The Road to Paris - On a Plateau - Asics Target 26.2 Training

Comments

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Hi Ady

Got to rush out for coaching session in a mo, but just wanted to say how pleased I am that your knee and quad issues seem to be on their way out. Just in time, huh?! image See you Saturday bright'n'early! I bet everyone brings flasks this time, after the coffee debacle last time! I could do - am styaing in hotel the night before but could always make a fresh brew in the morning....

Looking forward to seeing you Saturday as well Sam. I'm far more stingy than what's good for me and will be getting up well before the crack of dawn to catch a train to Birmingham. I'll make sure to stock up on coffee on the way up! 

I'm looking forward to the training session as well.....half the run with a Garmin, half without one. It'll be fun to see how well I can keep to my marathon pace without looking at my wrist every few minutes. It'll be good practice if the worst happens and my Garmin dies on the streets of Paris!

• sarah osborne wrote (see)
    Thankyou Ady. I have been doing my long runs between 30-50 min/ml slower than my MP. I will probably try to keep it at the slower end on fri to allow my legs to recover better for the race on Sunday.

Belvoir is in Leicestershire. Took us 90 mins to get there from Maltby. I do tend to travel a distance to my races from York, but there normally closer to my parents in Sheffield. The running club im in have a few favourites which involve a weekend away e.g isle of skye in June which I like to do.

Glad that your knee and quad is better and that your back on form. Good luck for sunday.

Nice pic Paulo...keep them coming!

Hey Sarah.......I think we do our long runs at more or less then same pace then. My last long run was about 50 secs/ mile slower than my MP pace. 

The Isle of Skye run sounds like fun. I imagine it's a windy run as well for some reason? 

The majority of the runs I do are in maybe an hour of where I live maximum. But I always try and go somewhere new each year to run. I think Mrs. Shady Ady gets sick of having holidays away that include running a marathon. I've promised her though that after South Africa this summer, the new few holidays will revolve around what she wants to do and where she wants to go. I can see some beach holidays on the horizon! image

• Paulo83 wrote (see)
    Glad to hear ur on the mend. I was given the all clear to get back out there on Monday. Iv just done a 2, 4 and 6 miler this week. All very slow. The calf is feeling ok but not good so think I will just keep going with these short slow runs for now and forget about doing anymore speed work before the big day! Think I'm likey to to more damage than improve if I do any more fast sessions.

I asked a physio friend of mine about KT tape and she said it should be applied by someone that's had training in it as it should be applied at the correct tension and in the correct position. Has anyone tried applying it themselves and had any results?

Nice to see you back running as well Paulo. I'm hoping your calf will be like my quad. I found it tough running with it at the weekend and couldn't go fast at all. But then by the middle of this week I was having no complaints at all and it weas business as normal!

I've heard mixed results about KT Tape. I know the official KT Tape website has videos showing how to apply it. If I was injured and was struggling to get fit before race day, I'd definitely consider using it. I'd just be worried that by using it, I'd end up running through an injury when really I should be resting instead.

Will you be doing  along run this weekend? Are you just going to wait and see how the calf is?

• Barry B wrote (see)

Paulo - If you check out the official KT site there are instructional videos on how to apply for various injuries/support, I have been using KT tape for a while for my calf which has caused me problems in the past.  It was doing the job until Wokingham HM a couple of weeks ago, during the race it was OK but ever since it's been giving me problems and has curtailed my running temporarily just x training.  Now invested in some 2XU compression calf guards.

Hey Barry...........I'm sorry to hear your calf has been causing you problems. Will you continue to try and use the KT tape, or will you wait now until you can run without it and your calf stops giving you trouble? What cross-training are you doing? Normally when I cross train I focus on cycling as at least then I think my legs are still getting some kind of workout. Plus I've heard that cycling can be beneficial to running (but not the opposite way around?).

What are 2XU compression calf guards? I've nver heard of these before? I wear compression socks, but that's more out of superstition than anything else. 

