Saturday 2nd March 2013

Morning.

Lyrics - Imagine me and you, I do

What do 'normal' people do at weekends?

What:               nothing
Why:                peak flow further down
Last hard:        sleeping whilst Mark coughed
Last rest:         1/3

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

Beautiful day here: suspect it is rather chilly though!

What: get some fresh air. Whether it is for walking or running will be decided later.
    Why: going to meet friends at a parkrun

LMH:  hope you are able to get at least a walk in.

Lyrics: no

Enjoy your weekend everyone. I look forward to 7D's report on the new parkrun at Delamere: I doubt it will be an easy course. Once led a hilly 5 mile race there until the last quarter of a mile: was then overtaken...by a guy out for a "training run" wearing a full tracksuit.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning

Yesterdays lyrics: No Surrender by tThe Boss ( No not MrsBimage ) Bruce Springsteen

Going to football today and its a noon kick off.

Saw a cracking dawn, blues,reds and yellows

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

sorry to hear that, LMH image - take it easy for a few days.

Had a great tempo sesh last night -  5 x 1200 off 2 min recoveries ended up with 4:51, 4:47, 4:48, 4:49 and 4:47 (that's 6:31 to 6:25 pace image) and I can safely say that I have never run any reps so fast and yet felt so strong. Usually my last rep is my slowest and I'm about to die. Yesterday I could have easily done another one or two. Veeeery pleased image

Is anyone other than wabo racing this weekend?

Going to do an easy hour off road later. Beautiful sunny crisp day.

Then off to the cinema. GOLD - highly recommended German film about 3 Paralympic superstars (a blind Kenyan marathon runner, a German swimmer in a wheelchair and the amazing wheelchair racer Kurt Fearnley) and their quest for Olympic glory. I hope they are going to show it in the UK too. It's supposed to be very very inspirational.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all, 
    Great training Chicka, and enjoy the film.
    LmH - yikes, but as chick says, ease off for a day or two
    Racers - good luck this weekend, wabo , RFJ...7D..?
    what - watching the sunrise with Birks: youngest swimming 6:30-8:30 so onto the country lanes for authentic smells to accompany the sunrise. Bit fresh out but lovely running weather. 14.1 miles in 1h58, so nice & steady , have to say legs felt a little tired though.
    why - good to get out early doors
    last rest - Wednesday
    last hard - getting going this morning
    lyric - dont think so

have a super weekend everyone

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning again!

What: revised the plan and ran the parkrun!
    Why: Dr. Hill told me to run with him! We ran and chatted together for the first 3k but he gradually pulled away over the last 2k as my "good" calf was tightening. Anyway, with the short warm up and warm down that is the furthest I have run since late 2011! Clocked just under 28 mins, about 20 seconds behind Ron. Forgot to stop the watch! The screwed up barcode that I had in the car didn't work, so whether I appear in the results is questionable! Whilst I am quite pleased there have to be reservations: the calf, for one, and the speed: late 2011 I was expecting to run under 20 minutes. I am a long, long, long way off that! I should also be pleased that there were no post-op Achilles issues and that it is only 15 days since my prostate treatment. Onwards and upwards!

Nice morning run, Dustin, nice session, Chick. Enjoy the cinema and don't cause too much troule at the footie, Birks!

Off to watch daughter play hockey, later, if she lets me!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

chickadee - great session.

LMH - normal people don't have mornings like this...... I thought I'd do my training report in a slightly different style today....

It's a Saturday morning and you've planned a lie in, but the sun shines through the bedroom curtains before 7 and you're up and changed into your running gear before you know it.  The training schedule says easy running, no watch, distance doesn't matter.  Bliss. After a spot of breakfast, you take a run around the school grounds and bump into some students.  'Fancy a run?' you shout and are surprised to hear 'Yes, sir' as a response.  The sun has already burned the early frost away as you and your three charges jog off into the countryside.  You want to show them what running can really be about.  Chatting amiably to the boys, you head upwards - the boys dont seem to notice the effort, but you do, although you hide it well.  Reaching the high point of the run you stop, turn around and enjoy the view; Ben Ledi, Ben Lomond, Ben Vorlich, standing proudly with snowy tops under clear blue skies. You do a couple of fast sections, making sure you 'win' the first one then letting them beat you second time around. Returning to school, the boys dropped off, you head out for a few miles on your own.  You pass your wife and daughter out walking the dog and the big cheesy smiles in passing make the day even brighter and better.  She whistles after you appreciatively and for a few moments, you're running on air and thinking like a teenager again: 'She fancies me'.  You speed up as you run alongside a river then up through an open field, the sun beating down and making the whole world look beautiful.  Soon, you're home again and although it's only the 2nd of March and there are many miles to run, you might just have had your best run of the year!

Saturday mornings don't get much better than that! image

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Well done alehouse, superb so soon after treatment.  image

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Thanks, Don! And great post! Ever thought of writing books?! image

• Thank you donaldo - that made me smile.

