Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Race fairy - please enter me for the Atlanta Half on Mar 17, and the Peachtree 10k on July 4. Thanks
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

New watch has arrived. image

Now I just need to figure out how to work it. I guess that's tonight sorted then!

• Orbutt wrote (see)
    I'm also running a half three weeks before Paris. I'm not going for a time on the half but should I try to run it at MP or just go with the flow?

Orbutt - a half 3 weeks out. I'd nail it mate. You aren't going to be tired from ther distance but the speedwork will do a lot of benefit.I did a 1h31 HM 7 days before my first sub-3 (2h58) and I felt it really helped.

NeilB - great to see you back here mate. Long time no talk. Have you got your running legs back now?

SportyBadger - glad you made it through the Achilles soreness and the dodgy guts but I do advise to take care with the lower leg. The Achilees is the biggest and strongest tendon in the body so it can take a lot of abuse. But when is starts getting sore and twitchy, if it isn't cared for, it can also take a long time to heel. Blood flow is very poor in that part of the body so cell regeneration/ recovery is slow.  Advise you to read up on eccentric stretching and then do some.

Took myself out for 11k this lunchtime, after realising I didn't bring any running undies with me. So went out just with running tights on. It's still cold enough for a bit of snow on the ground out in the forest. The run was fun but I can honestly say (ladies, turn your ears away now), my 'meat and two veg' felt how I would imagine they would be if they'd be trampled on by someone wearing stilettoes - and no Rob - it's not a case of 'I wish'. image

Good luck with that hard run tmrw Yer_Maj. Early to bed and no booze should do the job.

So with the big race just 5 weeks away (37 days to go!!), I think it is time for people to start 'fessing up their predicted race times.  In years gone past, we've had 3 times.
    Bronze - the slowest time with which you'd be satisfied you had done well
    Silver - your real target time
    Gold - the absolute best time you think you could realistically do, if the wind was blowing on your back the whole way round, the weather was ideal, perfect conditions
    A hypothetical example: MysticalRunner - B 4h10 / S 4h00 / G 3h55

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)

I'm also running a half three weeks before Paris. I'm not going for a time on the half but should I try to run it at MP or just go with the flow? 

Orbutt, I think I recall you are running the Liverpool Half marathon on 17th March. I've already decided to go and nail it (to quote TD). Last year Liverpool was the first race I ran and did it in 2hrs 5 mins. I am going to aim for under 1 hour 50 mins.

I have brought forward my LSR's to accomodate it and I have come up with the theory to run this as quick as I can for the speedwork (to quote TD again).

• DLR - a postie.

Weedy - I just don't know........scared  to push to hard but also aware  I need to get the miles in?? Made mega jumps in the last few weeks but wary of injury especially with new job etc??  Maybe I should try 16-18 on Sunday, then 18-20 the following week and the same the week after?? Advice please....image

I got finished a hour early today!! Some of the bags seemed very heavy today, must be accumulated fatigue!

Off to walk dog now. Ran 8k early this morning so my halo is truly shining!imageimage

• Grabs sunnies due to halo shining in the distance....

Rest day.. Well and truely knackered today, trying to work up the energy to drive to the pool and swim (Well I am supposed to be a triathlete).

20 miler planned for tomorrow, quiet early night as Suzie is away in London at a conference til very late tomorrow

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - I'm not sure what your longest run recently has been, but you have been putting the miles in. You did a good amount in total last week. I think it would be safer for you to do a shorter run (16/18) this weekend and make sure you feel good after that before trying to go a bit further the following couple of weekends.

• I'm entered for the Reading half on the 17th and also intending to take the 'nail it' approach.

Could anyone offer advice re long runs, though? My Autumn schedule was messed-up by injuries/viruses and general uselessness - so I'm going to Paris on a very truncated training schedule. I've only got up to 16 miles, but have a 20m mile race in the diary 2 weeks before Paris. All the indications are that this is too near to recover from. Should I ditch it and get a LSR in a week earlier?

I'm rather ambitiously targeting a good for age time at Paris (sub 3:15) as they lost my chip-reading last year (I managed 3;13 according to 2 Garmins and finished ahead of the pacer, but was -understandably- not acceptable for VLM). The whole thing was rather demoralising, but the danger is I'll knacker myself trying to make up for lost November/December.

Really starting to look forward to Paris now, though. Hope the technology is a bit more depndable this time.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I have the Atlanta Half on Mar 17th that I had intended to run at easy pace - but with the suggestions above perhaps I should just go for it.  Problem is it is a very hilly course, will be humid, and I still have ot add another 7 miles after to make up to my 20!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Tricky - thanks for the advice, I hadn't considered trying to nail it for fear of knackering myself for Paris but its been your training plan that has got me here so I should listen to you.

JamesB - yup, doing Liverpool again. Dreading Parliament St but looking forward to the event as a whole.

Vioolman - under the circumstances I'd ditch the race, do the 20 miles a week earlier and then taper. What a bummer about your chip time image

Eggy - new gadget image

Bronze. 4:15

Silver. 4:10

Gold. 4:05
  • James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

Bronze - 4.15

Silver - 4.05

gold - 3.58

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I'll post my aspirations once I have done my run tomorrow

• i'll post mine once i'm through Silverstone on Sunday

• BeddersBedders ✭✭✭

Some good running all round guys, great work! Went out early doors this morning for my 11K 'Recovery' run, 5.30am, so much easier at that time, no one about and so much nicer now it's just that little bit warmer.

Good to hear of the weight-loss-since-running stories on previous pages, I've never been too big myself but am definately slimmer than I was a few years ago and that's generally down to the running and decent nutrition. Think it's more of just a case of been happier in yourself? I've got to a point where I feel lazy if I've not got out for a run that day (Sunday's are my exception - day off!), it's hard to think back to my younger days when life was pretty much just booze and eating garbage!