I hope the recovery is speedy.

• Ksizzlepod wrote (see)

Hi Ady

Glad to hear that your injury free now and over the niggles. Well done on the continued weight loss. 

I just thought that a 20 week plan would allow for any missed sessions if illness or injury strikes. It also gives me more room to play around with different sessions I want to incoporate. 

Thanks Sam. A quick question, as I am going to start my training sooner what would you recommend the first weekly long run be at?

I think you are doing the right thing in using a 20 week plan instead of 16 weeks. Up until this Paris marathon I've never religiously followed a plan before. I know now this has been a huge mistake. As I've sufffered from a few niggles here and there and missed a few days of training because of it, there's less pressure doing 20 weeks if this happens. Plus if it's your first marathon it means you manage to get a few more long runs in before the big day as well.

When does the 20 week plan start for you?

• Day 74 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (28/02/13)

Target: 4-5 mile jog (9:00m/m-10:00m/m)

Actual: 5.24 miles in 48:05 @ 9:11m/m

Mile Splits: 1st @ 10:09m/m. 2nd @ 9:32m/m. 3rd @ 8:51m/m. 4th @ 8:58m/m. 5th @ 8:43m/m. Last 0.24 @ 7:49m/m

Due to my recent injury, today's original interval speed session was replaced with an easier jog. For the first time in weeks I had company on my training run today. It's always nice to run with a friend and it was well worth running a little slower with them for the first lap, than being all by myself as per usual. It does make the time pass quicker as well when running with someone.

As my friend was only running two miles, I changed my normal course and made a two lap course. I enjoy my easy runs. I get the miles in and I can do it feeling relaxed. It's almost like a rest day as I never feel fatigued or tired after my recovery jogs.

Apart from nattering away for the first two miles until my friend returned back to work, there was little of interest in the run in the second half. I speeded up towards the end (faster than what I should have been running at) only because I was desperate for the toilet and needed to get back to the office before I wet myself.

Rest tomorrow and then a busy weekend of running with the Birmingham training day on Saturday and then Spitfire 20 on Sunday. With this coming up, there will be no feelings of guilt with not running tomorrow!

Here's my run from today:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/278704893

• "Dinner - Chicken curry with rice, mango chutney, naan bread, poppadom, 2 bottles of Old Speckled Hen ale (all part of the free spread put on by my company at our darts tournament)." sat here with a glass of prosciutto smiling to myself, feeling less guilty!

Ive only done isle of skye once before (just under 2 years ago). It was my second half marathon after only running for 6 months. It was an extremely warm and sunny day with little wind (but it was windy the rest of the time). Its a hilly but gorgeous course. Skye is just amazing. We didnt make it up there last year but we have just booked for this year. Our plan is to stay in skye for a couple of days and then go to Harris and Lewis. Luckily Chris quite enjoys going away with the running club at the moment and as I pay I get no complaints! Im off to france in a couple of weeks to meet up with the RC in the town thats twinned with Maltby. A 9 mile race is thrown in for good measures! Hopefully we are then going to Palermo in November for their half and to visit my family.

What are your plans in South Africa? Chris was saying that he wants to go to Africa again ? South Africa this time. I dont know if I would be able to cope if I went on another christopher (beach) holiday....good luck!!!

Whats your plans for sunday?
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Hey Malcs.............With your new trainers and increasing mileage, it sounds like you'll manage Sunday's 20 miles with ease. Do you know what pacing you'll be doing for this? I'm interested to see wht Sam prescribes for me at training day this Saturday.

I'll be catching the train from Woking to Godalming. Well when I say train.....I'll be catching the replacement bus service from Woking to Godalming, and then the plan is taking a taxi from there to Dunsfold airfield and the start. If your happening on passing through Godalming trian station on your way to the start and fancy picking up  a helpless runner, then your charity would be gratefully received. image Thanks very much for your offer. But if you aren't then don't worry about going out of your way. I'm sure there will be a few other runners arriving at the station so I can just catch a lift with them to the start. It might be easier to do this as I think by bus gets to Godalming about 7:30 or so.

