Highland Fling

Comments

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Paul - don't worry too much. 4 months is loads of time. I am in a similar position but with a 100 in 6 weeks image just build back up as it allows and get the opinion and advice of a physio if you can.
  • Thanks for all the messages of suport. Unfortunetly, i went out for a quick 5 mile trail run on Sunday and seem to have agrivated the knee. Will give it a wee rest over the next few days (sitting on sofa, having a few beers and choccy). Have a good Christmas everyone.   

• ahoy. how are you all faring now?

i'm very......fat. but apart from that running ok.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I was just thinking about this race!

Really looking forward to it, looks like there are some fast runners entered. I have a 100 in a couple of weeks but The Fling will get my full attention after that.

tda - Plenty of time to hit racing weight yet image

• Looking forward to it more than any of the other races I've signed up for. Upped the training now. Did my first 20 miler of the year today.

Hoping the post Christmas digits coming from the scales will soon start subsiding!
  • oddly i'm moving ok considering. which means that (when/if) i shift 8 lbs or so, i should be looking good. That's the theory image

ive not been unhealthy. it's just we had the in-laws staying and wor lass's mum is an amazing cook.

glad to hear you are all geared up for it. WiB - what's the 100?

20miler. looking good Andy. is this your first fling?

• Found a new route which always makes the miles go by quicker - along the derwent trail to Rowlands Gill and back down the tanfield trail. ( I'm guessing you know the area tda by your wording!) the scenery was stunning covered in snow.

Yep first fling, have a trail marathon planned for next month as preparation.

Will it be your first one?
  • Eeeeeeeek!

TP100 first for me..... in less than 4 weeks image!!!

I guess the Fling is going to be even more of a stagger this year for me than it usually is image. Preparing to come last and enjoy the views!!!! image

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I have just seen the facebook post about drop bags. I guess it is just a case of sticking your number and the aid station to go to on them?

To be honest I will probably not use the drop bag option unless it is just to have a couple of extra gels available in the 2nd half.

Good luck at TP100 image

• Thanks WiB image. Looking forward to it now the river levels have dropped, wasnt looking forward to wading / big diversions!

Yep - drop bags just need your number and station. They usually have four cars at the start - boot open - one going to each separate station, so none of the bags get mixed up.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

The long range forecast looks pretty good so far for TP so I think it will be a good race.

Sounds ideal, the Fling seems to be great. Only mandatory kit is a foil blanket too image Brilliant.

Anyone else flying up? I have an easyjet flight on the Friday, not sure of the time though. Will have to check.

• I reckon you might as well make use of the drop bag option rather than carrying whatever stuff with you the whole way...
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    I don't plan on carrying much image

I will probably make use of one of them though.
  • Paul Dickson 2 wrote (see)

Thanks for all the messages of suport. Unfortunetly, i went out for a quick 5 mile trail run on Sunday and seem to have agrivated the knee. Will give it a wee rest over the next few days (sitting on sofa, having a few beers and choccy). Have a good Christmas everyone.   

Well, had to withdraw after being diagnosed with torn knee cartlidge. Going in for keyhole surgery on 12th March. Gutted, but have asked about marshalling along with Mrs D instead aswei have accomodation booked at Milngarvie the night before the race. Hopefully next year i will be able to take part. image

• aw mate sorry to hear that. i hope you manage to manage to marshall as I know that to be fun. and hopefully that will whet your appetite to come back next year.

i live 9 miles from the start so probably not flying image a friend has suggested we run to the start as a warm-up image

still swithering on the glasgow-edinburgh ultra as a warm-up race. it's a whole lot of canal path though.

drop bag wise I packed too much last year and will undoubtedly do so this year image the abolition of the staggered start might affect that, though. last year I neednt have bothered because there were so many 'leftovers' from all the runners ahead of me! image

• i haven't done any long runs yet image

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    the dude abides wrote (see)

i haven't done any long runs yet image

Still 7 weekends between now and the race... 14 long runs potentially  image

• that's the spirit! image

i'm going to get my Bidie-In to drive me 30 miles from the house on sunday and drop me.

plus i'll be doing a long run on the day image

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Of course... if you include the race itself then you have the chance for 15 long weekend runs. Train for the second half by running the first half?

Hoping to get some solid long training runs in myself. I have had an easy last couple of weeks after a race but I have 1 ultra, 1 marathon and 1 stag do between now and The Fling.

Getting more excited about this race each day image

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

"Train for the second half by running the first half"

Love it. image

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

So is it going to be one mass start this year?  If that's the case be prepared for serious congestion for the first few miles.  WiB - make sure you're right at the sharp end to avoid all that.  Stick close to Jez B, if he's running, and you won't go far wrong.

If folks are going to use one drop bag station make it Inversnaid which always seems less busy and you can get in and out of there much quicker.  Rowardennan suffers from half way syndrome with a lot of people hanging about, and Beinglas Farm is fairly chaotic with a lot of tired and uncoordinated runners stopping and trying to get themselves into a state of mind ready for the final leg.  Best to get through those two stations as quickly as possible.

I've done four Flings, two with extensions, and I've really enjoyed every time.  I think it's the cost of the rail fares now and the fact that I want to try other things that will mean I probably won't enter again. I'm also a bit concerned that the field has got too big for the course.

I don't think there's another fairly tough ultra anywhere that's as low key as this, which makes it really refreshing.  No military types doing bag inspections or giving frightening pre-race briefings.

Looking forward to reading the reports.

cragchick - that's a shame you're withdrawing.  Have you got some other events lined up?

• Yup, one mass start. Don't think it'll hold me back any - I'll be setting out as I mean to go on - near the rear of the pack! image

Doubt Jez will be running this year seeing as he's just finished running the length of New Zealand over some 50 days!

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of fast runners there this year. Jez isn't on the list though.

Cheers for the tip on drop bag locations, I am thinking of using one of them just for a couple of gels and a snack.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I've looked at the Lairig Ghru but wonder how you get back to the start from the finish?     It looks like it would be quickest to run back!!  I thought it was only 17 but perhaps some distance is added on at each end.

• T-Rex - i think there is a bus laid on.

I thought about it but I walked it last year and didn't much enjoy it. too bouldery.