P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• Morning All

Haven't been on for a while and can't keep up with the back reading & everyone's amazing efforts - I think there's going to be some great times posted come 21st April!

Been following the 55/70 plan since my last post apart from this week where I have deviated slightly (reduced milage) as I'm running a half marathon on Sunday (Bideford) and want to use it as sustained LT effort to see if my sub 3 target is realistic - will let you all know how it goes come Sunday night!

• Morning all, God im knackered this week. I dont think ive recovered properly from Sunday still. Ive been getting up at 4.30 every morning which isnt helping.

Tonights 12 LT run is going to be an absolute killer after 12 hours at work image

Dave, good luck on Sunday! Have you got a target in mind?

Don't forget the pressure is on to pb image

• Morning all, 5 miles recovery for me today, on the treadmill, lovely and gentle, weather perfectimage

Long shift at work tomorrow so sort of a rest day and then a 20 on Sunday

February mileage was 204.11, average 6.8 pace

March is 5 miles!

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Dont shout (and swear) but I didnt get my 12 with 7 done last night due to a bureaucratic life curve ball totally messing with me all day. I have an overwhelming fear that this curve ball is going to be overwhelming and running is going to have to come second for a period of time. Lets hope not.

I went out on the dark lanes at 7 without having eaten in 7 hours to get 4 miles under my belt but wasnt into it remotely. 200.11 for feb and 363 for the year.

• Dont worry about it Men, this is just a hobby at then end of the day, some things are more important.

In Feb i did 237 miles, at an average of 7.53min/miles. Should have been more but i missed a couple of runs.

Total for the year 504 miles, it wont be long before ive surpassed the whole of last years mileage for running.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Mark, I wasn't going to bother with the LT run, as I think a half marathon counts as an extra-long one of those anyway. Why not skip it if you're still knackered?

And Men, Mark is right that there are more important things than running, even we're all acting like there aren't. If you like you can be in my 'can't be arsed doing LT runs' club.

• I wanted to try and have a really good month in March, try to up the mileage a bit and make most of my runs a bit quicker, it might not be a good start to the month today!

I'll probably just go out and see how i feel later, im not too worried if i have to cut it a bit short, have you had an easier week after your race last weekend?

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I still have a pain in the ankle*, so I'll skip today's run.  I was only going to do 5m with strides, so it's not critical.  If it's better tomorrow I might try a few strides, but I'll play it by ear.

I've also started coughing* image  ..... kids

[*Brought to you courtesy of the "Tenjiso book of nervous pre-race excuses"]

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Mark: No, I've been following the programme, except that I did just one 7-mile recovery on Tues rather than the two runs (6+4) in the book, because I just didn't have time in the evening (pilates class). I also did most of Wednesday's MLR at or faster than marathon pace (between 7 and 7:25 m/m) because I was with some faster runners at club night and thought I might as well use it to make up my missed MRP run from a couple of weeks ago. So actually a harder week than normal so far, but I thought I'd just do a normal MLR at whatever pace I feel like tonight instead of the LT miles. The other reason is this way I can do most of it with the club rather than having to go running by myself to be able to set the pace (they like to push it a bit, but would probably object to 6:40s!).

• Tenjiso wrote (see)

I still have a pain in the ankle*, so I'll skip today's run.  I was only going to do 5m with strides, so it's not critical.  If it's better tomorrow I might try a few strides, but I'll play it by ear.

I've also started coughing* image  ..... kids

[*Brought to you courtesy of the "Tenjiso book of nervous pre-race excuses"]

Youll be alright!

The extra rest will probably make you go even quicker on Sunday now. image

• Lit sounds like youve recovered a bit better than me then!

I've stuck to the plan but ran all my miles pretty slow. Sometimes its probably better running with a club to give yourself a kick up the backside.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well, I've plenty of energy but legs still feel like they've been working harder than usual (though not unpleasantly so). But (a) I don't run as fast as you do, and especially (b) I don't get up at 4.30!

Ten, what kind of ankle pain?

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Thanks Mark.... positive vibes are good image

literatin wrote (see)

Ten, what kind of ankle pain?

The hurty kind image  

It's at the front, near the top of the foot - where the tongue of training shoe presses. I've stopped using the top eyelets to loosen the shoes, which has helped.  Unfortunately I didn't notice this pain until after my run yesterday.  The pain is noticeable when I bend my foot upwards, as if trying to stand on my heels.

I'm icing, resting and taking an NSAID, and crossing my fingers.  

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all - 12mi with LT today for me.

For those who ran a half on the weekend I think ok to just turn LT run into a MLR if still knackered. Ten - take it easy on the ankle...maybe you need a different trainer?

• Supposed to be sleeping but there is a lot of noise going on 2 doors down, I can hear a cement mixer through my ear plugs,image will try and nap again later

Ten sorry to hear you still have that niggle, I guess you are doing all you can do really icing etc, does it hurt when you walk ?

Dave p See you Sunday say hi if you spot me cant remember my number off hand  I think its 447  or 477 image I will have a yellow southwest road runners vest on there is a pic of me mush in my gallery so you will spot me before I spot you..

• Ten, just thought can you get to see a physio before Sunday?