Regarding the long run, it's definitely something I will try in future marathon training plans. During some midweek runs of this training plan I've gone up to over 9 miles, so it wouldn;t be that much difference to be honest. I presume 10 miles can be classed as a medium long run!

Ah ok - I'm coming from the M23 which is the other direction. I don't think I'd get there until after 8 anyway so probably easier if you stick to plan A. If you get into trouble though I'll PM you my number.

As for pace, I'm also waiting to see what Sam has in store for you. Hopefully it will be something I can keep up with. If it was me on my own I'd probably do the first half around 9mm pace and then a progressive 2nd (are you listening to this Sam?...hint hintimage).

I hope this hamstring niggle of mine doesn't get in the way. I ran a little 4.5 miler on it today and it was still a bit tight so I'll be on the roller and doing plenty of stretches tomorrow and Saturday. I'm sure nothing is damaged, it's just tugging a bit at the back of the knee.

10 Miles definitely counts as an MLR in my book. 9-13 miles is what I'm going by, although I've yet to reach 13. 

Really looking forward to Sunday now. Had a chat with DS2 earlier and he should get there about the same time as me (8-8:30 ish). He's planning on going off at 7:45 pace. I told him we'd wave him off! image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Just been on google maps and seen that it's only 15 mins from Godalming to race HQ. I could get to Godalming for 8 if that's any use to you but 7:30 is going to be tight. I'll PM you and we can talk more.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I got a decent run in this morning feeling easy (9.26 miles in 7:57mm). I can tell I have had a couple of lightesh weeks because my legs have felt the benefit of the extra rest days.

Still not sure what pace to run at though. I know it will be progressive but having had this cold I don't want to run out of legs towards the end. I'm edging towards 8mm at the start and then increase pace by 15 secs per mile each 5 miles.

Lets hope the weather holds out and we have a cool but not cold morning and some sunshine and no rain!

Alex isn't there now so it is just the three of us. Look forward to seeing you both.

• Good luck you three for sunday image

• Thanks Barry B. I will check those videos out. How have you found the compression gear?

Ady- I'm not sure if i'll be doing a long run this weekend. Think I will head out tomorrow at a slow pace and just see how it goes. Will try and do a route the doesn't ever go too far from home so that I can head back if it causes any trouble. Good luck this weekend.
  • Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Wednesday 27th February 2013

If you put all my food diaries next to each other, I think 99% of people will have fallen asleep by the third page...........there's a lot of similarities day by day. At least today's had a few extra's in thanks to my company darts tournament. In good old Andy Fordham style, you can't play darts without enjoying one or two bottles of illicit brew!

6:50am - Breakfast - Fruit & Fibre Cereal w/ Semi-Skimmed Milk.

9:00am - Cup of tea, bottle of water

11:15am - Banana, bottle of water

12:00pm - 6.21 mile run in 47:24 @ 7:38m/m (see separate post for full description)

1:15pm - Lunch - Couscous with cucumber, radish, tomato, mange tout and Italian dressing. Bottle of water. Definitely not enough substance after today's run!

2:30pm - Clementine, cup of tea, bottle of water

3:30pm - Packet of Quavers (took the healthy option after putting down the McCoys!), Medium Costa Hot chocolate

7:30pm - Dinner - Chicken curry with rice, mango chutney, naan bread, poppadom, 2 bottles of Old Speckled Hen ale (all part of the free spread put on by my company at our darts tournament).

9:00pm - Pint of squash, yoghurt, 1x Lindt Lindor chocolate

10:30pm - Pint of water

Would like a little more protein in between breakfast and evening meal even a wee glass of milk (150-200ml) with lunch post run but this is being picky.

A banana would have filled you up more than a packet of quaversimage

Evening mealimage!

