2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Stewart,

Happy birthday.

Stuart,

No I didn't.

--------

Thanks guys & well done on everyone's training.

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    MG, great gym session, especially after the drive

Fiona, well done getting an outdoor run

NN, that's a fair amount of miles, good luck on Sunday

SM6, great cross training session, and I'm sure you will smash 200 miles this month

Spark, a tough tempo session well done

Tek, sounds like you were melting at yoga, well done with the recovery run

Thanks for the birthday wishes they are greatly appreciated image no run tonight, sorry NN, but I did go to body balance this evening, I'm glad I've started doing this class is is certainly helping, 6 miles recovery tomorrow with 6 x 100 strides, I'll maybe look to finish my run at the track.

I'm going to try some gel on my 20m run on Sunday looking at the back of the packet it recommends 3 in an hour which sounds excessive, I'll probably be on my feet for around 3:30 how many would you recommend?
  • Stewart C , using SIS gels, take one at 8 m and another at 16 seems to work for me on a 20-23 LR, three per hour seems a lot .
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stewart I'd take a couple just to see if you can stomach them.  Personally I don't use them at all in training (get the body used to burning fat etc.) but I do take a few on race day - about 6 is my limit before feeling sick...

---

6.8m hilly road run this morning.  All fine here..

Happy birthday for tomorrow Nursieimage

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Busy day for the thread tomorrow

03/03/13 Llanelli HM            Jason D

03/03/13 Bideford HM          Night Nurse

03/03/13 Essex 20               Teknik

03/03/13 Thanet 20              Mace

03/03/13 Silverstone HM      AGF

Good luck to everyone!

• macemace ✭✭✭

Nurse - hope the sleep's improving

Tek - LOL @ standing by the fire, that's really made me smile, sorry image A bit like at school ; i hated being late for a lesson as you always had to sit at the front image

Stewart - hope you had a fantastic 42nd, wish i was 42 again image 3 gels per hour DOES sound a lot.

I booked my first ever physio appt yesterday - bit of a problem with the knee which i've been aware of for some time now on and off ( a couple of years i'd say), It doesn't bother me running at all. Infact i never feel it when i'm running but i'm starting to get paranoid about it now as M-Day becomes a reality so think it's best i get an expert opinion if only to hopefully put the mind at ease

• macemace ✭✭✭

Thanks Tek, how nice it is not to have to spend a Saturday morning planning the Sunday long run.

Good luck to you and everyone else running as well

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Thanks Tek and good luck to you too! image

This week I managed a recovery run Monday, one yesterday evening, one this morning and will get another in this evening. Not the best prep for a half, but WILL be back to normal next week! image

Good going everyone and belated happy birthday to Stewart! image
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Good luck to all racing tomorrow!

Nothing wrong with thoses stats Stuart, looks like March will be a big month for most. image

Great tempo running Spark. Not an easy session.

More good training Teknik, hot yoga and hill running.

NN good that you got more sleep, hope they're not working over the weekend with your half tomorrow!

Stewart I take a couple when out for 3 hours so I'd probably have 2-3 for 3:30. For race day I'd have 5-6 (High5 ones which have 80kcal each - lucozade ones have 120kcal each and are thicker)

mace I hope the knee is nothing serious.

7 miles this morning for me.

F

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    MG, that seems sensible I'll take 2 with me

Tek, another good run, good luck tomorrow

Mace, hope the knee niggle turn out to be nothing serious, good luck tomorrow

Jason, hope you hae a good race tomorrow

NN, AGF, good luck tomorrow and I can't wait to hear how everyone has got on tomorrow evening.

6 miles with strides this morning decided to do the strides in mile 4, not sure when you're meant to do them but it was a decent stretch of canal towpath and into a stiff breeze, legs feel good apart from a little tightness in the left calf, nothing that a stretch and a foam roller couldn't sort.
  • Tek good hill running this morning

Fiona C nice 7

Stewart C 6 miles with strides sounds good to me, just got into foam rollers, sem good for ironing out tight muscles

20 miles for me this morning, possibly the best conditions for about. 6 weeks, but still a strong north breeze to battle

2:53.54 with splits at 8.48 8.39 8.43 8.39 8.46 8.46 8.24 8.46 8.14 9.02 9.15 8.54 8.46 8.54 8.52 8.51 8.50 8.31 8.15 7.58 pleased with the finishing couple of miles
  • StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Xpost

Fiona I'm trying the SIS go ones, fingers crossed they will agree with me, well done with the 7, you running long tomorrow

MG, well done with the 20, finishing strong you are right to be pleased
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Just in from a nice easy 4m.

Stewart yes, planning a longer one tomorrow morning, probably down round the canal as it is nice and flat. image It was really breezy here today, well done on getting the strides done.