With the heavy training youve been doing lately i wouldnt be surprised if an extra days rest makes a big difference though.

Ive been looking through the book and today is actually the last LT run of the programme, i think i need to man up and get it done.

• mark go for it when its done its done image

• mark1981 wrote (see)

Dave, good luck on Sunday! Have you got a target in mind?

Don't forget the pressure is on to pb image

Hi Mark

Will be aiming for something in the region of 1:23:00 - 1:23:30 if all goes to plan (but these things rarely do!) - will post my result (good or bad!) on Sunday night!!

• I'm in the same boat as you Mark. Been a bit of a hellish week work wise and I also had to do my Sunday Long run on Monday (as I was hungover Sunday). So 18 miles Sunday, followed by 15 miles Wednesday (with recovery on Tuesday) has meant that I'm feeling a little fraglie and not totally looking forward to the 12 miles with 7 at LT tonight! - esp as I am probably going to have to do my Sunday Long run (20 miles+) on Saturday (i.e tommorrow) instead of Sunday due to other commitments. So in a nutshell I'm going to try the 12 with 7 LT tonight, but might turn it into a bit of a Fartlek run with mile repeats instead of the 7 LT. I'm not too worried because I had a 10 mile race a couple of weeks ago so that should keep my tempo up.

Life is very annoying and gets in the way of training! Agh!

• Hi NN

Sorry posted before I saw your post!  Yes hopefully see you there. My number is 829 (I think) but I won't have a club vest on as I'm an unaffiliated pleb!!  Forecast isn't too bad (dry with little wind) so should be on for decent times?!

• Dave You will probably be showered and changed before I finish, I am only going for the home made cakes in the club house after ..they are always yummy !!image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

242 miles in Feb. for me.  image

literatin wrote (see)

Chick, I think that runner beat me in the end, but he did look like he wasn't enjoying it!

Lit: now it's rubbish marks for your stalking skills -- guy came in a few secs behind you. May have been chip time but fact is you chicked him proper image

mark1981 wrote (see)

Morning all, God im knackered this week. I dont think ive recovered properly from Sunday still. Ive been getting up at 4.30 every morning which isnt helping.

Tonights 12 LT run is going to be an absolute killer after 12 hours at work image

Ouch, mark - sounds like a tough week there. If you are too knackered why not drop a sesh? Look at the big picture and all that ... recovery is as vital an ingredient to a sucessful training campaign as tempo, intervals or long runs. In fact, adaptations take place during recovery. If you don't get enough of it you won't reap the maximum training benefits. 

Mennania wrote (see)

Dont shout (and swear) but I didnt get my 12 with 7 done last night due to a bureaucratic life curve ball totally messing with me all day. I have an overwhelming fear that this curve ball is going to be overwhelming and running is going to have to come second for a period of time. Lets hope not.

I went out on the dark lanes at 7 without having eaten in 7 hours to get 4 miles under my belt but wasnt into it remotely. 200.11 for feb and 363 for the year.

Aw shit, Men - sorry to hear. Virtual hugs coming your way. Sometimes needs must and running has to go on the backburner. Been there too (long story).

Sometimes it'd be nice to live the life of a full time athlete complete with daytime naps and not having to worry how to juggle job, training, family and friends.

I had to make amends too this week. Today I was supposed to be doing 12 miles with 5 x 1200s but I was knackered this morning and decided I needed the extra sleep. Instead I ran 5 miles at lunchtime (in the sun image) and will squeeze in 7 with reps between work and going out tonight.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Chris - I am rejigging my already rejigged schedule and have 12 with 7 to run tonight. I also am not going to beat myself up and it may turn into a 12 with 1 x3 and 2x2 at LT with mile a mile warm up, mile interval and mile warm down. 22 on Sunday.

Nire to get the run done 15w.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ah yes, I remember now Ten. I used to get that a year or so ago and it did go away after a while without using the top eyelets (which I can now use again, in fact). Sorry it hurts, but it sounds okay in that it's probably bruising/pressure that you can run through rather than something more serious that's going to mess up your running if you keep going.

Being a woman, I feel no need to man up and do an LT run. If I feel I've missed out on the last one I can always slot one in later.

Chick, sorry about my stalking failure! I will try to do better if there are photos from the Bideford half this weekend and we can stalk Dave and NN.

• Chick 12 miles with 5 x 1200s ?image  which week are you on ? are you doing VLM sorry if I missed which marathon you are doing..

Men we are all good at rejigging if nothing else

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

NN: I live in Germany now, so I'm doing Hamburg which is on the same day as VLM. I'm doing the 12 week schedule though - it's slightly different. And I'm mixing the 55-70 and 70-85 up.

• Lit I looked at the race details there are going to be photos image bugger better remember to breath in , I wish we had never fricking  started this lark..lol my race pics are always really really shite, its ok for you youngsters  hopefully they will be at the start and not the finish 

Ah Chick yes Germany of course I remember you spent alot of time running in weather far worse than we had here when you were Hadding didnt you ?

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Lit - hopefully you're right.  

Mark - forgot to say there's no chance of seeing a physio, though I have got a session booked in a few weeks (just before my final long run).

• Ten does it hurt to walk on ?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

LT run went ok today. Was bloomin hard...but at least I've done it! image