Silverstone Half

Hi hope im posting this in the right part of the forum, sorry if not. I took up running for the first time 5-6 months ago and I am running my first half marathon on Sunday at Silverstone. Really nervous about it already so wondering what i'll be like on Sunday image 

Anyway ive been told by a friend they might not allow ipods to be used, ive done all my training with my ipod and it will throw me right off if i cant use it. Can anyone enlighten me?  Thanks

Comments

• Ive done it a couple of times and headphones were being used, if theres nothing in your race pack saying otherwise you will be fine. 

I personally can't stand people with headphones in, very dangerous for themselves and others during a race.

• Thanks for the reply, ive read nothing in my pack so good for me. Thanks again

• Darren G2 wrote (see)

Thanks for the reply, ive read nothing in my pack so good for me. Thanks again

It is until you don;t hear someone about to overtake you and get flattened

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Good for you, a pain for everyone trying to get past.
  • Darren, I do all my training with my mp3, but have never raced with it. I think you lose out on a lot of the experience of a race by cutting off one of your senses. Don't be nervous and lap up everything that the day throws at you, otherwise you end up paying for nothing more than 4 safety pins and a number.

Good luck

• Also-ran wrote (see)

Darren, I do all my training with my mp3, but have never raced with it. I think you lose out on a lot of the experience of a race by cutting off one of your senses. Don't be nervous and lap up everything that the day throws at you, otherwise you end up paying for nothing more than 4 safety pins and a number.

Good luck

Agreed.  I do all my solo runs with music on my iPhone but I'd never dream of racing with music.  Dangerous and surely detracts from the race experience.

• one thing i'd say about silverstone is, that unlike other races, once you're into the maggots turn, the crowd is non existant for the next 12 miles, only briefly coming back as you go over bridge, the track is very wide and even at the start you dont trip over each other, its probably the best race for ipod wearers. 

• Hope I haven't offended anyone with my comments. As I said I've never been in a race before (not that I'm racing) so thanks for the advice image
  • So if you aren't racing why are you spending money entering races ?
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Dave - I think you may be confusing the word 'racing'.

Robot has entered the race and will be running but not 'racing'

Robot. I tried running with music and, much as I love music, I found that it just wasn't for me. I tried to run to the tempo of the music rather than that of my body.

Also, if you get a well supported event, you get so much feedback from the crowd that it wold be a shame to miss it.

I ran in a half last weekend and the announcer was name checking contestants. I actually heard him say about one chap "......oh, he won't have heard that, he's got his headphones . It's amazing how much the crowd can lift you.

You always hear how people rave about the London Marathon because of the atmosphere. If you run with headphones, you cut most of this out.

Even if you can use your music this weekend, give it a go without.