Alehouse - of course you're going to be a long way off where you were but you ran 5k! This is great new and progress and a starting point. Glass half full and all that. Hoping to take Grace for a long walk in the glorious sunshine this afternoon but doing the weekly shop exhausted me and I'm a little worried about bringing on a full blown asthma attack. I blow 520 when well - it was 380 this morning. Unfortunately my appetite seems unaffected if not increased whereas Mark lost his - so unfair.

chickadee - great confidence giving reps. Film sounds good, hope you enjoy it. I did think of a trip to the cinema as a way of passing the time this weekend but then realised that the pair of us sat coughing may not be conducive to anyone else's enjoyment. At least the cycling is on this afternoon.

Dustin - smellyvision image

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Thanks, LMH:  and just realised I know the lyrics! From about when you were born, if I am right, both on the song and your birth! Came to me when I started trying to hum them.

• I have a very wide ranging taste in music Alehouse - and this seemed apt for Mark and I sat at the breakfast table coughing in unison this morning. I think as a compromise we may drive Grace to the country park for a walk - usually for a long walk we walk there and back as it's only a little over a mile but I think it will be too much for me today and Mark agrees. More I can rest up, sooner I'll be back training - hopefully.

• Good Morning!
    Lyrics: Yes!

Sorry to hear that you are going down with the lurgy LMH. It sounds like you'll be making trips to the garden centre and the tip, sorry, the community recycling facility, and washing the car before watching sport on the TV.

Grey and chilly morning here, although the sun has just peeped out.
    Bike ride with the Group 2's. 11 of us set off, including a couple who were relatively new, and a variety of strengths. It got a bit ragged when the Group leader wanted us to do some hard work out of the saddle, because it completely split the bunch. Then there was a navigational issue, and one of the Senior guys got pissed off, and chose to go for a bike ride on his own. Then the big hill, and the youngest guy felt unwell, and phoned for his Mum. While this was going on the proper group leader had thrown his rattle out of the pram and also pissed off into the distance. The remaining 8 formed up as a tight knit body and we clogged onwards for a nice ride after that! (I did have one dodgy moment with wheel shakes at 40mph after a load of potholes on a big downhill).

Next? Might go for a road race shortly. 5km County relays....That's going to test mettle.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Alehouse - great news on the running front for you - and in such exaulted company. Sure, it will take a while, but you'll get back.

On that basis, so will I....just not yet sure when.
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

LMH hope you are feeling better soon and mark gets rid f his cough

alehouse Good stuff, is Dr Hill who i think it is? image

Donaldo - loved the post  as well image

Chickadee Enjoy the film

Tom hi there

What: 7½ mile cycle early hours
    Why felt like it and weather was ok
    Last Hard: whats one of them
    Lyrics: Not today

other news our new manager has been appointed word on the street is  he'll be good. But still don't know if i will be working nights we shall have to wait and see. Won't know till after April.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Pammie: indeed, it is the Ronald that you think it is. He ran 27:36 to my 27:49, although we started near the back and no-one passed us, so it was worth a few seconds faster. In a few weeks I aim to be ahead of him: after all he is 15 years my senior.

Good to see you, Tom: hope it is not long before you report something running-wise!

Calf is sore, despite lots of stretching whilst watching daughter play hockey. Tomorrow will be a rest day, I suspect!

Interestingly Ron and I were chatting about physios: he has always managed without one. He has always advocated listening to the body and runnning very slowly when there is a problem to re-build muscle:  seems to have worked for him!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Excellent Alehouse image

3rd at Andover parkrun 6:16, 6:14, 6:10, .25, for a 19:05 and a course PB, very happy in near perfect conditions... a few miles before and a quick cool down after.

Bath Half tomorrow, will be a hard effort but probably not in PB shape... but you never know.... the course PB for Andover for me has stood since the 2nd event... I have done it 50 times since then before today.... hence why I am happy

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭

Yay Alehouse!!  Hope no evil repercussions from the outing.

Donaldo  what a beautiful run!

Tom - great to see you here.

Tineke - well done on the stairs.  They are on my list for Monday.

LMH - bad luck about the manflu, but I'm thinking better this weekend that last, perhaps?

Me? 8.5 up the busway.  Why? studies in fueling and pharmacology. Two hours and a bit. Perfect running conditions.  Not a bad day's work, on the whole, but the time is sobering.  Still, there were a lot of reasons why I had no right to expect either that I would get all the way to St. Ives, and no right to expect I would do any better than that with time.  It's been a very hard week, pd stiffness pretty much the worst it's been, haven't done anything in the way of distance for a long time.  Nor did I push myself particularly.  When the last refueling stop failed to produce a lift I caught the next bus home.  There are times to push on to the end, and today was not one of them.

Still, nice to have got the run done.  I may have to work tomorrow.  There is simply too much that needs to be done.  The nice thing about working Sunday is that not many people are in..

Go well all, most particularly Wabo and RFJ racing tomorrow, together with any whom I may have missed out.