Not going to see you tomorrow but enjoy the day and race well Sunday! Use race morning breakfast that you have in Paris.

• Malcs wrote (see)

Just been on google maps and seen that it's only 15 mins from Godalming to race HQ. I could get to Godalming for 8 if that's any use to you but 7:30 is going to be tight. I'll PM you and we can talk more.

Looking forward to it! I'll let you know tomorrow when I'm given my pacing targets for race day! I've got your number now so I'll let you know if I have any problems!

DS2 wrote (see)

Hi Guys,

I got a decent run in this morning feeling easy (9.26 miles in 7:57mm). I can tell I have had a couple of lightesh weeks because my legs have felt the benefit of the extra rest days.

Still not sure what pace to run at though. I know it will be progressive but having had this cold I don't want to run out of legs towards the end. I'm edging towards 8mm at the start and then increase pace by 15 secs per mile each 5 miles.

Lets hope the weather holds out and we have a cool but not cold morning and some sunshine and no rain!

Alex isn't there now so it is just the three of us. Look forward to seeing you both.

Hey DS2.......looking forward to seeing you on Sunday, but like Malcs said, I might have to wave you off at the start and hope you you're still at the finish when we arrive there. I like the idea of 15 second increments every 5 miles.  If I did that though I know I'd find it hard to start at 9m/m and stay there for the first 5 miles!

It looks like it's going to be perfect running weather......cool, cloudy and cold! Perfect. I'm looking forward to runnig an undulating course as well. It'll be a contrast to Dorney Lake and a bit more of a challenge.image

I'll probably have to wear my Asics/ Runnersowlrd t-shirt for the race, so it wont be too hard to pick me out. I'll be the only person there with his name emblazened across his chest!

Malcs has been kind enough to pick me up from Godalming station, so I think we should arrive there sometime after 8. See you on Sunday image.

• sarah osborne wrote (see)

Good luck you three for sunday image

Thanks Sarah.........it should be fun meeting up with Malcs and DS2. I'm looking forward to the course as well. Whatever I'm given to race it, I think the last 5 miles will be a challenge to say the least. I can't wait to get my first 20 miler of Paris marathon training under my belt though.

Paulo83 wrote (see)
    Thanks Barry B. I will check those videos out. How have you found the compression gear?

Ady- I'm not sure if i'll be doing a long run this weekend. Think I will head out tomorrow at a slow pace and just see how it goes. Will try and do a route the doesn't ever go too far from home so that I can head back if it causes any trouble. Good luck this weekend.

Hey Paulo......sorry to hear you might not be able to get your long run in this weekend, but I think you're being very sensible about it. Like Sarah said to me - let the injury dictate the pace and run. Hopefully it'll hold up better than you are expecting.

• RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)
    Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Wednesday 27th February 2013

If you put all my food diaries next to each other, I think 99% of people will have fallen asleep by the third page...........there's a lot of similarities day by day. At least today's had a few extra's in thanks to my company darts tournament. In good old Andy Fordham style, you can't play darts without enjoying one or two bottles of illicit brew!

6:50am - Breakfast - Fruit & Fibre Cereal w/ Semi-Skimmed Milk.

9:00am - Cup of tea, bottle of water

11:15am - Banana, bottle of water

12:00pm - 6.21 mile run in 47:24 @ 7:38m/m (see separate post for full description)

1:15pm - Lunch - Couscous with cucumber, radish, tomato, mange tout and Italian dressing. Bottle of water. Definitely not enough substance after today's run!

2:30pm - Clementine, cup of tea, bottle of water

3:30pm - Packet of Quavers (took the healthy option after putting down the McCoys!), Medium Costa Hot chocolate

7:30pm - Dinner - Chicken curry with rice, mango chutney, naan bread, poppadom, 2 bottles of Old Speckled Hen ale (all part of the free spread put on by my company at our darts tournament).

