P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• Fiona - I am pleased with paces too following this plan (but cutting the odd mile here and there to fit in with life!), and I feel much stronger on the long run than I ever have previously. I seem to remember you are doing VLM too? 

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Fiona J wrote (see)
    I'm on the up to 55. Never run this much before. I'm really noticing the difference with my paces. Should have done it years ago! 
    pottermiss wrote (see)

... I feel much stronger on the long run than I ever have previously.

You are both spot on!  I've been pleasantly surprised how quickly I have recovered from runs that previously wiped me out for days at a time. 

Better late than never to learn about a program like this one.  Once the commitment is made to find the time for the midweek runs, it has to be the most enjoyable marathon program I've come across.  Earlier this week I told the wife I was only going out for a short run - eight miles image  How the perception of distance changes in just a few months!

Al - good luck for tomorrow to you too!  I'm particularly looking forward to being pampered in the pit lanes image.  I had a much worse cough last year when I ran the Milton Keynes Half Marathon (same time as this).  I'd had it for two weeks, then the day after the HM in stinky weather... the cough was completely gone! I'm hoping for the same effect this year.

Good luck to all the racers this weekend, and enjoy your long runs the rest of you. 

• Potter miss - I am indeed doing VLM.

Ten - I've been saying the same thing about those runs!
  • Better late than never to learn about a program like this one.  Once the commitment is made to find the time for the midweek runs, it has to be the most enjoyable marathon program I've come across.  Earlier this week I told the wife I was only going out for a short run - eight miles image  How the perception of distance changes in just a few months!

I can't agree more.

• Chick  that was a very impressive interval session a real confidence booster to finish feeling so strong

Men nice to see you are another one who also managed to get the dreaded LT session done, good luck with tomorrows 22

JF50 enjoy the carb loading, which happens to be my favourite bit of marathon training and good luck with your 20/22

AL have a good run at  silverstone, 

Pottermiss a half 4 weeks out will be fine and learn to love those feet,a little bigger than mine but mine arent dainty either

Ten   I am pleased  the ankle is feeling better and hope tomorrow goes well for you 

Taking today easy, which I hate having to do I feel like I will turn into a big slow blob overnight !!

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Hi Peeps lots and lots of reading back some super running going on well done everyone keep it up, too much to comment on apart for 15West great photos of the dogimage

Well a bad day at work saw me missing a recovery run but todys hill run gave me a week of 80 miles and very happy with the way I feelimage plan was for 16 tomorrow but might add a couple of mile on will see how I feel tomorrow.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Good luck to all Silverstone & Bideford racers! Hope you have a great race, and don't forget to smile for the cameras! image

I'll be doing 22 miles along the river Trent.

• Loads to catch up on again. Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow. Hope it goes well and there are loads of PBs to catch up on tomorrow.

Had a lovely 22 mile long run today along the coast and in the sun for once! Its the best I have ever felt on a long run. Really strong at the end and ran the last 4 miles at sub 6.45 without planning too. Overall 7.20 pace for the 22. It was a real confidence boost, but I'm very aware there will still be another 4 miles to add to that come race day.

Off to watch the wife do her first ever half marathon tomorrow after taking up running earlier in the year. So a nice recovery day and hopefully a day of seeing her thrilled with her new PB!

Enjoy the 22 Lit. Hope it stays sunny for you.

• Chris Superb long run image

Lit/Heow

I am not as young as you two and don't look as glamorous in race pics so I am wearing this so you should be able to spot me

/members/images/86303/Gallery/willy.jpg

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Hope you'll be able to get your club vest on over that, NN...

• Chris J77 - fantastic LT run, very impressed I must say.
  • Can you imagine being chased down by that at VLM?! certainly make you run faster!

• literatin wrote (see)

Hope you'll be able to get your club vest on over that, NN...

image lol

• I am getting one of those.  Seriously.  I need a cock for when I do my CockWatch.  (another story...)

• Come on what story ? hurry up I am meant to be trying to get an early night and shouldnt even be on here I have 13.1@ HM pace tomorrow image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning. Good luck to all racing or running their long runs today. I'll be running my 22 miles this afternoon. Might add a mile or two.

• Good luck everyone with their running today, especially those racing.

I'm sure some pb's will be getting smashed image

Just on my way out for 22 miles, not gonna do anything too fast, gonna try and get a bit more time on my feet today.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Just p....d meself laughing - you're a hoot NN image. Go, smash that PB of yours to smithereens image

Craig: brilliant confidence boosting 22 miler.

Mark, 15w & lit: hope you enjoyed yours. I'm just planning mine. We have a bitch of a westerly wind so my usual route is a no-go as it means 11 miles agains the wind. Will have to do something with it from the side methinks.

Went to the cinema yesterday and watched the most inspirational movie ever. It's called GOLD and it's a documentary made by a disabled German director about 3 outstanding Paralympians. Kurt Fearnley (he needs no introduction - what a hero), Kirsten Bruhns (German swimmer who had a motorbike accident age 22 that left her in a wheelchair) and blind Kenyan long distance runner Henry Waniyoke. I hope they are going to screen it in the UK - it really is worth watching.

• Oh fuck... I am a week behind in the plan, it seems I have worked the dates out wrong and have 8 weeks today until Manchester but have 9 weeks of running left.  ARGHHH!!

• Did the 22 miles today.  Major gut problems however due to haveing fish and chips last night.  Ended up doing shuttle runs between toilets in Windsor park.  Still did the miles though and managed to avoid doing a Paula.

• Surrey - oh dear that doesn't sound great at all.

No running for me. Supposed to be doing 22 miles but feel lousy with sinusitis and a nose running like a tap. Will do 22 next week instead of 17 I think.
  • HeOw - how did you manage that and just as we'll you noticed now.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

HeOw - what you like? Just reduce your taper by a week...image

SR - thank god for park toilets!

Do you think SIS Go Gels with a best before date of June 2012 are ok?!

• I had a similar problems SR, I had a curry and a couple of beers last night so my stomach was rumbling badly this morning!

I think I ran 22 miles because my battery died after about 13 miles, don't know how long it took either!

HeOw - don't worry about about it you'll be ok, just skip a week you'll already have done a lot of the hard work which is building up the miles.
  • Yeah. I wouldn't worry too much about one week Heow. The hard work has Been done already.

Just back from watching my wife do her first ever half. She finished in 2.01 way ahead of expectations. V proud of her achievements. Looking forward to hearing the other PBs later.
  • Chris - congratulations to your wife, she must be thrilled.

15w - I've used loads of gels that are passed their date by quite a few months and never had any problems. Not sure any were 8 months tho'