I have yet to find a gel that doesn't agree with me so hopefully you'll be fine! image

Nice long run MG1, always nice to get it done. I'll be back to Saturday next week for mine.

F

• Spark - Nice tempo session, maybe use slightly longer recoveries? I was using 5 minutes, or half a mile.

Tek - Nice couple of runs, good luck tomorrow!

Mace - Hope the knee is ok

Fiona - Nice couple of runs today!

Stewart - Good running

MG - Fantastic 20, nice strong finish tooimage

-------------

I ran 3.2 miles yesterday, would have done a wee bit more but decided to keep it short when I seen my heart rate was about 30bpm higher than usual when I went out...

Think I've done every bar run todayimage Didn't sleep great (standard stuff for a Friday night) so took a non-running day and have done 6 miles of cycling, half a mile swimming and 8.5 miles hillwalking, with 750m ascent. 

10 and 20 back to back the next 2 days for me.

• MG thats a cracking pace over 20 miles, jealous.

Stuart cheers for that. I usually run that pace over 4 miles straight, Was trying to keep the recovery down to try and get back to what i was doing before. Im gonna try 1m warm up and 2x3 miles next week, ill keep the recovery longer then as you said. 

About to go for 4 miles easy before 15 miles tomorrow. Gonna pick a reasonably flat course for tomorrow. 

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Hi Peeps didn't get much of a chance to get on here yesterday up to my eyes in it at work, lots of reading back and some super running going on I'm looking forward to the race reports tomorrowimage

SC sorry I missed your Birthdayimage 21 again image

Well swam a mile yesterday morning at 7am and got out today for my hill runimage 16 down on my plan for tomorrow but might add a few onimage

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys & good luck to those racing tomorrow.

• So its me Jason Tec and Mace racing tomorrow, good luck guys

MG1 very nice long run splits and lovely strong finish ,one to be proud of well done indeed

StewartC 2 maybe 3 max gels for me on a long run, I dont know why they suggest 3 an hour image I take 4/5 during a whole marathon , have a good run

Spark have a good 15

NP I have a strange feeling you will add on ....image mmmm about 6 miles !image why break the habit of a lifetime ?

Forecast for tomorrow is ok just a bit windy, so whats the betting an out and back course ? bet the wind will be headwind coming back !!! image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Potentially slow course, lack of recent training....should mean that setting off for a PB is a stoopid idea.

Then again, I am stoopid! #crashandburn #couldbe messy # ugghhhh!

NN- I reckon that the wind will change direction so it's a headwind both ways, just getting stronger! At least, that's what happens round here! image
  • Jason thanks for that !! but yes a strange running fact isnt it either that or one of those even more annoying side winds !! as for PBs I have given up on them at my age so its course pbs and over 45 years old pbs I aim for now..

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    NN- 45 here too image
  • I am not 45 now Jason..I will be 51 in an hour and a half !! image maybe I should now chase over 50 years old pbs ...

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    NN- Happy Birthday! imageimage

Why am I up at 6 am on a Sunday morning drinking beetroot juice? Lol!

Have a good race/ LR everyone. image
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday NN!

Nothing like a glass of Beet It jason! image

Good luck all racers, I hope the weather is kind to you and look forward to the reports.

F

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Happy BIrthday NN welcome to the clubimage but 1961 was still a better yearimage

Jason nice t o have you back sir image good luck with the race.

Fiona up nice and early must be going long image
  • Happy Birhday Night Nurse.....

Enjoy your long runs and races today....

I best get up !!
  • Thanks for birthday wishes..

AGF getting up will be a good start image hope you had good hols have a good one today ! you will be surprised how the reduced mileage over the last couple of weeks will really help you today, I had one of my best half times after a 2 week holiday with just a few 4/5 milers to keep me ticking over..went into it feeling relaxed cos I didn't think I had any chance of getting a good time , which I reckon   also helps as I think we can waste a lot of energy getting nervous..

NP but 51 just sounds soooooo old image have a good run

Jason good luck  I havent tried the beetroot juice, has anyone else ? I do love beetroot though image

Fiona so is "just" a long run for you today ?

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NN,

Happy birthday.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Llanelli Half

Ok, not a total disaster given the following: 1. my lack of running for the last 2 weeks, 2. the fact that the new course includes around 6m of trail running along a grit pathimage 3. the fact that it was -4c at the start and +2c by the end, and  4. it was out and back and there was a headwind on the way back- not too strong, but FREEZING!

That's the excuses out of the way, but the bottom line is that I am not where i need to be at this stage. I did lead the race for the first half mile- lol! but finished in around 1.23.xx

Lots of speedwork coming up over the next 5 weeks to sort it, but otherwise I am not forking out loads of cash for VLM to make up the numbers.... 

• Happy birthday NN hope it's a good one

Jason d sounds a bloody good time to me considering the conditions and your prep!!

Having a nice rest today ready for another good training week (hopefully)