9:00pm - Pint of squash, yoghurt, 1x Lindt Lindor chocolate

10:30pm - Pint of water

Would like a little more protein in between breakfast and evening meal even a wee glass of milk (150-200ml) with lunch post run but this is being picky.

A banana would have filled you up more than a packet of quaversimage

Evening mealimage!

Not going to see you tomorrow but enjoy the day and race well Sunday! Use race morning breakfast that you have in Paris.

Hey Ruth......sorry we won't get the chance to meet up with you again this Saturday. 

I apologise for Thursday's diet........but in my defence, the curry and rice was put on by my work in their canteen and this was the healthiest option available, apart from the 2 beers I suppose. But I can still count on two hands how many beers I've had since January 1st!

You are correct....a banana would have been more filling, but I gave in to temptation. It doesn't happen often luckily anymore. 

I have no problem with bringing in a milkshake into my daily routine. That definitely gets my thumbs up. image

• Ady -  I'm using the eliptical x trainer, and trying to do training that's mimicking what I should be doing running wise.  I know it's not the same but I should be keeping my fitness levels.  The downside of this if I have 3 hours at the gym this morning.  The calf guards support the calf area and are meant to help with tired muscles.  I tried using compression socks but found they did n't have enough cushioning on longer runs. Good luck to the racers this weekend.

• Great to catch up today - and impressed with your pace judgement when we took your garmins away! It's great that you didn't have any knee or quad discomfort, even with the mile on the track.

So tomorrow the plan is first 10 at 8.45 to 9 min pace and second 10 at 8 min pace. Great chance to nail the nutrition/hydration plan and practises holding race pace on tiring legs. Hope it goes well!
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ady - from Sam's report it sounds like a very positive day for you today which is great to hear. Really glad to hear your knee and quad are in check. You've timed your recovery perfectly. I think we can conclude, without question, that this is mainly down to that old herbal remedy - beer and curry! Ruth has already PM'd me to say she totally agrees image

Pace judgement without a Garmin eh? I would have no chance image

Not sure I like the look of the target for tomorrow - I'll be with you for the first 10 but after that you may be on your own. Will have to see how this hamstring goes over the first half. I managed my last 5 of last week's 20 at MP so if the leg is ok it would be very nice to try and see how 10 @ 8mm feels. Fingers crossed.

DS2 - great to hear you're back on track after the cold etc. Please don't leave too much of a dust cloud when you sprint off at the start!   Just prepping now for tomorrow. First things in the bag as always - micropore and vas image   
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    I won't be that fast Malcs. Off to prep myself now. See you boys tomorrow
  • Even im feeling excited about your race tomorrow. The paces sound great Ady, cant wait to hear how you get on as I will be doing something similar in two weeks time for my 20 mile race. Glad to hear that BC went well today and your knees been ok.

Ruth...is a glass of milk or milkshake just as good as a protein drink?
  • Evening all............I'll keep this short as I also need to go and prep for tomorrow's Surrey Spitfire 20.....not to mention trying to catch up on as much beauty sleep from last night as possible! 

I managed to sleep in this morning and almost missed my train to Birmingham. Luckily I managed to shower, dress myself and make it to the train station in 15 mins for my 5:29 train. That must be a new record!

Training day was an excellent as always. Great seeing the other runners, coaches, experts and support crew (I'll write this up in more detail tomorrow afternoon!). Sam has given me some excellent pacing targets for tomorrow's race. Sarah put me through more pain on the physio table than I've felt before and my knee pain just melted away. First time in ages since I've ran with no discomfort at all. If only I had her around to do this to me every day!

I think we ran about 7 miles in total today, so should still be fairly fresh for tomorrow - 1-1/2 mile w/up, 2 miles with Garmin at MP (Target - 8:00m/m, Actual - 7:50m/m), 2 miles without Garmin at MP (Target - 8:00m/m, Actual - 7:55m/m - who needs technology!), 1 mile track speed session at alternative marathon and 10k pace @6:55m/m, 1/2 mile c/down.

