Now it will not glue on at all.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, not having a useable watch, I've been getting pretty peed off. I returned the watch to Garmin last week stating that I have an unusable product costing £130 which broke just after a year of getting it.  Something I do not feel acceptable.  When I spoke with their Customer Services today they said they would replace it for £30 with an identical watch.  That's a fair offer I suppose but as I said to the operative, I'll be returning it for a replacement within 12 months as the strap is guaranteed to broke.  Can I also note here that I wore the watch 24 hours a day and just about never removed it, hence the break cannot be wear and tear.

As I am not happy with their offer, I was advised to write to their Consumer Relations Department to resolve the issue.  I have stated that I am happy to pay to change the watch to an alternative without a moulded strap.

Am I being completely unreasonable?  Has anyone on here had any similar issues or resolved not so straight forward issues with Garmin?  I don't think I am expecting too much but any of your opinions would be appreciated.

I'm just off to post the second letter now!!!

Comments

•  

Liz EE wrote (see)

Can I also note here that I wore the watch 24 hours a day and just about never removed it, hence the break cannot be wear and tear.

How is this not wear and tear.. surely you've been wearing it over and beyond its use?

• Fair comment Carrie.  What I meant was that the watch was not taken on and off my wrist, hence there was no reason for the moulded strap to have weakened through being flexed (as would normally happen).  I think it would have broken alot sooner had I been taking it on and off between runs.

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    I think that wearing it 24 hours a day definitely constitutes wear; however, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a watch strap to last longer than a year... Apparently the strap breaking and paint peeling off the face are two common problems with the FR60... I think the FR70 was supposed to address these issues. I think Garmin products are great when they work but I've seen quite a few posts from people who have experienced problems with them... Enough to make me think twice about buying another Garmin product. I'd be interested to know what the failure rate is with their products... It could just be that most people buy Garmin and that's why that brand appears to have the most problems.
  • Why would you wear a watch 24 hours a day? You wear it to bed?
  • XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Cinders -- Once again the most obvious question is the one I didn't think to ask image
  • Thanks for the replies.  Yep, I wear a watch to bed, is this strange?  I chose the FR60 as it was small and as 'normal' looking as I could find, knowing I would not want to take it on and off.

Taxi Driver - surely the strap would have broken an awful lot sooner if I was taking it on and off every time I ran (4 times per week), as may be suggested as it is a sports watch?  I don't think it would possibly have lasted past 3 months!!  And yes, the paint peeled from the front within 4 weeks.

I mentioned to the support centre that surely this must be a known problem as it had happened to me twice and he said no!  I'll be watching the post over the next few days to see what they decide to do.

What would you do?  Pay £30 for a replacement which is going to break again (hopefully within 12 months) or just accept that a product costing £130 is no longer useable?

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure that the strap breaking on the FR60 is a problem known to Garmin... Ask them why they bothered to produce the FR70, as the only difference, I believe, between that and the FR60 is the strap and the face... They are functionally identical. I have an FR60 but only wear it for running... I appear to have been fortunate as the strap has never broken... As most people these days have a mobile phone, which can provide the time, I find the wearing of everyday watches to be a bit odd... But perhaps that's just me.
  • 3 Garmins FR60's with broken straps after a year (ish) - 2 have been replaced and just strated to break on the replacement.

• Has anyone seen the flashing AHO2.700 0000 AID2.200 0000 error after a battery change on the FR60 and any idea how to sort it out? My FR60 came out of warranty last year with normal use.  Have changed battery once before with no issues.  This time I put the new battery in only to be faced with this issue.  Reset does not do anything, just keep getting this flashing error message.  Very frustrating after spending circa £100 on a watch with HRM and footpod only to be stuck without it working under 2 years down the line...When buying the watch I read about strap issues, but this has not been an issue for me, instead seem to have the flashing error message of death...PLEASE HELP!!!  Garmin staff who read this...your feedback is very welcome...

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭

I know that when you change the battery in the footpod or the HR strap you need to leave the old one out for 30-60secs so that it sees a proper reset.

In reference to the OP, I've had my FR60 3 years only wearing it 3-4x a week. It doesn't feel good if I have it at the right notch when I start running as my wrist swells. 

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Not got an FR, just thought Id give a different experience of a Garmin product and their customer services.

I've had a 305 for 6 years, used most days and never missed a beat. Thought I had an issue but turned out to be the charging cradle.

my wife had a 110. Out of warranty one of the buttons crumbled away (weird). Sent it off to Garmin who sent back an FOC refurbished model a week later. 

So my experience, couldn't fault them.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • How much does a replacement strap cost?

• So overall you've had 2 years, and for ??30 will get one which will last another year or so. Not ideal but not exactly a rip off.

I guess buy another brand or one with a replaceable strap which most now have i guess as a result of the fault. But you've got two years as they have already replaced it once, so yes it isn't a great design but it was guaranteed a year and with the free replacement you've got over double that now.

Mind you, searching online new old stock ones are under ??40
  • A quick search on Fleabay for garmin fr60 watch only turns up refurbed women's units for £20.

• I have a garmin fr60. My strap is fine after three years. But the watch itself has broken twice - just displays an error message. The first time it broke , just after the warranty had expired, I contacted garmin who said they would replace the inner watch piece for  £50 ( if I remember correctly). 18 months on and it has broken again, displaying the same error message. But this time I found a used refurbished one on eBay for £15. sounds too good to be true, as the original cost me £150. I wait with anticipation to see what it looks like and how it performs when I receive it.