Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

It certainly felt like the last 20 miles today - I kept telling myself that it was the last 20 miles of a 54 mile week and I was meant to be tired.  Which I am.  But I've just had a lovely afternoon with my Aunty just sitting and drinking about 5 mugs of tea so I'm recovering nicely.

Paris Halfers - leave it standing for us, please...

• Kaz. Can bring rice milk if you want. MrsTD knows where to get it in our regular supermarket.

Thanks OO. I keep wanting to believe what you say. It's very hard to train in a focused way without a goal ahead. Maybe second half of the year it'll shake up.

• 2,5hrs on dredmill for me today. ANd surprisingly it felt wonderful. I think it was more about having some time for myself rather than actual running on a treadmill. I could just switch off all my radars, close the eyes at the back of my head and for those 2hrs being just me. Not mum, not cooker operator or soup stirer. Just me

I ran in Vibrams and no sole pain this time. 

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow. Sounds like there's a few events on this weekend.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

RR - I'm doing Spitfire as is Tiddy I believe. I have a bit of a hamstring issue so I'm a little apprehensive.

Tiddy, I'm going to be running round with Shady Ady (Adrian) from the Target 26.2 comp. He'll have his Blue T26.2 shirt on which has his name on it so if you see us do say hello.

Best of luck to everyone for tomorrow!

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Good luck racers tomorrow.  I'll be doing a 5k as we are the title sponsor so I better show up!

20 miles today is lousy (for us) weather. The last 2 runs have felt pretty lousy actually - at this point I think I'll be happy to hobble around Paris. Did 4 laps around Stone Mountain (here in Atlanta) and after the first 2 I felt like crap. BRF joined me for the last 10 and that helped. But was really helped was a little boost I got along the way.  On the first 2 laps I had seen a US soldier in full uniform, including helmet and backpack, pushing his daughter in a pram as he too circled the mountain in the opposite direction to me. We had waved hello.  On this third lap, as I came past him, he yelled out to me "you're a true inspiration Sir".  Now I know I am not, and I'm not sure if he yelled it because he thought some old guy was running well or because he thought I had now picked up some chick (BRF), but either way it did boost my morale!  But mostly because I really respect and admire people in the armed forces for the sacrifices they make - the world over. The politics is a different matter, but that's not their domain. 

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I was on my Dirty Old Man route again today.  I was puffing my way up the toughest 50 metres of the whole run, hoping to get to the top of the hill without dropping my pace when I was jumped on by a dog.  Then Dog's owner felt the need to tell me at length that I didn't need to worry about my figure but most of "the other fat women do".  I tried to explain I was more interested in getting to the top of the hill without stopping but was detained again while it was explained that if he was 20 years younger he'd run off with me....

I feel blessed every time I run that route...image

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

"The Perks of being a wallflower" - terrific movie

• Best of luck to anyone out there running, picking up chicks or being fat and jumped on by rabid dogs...   image

I saw a film with Jennifer Aniston last night...     no idea what it was called, but she was in a skin tight black dress and heels....   wow...  she looks so good for her age..  it was a rom-com and a good film for a Saturday night....  who cares about the film...  its Jennifer Aniston in a black dress...!!

Weedy...   your 5 mp3 question is impossible...   I'll have to think about that...

• Dannirr - are you in Atlanta in early November? American Society of Nephrology there November 5-10th. I'm preparing some abstracts for submission...
  • Well thats 15.25 miles D&D @ 9.50mm average which considering that my legs were absolutely hammered to begin with, I think is good!!image

That also brings my weekly mileage to 51.34 miles which on top of 4 hours of walking everyday is pretty damn good!!!image My plan is now 18 next sunday, then 2 x 20's, then 2 week taper.

TD - Yes that would be good if not too much inconvenience. Thank you.

• Oh, and 27.5k today, felt very bad.

Haven't read all way back - hope everyone's still on course, some great running out there for sure.

• So good it posted twice.

Why does that happen?

Kaz - that's ridiculously good, superb mileage. Maybe I should have had my appendix out too...!

• Just knocked 33 seconds off my 5k PB in the last event in the winter trail race series I've been doing. How on earth did that happen? Hope everyone else racing today has a result like that.

Danni -  you are an inspiration. Not least because of your work.

Kaz - that's great going, maybe Iain's right, maybe we should all have our appendixes out.

• Managed a very steady 7 miles this morning, But it gave me my first ever 50 mile plus training week......

