RW Forum SIx – 3.30 – 4.00

Comments

• Crikey Carter! well done on the weight loss!! Impressive! Enjoy your evening!!

• On the ginger theme - I have a hint of it going on in the old beard growth . Two daughters who are undeniably strawberry blonde, third daughter is blonde and only son is also blonde. It appears then the strawberry blonde gene is my fault as my wife is dark - under certain lights my hair colour has been known to be compared to that of Andre Villas Boas image...

I too have decided to rest tonight - had a hill session planned but I have already just done two speed sessions on consecutive nights and am thinking i have two heavy weeks ahead and want to be a bit fresher going into them. Feeling a bit guilty - I really am taking the p**s out of this cutback week image.... Mmmm maybe I should go out and do a short easy run..

Carter funny enough I have also lost almost a stone also since 1st Jan... 14'6 to currently 13'8.... Last to go is the beer gut though! This the lightest I have been in about 15 years - 12'7 I think is my bottom weight so a bit to go yet . What about you - are you at your fighting weight now?
  • Not yet. At the beginning of last year I was 15st 4lbs and am now 12st 12lbs. Like you it's the lightest I've been in 20 odd years since 'retiring' from playing footy to focus on drinking beers and eating kebabs. Ideally I want to get down to 11st but the older I get (45 now) the more difficult it gets. I would be happy to get to 12st. After this marathon I've got lake Coniston trail marathon where I believe the first 15ish miles are uphill. In August I've got a 33 mile fell race thing and in September I've got a 50 mile ultra. So if I can't shift plenty of weight training for that lot I'm destined to look like Homer Simpson for the rest of my life !
  • That's quite a schedule you have for this year Carter - fair play to you, ultra's are not even on my radar... 26.2 is plenty!  the weight should deffo continue to creep off as the year goes on then.

I was almost 17st  in March of last year - the weight just creeps on over the years with little physical activity. My weight never moved from 12'7 no matter how much beer & kebabs I consumed... until I got past my mid 20's and I guess my metabolism must have slowed and the weight gradually crept on. Started running in my mid 30's for a couple of years and got down to just under 14st again. Running stopped again in 2007 when I became self-employed and another baby arrived and the weight went back on again. So now I'm 42 and running again & much lighter & happier to boot! 

• Nice weight loss. I've done the opposite and put a stone on in the last year.... Gone from 11:8 to 12:8 image

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

I thought this was a running forum not a weight watchers discussion image 

• Oh my gosh Carter!! Are you really 45???? I thought I was older than you!!!? Hmm...that's means you are running very well for your age though....

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Listened to Spoons advice and decided that rather than go all out on the intervals tonight I would do some intervals and some mile at MP.

I normally cover about 3600m at inteval pace but after a 1.5m warmup, did 5x400m reps followed by 2 miles at MP.

I did not go full tilt on the interval reps. And the headwind down one side of the track was very strong. Almost a gale at times.

warmup at 8:20 min/mile

5x400m reps with 400m recovery in between.

1 - 6:25 min/mile

2 - 6:25 min/mile

3- 6:28 min/mile

4 - 6:31 min/mile

5 - 6:29 min/mile

Recoveries were 8:36 min/mile to 8:51 min/mile pace.

Followed this with 2 miles at MP of 8:15 min and 8:12 min.

Cool down 0.75 mile at 8:56 min/mile.

6 miles in total.

I think this was a good workout. I always find interval sessions a little more tiring than the other speed sessions so I don't think I am anymore tired than normal.

I think this was a good call from Spoons (thank you) as I might have had 1 or 2 more reps in me but not much else at that pace. The MP miles were easy after the intervals. It was almost a relief.

• Nice one, Carl! That looks like a great work out. I'm taking a couple of days off now before the HM. Probably a good thing as my right shin and foot are giving me a bit of grief, and I'm feeling pretty tired today.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

22 mile route planned for tomorrow, all on roads but hey thats what the marathon will be run on so it's got to be done. Food, water and fuel all ready. I have just entered the Long Tour of Bradwell fell race in August - 33 miles and 6300ft of ascent image 

• Nice one Carl. Good stuff, I am starting a similar session next week and I fear that more than any distance!

Carter - Good luck tomorrow mate, I have a slightly more comfortable 16 tomorrow and have just picked up my gels so am now good to go. I got my new running shoes this morning from my local Runnersworld store -Zoot Ultra Kalani 3.0 so looking forward to giving them a bash.