On the subject of nutrition, thought I'd share a little 'motivational' tactic I use in the run up to marathon's; I get the event's logo printed out on a few 6x4 prints to stick about the house/in the car, just a little reminder what I'm working towards. The best place is the fridge;

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh167/Yorkieal/IMG_4433.jpg

For my previous efforts at Edinburgh and Barcelona I had stuff written on them such as 'DON'T BE A FAT TW*T and 'STOP EATING CRAP' but my daughter has started reading and can 'sound out' (parents will know what this means) words really well, so it's probably not the best idea.....image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Bronze: Avoid death or limbs falling off.

SIlver: Avoid death or limbs falling off and finish.

Gold: Avoid death or limbs falling off and finish under 4:30.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Bronze: 3.24.59 (PB is 3.25.14)
    Silver: 3.19.59
    Gold: 3.14.59

SB

• Making the pub before closing time...............

• Bronze..:   Remember to look up and actually see the Eiffel Tower

Silver..:  Stop for a coffee and post on the forum during the race

Gold..:  All the above and still beat at least one of you lot....!   image

• Oh..  this year I defintely stopping for some wine at the Medoc and Beaujolais stalls..   they also hand out yummy sweets...   I've often ignored that, but not this year....

Oh...  and newbies..    look out for the gay male cheerleaders in skirts..  they are good fun...   in fact, there are some good live bands along the route...  

• Thanks Orbutt. The trouble with doing Paris is that the English races are timed to fit in with VLM preparation, especially 20 milers.

Incidentally, has anyone here had any experience of running with orthotic insoles? I'm 3 weeks into using them and (touch wood) they seem to have solved a real problem I have with high mileage. I've been getting an inflamed sensation in the right knee at around the hour mark, something to do with ITB meets extremely flat foot! I think these babies are working and feel more positive than I have in months. I know that some people distrust that sort of intervention, though.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Gold - 3.44 or less

Silver - 3.45

Bronze - 3.55

Plastic - 4.10

Reality - 4.20-30
  • Towers, gay cheerleaders wine stalls...., I run without my specs everything is just a blur when I run...
  • Bronze - Getting to the start line

Silver - Getting to the finish line

Gold - seeing my daughters on route, and hopefully running the last wee bit with them or at least the youngest!

Platinum  - a PB after the last 6 months!!!!

• Happy birthday RS and Happy St David's day Yer_maj.

Left Achilles still giving some minor discomfort which is playing on my mind. Need to do a very slow LSR tomorrow. Fingers crossed. I'll not tempt fate by setting my targets just yet...
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Evening all, a bloody shocker of a day for me. Just getting round to lunch/dinner

My goals are:

- Gold: 4.29

- Silver: 4.45

- Bronze: 4.55

- anything below: disappointed but probably expectedimage
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Emmy that sounds a little late for lunch image

Bedders when your daughter is older I can assure you that you will not need signs on the fridge. She will just shout those abusive phrases at you like 'don't eat crap dad'! I have 3 daughter by the way.

Sorry I'm not joining you in Paris this year, I'm doing London instead. My silver, is get round in 3:15 for a GFA place next year. No gold, I already got that last year image

• Thanks for the advice - feeling pretty comfortable with the idea of 2 x 32km (and maybe a bit extra if I feel really strong). And you're completely right TD - knowing what it feels like from last time has been an enormous comfort. It's only in the last week or so that I've really started to feel it will come together and I'll get around.

I'm flying 'across' early tomorrow morning to see Carmen at the Royal Albert Hall and to shop and shop and shop without a male companion scowling at me! So. Excited.

Vioolman: I run with orthotics. I wear Brooks Adrenaline GTS shoes with them in. I've tried a couple of other pairs of shoes with disastrous consequences, so I'm a bit superstitious about changing them. My orthotics are not the hard plastic ones though, they're full leather. I think I'd be reluctant to wear the hard plastic formed ones, simply because they are, well, really hard! Give it a go, do it gently and slowly. They feel pretty uncomfortable for a while, so I'd only wear them for a short run at first and slowly build up.

Bronze: 5.10

Silver: 5.00

Gold: 4.45

Prediction: I don't care as long as I get to see some of you, but I WILL remember to eat a croissant this time...

• Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Speaking of cover models...

/members/images/727962/Gallery/DLR_resized.jpg

And DLR: ever since you pointed out that you look like you're about to sneeze, that's all I can think of when I look at this photo - always makes me laugh!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Vioolman - I have extremely flat feet and on a recent visit to a physio I was told that orthotics would do me no good whatsoever.

What shoes do you run in? I run in Brooke's Adrenaline and I've never had a knee problem (touching wood).

Of course, it sounds like they may be working for you image
  • When I was six, i saw a big billboard for Golden Virginia tobacco coming out of King's Cross Station. In a very loud voice, I said: "Look, dad, golden v****a"

It's still a bit early for me to be making predictions, but I'm a lot more optimistic about things than I was six weeks ago. Vioolman - I'm in the same boat as you. Got new orthotics about a month ago. I'm only up to six miles in them tho. Still not sure whether I'll be ready to run 26 miles in them come Paris, but I've got my old ones if not. I won't bore everyone else with the stretches I've been doing to deal with ITB, but message me and I can give you a list if it helps.

Kaz - I'd agree with Eggy.

Emmy - woss all this 4.45, 4.55 nonsense?

Iain - Newcastle Racecourse Marathon's been confirmed. On Dec 8 if anyone else is interested. There's a 50k and a half at the same time as well. http://www.northeastmarathonclub.co.uk/