So we won't meet again until Paris now. Fingers crossed all problems will have evaporated come the start in 5 weeks time!

/members/images/403074/Gallery/photo_(7).JPG

Malcs......I'll see you at Godalming station around 8am tomorrow morning. I'll call if I have any problems! DS2.....looking forward to catching up as well! image

• Hi Ady

I've changed the order of sessions in week 12, somehow you'd ended up with 2 hard sessions in a row! I've also added the 20 miler!image

Week 12 w/c 4th March
    Monday REST
    Tuesday 4 MILE JOG
    Wednesday 5 x 1 mile at 6.55-7.05 pace with 2.5 minute recovery plus w-up/c-down (8.5 miles)
    Thursday 5 MILES COMFORTABLE
    Friday REST OR LOW IMPACT CROSS TRAINING
    Saturday 6 MILES STEADY
    Sunday 20 miles easy
    MILEAGE 43.5

• Surrey Spitfire 20 today. I'll write properly later as now I have to shun running for the first time this weekend and give Mrs Shady Ady some attention!

It was great seeing some other forum members - Malcs, DS2 and Young Pup. Thanks to Malcs for sticking with me for the whole race. I stuck to Sams race plan perfectly and finished the race in 2:45:29. This could well be a new 20 mile PB but I'll have to check. It was great passing so many people in the 2nd half when picking up the speed. I was tiring towards the end a little but was still able to pick up the pace.

A nice end to a running filled weekend!
  • Well done - believe in all the pacing it works!!!!

I understand that you met my hubby this morning - he has been a very naughty stydent and didn't follow my pacing plan (as learnt from Sam last year). Well done you for sticking with it.

Such a great event - sorry to have missed it. I was actually in Rye celebrating a friends 40th - walks on the beach and mooching around shops without children squabbing - heaven!

• YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭
    Shady - really nice to meet you and Malcs today (and DS2 right at the end), and I hope you didn't mind me tagging along with you both for most of the race. It was a great coincidence (at least for me image) that you were both on almost exactly the same pacing strategy as me, and it definitely helped to keep me working in the 2nd half

My pre race plan was to run the first 10 @ 9m/m, and then the second 10 @ 07:30, with the aim of finishing in around 2hrs 45 mins. Like you, I really enjoyed the whole race, especially the 2nd half, and my Garmin time at the end was 2:44:59 seconds image

Good luck with the rest of your training, and I'll go back to lurking again nowimage

YP
  • Hey Emma! Lovely to see you on here... Hope all good. On way back to rye now after Eastbourne half. Any race plans this year?

Well done ady, ds2 and malcs - good work! A great wkd's running ady
  • Hi Sam!

I was hoping to do Eastbourne as it is one of our grand prix events but my chums birthday proved to be a greater draw! How did it go for you (amazing I should imagineimage ). I managed a pb at Tunbridge Wells last week with 1:55.09 which over a hilly course I was chuffed with. Swimming and spin seem to have slowed down my run times but I am hoping all my cross training will show dividends soon.

I am trying to get Michael to work on pacing - trying to use all the advice that you have given to me. But he is not a very good student!

I am doing Paddock wood in 3 weeks time - it should be slightly flatter and a tiny bit warmer so good conditions for another pb. Hoping to do a marathon in October as I am missing the focus of a marathon campaign. I am missing the forums and your advice and support so much - that's why I have been lying a bit low. A bit of the green eyed monster I think.

How are you doing and how is Geoff?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Hi all, a really good day in Surrey was had by all. Nice to meet fellow for unites. Just a shame I ran the whole way on my own. Ended with 2:18:39 with a 3 1/2 minute negative split so feel on target for sub 3:15 in 10 weeks time.

Emma - we did indeed meet your hubby. What can I say about pacing - he's a man!!! I will also be at Paddock wood. Fast flat course. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Well done Ady, Malcs and young pup. That's how to pace things!
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    That should read 2:28:39. If only