Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• PC91..  your mum sounds great!    Please bring her along and I'll buy her a beer and she can tell us embarassing stories of what you were like as a little boy.  image

Run buddy...  no.. forget it...   especially if you are out for a time...  ignore everyone.. this is not a social occasion...  do your own thing and run intelligently.   

•  
    yer_maj wrote (see)
    I've said it before but it's worth a repeat: I'm driving over this year, happy to bring gels or any other requirements (NOT yours DLR) for anybody who may have hand luggage issues. I'll be in Paris from Friday lunchtime

Not even if I deflate her and take the foot pump myself?

TJB - I'm very skeptical about those addidas shoes.  Reads to me like some woeful marketing ploy - like the Reebok zigzag ones from a few years ago or those ones that had springs built into them.  The running companies all jumped on the minimalist bandwaggon and thhey need new gimmicks to keep pushing the market.  If there was any genuine benefit then the elite athletes would have been wearing 'bouncy' shoes for years but they don't they wear flats or spikes.

That said if something makes you feel faster or more confident there's a good chance you will be.  I definitely think there's a placebo effect - same as if you get some new kit for a race - if it makes you feel good you perform better, but switching to shoes with a whacking great wedge of unstable foam under the heel could very well lead to a world of pain for someone running high mileage.

• Could someone kindly tell me when one runs along the river Seine during the Marathon whether one runs along the road or along the cobbled embankment on the same level as the river? Many thanks
  • Hi Alexander - its along the road safely above river level

• Hi everyone, doing Paris this year and thought I'd join the party....and most definitely the post race pints! Reading all the comments really makes it real. Can't wait. This will only be my second marathon after Barcelona last year though I trained for and travelled to New York, for the one that never happened . By the sounds of things Paris will be brilliant so planning to enjoy every minute of it after the NY fiasco.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    NeadG - welcome. You'll love the Paris Marathon, but hanging around with this bunch will not allow you to avoid another fiasco. That's what makes it so much fun.
  • Hi Alexander, NeadG

Following on from DV's advice...I cram absolutely everything I'll need for the run into my hand luggage - socks, top, shorts, plasters, wine gums, water bottle, bag for the bag drop, jumper to discard at the start, the lot.

• BeddersBedders ✭✭✭

I'm in the same boat as you Weedy, just gonna squeeze everything I can into my hand luggage for the flight over, don't fancy paying the extra £30ish for 'hold' baggage!

Great long run again this morning; 22 miles and felt good, and doesnt the better weather make SUCH a difference to your mood?? Had a go with those Shot Bloks whilst I was out too and they seemed to agree with me pretty well. Gonna have another go with them and if it's a success I'm thinking of choosing them over gels for the big day.

On a seperate note, what time are folk looking at geeting to Corcorans in the evening? Would be nice to meet you all, and even more so with a load of ale!

• Hi Neadg and Alexander.

32k completed at 5:30 pace. Lots of minor aches and pains but nothing fell off so feeling mightily relieved and happy. Just demolished 2 pints of banana milk shake and 4 Nutella sandwiches.
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

20 miles with 14 of them at MP done - and my MP was closer to my HM pace so I am very very happy.  Tired, but happy.  So:

Bronze:  4:20

Silver: 4:15

Gold: 4:10

Based on today, barring disasters I reckon it's game on for 4:15 image

• I agree with all the comments on the adidas boost. I've bought Ravennas which I will start using after Paris. Dan was talking them up you'd have thought he worked for them.
  • So, all being well-

Bronze : 3:45 ( not my best but would still be happy)

Sliver : 3:35 (huge effort required - would be a PB)

Gold : 3::30 (ginormous effort + 5 degrees temp. + tail wind...)
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Portugese Tarts are most excellent recovery food.  Mr Maj bought me two...possibly my most favourite things in the world.

DLR:  Don't speak.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    After realising that we have a dinner party tonight at a friends im rushing around to make a chocolate mousse. Finally in the fridge it i admit that ive done something cheeky. I've tried to make my own honeycomb instead of give them my crunchies.... Selfish? Maybeimage

Lets hope they don't taste too bad!
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Emmy - we demand samples image
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Orbutt - will pictures do? image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I managed my 20 mile LSR this morning. Pace was a bit better than my other LSRs at 9:56 m/m average pace. Although my pace really dropped off in the last few miles. I felt like calling it a day at 17 miles but managed to keep going. Found it a real struggle at times, but think I might not have been hydrated properly as my pee was well off the urine chart in terms of colour. image Still find it annoying that my legs seem to be up to the job, but my groin is still giving me grief.

On the plus side my last three LSRs: 18 miles at 11 m/m average pace, 20 miles at 10:32 m/m average pace and todays 20 miles at 9:56 m/m average pace. Heading in the right direction. Got a midweek 16 to do and then Loch Katrine half next weekend.

Simon & yer_maj - Sounds like you both had great runs.

• It was just great to complete it Eggy without my Achilles flaring up. Legs were very tired at the end. I cycled round Lock Katrine a couple of years ago. Really beautiful. But quite 'undulating'....
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

It's been a long time since I've been to Loch Katrine, but from what I've heard the course has it's fair share of hills on it. At least the scenery will look nice while I feeling like death running up hills!

• ATM wrote (see)

'Save Ulster From Sodomy!'...Remember that one...image

ATM - class. Have a fantastic time in Paris.

Dannirr wrote (see)
    The Jimbob wrote (see)
     I do feel alot better about myself in many ways! my previous lifestyle was not sustainable.

Kudos for not just recognising that, but for making the change.  Too many people know it, but do nothing about it.  You're an inspiration Jimbob.

Jimbob - totally echo Dannirr's comments. You do motivational speaking - you might be better able than I to persuade my patients of the need for change?!

• Oh, and 27.5k today, felt very bad.

Haven't read all way back - hope everyone's still on course, some great running out there for sure.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Good luck to ATM running Paris half tomorrow!
  • Sounds like a lot of good running going on everybody. If you found it tough today, remember that 5 weeks out, it's exactly how it is supposed to feel. You are carrying high levels of residual fatigue which you will not have in your legs on race day. So for your long runs, you are running effectively the LAST 20 miles or so of the mara.

Kaz. What kind of milk do you need for your bairn? Maybe I can get what you need from Brussels and it might be a little fresher than what Yer Maj might be able to bring along?
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

hang in there Tricky, there's a superb athlete on his way back

• Evening all. Good luck to ATM and Tartan Pimpernel in Paris tomorrow (make sure you stamp the course nice and flat while you're there), Jimbob (and Megs?) at Silverstone, and anyone else who's racing (was someone doing the Surrey Spitfire?).

Question - I've found a company called Emfraa online who do compression wear, but it seems suspiciously cheap. Anyone ever heard of them or used them? I think they may be American. At the price I'm wondering how much compression you actually get.
  • TD - She uses rice milk, so its long life anyway. A bit of a pain when going away!

ATM/Tartan - Good luck tomorrow.

Right now my legs  feel like I have ran the marathon.image 50 kgs of post today has just about killed any plans of a LSR tomorrow but needs must if I have any hope of getting round.........

• Sorry forgot about TJB and others - Good luck tomorrow too.

• Emmy H wrote (see)
    Weedy- I'm just trying to be realistic. Hopefully I'll get gold. I'll know more tomorrow after my 10 mile race image

This is Paris remember, city of wonder, city of lights, city of magic.

Okay, so, you're stranded on an island. A desert island perhaps. Or maybe a non-desert island. And you know you're going to be stranded there so you're organised and take five discs (or MP3 files) Which five do you take?