As for weight loss I am 5'10" and 12.9 and eat like a horse. I was super skinny as a kid and I'm heavy for my build because apparently I have a skinny skeleton imagethanks to refusing milk of any description as a baby. It's always good to join a gym or have a physical as my bodyfat % and BMI are totally incompatible and watch them tapping their equipment and rechecking the charts. It took 15 years on building sites and gyms to get any shape or bulk at all.

Skinny, ginger and pale the Oirish family genes wouldn't fetch much at auction.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Ooh err Oirish, you havent got much going for you have you !! image

I'm 5ft 7" and 12st 12. I think I have Magners retention and can put weight on just looking at a kebab, therefore I just eat them. The beer gut has been with me for many a year and it will be a sad day when it finally disapperas. I could always get back in training for it to come back though.  

We had better not talk too much about weight or Carl might get upset again ! image

• I would tell you how much I weigh but a lady never tells image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Ricky - nice weight loss sir. Get yourself some ultras lined up. I havent actually run one before but I have been doing a lot of my training, until recently, on trails and hills etc. It stops you from getting bored and the miles fly by with all the lovely views. I have been on 18 milers where I havent seen any sign of a human at all, just sheep, pheasant, grouse etc. Well worth considering in my opinion

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Dobster wrote (see)

I would tell you how much I weigh but a lady never tells image

So what makes you a lady then ??

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Runningrachel wrote (see)

Oh my gosh Carter!! Are you really 45???? I thought I was older than you!!!? Hmm...that's means you are running very well for your age though....

So that will make it worse for you when I kick your ass at Manchester !! image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

So, who has got what planned for this weekend, both on the running and none running front ?

I have got my 22 miler tomorrow morning, dog walking in the Peaks in the afternoon, watch the mighty Forest beat Sheffield Wednesday (bearing in mind I'm from Nottingham and live in Sheffield with Wednesday supporter's) and off to the pub tomorrow night. Sunday will be more dog walking and a recovery run in the evening of about 6 easy miles.

• Carter - Wow we are both old enough to remember when Forest/Wednesday would of been an important game. That is coming from a 41 year old Ipswich fan so I share the sense of loss. image

As I said 16 tomorrow and following that 6 to recover Sunday plus a trip out to run the dogs on the beach/mud. I have a work deadline to meet Tuesday so at some point I need to actually sit down and write something of worth.

That'll be late monday I imagine.

• 12 for me tomorrow I think.....image

• Have a good long run in the morning Carter. 

• Long tour of bradwell looks great. I would do it with you but I'll be on holiday....

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Had a bit of a hectic Friday and when I check in I see you have all been very busy today. image

I too have lost a good load of weight since startiung my training back in October. Have another few pounds to go to get to my ideal running weight according to article in runners world mag a few months ago.

I am planning to get a 20 mile LSR in as early tomorrow as possible. Assuming that everything is in good working order I will incorporate minimum 1 x 4 miles MP and maybe 2 x 4 miles MP interspersed with some SLOW stuff.

Rest of my weekend will be taken up with some conference calls to work as I have some critical works going on over the weekend and getting ready for a work trip to the States first thing Monday morning.

In between there is the usual bringing / collecting from football training and matches over the 2 days.

• Lots going on this weekend by the looks of it! I'm only in through the door after 15 hour stint at work and have to go in early doors in the morning again image

Anyway - cutback weekend for me .... 6 mls tomorrow anoon & then 14 on sun morn. Just gonna run em all easy. Then my old mums 70th birthday bash on Sunday afternoon image

Carter that's a biggie in the morning (bet mrs carter says that all the time) - good luck!
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    Oirish - we play your lot next week so dare say there will be some banter taking place !

Rachel - have a good one tomorrow.

Spoons Spoons Spoons - you will be on holiday ? Is that the best excuse you can come up with ?? image

Carl - glad to see you've finally joined in with the weight loss discussion ! Where is your work trip to ?

Ricky - they don't call me USM for nothing image

Have a good weekend everyone.
  • Carter - I am far fom being a lady - many of my friends and my OH will tell you that. image

Am testing out my calf later by taking myself for a 3miler.  Seems a bit pathetic but orders of the physio.  Same again tomorrow if all is well after today then physio Monday.  Calf is already feeling better though so am very hopeful for picking up the training again in the week.  Also got some new trainers which I'm excited to try out!

• Oh - and what is 'USM'? (apologies if this is really obvious!)

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carter_the_Unstoppable_Sex_Machine

Although I hope Carter looks better in shorts.

Carter - We have got all our best results this season against the better teams in the league so your lot should bag 3 points image

• Dobster you are obviously much younger than us 40 somethings....image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPIMr42FuQI