An afternoon of watching cycling on the TV awaits

Good going to everyone else

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Iain - what's gone wrong or was it just one of those days?

I'm off to talk to my local runnind shop about more neutral running shoes today....if you're all really lucky, later I'll update you on how a 22 year old made my arse work properly on Friday, too...

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

And our Suzy is going great guns in the Paris semi according to her fb updates...

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭
    Am in pain from knee. Did 6 yesterday and today. Okay for 4 miles then pain hits. Will see physio this week. I fear the worst. Depressed.com
  • James B73James B73 ✭✭✭
    Wondering whether I could run it with three weeks of rest. Having done two fifteen mile runs, a 17 mile run and a 19 mile run.
  • James B73James B73 ✭✭✭
    And forget target time and just get round.
  • PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that James, hope physio and rest will soon get you back running. You've got some good miles in the bank especially as you run hills.

LSR, 18 miles with 1200ft elevation. Well done Kaz. Iain 17 miles not feeling good, imagine if you were well. image , I ll read back later but hope everyone is getting their miles in.

Feel guilty I didnt go and cheer ATM on especially as she's brought the sunshine.B-)
  • Surrey Spitfire 20 miler done this morning in 2h 33m. Very pleased and a great confidence boost for Paris having been injured around Christmas. Only one more 20 miler and then the taper starts.... Eek!
  • yer_maj wrote (see)

Iain - what's gone wrong or was it just one of those days?

I'm off to talk to my local runnind shop about more neutral running shoes today....if you're all really lucky, later I'll update you on how a 22 year old made my arse work properly on Friday, too...

YM - my prep has been pretty awful, the strength just isn't there, so will be run/walking from 15 miles I reckon.

I am however looking forward to the bum update...image

• Steve D2 - superb running, 2hr33 20 miler, wow. 

PC91 - cheers dude, hoping April 7th is one of those good days for us all!

• Weedy - superb 5k, just checked it on Garmin Connect. Great running. Did you go long yesterday too?

Also, still up for the Ponteland Half next week? Did you do it last year, any idea what the course is going to be like... I'm worried the 'undulations' will kill me!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Dannir - take the compliment as it was intended. It's always nice when someone says something nice to you when you're out running, instead of taking the p155 or telling you to run faster. When the person who delivers the compliment is someone that you hold in great esteem then it means all the more. Well done mate.

Weedy - result. Now if only there was someone on here who knew how to Photoshop Runners World covers. Hmm?

James - see what the physio says. You've got the fitness, you just need to get the injury sorted. If your knee were ok for Paris than I would say that you'd be able to get around on what you've done. Just make sure your knee is good, though.

YM - what type of shoes do you run in at the moment? What brought on the idea to change?

IM2 - go back a few pages and read what Yoda Tricky says about this time in the training plan. Feeling cack is compulsory.

SD2 - wow and that's all I have to say about that

Kaz - I think we can safely break out the WWKD bands. You're back, girl.

Did 32k today and it was hard. However, nothing fell off so a good day. I'm now very achey and I've turned into an old bloke - every time I get up I make a "hnnnhh" noise.

One thing I have noticed towards the end of my longer runs is that I feel very thirsty but I also feel very full, so I don't really want to take on any more fluids. As soon as I get into the house I take on a load of fluids but I just feel like my belly is sloshing.

Paris must be getting close, there's already talk of tapirs.
  • James - sorry to hear. Reckon the priority is working out what's causing it, then working out what you can do to counter that. I wouldn't worry about Paris targets for the time being.

Orbutt - cheers, but no chance of getting me in RW.

Iain - Cheers. Did my long run on Friday, rest day yesterday, so that probably helped. I haven't done Ponteland before, but I had a quick squint at the OS map last night and the hills look fairly gentle (don't quote me on that tho). It's all on minor roads, but not sure if there's any pavement. Guessing not. Can't decide whether to do next weekend's long run as a back-to-back, with 13 on the Saturday, then the half on the Sunday, or whether to treat Sunday's as part of my long run and keep going for an extra 9 after the finish.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Orbutt. Thirsty feeling at end of race? jimbob and bedders have the same 'problem'.image don't worry we'll all help you to find a solution.
  • Yeah I've quoffed a pint and ran a pb so I earned it!
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

2.03...including unscheduled emergency stop in cafe...image Nice lunch.Nice whole afternoon with tartanpimpernel. More,later.