What to do when you have reached your target milage?

I am pretty new to running, ran a 10k last year and looking to do a few this year.

I have been reading about target mileage that I should build up to with a long run, speed training etc but after I have reached this level through building up weekly and completed my race do I maintain this level or train down a bit?

I realise 10k isn't a massive distance and the weekly mileage should cause over training if scheduled well. 

Comments

• Hi Aaron,

as you say 10k isnt massive, but its still a decent level of running. For you to train well for the 10k i personally would recommend building up to 10 mile LSR's.

this way the 10k is easily achievable and may even feel easy. THEN you can think about speed work if thats the way you want to stay. 

what time are you aiming for?

As for after its up to you if you want to further your running or stay the same mileage but just bust out some speedy sessions (intervals/fartlek etc) 

• Hi thanks for the reply,

Currently aiming to beat my last time which was 55mins, should be achievable as I am enjoying my running this time. The last 10k was more just to see if I could do it and the training wasn't great. I have more of a body building background but I'm trying to be a bit more of an all rounder with my training now.

My main reason for asking was a lot of training plans are all about getting to a certain mileage and peaking for a race but there isn't much info on what to do once you get to that point. With my training back ground I'm used to HIIT to keep cardio sessions down and so I'd definitely say my main focus needs to be on the LSR for now at least.

As far as moving up in distance, currently I'm unsure. I like 10k simply because I am rather busy, still enjoy my resistance training and the runs don't take up an extreme amount of time.
  • 55mins is easily beatable off just slow running week in week out! consistency is the main thing which sounds like you didnt have!

Put it this way, im training for a marathon and off that consistent training ive improved a 46min first 10k time down to 42/43. when i eventually start to crack out the 40 mile weeks no problem, i should be closer to the 40min mark image.

The LSR may seem pointless to alot of people (why am i running slow, if i want to go fast? image) but trust me it works.

once your confortable at that amount of training it sounds almost like you want to say 'been there done that' and move on to the next thing? keeping up a weekly mileage may seem like a chore to most people but its not that hard once your there image

do you really enjoy the running or is it just a sense of achievement? its all really down to your personal goals at the end of the day.

• I do actually enjoy the outdoor runs and planning on making it a lot more consistent this time around. Just currently trying to get my head around the training. I like to know why I'm training and what improvements I will get from it rather than just following a random online plan.

Was a bit unsure of what to do when I reach my target mileage, wasn't sure if it was something you just maintained thought the year while improving on speed training etc.

Wouldn't mind a sub 45 min 10k, that gives me something to build towards anyway!
  • Good, dont think too much into it. just get out there and do some running image

when you at the target mileage, just keep at it, obviously you can do more if you feel or less. speed work will work wonders once your comfortable at the mileage.

i dont see 45 being much of a problem image

• Hi Aaron and Jason, I'm new to running myself and did my first 10K today. My initial goal was to build up the time I could sustain on my feet and I've massively improved. From about 3 mins at christmas to well over an hour now. I want to keep my running interesting and mix it up a bit. Can I do this as well and building up a weekly mileage?

• I don't like targets because you have illustrated very well that targets become limits