• A'noon

donaldo; A great post earlier

LMH: get back soon

ale:Wow you ran with the  Ron Hill.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Birks:  I've run with Ron for the last 40 years! We have a strong "old boys" (and girls these days) ex Uni running network. (Hence my forum name: the club's name when on tour is Alehouse Academicals, coined by my good self back in the 70s! Club colours on tour are a very fetching shade of orange: this is because when we tried to buy t-shirts for our first tour the only colour available in sufficient quantities was orange. Obviously no-one was buying them! Quite fashionable now!)

Wll done, RFJ. Hope Bath goes well.
    Good training, Stickless!

• 5km County Road Race Championships.

Didn't know what the legs had in them, but went out and gave it everything.
    Time 20:32, which a smidgen over 6:30m/m, so I'm, well pleased with that.
    Won a packet of choc chip cookies and a County Medal for my efforts.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Nice one, Blisters! And with bike miles and swim kms in the legs too!

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Good racing RFJ and Blisters - choc chip cookies - must be one of the best prizes ever! image

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    OK - head over parapet time.

To those who acknowledged my previous post(s) - thanks, the sentiments are much appreciated.

Stickless - good to see you still functioning. the Hereward Relay was rerun last week having been postponed from early last November. My club (Fenland AC) had seven teams in it, though sadly I missed both the original and rerun dates through injury. It's a shame as I was keen to give it a go - perhaps next time.

Alehouse - careful with that calf. My uni alma maters were Andy Holden and Malcolm Thomas...though I was strictly B-team fodder.

RFK - enjoy Bath. Beware the first mile slightly downhill, because it's also the last mile considerable (!) uphill - though the finish on Great Poultney Street is pretty cool. I've got some very pleasant experiences there, won a few vets awards there between 2004 and 2006....and also got a glimpse of Blisters and Hilly.

Donaldo - really enjoyed your post this morning...very "Mr Chips" image

For myself - I got my injury fixed last week. Sacro-Iliac joint mobilised - had to wait 8 weeks for the appointment (Mark Buckingham - my current hero). Hurt like bloody hell but worth it. I'm now jogging pain free, but totally unable to engage with anyone on club night. My main annoyance is that I took the injury to a local physio two months ago who disagreed with the SIJ diagnosis, despite the fact that this is the fourth time it's collapsed since 2005!

Oh and lyrics...yes, which is the main reason I posted...that and Alehouse's jaunt with the Doc!
  • Tom, would that be the time that Hilly and I shared a bin bag to keep warm?

- oh, and BRILLIANT NEWS about the SI joint fix.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Great news, Tom! Or is that "Great New Tom"? Onwards and upwards! Hope to gradually hear more from you over the coming weeks. I see two of Holden's sons quite often: they are prominent Alehouse members, and I used to know their Auntie Cathy quite well. I have only ever seen Malcolm Thomas from the back! Ron's take on physios today was quite funny: half of them don't know what they are doing. The trouble is you don't know which half.

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭

Excellent news about the SI joint Tom.  Not very forgiving joints, the SI.  Proceed with due caution.

alehouse wrote (see)

half of them don't know what they are doing. The trouble is you don't know which half.

I think with a lot of these things suck it and see is the only way to deal with it. I certainly tried a lot of things during the stick years.  Some of them did work. A bit. But every bit helps.

Speaking of bits.  Glute meds v. weak.  Have thought of trying to get some roller blades and skating as cross training.  I imagine that might help.  Thoughts?

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Alehouse - I always think of sports therapists as being like plumbers with a bag of tools looking for a leak to fix. The diagnosis and treatment is determined not by the nature of the injury but by the expertise of the therapist in question. So soft tissue therapists (massage), podatrists (people who sell you orthotics), osteopaths (skeletal manipulation), GPs (take a painkiller and rest it) and physios (identifiers of muscular weakness - do these exercises) and chiropractors (mind and body holistic mumbo-jumbo) all leave you feeling desperate and confused....

....personally I'd vote Ukip, if Nigel Farage could fix my injury problems permanently........though I'd draw the line at Nick Griffin's powers of regeneration.

It's as it always was, a runner has two states of fitness...either injured or in the process of getting injuredimage
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Let's hope that there is a third state of fitness: the process of getting uninjured! image

• tinebeesttinebeest ✭✭✭

Evening all!

Tom: nice to hear the SI problem is fixed. Hope it keeps that way- any idea how to prevent it from collapsing?

Alehouse: good return to 5k- you're still running faster than me, easily, so nothing to worry about image

Stickless: not bad training after a tiring week, and while plagued with stiffness.

What: 1hr pilates class

Why: what Tom, Alehouse and Stickless have been discussing: not sure which bit will help, but between an osteopath, a podiatrist, and some classes in yoga, taiji and pilates I seem to be coping much better with building up the miles, and keeping niggles at bay. Some muscle strength is also welcome. (A gnat could wrestle me down, srsly)

Last hard: Friday's stairs

Last rest: Wednesday/today

ETA: ooh chock chip cookies, Blisters? Nice! Well done!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Tom, thanks and hope all can get sorted one way or another....

Well done on the cookies Blisters (and the medal)